Random Image

carshow2.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

SPICY CORN SOUP

Corn kernels with spicy jalapeno and zesty tomatoes are pureed to make a creamy corn soup while roasted corn kernels add texture and charred flavor

30 MINUTES PREP TIME 30 MINUTES TOTAL TIME 4 SERVINGS

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

1 cup chopped yellow onion

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

4 cups Birds Eye® Sweet Kernel Corn, divided

2 cups vegetable broth

1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained

1 cup whole milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream

2 cups crushed tortilla chips

1/2 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS
STEP ONE
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 cups corn, broth, undrained tomatoes, milk and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

STEP TWO
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 cups corn and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

STEP THREE
Puree soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in cream and roasted corn kernels. Garnish servings with tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro.

patricia19

Ground Beef and Potatoes   From Erin at wellplated.com

A lover of flavor, I never interpreted the phrase "meat and potatoes" as a compliment. WELL, for neither the first (nor I am sure, last) time, my assumptions have been proven dead wrong. This easy recipe for Ground Beef and Potatoes is all the things I never imagined something as seemingly simple as fried potatoes and hamburger could be.

The Ingredients

Lean Ground Beef. The flavorful and scrumptious meat for this dish.

I don't typically use oil with ground beef (the fat in the beef is sufficient enough for it to cook without sticking), but if your beef is ultra lean and your pan seems dry at any point, you can drizzle in a bit of oil to prevent sticking.

Potatoes. Tender cubed potatoes are a slam dunk pairing with the ground beef. They're nutritious, crowd-pleasing, and pair beautifully with the spices in this dish.

Red Bell Pepper. Adds a touch of color, freshness, and sweetness.

Worcestershire Sauce. Gives the dish depth and umami flavor.

Dijon Mustard. Its tanginess pairs wonderfully with the potatoes.

Spices. A blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano elevates this dish from bland to something truly craveable.

Hot Sauce. For a delicious kick! Use a lot or use a little to fit your taste preferences.

The directions

Sauté the potatoes in oil.

Brown the beef with the vegetables, Worcestershire, mustard, spices, and hot sauce.

Cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through. Add the green onions. Serve as desired and ENJOY!

Storage Tips
To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
To Reheat. Gently rewarm beef and potatoes in a skillet over medium-low heat.
To Freeze. I do not recommend freezing this dish, as potatoes can have a mealy texture when thawed.

Leftover Ideas
I love to serve leftovers as a hash by re-crisping the ingredients in a skillet, then topping them with a fried egg. You could also turn leftovers into a scramble by mixing in scrambled eggs instead.
Turn your leftovers into a portable meal by wrapping them into a whole wheat tortilla. Make sure to warm the filling up first. (Adding some cheese to the wrap would be scrumptious.)

patricia19

Homemade Hamburger Helper By Erin

Did you grow up eating Hamburger Helper? Today I have a recipe for Homemade Hamburger Helper that—and I say this as someone who regards the foods of her childhood with nostalgic respect—will beat the pants off of the stuff in the box!

I wanted to honor the spirit of the mix that held a place in our family pantry—the ultimate ease, creamy sauce, and family-friendly flavor—but use only real, healthy ingredients.

THE BEST TYPE OF PASTA TO USE FOR HAMBURGER HELPER
A short, sturdy noodle is best for Hamburger Helper. I used elbow pasta, but you could also try making this as a homemade Hamburger Helper penne, rotini, or rigatoni.

While making Hamburger Helper with egg noodles is traditional for some families, I am hesitant to recommend that shape here (same with homemade Hamburger Helper with spaghetti noodles). Since they are more delicate, I worry they would fall apart.

Beef Broth. Using beef broth in this recipe is important for creating the rich, savory sauce flavors.

Carrots + Onion + Garlic. A combination of carrots, onions, and garlic helps pack in added nutritional value and creates a deep base of flavor.

Nonfat Greek Yogurt. Instead of homemade Hamburger Helper with cream cheese, Greek yogurt is my wholesome way of thickening the sauce and creating a creamy texture.

Cheddar Cheese. Forget homemade Hamburger Helper with Velveeta. Sharp cheddar cheese melts perfectly into the sauce, helping to make it thick, rich, and DELISH!

While cheddar is my preference for this recipe (it melts well and the lightly sharp flavor gives the sauce dimension), you can swap another melty cheese of your choice. Colby jack, Monetary Jack, or mozzarella will give you a mild flavor. For a spicy Hamburger Helper, try pepper jack.

Hot Sauce. A dash of hot sauce adds the perfect amount of dimension and interest. This recipe isn't spicy, but if you'd like it to be, you can certainly add more.
Dijon Mustard. The thing that makes you stop and say, "Oooohh, that's good!! What is that?" In other words, don't skip it.
Smoked Paprika. A subtly smoky note.

The Directions

Sauté the onion and carrot with oil, salt, and pepper. Stir in the garlic.

Brown the beef. Add the hot sauce, Dijon, and paprika. Stir in the beef broth and water. Bring to a boil.

Add the pasta, stirring frequently.

Stir in the yogurt and cheese. Top with chives or parsley for some color, and ENJOY!

Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Homemade Hamburger Helper
To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
To Reheat. Rewarm Hamburger Helper in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat or gently in the microwave.
To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.

MEAL PLAN TIP
Chop the onion, carrots, and garlic up to 1 day in advance.

patricia19

Slow Cooker 3-Packet Roast   by: Christin Mahrlig

Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast- a tender, flavorful pot roast made with 3 packets: brown gravy mix, Ranch seasoning, and Italian Dressing mix. So much flavor and so easy to make!

The only other ingredients you'll need besides a packet of brown gravy mix, Ranch seasoning, and Italian dressing mix are a 2 1/2 to 4 pound chuck roast, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. If you don't want any spice, leave the crushed red pepper flakes out.

Easy Dump and Go Recipe
You can sear the roast first in a pan to give it a little extra flavor, but this step can easily be skipped to save time and reduce dirty dishes.

Tasty Gravy
The packets create a super yummy gravy while the roast cooks. Optional: To thicken the gravy, add a cornstarch slurry to the slow cooker after you remove the pot roast and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes.

How To Serve
Since the roast has a delicious gravy, I like to serve it over mashed potatoes, white rice, or egg noodles. I take 2 forks and shred the meat some so that the gravy really coats it well. Great sides are roasted carrots, green peas, southern-style green beans, creamy mac and cheese, and lima beans.

Slow Cooker 3-Packet Roast

Slow Cooker 3-Packet Pot Roast- a tender, flavorful pot roast made with 3 packets: brown gravy mix, Ranch seasoning, and Italian Dressing mix.

SERVINGS: 6

Ingredients

1 (2 1/2 to 4-pound) chuck roast
1 packet brown gravy mix
1 packet Ranch seasoning
1 packet Italian dressing (I use Good Seasons)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Instructions
Optional- Sear the roast first.

Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Sear the roast until browned on both sides.

Place roast in 6-quart slow cooker.

Sprinkle gravy mix, ranch seasoning, and Italian dressing mix on top.

Sprinkle with black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

Pour water on top of roast.

Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.

Remove the roast and place on a serving platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Whick together cornstarch with cold water and whisk into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes to thicken.

Note: To do this step faster, transfer to a pot and bring to a boil over high heat on the stove. Let simmer for 1 minute.

patricia19

White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies  by: Christin Mahrlig

They have that soft and chewy texture that's so characteristic of oatmeal cookies and they only take 10 to 12 minutes to bake.

What Type of Oats To Use?
Either quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats can be used. Old-fashioned will result in heartier, chewier texture.

Equipment Needed For White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Electric Mixer- either hand-held or stand mixer.
Parchment Paper
2 Baking Sheets
Wire Rack

Recipe Tip
Be sure to measure the flour correctly. Fluff it up in the bag or container, scoop it with a spoon into a dry measuring cup, and then level it with the back of a knife. Correctly measuring the flour helps prevent dry cookies.

Don't Overmix
Be careful not to overmix the cookie dough when you add the flour or you will have tough cookies. Just mix on LOW until all of the flour is incorporated.

Use an Ice Cream Scoop
To quickly form uniform-shaped cookies, use a medium spring-loaded ice cream scoop.

For extra flavor, add about 1/2 cup of Craisins.

Storage
Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 to 6 days.

White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are loaded with white chocolate chips and pecans and flavored with a touch of cinnamon.
SERVINGS: 20

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and creamy.

Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.

With the mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture. Mix just until there is no visible dry flour.

Stir in white chocolate chips and pecans.

Use a medium scoop to drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them a few inches apart.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until getting golden brown around the edges.

Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes
I like to use salted butter for this recipe. You can use unsalted and add another 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

patricia19

Applesauce

About 8 servings

Ingredients

3 pounds of apples peeled, cored and sliced

1 7-ounce package of red, cinnamon candies

1 cup of sugar

Directions

I use my peeler/corer/slicing tool for the apples, and it makes it so much easier to prepare them. Just put everything in a Crockpot and stir. Cook on low for about 4 to 5 hours. (Your home will smell amazing.)

patricia19

Beef Burgundy

Serves 6

Ingredients

2 pounds cubed steak (you do not have to brown this beforehand)

1 14-ounce can onion soup

1 package sliced mushrooms

1 chopped onion

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 cup red wine or nonalcoholic substitute

1 package egg noodles, cooked

Directions

Put everything in a Crockpot except for the egg noodles and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Make egg noodles about a half hour before serving. Place a serving of noodles on each plate, and ladle beef burgundy on top.

patricia19

Buffalo Chicken Dip

About 3 cups

Ingredients

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast

½ cup hot sauce

½ cup ranch dressing

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles

Chips for serving (I like Fritos or corn chips)

Directions

Combine cream cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese, cheddar cheese and wing sauce in a bowl. Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray and add mixture. Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours until bubbly. Cook chicken in the oven at 350°F for 10 to15 minutes or until done, then shred with two forks. Add in Crockpot and cook for another half hour or so.

patricia19

Carrot Spoon Cake

Serves 10

Ingredients

1 box carrot cake

1 3.4-ounce box instant butterscotch pudding

1 cup water

2 cups shredded carrots

¾ cup canola oil

4 eggs

1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple

1 cup sour cream

1 cup raisins

Directions

Spray Crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Put in a slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

patricia19

Turkey Chili

Serves 5 or 6

Ingredients

2 pounds turkey burger, cooked

2 pounds frozen corn

2 14-ounce cans black beans

2 28-ounce cans plus 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes

3 peppers cut up (I like red and orange, but you can also use green)

1 onion cut up

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Brown turkey burger in a frying pan and add with all other ingredients to Crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.

Amy

Easy Cherry Cobbler

Ingredients

Two 21- ounce cans Cherry Pie Filling and Topping

Cobbler Topping

3 cups White flour, I use bread flour
4 tablespoons White granulated sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons Baking powder
Dash of Salt
3 tablespoons Butter
3 tablespoons Vegetable shortening
3/4 cup Milk
2-3 Eggs, 3 medium or 2 large
3-4 tablespoons coarse raw sugar (optional for a crunchy top)

Instructions

Cobbler Topping for Cherry Pie Filling

Start by preheating your oven to (400°F) = (204°C). Grease a 9-inch by a 13-inch baking pan with butter. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then stir until mixed. Now, cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter to work the flour mixture. Beat the eggs and milk together. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a fork until combined.

Place the CANNED CHERRY PIE filling into the buttered baking pan. Place dollops of the cobbler topping onto the cherries. Cover it as evenly as possible to make that "cobbled" look. Sprinkle additional coarse raw sugar on top of the cobbler.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the cobbler rest for 10-15 minutes before you serve it. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream.

If Using Fresh Cherries
Wash the cherries, remove the stems and seeds. Use 6-8 cups of fresh cherries, 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white granulated sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Combine all of these ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly. Place the mixture in the buttered pan. Follow the instructions for the cobbler topping. Bake as directed.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Fried Cabbage and Sausage (Stovetop and Instant pot)

Ingredients

4 ounces diced bacon
1 cup diced onion
16 ounces Polish smoked sausage cut into 2-inch slices
2 1/2 pounds cabbage sliced
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Instructions
Core the cabbage and cut it into bite-size pieces, about ½-inch. Discard the core.
Slice the sausage into bite-sized or smaller pieces, about 1 to 2-inches.
Stovetop Method
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the diced bacon with the onions.
Add the sausage and cabbage, and cook until tender.

Season with black pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt.
Instant Pot Method
Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and brown the onions, bacon, and sausage in the Instant Pot.
Add the chopped cabbage.
Add garlic powder, celery salt, and pepper.
Since an Instant Pot requires some liquid to cook, pour in your choice of beef or pork broth. You can use water if you do not have either of the broths.
Close and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Set it to manual HIGH pressure and the timer for 3 minutes.
When the timer goes off, do a quick release.
Notes
Other types of sausage work well in this recipe, try some of these varieties:
Smoked sausage
Bratwurst
Kielbasa
Nutrition
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 120mg | Potassium: 298mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 53.4mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 0.8mg
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Tomereader1

I have lost my mind looking for a recipe, which I thought I had saved to a folder when my printer wasn't working.  Obviously, I didn't.  But on second thought, I kept thinking it was a recipe that someone posted here (Patricia or Amy).  It was for an "easy banana bread" made with a cake mix and other ingredients.  Okay, help me out here!  If it was posted here.  I need it quick!  The bananas are just about past the "brown/over-ripe" stage and nearing throw in the trash stage. LOL

patricia19

Joanne, how recent do you believe the recipe was posted? On December 31st, Amy posted this one.    https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=210664

And I found these links     https://duckduckgo.com/?q=easy+banana+bread&atb=v303-1&ia=recipes

Tomereader1

That's it, Patricia (the first one)!  Thanks a million.  I knew I could count on you gals to help me.  (Makes me feel better that I could remember it being posted here, rather than on a Food website).  :D

Tomereader1

Lots of variations on the DuckDuckGo link. Thanks.

Amy

World's Greatest Cinnamon Rolls
1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter,melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions
Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, margarine,
salt, and eggs. Add flour and mix well. Knead the dough into a large ball,
using your hands dusted lightly with flour. Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a
warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface,
cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, butter
and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16×21 inch rectangle. Brush dough with butter, then sprinkle
with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough starting along the long side and
cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover
and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven
to 350 degrees F.
Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. While rolls
are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar,
vanilla extract and salt. As soon as rolls come out of the oven, remove them
from the pan. Spread any filling that has seeped out over the top and then
spread frosting on rolls before serving
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Good morning! Joanne, you can also freeze the bananas; peel & bag before they go bad. I like to cut mine in half when I freeze them, as many of my recipes call for either sliced or half bananas.

Amy, I have that recipe; it's a good one!

patricia19

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies  From Allrecipes

Adjustable, Original recipe yields 24 servings

Prep:
15 mins
Cook:
15 mins
Additional:
30 mins
Total:
1 hr
Servings:
Yield:
2 dozen

Ingredients

½ cup butter, softened

½ cup peanut butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

½ cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate

Directions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Step 2
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the corn syrup, water, and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.

Step 3
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

One responder doubled the recipe and instead of the chopped 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate, she added half chopped sweet and half chopped chocolate chunks to make it more chocolatey

Amy

The Secret To Cooking Large Mushrooms.

Bake them first, before slicing them into a stew, or omelet.

Brush a sheet pan with oil and lay down fresh, cleaned mushrooms, stem up, lightly season with S&P. Bake them at around 350f until they just start to get browned and crisp on the edges and they look a little carmelized. Take them out and let them cool. You can then slice them up for a dish, or store them in a zippy.

Doing it this way keeps the mushrooms firm and meaty. Plus, the flavor is much more intense. I've used this method on Portabellas too.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Thanks Amy. I use lots of larger sliced or whole mushrooms in my day-to-day cooking, and this sounds good to me!

Tomereader1

Patricia & Amy, I made the 3 ingredient banana bread.  Had the two bananas on the hanger, and two frozen ones in the freezer.  The ones in the freezer were a mite too soft, squishy, the other two were okay.  The bread was good, had to cook it longer because of the 4 bananas. 

I did the trick with the cinnamon/sugar, and I like that a lot!  My house smells like bananas!  I ate about 3 slices. 

Got a lot accomplished today, although you can't "see" any of it.  Washed and dried one load, ran the dishwasher after all the baking.  Showered and shampooed.
My bathroom doesn't have a working heater, and I bought one of those little portable ones, and hooked it up in there.  Worked great.  Also used it three nights when the temps were in the 20's/low 30's to keep the laundry room warm so the pipes wouldn't burst again, like last year.

Tomorrow I will watch at least one football playoff game.  But my daughter is coming into town, so we will do something else; probably watch old Perry Mason re-runs!  Have a good night everyone, and I wish you all warmer temperatures!

Amy

Best Crock Pot Chuck Roast

This is great for a busy day! It makes its own gravy and everything you need for a meal is right in the crock! Enjoy!

Cook time: 6 Hr  Prep time: 10 Min
Ingredients
3 lb chuck roast
1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
1 can cream of celery soup (10.5 oz)
1 bag petite gold potatoes (1.5 lbs)
1 bag carrots (1 lb)
1 pkg mushrooms (8 oz)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 c steak sauce
Directions
Test Kitchen Tips: In our slow cooker, the roast was done in 6 hours.
1. Place the roast in the slow cooker. Pour beef broth over the roast. Then pour the cream of celery soup.
2. Top the roast and around it with potatoes, carrots, and then mushrooms.
3. Pour the packet of onion soup mix over the top. Then top with steak sauce.
4. Place the lid and cook on High for 6-8 hours.
5. Cook until the roast and vegetables are cooked and tender.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Patricia, last year I canned a lot of mushrooms for the first time. They turned out great, much to my surprise and I thought that next time I would do the baking of them then put in jars and can them. Better than the store bought canned mushrooms.

Tome, thank you for letting us know you tried the recipe...I think that using a butter pecan cake mix would work or even a lemon one also.....hmmm now you have me thinking!!

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Amy, I don't use canned mushrooms any longer. I buy those fresh and usually used them within five to seven days. I donated multiple cooking and boxed foods I didn't use or want, but they are still within their use-by dates. I seem to be going through yet another declutter phase, not by design but by sudden inclination. There are a lot of items here and there that have been sitting in corners simply unused.

One example is the Big Daddy fryer that I received for a Christmas gift in 2020 that has sat on the shelf unused all this time. Another is the pair of French Press coffee makers. One is a Swiss Bodrum brand I've never heard of but made of hard plastic and rubber parts. The other is an anodized and metal Barista Warrior with a temperature gauge on top. I have the directions but am a bit intimidated, so I haven't used either one yet. I'm still using my Mr. Coffee, although the French Press versions make a better cup?

I've carted two 33 gallon tubs for several years that I cannot bear to donate, but they never come out of the lidded tubs. One is small and medium stuffed animals that I've thought of donating to a hospital but, of course, not presently. The other is full of nice blazers, good costume jewelry, silk scarves, wool slacks, and silk blouses that I haven't worn since I retired in November 2013. I could let them go now except for Covid, and the donation place for those looking to start in those professions has been closed since 2020. And finally, my set of the small, medium, and large clothing that I've kept for a just-in-case scenario. An Independent senior apartment building is not a good donation spot for any of those items.

Amy

Patricia, I don't buy canned mushrooms...too many chemicals in them . I canned these in water with a pinch of salt .

I have been giving away items that I no longer use to anyone that wants them. We did have a large George Forman grill but all it did was take up space. I have a smaller one which is perfect to use for two.

Can't tell you about all my stuffed animals and so far they are staying.....for now.

I need to purge a lot but until the right mood comes along they stay.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Instant Pot Split Pea Soup

INGREDIENTS

1 pound dry split peas, sorted and rinsed
½ cup farro
2 cups diced ham
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Add all of the ingredients to the pressure cooker pot; stir. 
Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position.  Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. 
When cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10-15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
Remove bay leaves and stir. 
Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.  Add extra broth or water if a thinner soup is desired.
Serve immediately with warm crusty bread for dipping.
NOTES

This is a very thick, hearty soup.  If you like it thinner, you can use only ½ pound of split peas or add extra chicken broth as needed after it's pressure cooked.
For the ham, I like to have the deli cut me a few thick of black forest ham (about ¼ inch thick) then I just cube it up.
The addition of farro gives the soup a delightful chew.  It can be left out if you prefer.
Make sure to allow at least a 10 minute natural pressure release.  Split peas are quite starchy and can create a lot of foam that could spray from the valve if you don't let it rest a minute.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Spicy Bacon Wrapped Pineapple Bites

Spicy Bacon Wrapped Pineapple Bites make the perfect sweet, spicy, and salty finger food.
PREP: 10 mins COOK: 25 mins TOTAL: 35 mins

Ingredients

1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 pound bacon, each slice cut in half
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon pineapple juice

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a rack inside a large baking sheet.

Wrap a piece of bacon around each pineapple chunk and secure with a toothpick. Place on rack.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, cayenne pepper, and pineapple juice.

Spoon a little brown sugar mixture over each bacon-wrapped pineapple piece.

Place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

Notes

If you don't have pineapple juice, you can puree some pineapple to make some or substitute orange juice or apple juice.

Author: Christin Mahrlig

Tomereader1

Patricia you can send me one of the French Press coffee makers, and I will pay shipping and a gratuity!  I'd love to have one as everyone says coffee is so much better done that way. 

patricia19

I know, everyone tells me that. I would take you up on that, but it would cost me a round trip, taxi, twelve dollars to the post office, and another $13.40 for the taxi to get to the store with mailing boxes and padding.