Random Image

AZ MAY 2004 (76).JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Citrus-Herbed Baked Salmon

Prep: 10 mins cook: 25 mins total: 35 mins Servings: 4 Yield: 2 8-ounce fillets

Ingredients

4 lemons, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 large red onion, sliced
    2 (8 ounce) salmon fillets
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    ½ teaspoon sea salt

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put two large squares of aluminum foil onto a large, flat work surface.

Step 2

Make a bed of lemon slices in the center of each foil square; top with red onion. Lay a salmon fillet atop each pile of lemon slices and onion; season with basil, dill, and sea salt. Fold edges of the aluminum foil over the salmon and seal completely.

Step 3

Bake in the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 25 minutes.

Step 4

Remove salmon from the foil pouch, place on a plate, and drizzle juices from the foil pouch over the fish.

patricia19

How to Make 'Steakhouse Butter' at Home

What is steakhouse butter?

Steakhouse butter is really just a compound butter that you put on steak. It's an indulgent move that gives your steak an extra bit of richness and mouth-coating fat, and which—much like a board sauce—keeps everything moist and flavorful, even if you accidentally overcook your steak a tad. You can add whatever you want to your steakhouse butter, though common favorites include garlic, blue cheese, capers, and Worcestershire sauce.

Making steakhouse butter is easy—you just add stuff to softened butter, mix and mash it all around, then roll it into a log and chill it until it's sliceable. If this sounds vaguely familiar, it's because I've written about these types of butters before, including duck fat butter, black garlic butter, and brie butter. Any of those would be delicious on a steak (or steakhouse-style vegetables), but I've recently been very into the caper-flecked horseradish butter.

Have I been adding a pinch of MSG to it? Of course. Nothing accentuates the meat-eating experience like a bit of glutamate salt.

How to make horseradish steakhouse butter

To make this super savory steakhouse butter, you will need:

1 stick (8 tablespoons) of salted butter
    2 tablespoons non-pereil capers
    3/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    About 6 grinds of fresh pepper
    1 pinch of MSG
    1 pinch of sugar

Let the butter soften at room temperature, then add it and all the other ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mash and blend with a fork, then scrape everything onto some plastic wrap and roll it up into a log shape. Chill for at least an hour—or until firm—then slice it and put it on things. Suggested things include steak, but also potatoes, and asparagus, and roasted carrots, and crusty bread. Do not limit yourself to using your steakhouse butter on steak, is what I'm saying.

Claire Lower, Author

patricia19

Key Lime Pie

From A Family Feast

Ingredients

Crust

2 sleeves graham crackers (18 crackers)

½ cup brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

10 tablespoons melted butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)

Filling

8 large egg yolks

2 tablespoons Key lime zest

10 tablespoons Key lime juice (approximately 16–18 key limes)

2 14-ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk

Topping

1 ½ cups heavy cream

½ cup confectioners' sugar

Additional Key lime zest or Key lime slices for garnish
Instructions

This pie will fit into a 10" deep-dish pie plate.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the graham crackers into a food processor and process to crumbs.

Add brown sugar and salt and process for a few seconds to incorporate.

Add melted butter and process long enough to blend the butter into the crumb mixture.

Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 10" pie plate.

Bake for 15 minutes, then cool while you make the filling.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks for three minutes on medium-high until they are pale in color and look creamy.

Zest the Key limes before squeezing the juice and add the zest to the eggs, and mix.

Squeeze the juice and add to the bowl along with the sweetened condensed milk and whisk to incorporate all ingredients, scraping the bowl once or twice to make sure everything is blended.

Pour into the baked pie shell and place back in the oven for 15 minutes. The pie sets up quickly when baked and will seem firm and not runny when it is done.

Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight.

When ready to serve, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks, then add the powdered sugar, and then beat to stiff peaks.

Place whipped cream into a piping bag with a star tip and decorate as you will.

Sprinkle on Key lime zest or Key Lime slices before cutting and serving.

patricia19

Soft Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls from The Clever Carrot's recipes

Ahh... sourdough cinnamon rolls. Soft, feathery scrolls of luscious sweet dough filled with swirls of warm cinnamon sugar. Can you think of anything cozier for breakfast (besides a slice of warm and toasty sourdough bread)?!

I must confess however, I wasn't always a fan. Traditional cinnamon rolls were always too sweet for my taste and all that heavy, sugary glaze made me nauseous. And plus, with all the recipes out there (and there are tons) I thought to myself: does the world really need another cinnamon roll recipe? Turns out, the answer is yes.

Why This Recipe Works

Rolls are baked in a 9-inch springform pan. This is my secret. The higher sides trap in more moisture, keeping the rolls soft, light, and luxurious. The rolls will rise higher as they bake too.
    Bubbly active sourdough starter lends a lovely flavor that will make you weak in the knees!
    Rolls can be made in advance! I'm sharing my fool-proof methods to fit any baker's schedule.

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2017/12/how-to-make-sourdough-cinnamon-rolls-step-by-step-guide/

patricia19

BBQ Chicken with Coleslaw

From Real Simple

hands-on: 20 mins
total: 50 mins
Servings: 4

Making baked BBQ chicken at home is surprisingly simple. You'll start by baking split chicken breasts and then finish them under the broiler with a slick of your favorite sauce. Easy peasy. The real star of this recipe might be the coleslaw, which combines the classic mix of shredded carrots and cabbage with sweet mini peppers and a mustardy dressing. It's a fresh take on a classic, crowd-pleasing dinner.

P.S. The slaw has a bit of sweetness from the honey, but if you'd rather it contrast with the sweet chicken, leave it out. 

Ingredients

4 12-oz. bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, patted dry
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
 ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
 1 16-oz. pkg. shredded coleslaw mix
6 sweet mini peppers, halved, seeded,
and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1 cup)
¾ cup sour cream
1 ½ tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
 tablespoon honey
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce, divided

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 450°F with rack 6 inches from heat. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Roast until skin is crisp, about 25 minutes.

Step 2

Meanwhile, combine coleslaw, mini peppers, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, honey, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼                             teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl; refrigerate.

Step 3

Remove chicken from the oven. Increase temperature to broil. Turn over chicken and brush with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce. Broil until sauce is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn chicken skin side up. Brush with ¼ cup barbecue sauce. Broil until sauce is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Brush tops with remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce. Broil until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of the chicken reads 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with coleslaw.

patricia19

Big Burger Bowl
Elyse Kopecky, Co-Author of Run Fast, Eat Slow

Elyse Kopecky lets her body tell her what she should be eating. "Right now, I'm pregnant, running, and writing book number two, so my appetite has been crazy. My body is craving red meat, so I've been hooked on making burger bowls with grass-fed ground beef or bison," she says.

A burger bowl (the recipe below will be featured in the upcoming book Run Fast, Eat Slow: Volume 2) is a lot like a burrito bowl: it has a scoop of brown rice at the bottom, a patty over that, and tons of fresh veggies smothering the top.

"I love topping it with guacamole or sliced avocado," says Kopecky. Following her book's principle of "indulgent nourishment," Kopecky doesn't believe in skimping or deprivation; instead, she votes for meals (like this burrito bowl) that feel like a treat but are jam-packed with nutrients.

Ingredients

2 cups short-grain brown rice

1 egg

1/2 cup crumbled feta

1/4 cup almond flour

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 pound ground bison, beef, lamb, or turkey meat

1 bunch asparagus, drizzled with olive oil

1/2 red onion, drizzled with olive oil

Salsa, guacamole, and cilantro (optional)

Directions

Cook rice according to package directions.

Preheat grill to medium-high. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg, feta, almond flour, salt, and pepper. Add meat and mix without overworking. Form into four equal-size patties about one inch thick.

Grill burgers about three to four minutes per side, or until a thermometer placed in the center reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit and the meat is no longer pink.

While burgers are cooking, grill asparagus and red onion; chop when cooked.

Divide rice into four servings. Top each with a burger, grilled veggies, and a generous scoop of guacamole, salsa, and cilantro (if using).

P19 says Instead of a grill,  I use my Lodge cast iron grill pan with a lid and splatter guard.

JaneS

It sounds good and I got all the way to the bottom of the recipe before I noted that I don't have a grill OR a cast iron pan.  I'd really have to improvise!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

patricia19

Any good heavy-duty frying pan would work. I just like the Lodge cast iron brand I grew up with. I have a seven-inch, a ten-inch, and a 12 inch cast iron fry pan.

A few months ago, after seeing my friends' Lodge grill pans and seeing the reviews, I bit and bought my own with its accompanying lid. After spending time wiping down my stove, I purchased a good 13-inch splatter guard so no more messy wipe downs.

I keep the pans well oiled, and I never go higher than medium on the burner or over 350° in the oven.

patricia19

Chocolate-Hazelnut Fudge

prep: 25 mins total: 5 hrs 20 mins Yield: Makes 8 slices

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups blanched hazelnuts
    Unsalted butter, room temperature, for brushing
    3 cups chopped dark chocolate (14 ounces)
    1 1/2 cups chopped milk chocolate (7 ounces)
    1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden and fragrant, about 14 minutes.

Step 2

Lightly brush a standard 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with butter; line in both directions with parchment. Melt 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate in a medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Brush loaf pan all over with half of melted chocolate; freeze 5 minutes. Brush again with remaining melted chocolate and freeze 5 minutes more.

Step 3

In a medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt remaining 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate with milk chocolate, stirring together until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in hazelnut spread and hazelnuts. Pour into chilled chocolate shell and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours. Trim chocolate around top of loaf pan with a paring knife. Let temper 30 minutes before slicing crosswise into 8 pieces. Torrone can be refrigerated, covered, up to 2 weeks.

Cook's Notes

If you can't find blanched hazelnuts, toast them with the skins on, then rub them with a kitchen towel while still warm to remove as much skin as possible.

patricia19

Roast Chicken with Parsnips and Swiss Chard

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled, halved crosswise then lengthwise (thicker pieces halved again)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (10 to 12 ounces each)
1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, leaves coarsely torn and stalks cut into 1-inch lengths
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss parsnips with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Push parsnips to sides; place chicken in center, and season with salt and pepper.

Step 2

Roast, tossing parsnips occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees, 30 to 35 minutes

Step 3

Meanwhile, cook chard: In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium. Add stalks, and cook, tossing, until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add as many leaves to skillet as will fit; season with salt and pepper, and toss. Continue to add leaves in batches as there's room in the skillet. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until chard is tender, 3 to 5 minutes.

Step 4

Remove chard from heat, and stir in vinegar. Serve roast chicken with parsnips and chard

patricia19

Open-Faced Grilled Cheese with Apple and Bacon

Ingredients

Bacon slices
    4 thick slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread
    8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
    1 large red apple

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 4 slices bacon on a rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment paper for easy cleanup); bake until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels; tear each slice into quarters.

Step 2

Place 4 thick slices whole-wheat sandwich bread on clean baking sheet. Top with sliced cheddar cheese, red apple, quartered, cored, and sliced crosswise, and bacon. Bake until cheese has melted, 10 to 12 minutes.

patricia19

Peach-Guava Pops

Martha Stewart

Ingredients

3 peaches (1 pound), peeled, pitted, and chopped (2 cups), plus 2 firm but ripe peaches, sliced into scant 1/2-inch wedges
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 2 strips peeled zest, each 1 inch long (from 2 to 3 limes)
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
3/4 cup guava juice

Directions

Step 1

Purée chopped peaches with 2 tablespoons lime juice. In a large bowl, toss sliced peaches with sugar, salt, and lime zest. Stir in peach purée; toss to combine. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and peaches are glossy, about 20 minutes.

Step 2

Strain mixture through a coarse-mesh sieve, pressing lightly to extract as much juice as possible, and reserving peaches. Stir together strained peach juice (you should have about 3/4 cup), guava juice, and remaining 1/4 cup lime juice.

Step 3

Divide reserved peaches evenly among ice-pop molds; top with juice mixture. Freeze until firm, at least 6 hours and up to 5 days.

Other fruit juices, like watermelon or orange, also work well in this recipe.

patricia19

From Real Simple

" 6 Cilantro Substitutes for People Who Hate the Stuff

Good news, there's a reason you hate cilantro—and plenty of easy cilantro substitutes you can use in any dish.
By Kimberly Holland
Updated June 25, 2019

cilantro-alternatives

Food preferences bring out fun banter, and that's especially true when it comes to cilantro. Indeed, this light, leafy green herb draws the ire, or sometimes the adoration, of food lovers faster than nearly any other ingredient in the supermarket. While it might be appreciated for the grassy, fragrant hints of delicate citrus, it brings to dishes from guacamole to enchiladas, this plant, formally known as Coriandrum sativum, is often derided for what Julia Child once called "a dead taste." Love it or loathe it, there's a reason why cilantro draws such passionate feelings, and it's (almost) all to do with your genes.
The scientific reason you hate cilantro

A study from researchers at Cornell University sought to unearth the pressing question of why some people like cilantro and some people don't. They surveyed 30,000 people about their preferences and then used those results to look for common genetic traits. What they found is that a specific gene—OR6A2—may determine your relationship with cilantro.

This receptor gene is responsible for coding messages from aldehyde chemicals. These chemicals also happen to be found in soap and some bugs. This may be why, anecdotally, some people say that cilantro tastes like soap to them. (And if they knew what bugs tasted like, perhaps they'd also draw that comparison. Let's hope they don't.)
You're not alone—here's how many people dislike cilantro

As you can imagine, researchers often have more pressing topics to tend to, but certainly, some have looked at this culinary curiosity in the past. The results show that the dislike for the herb may be less common than you imagine, but it's certainly not an insignificant number.

A study in the journal Flavour found that people from specific geographic regions are more likely to dislike the food. For example, 21 percent of East Asians reported not liking cilantro, as did 17 percent of people of European descent and 14 percent of people with an African ancestry.

However, just 3 to 7 percent of people from South Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East feel this way about cilantro. Of course, cilantro is native to the eastern Mediterranean, explaining why so few in the Middle East dislike it. Culinary traditions in some of these regions also don't heavily use the leafy herb, which may mean fewer people are exposed to it in their formative years.
Good news: you can actually train yourself to like cilantro

Reactions to foods are largely born out of previous experiences with foods—and an innate sense of self-preservation that served our ancestors well when they sought food from random plants, twigs, and berries. In other words, when you eat something that's really sweet, you know it's likely to be "safe" because other sweet foods you've eaten are safe. But bitter isn't necessarily a "safe" taste. Many foods that aren't great for you are bitter, so your initial reaction to them might be less than flavorful.

That's also the case for cilantro. The herb can be described as bitter and even metallic for people who aren't familiar with or don't appreciate the taste.

Just because your first experience (or the first several dozen) with cilantro wasn't so stellar doesn't mean you'll never grow to appreciate it. If you want to like cilantro, keep trying it. Each new experience with it will change the way the food Is coded in your memory so that you may begin to appreciate it.

To help you get started, consider crushing it before you add it to a food. One study found that this action helps release an enzyme that turns down the amount of aldehyde in the leaves and creates a milder, more appealing taste. Secondly, use it in a dish you know and love. Guacamole or salsa is a great example. Unfamiliar foods may further jade the experience.
Best cilantro substitutes

It's honestly not the end of the world if you can't stand cilantro. No, really. Lots of dishes can be made without it, and you'll never know what you're missing.

Even in dishes that seem inherently made for cilantro—chimichurri comes to mind—you can experiment with other herbs or leave them out and spice up the flavor with ingredients like fresh or roasted garlic, red pepper, or flavored oils.

If you have a recipe that calls for dried cilantro or ground coriander seeds (this is the seed of the cilantro plant), these substitutes may work:

Cumin: In Asian, Latin American, and Middle Eastern dishes, cumin frequently goes hand in hand with coriander. The nutty, spicy notes of this ground seed are at home in everything from guacamole to seasoned beef for tacos.
    Curry Powder: This spice mix contains several types of dried herbs and spices, including coriander, ginger, turmeric, and chili. The depth of flavor can fill in for coriander alone in any dish—it's especially great in soups and marinades—and the other flavors may cover up any errant tastes you pick up.
    Caraway: Caraway and coriander are almost interchangeable. Their flavor profiles are so similar, and you can use it easily any place you're supposed to use coriander. However, the flavor is a bit sweeter, so it's delicious in marinades and spice rubs where roasting or grilling amplifies the flavor.

Fresh cilantro is prized for its zippy citrus tang and grassy freshness. If you need a good cilantro substitute, look for these fresh herbs instead:

Basil: Cilantro pesto is incredibly delicious, but you may be familiar with its close cousin, basil pesto. Though basil is sweeter than cilantro, they both add a bit of zip to any dish that calls for them. Thai basil, which you may have to find at your local farmers' market, even has an edge of spice that's welcome in dishes like curries and stir-fries.
    Parsley: Grassy and green, parsley is a very close cousin to cilantro. (They're often mistaken for one another in the supermarket.) Though parsley is more bitter, it brings out a lot of freshness in other ingredients, like vegetables and fruits. To get a citrus zip, which parsley lacks, add some lemon or lime juice to the dish.
    Dill: Cilantro and dill look nothing alike, and their flavors are quite distinctive, but dill imparts interesting notes in everything from cold soups to potato salad. Use just a little; it's quite potent. Add more if it's not vibrant enough."

patricia19

I purchased chicken and spices just for these two recipes, Jerk Chicken and Chicken Tikka. The smell of the spices alone stays with you like a fine perfume and just as intoxicating!

Jerk Chicken from the Caribbean Islands

[1] Allspice (Jamaican pimento), thyme, ground fresh black peppercorn, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg

[2] Habanero chili (very hot!). Adjust according to your tastes, if desired.

2 lbs chicken legs or thighs, with skin
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2      shallots, roughly cut
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp vinegar
1-2 tbsp brown sugar (to taste)
1       lime or lemon quartered
        oil
        salt

Marinate
Add garlic, shallots, vinegar, sugar, 2 tbsp oil, Jerk [1] spices, and a pinch of salt in a blender. Add Jerk [2] spices to taste. Blend into a smooth paste.

In a container, add the chicken pieces and mix them well with the marinade.

Let them marinate in the fridge for 24 hours. Turn the chicken pieces occasionally.

Bake
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place chicken pieces on greased baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven, occasionally turning for 20-30 minutes until all chicken pieces are cooked through.
When they are browned enough on the outside, turn the heat down to 350°F.

Serve
Sprinkle the jerk chicken pieces with lime juice to taste and serve them with your preferred sides. Enjoy!

Suggested Sides
Cooked rice or baked potatoes
Slices of fresh mango or papaya
Rice with black beans
Caribbean coleslaw

patricia19

Chicken Tikka

Tikka spice ingredients
Paprika, cinnamon, cardamom,ajowan,turmeric,cloves, cumin, fresh ground white peppercorns, coriander

1.25 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
2/3 cup yogurt, plain
1   cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or (opt.) parsley leaves chopped
12  skewers* if using wooden ones, soak them first for thirty minutes in water.
1.5 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 lemon for juice
1-3  fresh chilies, sliced (opt.)
     salt
     oil

Marinade
Add yogurt, Tikka spices, 2/3 of the garlic and ginger, salt, and chilies to taste in a blender. Blend into a smooth paste.

In a container, add the chicken pieces and mix them well with the marinade.

Let them marinate, turning the chicken pieces occasionally, for 24 hours.

Mint Chutney
In a blender, blend mint, cilantro,1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/3 of the garlic and ginger, and salt and chilies to taste. Add water as needed to create a thick sauce. Cover and keep chilled until serving.

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Place the skewers on a baking sheet lined with greased aluminum foil. Roast the chicken in the oven for 20-30 minutes until cooked through, turning midway.

Serve
Serve Tikka chicken with the mint chutney and your choice of sides. Enjoy!

Suggested Sides
Basmati rice
Flatbread, i.e. (naan, roti chapati)
lettuce or cucumber salad

patricia19

Caribbean Coleslaw

"Mango and pineapple make this creamy slaw a perfect accompaniment to pork, citrus-marinated grilled chicken, or any meat with a fruited salsa or sauce."

READY IN: 10 mins SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS

1  mango, peeled and cubed
    1  (6 ounces) can crushed pineapple, drained
    2⁄3 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
    2   tablespoons Heinz cider vinegar
    2   tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped parsley can always be substituted for cilantro
    2   tablespoons red peppers, chopped (wear gloves)
    1   small scotch bonnet peppers (wear gloves) or 1 small jalapeno pepper (wear gloves)   
        seeded and minced   
    4   cups Dole coleslaw mix, with carrots
    1    tablespoon Jamaican jerk spice

DIRECTIONS

Toss all the ingredients in a bowl, chill, and serve.

patricia19

Classic Macaroni Salad

This classic macaroni salad side dish recipe features pickles and pickle juice for flavor, green onion, peas, corn, and bell pepper.

Prep Time 15 mins Cook Time 15 mins Optional Refrigeration Time 1 hr Total Time 30 mins

Ingredients

1 lb. elbow macaroni or another pasta shape
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 cup dill pickle juice
    1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
    1 red bell pepper diced into small pieces
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 3-4 onions)

Instructions

Cook the macaroni in heavily salted boiling water according to directions. In the last 1 minute of cooking, add the frozen peas and frozen corn to the water.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise (1 cup), the honey (2 tablespoons), dijon mustard (1 tablespoon), kosher salt (1 teaspoon), black pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and dill pickle juice (1/4 cup).

When the macaroni, peas, and corn are fully cooked, drain and rinse with cool water until it has cooled off completely (check it so you can make sure it's cool to the touch). Shake off as much excess water as possible and add it to the bowl with the dressing.

Add the chopped dill pickles (1/2 cup), diced red bell pepper (1), and sliced green onions (1/2 cup) to the bowl and mix everything together. For best results, allow to sit for 1-2 hours in the fridge for all the flavors to marry.

Serve cold from the fridge or at room temperature.

Notes

This recipe can be made up to two days in advance, and leftovers are good for 3-4 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge, so it doesn't dry out (and stir it up before serving).
Another pasta shape or type can be used instead of macaroni, such as rotini, or a chickpea pasta for a gluten-free/grain-free version.
Make it vegan with a vegan mayonnaise substitute and by using sugar instead of honey.

Amy

Not a fan of cilantro but think the recipes have more than enough flavour to enjoy!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

You are always able to substitute parsley, particulary flat head parsley for cilantro.

Amy

Cheesecake

This Light and Airy Strawberry Cheesecake has all the taste but isn't heavy like a traditional cake. It
won't weigh you down like cheesecake usually does and yet is decadently tall and slices wonderfully.
Served with a strawberry sauce right on top and decorated with whipped cream. This cake is a winner
for any occasion.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
3 Tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for the pan
1 1/4 cups sugar
3-8 oz. pkg. light cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 cups sour cream
5 eggs, divided
Strawberry Topping
1 1/2 lbs. strawberries, sliced
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
I cup whipping cream with 2 Tbsp. berry sugar (optional)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9" springform pan with butter. Mix the cookie crumbs and butter
together. Press the cookie crumb mixture into the prepared pan, coming up the sides to 1/3 of the
way.
YIELD: 12
PREP TIME
30 minutes COOK TIME
2 hours 30 minutes TOTAL TIME
3 hours
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will
assume that you are happy with it.
Ok Read more2. Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a standup mixer with a paddle attachment and whip. Add
the sugar and mix well. Add the lemon juice and sour cream. Scrape down the sides of the bowl
with a spatula as needed. Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix well after each. In a separate
bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Remove the bowl from the standup mixer and fold in
the egg whites.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan; it will fill it but be careful not to overfill. Place the cake
in the oven and bake for 30-45 min., until just starting to brown. Reduce the heat to 300F. and
continue to bake for a total of an hour. Reduce heat to 200F and bake an additional hour. Turn
oven off and let sit in the oven for 1/2 hour while the oven cools. Cool completely on a rack.
Cover loosely with foil, leaving an area open to vent, so condensation doesn't form.
4. For the strawberry sauce, this can be made at any time and refrigerated until ready to use. I
decorated the cake for you today but would serve the cheesecake with the sauce at the time of
serving each piece.
5. Place the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Stir and cook over
medium heat for 5 min. Skim off the foam. Mix the water and cornstarch together and add to the
pan, stirring. Bring back up to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. Let the sauce cool, and
then refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve with the cheesecake and with whipped cream if desired.
Whip cream in a cold bowl with a cold whisk until thickened, add the sugar and mix well.

Nutrition Information: YIELD: 12 SERVING SIZE: 1 Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 519 TOTAL FAT: 30g SATURATED FAT: 17g TRANS FAT: 1g UNSATURATED FAT: 10g CHOLESTEROL: 161mg
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Grilled Firecracker Potato Salad.
Ingredients
3 pounds small red potatoes (about 30), quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
DRESSING:
1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
SALAD:
6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
Minced fresh chives, optional

Directions

Toss potatoes with oil, salt and pepper; place in a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; cool slightly.

In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Add dressing, eggs and celery to potatoes; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, 1-2 hours or until cold. If desired, sprinkle with chives.

Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a large disposable foil pan and poke holes in the bottom of the pan.

Nutrition Facts
1 cup: 265 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Cooking for Two.

Denver Omelet

Ingredients
■ 1 teaspoon canola or grapeseed oil
■ 1/4 cup diced white onion
■ 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
■ 1/3 cup diced Canadian bacon or thick-cut ham
■ Kosher salt, to taste
■ Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
■ 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
■ 4 large eggs, well beaten
■ 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
■ Salsa or hot sauce, optional, for serving
Steps to Make It
01Sauté for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and the veggies are tender, but still a little crisp. Season with salt and
pepper.
Remove the veggies and ham to a plate. Carefully wipe out the skillet with a dry paper towel.

Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the butter. Once melted, tilt the pan to coat with the butter. Add the eggs.
As the eggs begin to set up around the edge, carefully use a spatula to lift the edges a bit and tilt the pan slightly to let the liquid egg in the center run under the edge. Repeat around the omelet until it has set up just enough not to run to the edge when you tilt the pan. Don't let the omelet get too thin in the middle, and turn down the heat if it is cooking too fast.
Season with salt and pepper and top all over with cheese. Place a lid or pan over the skillet for 1 minute or just until the
cheese is melted. Turn off the heat.

Add the cooked veggies and ham in a line in the center of the omelet. Use a spatula and carefully run it under the edge
of the omelet to loosen it without tearing.

Fold one side of the omelet over the filling, then overlap with the opposite side, making a parcel. Carefully slide the omelet onto a plate.
Serve immediately with hot sauce or homemade salsa and enjoy

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Keto Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts are the kind of veggie you either love or hate. For the haters, very often it is a hatred that developed in childhood -
 typically brought on by improperly prepared Brussels.
 These Keto Brussels sprouts are sure to change your opinion!

Prep Time10 minutes
 Cook Time25 minutes
 Total Time35 minutes
 Servings 6

1 pound Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and halved
1 tablespoon avocado oil or high heat oil of choice
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt

Dipping Sauce
½ cup homemade mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos or gluten-free tamari
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Instructions
Place the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl and toss with avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt.
Air Fryer Instructions
Next, preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
Place in your preheated air fryer in a single layer. (Depending on the size of your fryer you may need to cook in batches.)
Cook for 15 to 18 minutes, or until brown and crispy, stirring halfway through.

Serve warm with dipping sauce.

Oven Instructions:
Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
Season the sprouts as directed above.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the sprouts in a single layer.
After that, cook for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
To make sauce
Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
Nutrition
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 745IU | Vitamin C: 64.3mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.2mg
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins (made with 100% whole grains and honey)

It's a good thing I bought blueberries in bulk because it took me several attempts to get this right. Baking with whole grains is much different than baking with all-purpose flour.

For one thing, whole grain baked goods can come out fairly dense. I have found that the biggest thing that helps avoid this is to not over-mix the batter.

When you hear cooks on TV saying "stir until just combined," they mean it. The more you mix, the denser it will be.

So when you add the flour and oats to the wet ingredients, make sure you only just combine it, and then gently fold the blueberries into the batter.

A note about over-ripe bananas: please, please, whenever you have bananas about to go bad, don't throw them out! Put them in your freezer until you want to use them for muffins, bread, or banana chia seed pancakes.

Freeze them whole, and when you need to use them, microwave for 45 seconds and remove the fruit from the peel. The peel will turn black and look unappetizing, but the inside is soft, sweet, and perfect for baking.

While we are on the subject of freezers, these muffins can be frozen for up to 6 months in an airtight container or bag. When you want one, simply remove it from the freezer and microwave for 30 seconds to one minute for a quick and easy breakfast.

Author: Elizabeth Lindemann

Prep Time 10 mins Cook Time 20 mins Total Time 30 mins

Ingredients

1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup honey
    2 eggs
    2 ripened mashed bananas
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    pinch ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1.5 cups whole wheat flour pastry flour is best
    1 cup old fashioned oats
    1.5 cups fresh blueberries or other berry, see notes about using frozen
    turbinado sugar if desired, for topping muffins

Instructions

Add coconut oil (1/2 cup) and honey (1/4 cup) to large mixing bowl. If coconut oil is solid, microwave for 15 seconds, until honey and oil are softened.
Cream together with a mixer on high speed.

Add eggs (2) and Greek yogurt (1/2 cup). Mix together until very well combined.
Add the 2 mashed bananas, vanilla (1 teaspoon), cinnamon (1 teaspoon), pinch of nutmeg, baking powder (1 teaspoon), baking soda (1 teaspoon), and salt (1/2 teaspoon). Mix until well combined.

Add flour and oats- stir until just combined.
Fold berries (1.5 cups) in to mixture.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners; fill each cup evenly with mixture.
Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with turbinado sugar (optional).
Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Notes
Storage: These muffins can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 days. They can be frozen in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months.

Not a fan of coconut oil? Extra-virgin olive oil can be used instead. Substitute the same amount.

Honey Substitute: You can also use brown or white sugar, or maple syrup, instead of honey.

You can use frozen berries for this, but keep in mind, it's likely that the muffins will be more colored blue/purple.

To make them gluten-free: you can use a gluten-free flour mix substituted with a 1:1 ratio (I have not tried this personally, but I have readers who have substituted with no problem).

For a dairy-free version, use your favorite dairy-free yogurt.

patricia19

Easy Homemade Sourdough Bagels

Homemade sourdough bagels? Absolutely! With just 10 minutes of prep, this easy, overnight recipe uses an active sourdough starter for the ultimate soft & chewy NY-style bagel. Customize with zesty everything bagel spice, sesame seeds, and more! Re The Clever Carrot

Here's the scoop: Sourdough bagels are nothing like yeasted bagels.

They are more flavorful. Less dense. Intensely chewy. You can eat two without getting a massive stomach ache.

And the crust? It's incredibly thin and crispy, and absolutely life-changing!

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2021/06/easy-homemade-sourdough-bagels/

Amy

Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake

Ingredients

15.25 oz Lemon cake mix
3.4 oz vanilla pudding
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup milk
½ cup water
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
½ cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
3 cups cool whip
3 oz strawberry jello
Sliced strawberries for topping
Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cake mix and vanilla pudding together.
Add in the vegetable oil, milk, water, eggs and egg yolk and whisk just until combined.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
Place into the oven to bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool for 15 minutes.
While the cake is cooling, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Once the cake has cooled, using a chopstick or end of a wooden spatula to poke holes throughout the entire cake. Be sure to poke enough holes so that the cake is able to absorb the lemon glaze and sweetened condensed milk but don't poke so many that the cake will fall apart.
Pour the lemon glaze over the surface of the cake. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake and spread with a rubber spatula or back of a spoon.

Cover and place the cake into the fridge to cool for 2 hours. Add the strawberry jello to the cool whip and fold it together.
Once the cake has chilled, spread the strawberry cool whip over the cake. Top with sliced strawberries.
Notes
Tips: As with any other cake, do not overmix this one or the cake will be crumbly.
When making the lemon glaze, if you find that it is too thick, simply add lemon juice ½ tsp at a time, whisking after each addition. If you find that the glaze is too thin, add powdered sugar a tsp at a time, whisking after each addition.
The longer the cake chills in the fridge after it has been poked and drizzled with lemon glaze and sweetened condensed milk, the better it is. I like to place the cake in the fridge overnight before frosting it with the strawberry cool whip.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Banana Cream Cheesecake.

Ingredients

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs divided; you can also use crushed Nilla Wafers
3 TBSP butter melted
8 ounce cream cheese softened
5.1 oz package banana cream instant pudding
1 ⅓ cup milk
8 oz Whipped Topping
Optional Toppings: Cool Whip nuts, graham cracker crumbs, sliced banana
Instructions
Divide the graham cracker crumbs evenly amongst your individual serving bowls (I used 6).
Carefully drizzle the melted butter over the crumbs in each bowl. This will help the crumbs set. Stick the bowls into the freezer.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the instant pudding mix and milk. Let set for about 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and pudding. Fold in the Cool Whip until well-combined.
Remove the bowls from the freezer. Spoon or pipe the filling evenly into each serving bowl.
Place the bowls into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I like to do mine overnight).
Garnish with extra Cool Whip and any other desired garnishes.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

The Easiest Berry Cobbler You'll Ever Make
Serves 8   
You will never find a Berry Cobbler easier than this one! It only takes 5 minutes to put it together. Use frozen mixed berries and a bit of flour and sugar for the filling. A cake mix and butter are all you need for the topping! It's a great last minute dessert that you can keep the ingredients on hand for all the time! Don't skip serving this with vanilla ice cream. It's not optional!

Ingredients
For the berry filling

2 pounds mixed berries, fresh or frozen
zest from 1 lemon, optional
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the topping
1 box of yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a 9x13 inch pan, add the frozen or fresh berries. If they are frozen there is no need to thaw. Add the zest of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stir the dry ingredients into the berries.*
In a separate bowl, melt the butter. Add the dry cake mix and stir slightly, it's okay if there are some dry spots. Spoon the mixture over the top of the berries. (You can also opt to spread the dry cake mix directly over the top of the berries and drizzle the melted butter on top.)

Bake the cobbler at 350 degrees F for about 40-50 minutes, until the top starts to turn golden and the berries are bubbly.
Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
Store leftovers covered on the counter for 2 days. After that store in the fridge.
Recipe Notes
*If you like the flavor of canned blueberry pie filling (it's not my favorite), you can replace 1 pound of the berries and the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cornstarch) with 1 can of blueberry pie filling. Just mix the frozen berries into the canned pie filling and top with cake mix and butter.

I happened to have about a 1/2 cup of frozen cranberries from the freezer fiasco that I threw into my cobbler. Really any mix of berries is going to work!

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Ginger-Lime Melon Salad Recipe Re: Real Simple

Fresh melon is one of summertime's greatest pleasures, and while it's deliciously eaten on its own, we made the juicy fruit even better with the addition of lime and ginger. Just these two ingredients elevate melon from a cookout side dish to dinner party-worthy salad (or dessert).

Because fresh melon is so hydrating, it's a great option for a hot summer day. Feel free to use your favorite kind of melon, although we prefer a mixture of watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe. Slice it into wedges or cubes, or use a melon baller for cute spheres—no matter how you cut it, the results will be divine.

Hands-On: 15 mins Total: 15 mins Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 cups)

3 ½ pounds melon (such as cantaloupe, honeydew, and/or watermelon), peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced

1 tablespoon lime zest plus ¼ cup fresh juice (from 2 limes)

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (from 1 [2-in.] piece)

Directions

Step 1

Gently toss together melon, lime zest, lime juice, and ginger in a large bowl. Transfer to a platter; serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve, up to 3 hours.

patricia19

Tomato Salad With Ginger and Mint

Hands-On: 15 mins Total: 15 mins Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients

3 pounds tomatoes, cut up
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
kosher salt and black pepper
⅔ cup torn fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest

Directions

Step 1
Toss the tomatoes with the oil and ginger and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and set aside at room temperature for up to 8 hours. Just before serving, toss with the mint and lemon zest.