Random Image

memory.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Kitchen Sink Salad.

Dressing:
2 cups Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise)
3/4 cup sugar (I cut this down to 1/2 cup)
1 Tblsp. Vinegar
1 Tblsp. Prepared mustard
black pepper - to taste
Lowrey's Seasoned salt - to taste
Mix above and set aside.

1 can French style green beans - drain well
1 can diced carrots - drain well
1 can red kidney beans - drain well
1 package frozen peas - thawed somewhat
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced pepper - any color
diced ham - optional
sliced black olives - optional
7 oz box ring macaroni (cook & fold in last with vegetables)

I drain vegetables twice, using paper towel to line colander 2nd time. Use your biggest bowl & combine all. Refrigerate overnight.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

I'm posting some "Reunion recipes"

From Callie,

BAKED SLIDER SANDWICHES

One dozen slider buns (Pepperidge Farm makes them but I'm seeing other brands in the grocery store now)
12 slices deli-sliced ham
12 slices deli-sliced turkey
(I can get deli=sliced Oscar Mayer ham and turkey slices in the same package)

3 slices deli-sliced Swiss cheese (cut in fourths to make 12 squares)
3 slices deli-sliced mild Cheddar cheese (cut in fourths to make 12 squares)
(Actually, you can use any type of cheese you want - just make sure it's very thinly sliced)

Split buns and place bottom halves on a cookie sheet - about an inch apart.
Top each with 1 slice ham, 1 square cheese, 1 slice turkey and 1 square cheese  (meat slices have to be folded a bit)

Add top bun halves and brush with a mixture of:

4 TBS. (1/4 cup) oleo (melted)
2 tsps. white sugar
2 1/2 tsps. onion powder or dried onion flakes (I prefer the powder)
1 1/2 tsps. Honey Mustard spread (Durkees)
1 1/2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce

Melt the oleo in microwave bowl for 30 seconds. Then add other ingredients, stir and microwave about 25-30 seconds - or until honey/mustard is dissolved.
Use all of the melted mixture to brush tops of sandwiches. (I like to brush in one direction and then "criss-cross" in the other direction.  Okay to let it drip down the sides.)

Cover cookie sheet lightly with foil and let set at least an hour - longer okay.

Bake about 10-15 minutes at 350º.
If not eating immediately, let cool and wrap each sandwich in foil. Freeze or can keep in fridge for several days.  When ready to eat, unwrap and microwave about 30 seconds.

patricia19

From Amy,

Crock Pot Ham Bone and Bean Soup

You've got a leftover ham bone so let's make some soup. There is nothing much more classic than ham and white bean soup. Use up that holiday ham bone with this traditional soup.

Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
10 hrs
Total Time
10 hr

1 lb of dry nave beans  or Great Northern

1 meaty ham bone

2 carrots diced

2 stalks of celery diced

1 medium onion diced.

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

1 bay leaf.

6 cups of water.

Instructions
Rinse 1 pound of navy or great northern dry beans. Pick through the beans for any stones or pebbles. Cover with water and allow to soak overnight. See notes if using precooked beans.
Under running water, rinse any coating off a meaty ham bone. Also, scrape off any surface fat that you can. Add to a larger crockpot.
Dice 2 medium carrots, two stalks of celery, and one medium onion. Carrot and celery are options but recommended.
Add the drained beans, carrots, celery, and onion to the crockpot. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and one bay leaf. Add 6 cups water.

Cook on low for 10 hours total but at about 8 hours, remove ham bone to a cutting board. Allow the bone to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then remove all meat from the bone. Discard bone and any fat and waste. Place meat back into the cooking board. Allow the bone to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then remove all meat from the bone. Discard bone and any fat and waste. Place meat back into the cooker and finish cooking. This is a good point to taste test for adding salt if needed. Note: Cooking time can be decreased by a few hours if using precooked beans.

patricia19

From Joy,

Here is the recipe for the Autumn Soup

AUTUMN SOUP

1 pound ground beef
                 1 cup chopped onion
                 4 cups water
                 4 beef bouillon cubes ( or bouillon granules)
                 2 tsp. salt
                 1/4 tsp. pepper
                 1 cup diced celery
                 1  28 oz. can tomatoes
                 1 tsp. Gravy Master
                 1/4 tsp. basil
                 1/2 lb. cooked noodles or pasta

Brown ground beef and drain off the grease.  Bring water to a boil
                 and add all the rest of the ingredients, except the noodles/pasta.
                 Cover and simmer 30 minutes.  Add cooked noodles/pasta and serve.

Serves 6

When I make this, I make it in my crockpot and let it simmer for several hours. I think soup has to cook a while so all the flavors can come together.  Just don't add the noodles or pasta until you are ready to serve it.  I usually use small pasta instead
            of noodles, But, that is your choice...

patricia19

Bubble's Winter soup

I do a similar soup but put chicken wings instead of the ground beef. After it simmers for an hour or two, I de-bone the wings, add left over cooked rice. It's delicious!

I put 6 to 8 wings, depending of the quantity of liquid (I don't measure!) and about one cup of cooked rice. It's very versatile, so the proportions don't matter much. Sometime I add 1/2 glass of red wine if I don't have bouillon granules

https://tinyurl.com/3h3aj768

patricia19

From me,

The dressing for the Roasted asparagus is simple and would go well with the asparagus fixed your way or any way. It is delicious, and I am using some of it on my Corned Beef Sandwiches. 

1/2 cup light mayonnaise; 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon juice. (Chill)
Just mix that up and spread it on your asparagus or your sandwich.  I think it would go great on many vegetables.

Amy

Fermented foods are key to a healthy digestive system & that's where our health begins. This brine can be used for many things. Yesterday I made pickled asparagus, zucchini and carrot sticks. Healthier side to a sandwich in place of chips. DD pickles ring bologna - get creative !

1.25 cups white distilled vinegar
1 cup water
6 garlic cloves (peel & crush)
3 T. sugar
2 T. kosher salt

Heat in small pan to dissolve sugar. Don't boil. Arrange vegetables in quart jar, add 3 sprigs fresh dill & cover with warm brine. Let cool a bit then cover. Always keep in refrigerator. Use a tsp. Dill weed if I don't have fresh dill.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Mediterranean Layered Salad

Ingredients
Dressing
1/2
cup extra-virgin olive oil
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2
teaspoons honey
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon pepper
1/4
teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salad
cups chopped romaine lettuce (12 oz)
container (8 oz) prepared hummus
1 1/2
cups cherry tomatoes, halved
medium English (hothouse) cucumber, chopped (3 1/2 cups)
jar (6 oz) Progresso™ marinated artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
medium red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
1/2
cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz)

Steps
Prevent your screen from going dark while you cook.

In small bowl, stir all dressing ingredients together with whisk until well blended.
Arrange lettuce on large serving platter. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Place small dollops of hummus evenly over lettuce. Layer tomatoes, cucumbers, artichoke hearts, onion, olives and feta cheese on top of hummus. Serve with remaining dressing.

Betty Crocker.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

No Bake Kool Aid Pie

Ingredients

1 graham cracker crust
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
8 oz Cool Whip thawed
1 pkg Kool-Aid flavor of choice
Instructions
In a bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk and Kool-Aid packet. Fold in Cool Whip.
Pour into crust.

Place in fridge (4 hours) or freezer (2 hours) until set. Slice and serve. Can serve refrigerated or frozen, but I prefer to just eat it refrigerated.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Apple Bundt Cake

ngredients
Apple Bundt Cake:

1 cup canola oil
½ cup applesauce
½ cup sour cream
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 TBSP vanilla
2 cups light brown sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups apples peeled & diced

1 ½ cup pecans chopped
Pecan Praline Frosting:
¼ cup butter melted
1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
¼ cup heavy cream
1 cup powdered sugar sifted
½ cup pecans chopped
Instructions
Apple Bundt Cake:

Preheat the oven to 350° and grease the bundt cake with shortening, then dust well with flour, making sure entire inside of pan is greased and floured so the cake will not stick.
In a large mixing bowl combine the oil, apple sauce, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar. Mix well.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well.
Mix flour into the sugar mixture, but don't overmix.
Fold the apples and pecans in just until combined.
Pour the cake into the pan and place in the middle of the oven.
Bake for 45 minutes and check if it is done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake.  If it still not done, bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes.When the cake has finished baking, remove from the oven and sit on a cooling rack.
Let the cake sit for 5 minutes, then slide a knife down the side, careful not to cut the cake. Gently shake the cake until it is loose.Flip upside down on a cake stand or plate.  Let the cake cool completely.
Pecan Praline Frosting:
Add the butter, brown sugar and cream to a saucepan and cook over medium heat.  When it comes to a boil, continue cooking for 1 minute.  Turn down to low and cook an additional 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sifted powdered sugar.
Add the nuts and stir.
For a runny icing, while the frosting is still hot, pour over the cake.
For a thicker frosting, using a whisk, beat the icing till it cools a bit.  (This may change the color of the frosting a bit.) 
Pour the frosting around the top of the cake, letting it drip as it wants. Cool, slice & enjoy!
Notes
I doubled the frosting, but this isn't necessary. I divided it and half I used a whisk and whipped it until it was thicker and that made the thicker frosting on the top of the cake. The other part of the icing I poured all over it and let it soak in and drip down. I scooped up part of this and used it when I served slices of the cake.  You can just do one or the other if you want.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Will's Slow Cooker Scrabble (Party Mix)

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 4 hrs
Total: 4 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 16 servings

This party mix is a combination of peanuts, cereal, and pretzels with a variety of spices and seasonings. The mix is cooked in the slow cooker.
Ingredients

2 cups wheat Chex cereal

2 cup corn Chex cereal

2 cups rice Chex cereal

3 cups thin pretzel sticks

13 ounces salted peanuts, or mixed nuts

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

1/3 cup butter, melted

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

Steps to Make It

In a large (double) paper bag, mix together cereals, pretzels, and nuts along with the garlic salt, celery salt, seasoned salt, and grated Parmesan cheese.

Empty the bag mixture into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the melted butter and Worcestershire sauce over all, mixing gently with hands.

Empty the bowl into the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.

Tear open paper bags you used to originally mix the scrabble and spread them out onto a counter.

Spread hot snack mixture onto torn open bags and let dry for a minimum of 1 hour, while letting the paper absorb any excess moisture.

Serve and enjoy or store in airtight containers. Keeps for several weeks without going stale.

patricia19

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Ice Cream Soda

For Amy's Kyle

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 0 mins
Total: 10 mins
Servings: 2 servings

This is an old-fashioned ice cream soda, a fabulous summertime treat. Use club soda, seltzer water, or carbonated water in the delicious soda.

The recipe makes 2 servings, but it is easily halved or doubled.
Ingredients

1/2 cup plain milk or chocolate milk
    6 tablespoons chocolate syrup (we used Hershey's)
    4 scoops of chocolate ice cream (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
    Bottle of club soda or carbonated water
    Optional: whipped cream and maraschino cherries or chocolate shavings (for topping)

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

Divide the milk between two tall 16-ounce glasses.

Add 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup to each glass. Stir to blend thoroughly.

Add 2 scoops of ice cream to each glass and fill with club soda or carbonated water about three-quarters of the way up the glass. 

Top with whipped cream and cherry or chocolate shavings, if desired.

Recipe Variation

Use vanilla ice cream instead of chocolate if you prefer.

patricia19

Mug French Toast

Ingredients

1/4 cup milk

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup cubed brioche bread

1 teaspoon butter

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt.

Toss the cubed brioche with the milk mixture and soak for 1 minute.

Spoon the soaked bread mixture into a 12-ounce mug. (Discard any remaining liquid in the bowl.) Microwave for 2 minutes.

Top with a pat of butter and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy warm.

Tips

Firmer, crustier breads might need to soak longer than lighter breads such as brioche.
    Use care when taking the mug out of the microwave. Since microwave strengths vary and the mug can become very hot, it is recommended to use oven mitts or a thick kitchen towel to protect your hands.

Once you master making French toast in a mug, feel free to play around with the extract and spices in this recipe for fun French toast variations. Instead of the vanilla extract and cinnamon, here are a few other ideas to spice up breakfast. Use in the same ratios found in the recipe.

Almond extract and nutmeg
    Orange extract and cardamom
    Coconut extract and ground ginger
    Rum extract and ground clove

patricia19

Kansas City Rib Sauce

This is a rich, thick, tomato-based barbecue sauce recipe in the Kansas City style. You get that traditional combination of sweet with a touch of heat in a dark, rich sauce.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons/45 milliliters olive oil

2 cloves garlic (minced)

1 cup/240 milliliters ketchup

1/4 cup/60 milliliters water

1/4 cup/60 milliliters cider vinegar

1/4 cup/60 milliliters brown sugar

2 tablespoons/30 milliliters paprika

1 tablespoon/15 milliliters chili powder

1 teaspoon/5 milliliters cayenne

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 20 seconds. Take care not to burn the garlic.

Add the remaining ingredients—ketchup, water, cider vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne, and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer on low for 13 to 15 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally. Watch for burning and reduce the heat or take it off of the burner, if needed.

Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes before using on ribs.

Prior to using the sauce on the ribs, set some sauce aside for a table sauce.

Tips

Store any unused sauce (that hasn't come into contact with uncooked meat) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week after preparation. The sauce can be made up to one week in advance. Simply reheat the sauce on the stovetop or in a microwave to use within 5 minutes.

If you are brushing the ribs with sauce, it should only be done while they are on low heat. The sugar in this sauce will burn at temperatures above 265 F, so this sauce should not be used for grilling. Usually, the sauce is added in the last hour of smoking.

patricia19

Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce

Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins Total: 20 mins Servings: 32 servings

"The combination of mustard and molasses gives barbecued meats a sweet and sour flavor. Mustard barbecue sauce is really prominent in the Carolinas and Georgia where it originated. While this is intended for pork this sauce can be used on chicken and beef as well. Don't be afraid to experiment. There are many different ways you can make this sauce.

For example instead of molasses you could use brown sugar. Instead of black pepper and cayenne, you could use chili powder or hot sauce. You could even combine white, black, and red pepper varieties. The possibilities are endless and they will make your dishes taste even more like authentic southern cuisine. Who knows, it may even become your preference to tomato-based barbecue sauces."

Ingredients

1 cup/240 milliliters prepared mustard

1/2 cup/120 milliliters molasses

1/4 cup/60 milliliters cider vinegar

1/4 cup/60 milliliters honey

1 tablespoon/15 milliliters oil

1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters powdered oregano

1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters powdered thyme

1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters cayenne (optional)

Pinch of salt

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan. Add enough vinegar to make a mixable paste. Mix well.

Place over high heat and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and let the sauce cool completely before using.

If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. The sauce becomes more flavorful after a day or two.

Amy

Copycat Starbuck's Blueberry Muffins.

Ingredients
Streusel Topping
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup flour
Muffin Batter
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk or buttermilk
3 teaspoons melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
1 tablespoon flour this is for dusting the blueberries
Equipment Needed
Muffin tins

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Prepare streusel topping
Mix melted butter, sugar, lemon zest, and flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
Blueberry muffin preparation
Whisk melted butter, vegetable oil, eggs, and milk (or buttermilk) in a bowl. Whisk until the mixture is uniform.
In another bowl add 2 1/2 cups of flour that you have sifted, baking powder, baking soda, and stir to combine.
Combine the whisked egg mixture and the dry ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the blueberries, then add the blueberries to the muffin batter, stir only until they are mixed. If you overmix the batter after you add the blueberries the blueberries will burst and turn the batter purple.
Grease muffin tin with non-stick spray.
Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full of batter. Top with streusel mixture.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375 and bake for another 10 or 15 minutes.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Copycat York Peppermint Patties.

Ingredients

4 cups powdered sugar
⅓ cup corn syrup
⅓ cup butter
4 or 5 drops peppermint extract
8 ounces dark chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening

Instructions

Sift the powdered sugar.

In a medium-sized bowl add powdered sugar, corn syrup, butter, and peppermint extract. Blend with a mixer until smooth.

Portion the mint candy into bite-sized balls. Refrigerate the balls for about 20 minutes.

When you ready to dip the patties, press them with the bottom of a glass.

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening. Stir to combine.

Drop the peppermint patties into the melted chocolate, flip over, and then place the dipped peppermint patties on either a silicone mat or waxed paper to dry.

Recipe Tips for the Cook

If you do not want to use vegetable shortening, you may substitute coconut oil or butter.  Vegetable shortening gives the best results. 

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

You didn't like Kyle's old fashioned chocolate ice cream soda?   :-\  :'(  ???  ;)   

Amy

Patricia, I didn't scroll back far enough!! Well....I for one would dearly love that but Kyle would be.....vanilla.. yet he does love chocolate.
I do have ice cream on hand and the way the weather has been this may be our drink on the verandah tomorrow......thank you.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Chicken Salad with Grapes

This chicken salad recipe includes grapes, celery, and walnuts. It's simple and easy to make in bulk on the weekend so that you can have sandwiches or lettuce wraps (or spoonfuls) all week. It's the perfect weekend meal prep recipe.

You will need about 1 pound of cooked chicken. I sometimes grill mine on my cast iron grill by brushing with olive oil and adding salt and pepper to each side. This time, I just used a leftover rotisserie chicken from the store.

Sometimes, I substitute sour cream for mayo, like in homemade ranch dressing. You can use yougart, mayo, sour cream, or a mixture of both for this chicken salad.

You can use leftover roast chicken, slow cooker whole chicken, poached chicken breasts, or whatever cooked chicken meat you have. You can even use canned chicken in a pinch!

Here's a tip: shred the chicken. Don't chop, shred. I used two forks to do this.

There is more surface for the sauce to stick to when you shred it, and it will stay in your sandwich better without falling out the sides as much. Physics, people.

Add to the bowl 2/3 cup of mayo or sour cream, or 1/3 cup of each. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add some fresh parsley, and mix.
    Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and mix well.
    Quarter some red grapes and slice some celery very thinly. Add them to a large bowl, along with some chopped walnuts and red onions.
    Mix together, and you're done!

Variations

Try adding other fruit, like apples, or other nuts, like almonds or pecans. It's super versatile!
    I love the parsley in this, but it would be great with other herbs like mint or dill.
    Serve it on bread, or try on lettuce wraps for a low-carb version, or simply served on a bed of greens. I also love eating it for a snack with crackers straight out of the fridge!

Go ahead, try a spoonful. Or 7.

This recipe makes a bulk batch of chicken salad with grapes and walnuts, which is enough for 6-8 sandwiches. Elizabeth-sized sandwiches. I don't mess around.

If you want less, adjust the ingredients accordingly :-)

Ingredients

2 cups cooked chicken shredded (such as rotisserie)
    2/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
    1/4 cup red onion finely diced
    1/2 cup red grapes quartered or halved, depending on size
    1/2 cup celery diced
    1/4 cup walnuts chopped
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more if needed
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more if needed

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise (2/3 cup), salt (1/2 teaspoon), black pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and fresh chopped parsley (2 tablespoons).
    Add the shredded chicken (2 cups), halved or quartered grapes (1/2 cup), diced celery (1/2 cup), chopped walnuts (1/4 cup), and diced red onion (1/4 cup). Stir well to combine.
    Serve on sandwiches with toasted bread, on lettuce wraps, or on top of a green salad.

Notes

Walnut substitution: Not a fan of walnuts? You can use slivered or sliced almonds, or chopped pecans, instead. For a nut-free version, use sunflower seeds in place of the walnuts, so you still have that awesome crunch.
    For a mayo-free version, try sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
    Mix it up! Fruits are great in chicken salad- try using dried apricots, chopped apples, or even strawberries in place of the grapes.
    Storage: store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.

Author:  Elizabeth @ Bowl of Delicious

patricia19

The following is a pre annual summer favorite,

Creamy Cucumber Salad with Yogurt and Dill

Ingredients

1/3 cup Greek yogurt
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 English cucumbers sliced thinly (see notes)
    1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion

Instructions

In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt (1/3 cup), extra-virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons), apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon), chopped fresh dill (2 tablespoons), kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon), black pepper (1/4 teaspoon), and honey (1 teaspoon).

Add sliced English cucumbers (2) and thinly sliced red onion (1/4 cup) to the bowl. Toss together to coat.

Serve immediately (see notes on making ahead).

Notes

If prepping ahead of time, mix the dressing and store in a separate container from the sliced cucumbers and onions. Just before serving, toss everything together. Otherwise, the cucumbers will get mushy and the dressing quite watery if it sits too long already dressed.

If using regular cucumbers instead of English, I recommend slicing lengthwise and scooping out the seeds and peeling them (fully or partially). This will help decrease the water content of the cucumbers and also help take away some of the bitter flavor and tougher texture of the peel.

Ingredient substitutions: lemon juice may be used instead of apple cider vinegar, sugar or agave used instead of honey, sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. Onions may be omitted or substituted with green onions for a more mild taste.

Elizabeth@bowlofdelicious

patricia19

Air-Fryer Bacon Egg Cups

Total Time
    Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. Makes: 2 servings

Ingredients

4 bacon strips
    4 large eggs
    1/3 cup half-and-half cream
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    2 green onions, chopped

Directions

In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

Preheat air fryer to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs, cream and pepper. Wrap 2 bacon strips around the inside edges of each of two 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray.

Sprinkle each with half of the cheese and onions. Divide egg mixture between ramekins. Break 1 of the remaining eggs into each ramekin.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onion. Place ramekins on tray in air-fryer basket; cook until eggs are completely set, 15-20 minutes.

Remove from basket; let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Facts

patricia19

Sheet-Pan Chicken Curry Dinner

Total Time Prep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. Makes  6 servings

Ingredients

2 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
    1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
    1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
    6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds), skin removed
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/4 cup chicken broth

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with heavy duty foil. Place sweet potatoes, cauliflower, onion and garlic on prepared pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper; toss to coat.

Arrange chicken over vegetables. In a small bowl, mix paprika and remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper; sprinkle over chicken.

Roast until vegetables are almost tender, 30-35 minutes. Drizzle with broth; bake until thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender, 7-10 minutes longer.

Great for either leftovers or meal prep!

patricia19

Rhubarb Crisp

Total Time  Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, thawed
    2 cups sliced peeled apples or sliced strawberries
    1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Vanilla ice cream, optional

Directions

In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add rhubarb and apples or strawberries; toss to coat. Spoon into an 8-in. cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet.

In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° until crisp is bubbly and fruit is tender, about 45 minutes. If desired, serve warm with ice cream.

patricia19

Easy Burgers with McCormick

Flavorful burgers are easy -- just add a sprinkle of garlic salt and pepper to the meat before shaping into patties.

5m Prep time  12m Cook Time 345 Calories 5 Ingredients

Ingredients

4 Servings

1 pound ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Salt
    1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Pepper Black
    4 hamburger rolls

Instructions

Mix ground beef, onion, and seasonings. Shape into 4 patties. Sprinkle with additional garlic salt, if desired.

Grill over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through (internal temperature of 160°F). Toast rolls on the grill, open-side down, about 30 seconds.

Serve burgers on toasted rolls with desired toppings and condiments.

I use my Lodge cast iron grill pan over medium heat or in the oven at 160°F

I also don't have any items from McCormick.....Shhhh...

patricia19

Simple Pasta Salad

prep: 15 mins cook: 12 mins additional: 3 mins total: 30 mins Servings: 12

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package uncooked rotini pasta
    1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing
    2 cucumbers, chopped
    6 tomatoes, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Directions

Step 1

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 12 minutes, until al dente, and drain.

Step 2

In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the Italian dressing, cucumbers, tomatoes, and green onions. In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, and gently mix into the salad. Cover, and refrigerate until serving.

Amy

Patricia, that is a complete meal with those three recipes.  I have some rhubarb and will try
 that..also have canned peaches that may also be put in the crisp! Thank you!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

I liked #410, 411 and 412!

Those I make a lot with, of course, my substitutes!

I love cukes.

Amy

Granny's Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup shortening
1 large egg, room temperature
5 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon white vinegar
FILLING:
3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 350°. For filling, in a large bowl, combine rhubarb, apples, pineapple, honey and lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour; add to rhubarb mixture.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.

4. Bake until crust is golden brown and the apples are tender, about 1-1/4 hours.

Taste of Home

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

I remember, Amy, as a child, we always had pickled food. Eggs, beets, onions were the most common on our dinner table. Here is one pickled egg recipe I found yesterday that was very similar to hers.

Classic Pickled Eggs

Prep: 10 mins Cook: 15 mins Additional: 1-week Total Servings: 12

Original recipe yields 12 servings

Ingredient Checklist

12 small eggs
    3 cups white vinegar
    ¼ cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 cloves garlic
    1 bay leaf

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Step 1

Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.

Step 2

Bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Step 3

Place eggs, garlic, and bay leaf in a 1-quart mason jar; top with vinegar mixture. Seal the jar and refrigerate for at least 1 week.