Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Chocolate Billionaires

Total Time
Prep: 45 min. + chilling

Makes
about 2 pounds

Ingredients

1 package (14 ounces) caramels
    3 tablespoons water
    1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
    1 cup Rice Krispies
    3 cups milk chocolate chips
    1-1/2 teaspoons shortening

Directions

Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the caramels and water; cook and stir over low heat until smooth.

Stir in pecans and cereal until coated. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.

Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip candy into chocolate, coating all sides; allow excess to drip off. Place on prepared pans. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container.

Pecans have a higher fat content than other nuts, so they're more prone to going rancid. They'll stay fresh for twice as long in the freezer as they would at room temperature.

When making biscuits, pie crusts or other baked goods, use a potato masher to cut the butter or shortening into the dry ingredients. It works quickly.

JeanneP

Oh!  I have to try that choc. One. I needs some sweets around here if I have to stay in much longer.
JeanneP

angelface555

Lemon Pudding Desert

Total Time
Prep: 20 min. + chilling
Bake: 20 min.
Makes 16 servings

Ingredients

1 cup cold butter, cubed
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
    3 cups cold whole milk
    2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant lemon pudding mix

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°. Cut butter into the flour until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in—baking dish. Bake until light brown, 18-22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
    Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Spread over cooled crust.
    Beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Carefully spread over the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining whipped topping—reefrigerate at least 1 hour.

so_P_bubble

Cheese Cake

Ingredients:
5 eggs,
3/4C sugar,
1 instant pudding,
750gr soft white cheese,
1c  sour cream
3 tbsp cornflour
grated lemon peel.

Oven at 200C (392F)

1] Beat the egg whites with a tsp of vinegar and the sugar until very stiff.

2] In a separate bowl mix the yolks with the cheese

3] Add to this the Instant pudding powder, the corn flour, the lemon peel and the sour cream. Mix until well incorporated.

4] Add the lot to the egg whites and mix.

5] in a round high mold, put some crumbled petit beurre biscuits mixed with a very little melted butter. Pour in the cake mixture.

6] Bang the mold a few times on the table, to stabilized the mix.

Put a pan filled with water on the bottom of the oven and put the cake above it on a separate shelve.

Bake for 10 min on 200C and then change to 160C (320F)for a whole hour.

Check that the cake is done and LEAVE IT IN THE OFF OVEN until it is totally cooled.

The cake can be decorated with pieces of fruit or whipped cream.

JeanneP

Nice easy one. One day will have parties again
JeanneP

JeanneP

Chicken Green Beans Potatoes Recipe
One Pan Wonder Dinner That Will Be a Hit With Your Family! Loaded with chicken, green beans and potatoes that are seasoned with Italian Dressing Mix and Butter!

Ingredients
3 medium yukon gold potatoes diced
2 c. green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb chicken breasts
1/2 c. butter
.7 oz package Italian dressing mix
Instructions
Cut green beans up. Line one side of the pan with green beans.
Cut potatoes up. Line opposite side of pan with the potatoes.
Line the chicken breasts down the middle of the baking dish.
Cut butter up and layer over the green beans, potatoes and chicken. Sprinkle Italian dressing over the entire pan. Cover with foil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.
Notes
Baking time will depend on how big you cut your potato pieces and thickness of chicken breasts.
Nutrition
Calories: 492kcal
JeanneP

JeanneP

Taco Spaghetti

Ingredients
8 ounces spaghetti pasta
1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 (1-oz) package taco seasoning
2/3 cup water
1 can (10.75-oz) cream of chicken soup
1 can (10-oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (8-oz) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×9-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.In a large skillet cook ground beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain fat. Return meat to skillet. Add taco seasoning and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.

Stir in soup, Velveeta and Rotel tomatoes. Reduce heat to low, and cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.

Stir in cooked spaghetti and pour into prepared dish. Top with chedda
JeanneP

Amy

Crusty Cranberry Walnut Bread

Ingredients
5 teaspoons instant yeast
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons room temperature water
6 3/4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter (melted)
2 cups walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets

Steps to Make It
In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, combine the instant yeast and water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

Add the flour, salt, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until the dough comes together, then knead for about 10 minutes by hand on a lightly floured surface or with the dough hook of the stand mixer. If needed, add more flour, in small amounts, to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl or your hands.

Add the walnuts and cranberries and knead them in until they are distributed throughout the dough. This is best done by hand unless you feel your mixer can handle the task.

Oil a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl and roll over to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.

Punch down and transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide into 2 portions and form each into tight rounds. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Cover the loaves with a lightweight kitchen towel and let rest for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F.  Position the oven rack in the center of the oven.

Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes, until they are nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped on the bottoms. The internal temperature will be around 195 F when done.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JeanneP

Now this looks absolutely delicious!! 🙂
Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken
Ingredients
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1-1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon rotisserie chicken seasoning
2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese (2%), halved
Directions
1. In a large skillet, sauté the spinach, mushrooms, onions and pecans in oil until mushrooms are tender. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
3. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
4. Top with cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. To serve, top each chicken breast with reserved spinach mixture.

Yield: 4 servings.

I will do it in my toaster oven and use walnuts... Also cut recipe in half. Doubt it would freeze good. Not with the cheese and mushrooms. So Dinner and maybe late lunch next day
JeanneP

JeanneP

now these rolls would be good with the above. Also make good little finger sandwhiches.

Easy No Yeast Rolls
Ingredients
1 cup self rising flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons Mayo
Directions
Mix all ingredients, spoon in muffin tray or make 5 rolls
Cook in preheated oven at 350 F oven for 15 minutes or till golden brown. Now wasn't that easy? 😉
❥ :
JeanneP

angelface555

Swedish Meatballs

Things You'll Need
1 pound lean ground beef

1 pound ground pork

2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed

1/4 cup onion, diced

2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk

1 egg

2 and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, separated

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

Cooked green beans (optional)

Lingonberry jam (optional)

Step 1
Fill a large pot with cold water and add the potatoes. Make sure the potatoes are completely covered. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until fork tender.

Step 2
Drain and transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash up with a large fork or a potato masher. Alternatively, you can let the potatoes cool slightly and blend them in a food processor until smooth.

Step 3
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Step 4
In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, egg, heavy cream, cooked onions, spices and 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes. Set aside the leftover potatoes.

Step 5
Mix the meatball ingredients until thoroughly combined.

Step 6
Form the mixture into small spheres, about the size of golf balls.

Step 7
Gently roll each meatball in flour until fully coated.

Step 8
Warm 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until dark brown on all sides. Turn the meatballs every few minutes to ensure even cooking.

Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to work in batches. Transfer the cooked meatballs to a dish lined with a paper towel. Cook the remaining meatballs, adding more butter as necessary.

While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the remaning mashed potatoes according to your liking. Simply mix in heavy cream (or milk) until it reaches your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper, chives or your favorite spices.

Cream Sauce
Things You'll Need
1 cup beef broth (or broth of choice)

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon salt (optional, if using regular soy sauce)

1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Step 1
Remove leftover chunks of meat from the skillet. Without wiping it off, return to medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour. Whisk to dissolve and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

Step 2
Add the broth, heavy cream and spices. Whisk and simmer until thick, about 5 to 7 minutes. Make sure the sauce does not boil.

Place several meatballs on a plate and top with sauce. Serve with a scoop of mashed potatoes and green beans, You can also enjoy it with cooked vegetables of your choice.

Garnish with fresh or dried parsley, if desired. Add a spoonful of lingonberry jam if you're lucky enough to have it on hand. Enjoy!

angelface555

Roasted Apricot Preserve

Makes 1 1/2 Cups

15 fresh apricots, rinsed and dried
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of flaked sea salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Select a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold the apricot halves without overlapping, and line the dish with parchment paper.

Cut the apricots in half and remove the pits.

Place the apricot halves cut side up in the prepared baking dish. Make sure they don't overlap. Sprinkle with the sugar.

Roast the apricots for about one hour uncovered, or until the sugar has caramelized and the apricots are fork-tender.

While the apricots are still hot, transfer them to a bowl and add the lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. Using a fork, mash, and stir the apricots until you reach the desired consistency. You should be able to spoon a small amount but still have some chunks of apricots.

Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three weeks.

so_P_bubble

Yummy! I so love apricots, and the season is sooo short!

angelface555

"My alternative is that instead of fork mash, blend it to puree.

Then spread it very thinly on parchment paper and dry it on low heat oven or, longer, uncover in the air for a few days. You get a kind of apricot leather that is very tasty and can be kept rolled up in a tight box or in the fridge."

Thanks for this version, Bubble!

angelface555

Sweet Cream Dip
Makes 1 1/2 cup

One cup,  cream cheese room temperature
One half cup vanilla Greek-style yogurt
One tablespoon liquid honey

Place all ingredients into a bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat until combined.

Transfer to a small bowl and chill for at least one hour before serving.

Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up too three days.

angelface555

Quick pickled onions

One medium red onion
three-fourths cup white vinegar
One-fourth cup of water
One tablespoon granulated sugar
One teaspoon flaked sea salt

Using a sharp knife or mandoline, finely slice the red onion.

Place the onion pieces in a clean one half-pint mason jar.

Add the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt.

Seal the lid tightly and shake vigorously for one minute.

Place in fridge for at least four hours before serving.

Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.

JeanneP

Does Vin. water need to be hot?
JeanneP

angelface555

No, room temperature is fine.

angelface555

Hasselback Tomato Clubs

Ingredients
4 plum tomatoes
2 slices Swiss cheese, quartered
4 slices cooked bacon strips, halved
4 slices deli turkey
4 Bibb lettuce leaves
1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 8 slices
Cracked pepper

Cut four crosswise slices in each tomato, leaving them intact at the bottom. Fill each slice with cheese, bacon, turkey, lettuce, and avocado. Sprinkle with pepper.

angelface555

Hummingbird Cake

Total Time
Prep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling  Makes 14 servings

Ingredients
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1-1/2 cups canola oil
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
1/4 cup shortening
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
Chopped walnuts, optional

Directions
In a large bowl, beat the bananas, oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.

Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.

Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, lemon zest, and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar alternately with pineapple juice. Beat in cream. Spread between layers and over top and sides of the cake. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts.

angelface555

I was talking to a friend of mine who prefers to think of himself as a grillmaster. We were discussing our very different meatloaf recipes for some reason, and I got an idea.

Both of us would take our essential recipes and change them up. My attempt was last night, and his effort will be this weekend.

My basic recipe includes
2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup milk
Several squirts of Cholula Hot Sauce

Topping
1/4
cup ketchup sauce

Raul recommended using a one-fourth cup of Kellogs cornflake crumbs and barbecue sauce instead of ketchup. He had two favorites, so I made two loaves and tried them both. I omitted the ketchup, hot sauce, and onions per his request.

My reaction was not good. The Kellogs crumbs made the meat taste mealy, and I thought the Hickory & Brown sugar sauce was bland. The Honey Barbecue was a better sauce, but I still prefer the ketchup. I froze both meatloaves, and Raul will be over to collect them; he'll eat anything he says; and bring his next week.

Amy

Instant Pot Mini Cheesecakes

Instant Pot Mini Cheesecakes. Six single serving cheesecakes in the pressure cooker.

Preparation : 20
Cooking : 20
Total : 40 min

Ingredients

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon melted butter
16 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
⅔ cup sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream
2 large eggs
Cherry and/or Blueberry pie filling

Recipe

Prepare the jars: Mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, and divide evenly among 6 8-ounce jars or ramekins. Pack the crumbs down in the bottom of the jars. (I use a shot glass to pack down the crust – it fits in the small jars).

Make the cheesecake filling: Soften the cream cheese by leaving it out at room temperature for at least 1 hour. (Or soften the cream cheese in the microwave, 30 seconds to 1 minute). Beat the cream cheese in an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar and corn starch, and beat on medium speed until the sugar is completely blended, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add the vanilla and sour cream and beat on low speed until completely blended, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer again and scrape down the sides. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each on low speed until just blended. (Don't over-beat the eggs.) Divide the filling into the prepared cheesecake jars – each jar should get about ¾ cup of filling.

Stack the filled cheesecake jars in the pot in two layers: Put a cooking rack in the Instant Pot, then pour in 1 cup of water. Set three of the cheesecake jars on this bottom cooking rack. Set a second cooking rack over the layer of jars, then set the remaining 3 jars on top of that rack, offset from the bottom jars to help the steam travel through the cooker.

Pressure cook the cheesecakes for 3 minutes with a natural pressure release: Lock the lid and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. (Use "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" mode in an Instant Pot.) Let the pressure come down naturally, about 10 more minutes.

Cool the cheesecakes: Carefully lift the cheesecake jars out of the pressure cooker. Let the jars cool on a rack for 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Serve: Top each cheesecake jar with a few tablespoons of pie filling. Serve and enjoy.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Instant Pot Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

This easy jambalaya recipe is made with andouille sausage, chicken, uncooked rice, bell pepper, onion, celery and spices, all cooked together in just one pan, for a simple and flavorful meal that my entire family enjoys.

Preparation : 0
Cooking : 25
Total : 25 min
Yield : Servings: 5

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons oil , divided
12 ounces andouille sausages cut into 1/4 in. thick slices
1 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 yellow onion , chopped
1 green bell pepper , seeded and chopped
3 green onions , chopped
3 ribs celery , chopped
3 cloves garlic , minced
2 teaspoons Cajun seasonings
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes , undrained
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Recipe

Turn instant pot to saute setting. Add oil. Once hot, add sausage slices, cooking until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.

Add remaining oil to the pot.

Add the chicken and cook for one minute, scraping up the browned bits from the sausage. Turn instant pot off. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for one minute.

Add the Cajun seasoning, dried basil, thyme, sugar and rice and stir to combine.

Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, and salt.

Secure the instant pot lid and turn valve to sealing.

Cook on Manual High Pressure for 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure.

Carefully open the lid and gently fluff the rice with a fork. Add the sausages on top of the rice and return the IP lid to let the mixture rest for an additional 5 minutes. Stir lightly and enjoy!

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Patricia, I would also like the onions in it along with a tsp or so of hot mustard. What about adding 1.4 cup of bread crumbs or rolled oats instead of the cereal?
Jimmy Dean

angelface555

Amy, the hot mustard sounds good. I do have some dried hot mustard on hand. I often use oatmeal in my more ambitious meatloaves, and they're a good binder. The cereal crumbs were horrible.

One favorite meatloaf recipe is from Platter Talk and comes from the author's Amish and Mennonite roots.

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes servings: 8
Calories: 460kcal Author: Dan from Platter Talk

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup apple butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small sweet onion finely diced
1 small sweet bell pepper finely diced
1 apple peeled and cut into fine shavings
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

I still add the hot sauce, but then I use it in almost everything.

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat.
Cook onions and peppers until soft and translucent, about five minutes. Set aside.
In medium size mixing bowl, combine all ingredients using hands to thoroughly mix.
Prepare a loaf pan with a non-stick coating and place meat mixture in pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.
Spread thin layer of apple butter over meat loaf if desired.

After the cereal I'm almost afraid of what Raul's will taste like tomorrow.

Amy

Patricia ,never thought of apple butter in it...would give it a sweet taste..
Jimmy Dean

angelface555

Sweet and savory,not overwhelmingly so. You should try it!

JeanneP

I will try the Amish one. sounds the best to me
JeanneP

JeanneP

VEN ROASTED OR GRILLED CABBAGE STEAKS WITH BACON, GARLIC & LEMON
A fast and easy cabbage steak recipe with bacon and garlic! Learn how to make oven roasted cabbage steaks or grilled cabbage steaks with 10 minute prep. They are healthy, low carb, gluten-free, paleo, whole30, and totally delicious.
 Ingredients
8 slices Bacon
1 head Cabbage
8 cloves Garlic (minced)
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
US Customary - Metric
INSTRUCTIONS
Cabbage Steak Marinade
Place the slices of bacon onto a large, cold pan. Place on the stove and turn to medium-low heat. Fry the bacon for 8-10 minutes, until crispy, flipping as needed.
Meanwhile, cut the cabbage into 3/4-inch (20 mm) thick slices.
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.
Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside to drain, leaving behind the bacon fat in the pan. Add the minced garlic and saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
Let the pan with bacon fat cool for 5-10 minutes. When the bacon fat has cooled enough to not melt the plastic, pour the bacon fat (along with the sauteed garlic) into the plastic bag. Scoop any remaining garlic with a spatula and add it in. Seal and mix well to form the marinade.
Add the sliced cabbage steaks to the marinade bag. Coat well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Grilled Cabbage Steaks Instructions
Preheat the grill at medium heat.
Grill cabbage steaks for about 4-8 minutes on each side, until tender and crispy on the edges.
To serve, top with cooked bacon and parsley for garnish (optional).
Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks Instructions
JeanneP

angelface555

I just had lunch at Raul's with friends. He called me earlier and said he had a great meatloaf recipe and had invited three friends of ours to lunch while social distancing in his back yard. He didn't want to wait another week for "redemption."

The meatloaf was excellent, and he took some ribbing after he admitted to calling his sister, and she gave him the recipe.

Horseradish Meatloaf

Ingredients

For meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef
3/4th cup regular oats uncooked
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup catsup
1/4th cup milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For Sauce
1/2 cup catsup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons spicy  brown mustard

Cooking Directions

In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients well by hand and shape into a loaf.

Place into a 9x5x3 loaf pan.

In a small bowl, mix together all of the sauce ingredients and stir well.

Spoon 1/2 of your sauce mixture over the top of your meatloaf. Bake at 375 F. uncovered for approximately fifty minutes.

Spoon the remainder of the sauce over the meatloaf and bake for 10 minutes longer. Place on a serving platter.

He served it with sliced tomatoes, peas, and scalloped potatoes.

While everyone was complimenting his meatloaf, I attempted to rain on his parade by saying we were supposed to add on to a basic meatloaf and that he had outside help. I got shushed!  ??? 

I had to agree that his recipe was best...even if it was his sister's!  :thumbup: