Random Image

Mama Callie

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2020, 02:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Sep 08 2020 1:22pm
lurk: Thanks @Astro   ;)

Sep 08 2020 7:14am
Astro: Welcome, lurk !

Sep 07 2020 1:51pm
lurk: @Oldiesmann Thanks,..  ;) Nice to see the mentions working. :)

Sep 07 2020 9:53am
Oldiesmann: Good to see you @lurk

Sep 07 2020 2:36am
lurk: @Oldiesmann  Nice to see you applied the fix to the Shoutbox to make the collapse / expand setting stick.  ;)

Sep 07 2020 2:34am
lurk: Greetings all, what a lovely site you have here, I've been following the rebuild of the site with interest, and as I'm 60yrs old this month decided to register and say Hi.

Aug 13 2020 4:37pm
GrnMtnGal: Haven't been here in a long time.  Nice to see lots of the same people posting. The COVID-19 has caused me to revisit many things, reading, jigsaw puzzles knitting, etc. Staying put most of time.

Aug 06 2020 7:20pm
Sasha:  ;D

Jul 31 2020 8:33pm
mycheal: Delphine hello, best wishes your way :)

Jul 29 2020 7:51pm
Delphineaz: Been a long tme for me too.  Belated Birthday greetings Pouch.  So many have passed away.  Blessed is their reward.

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Piccalilli Relish

Ingredients
1 pound salt
1-gallon water
2 pounds cauliflower, broken into small florets
2 pounds cucumber, peeled and diced
2 pounds pearl onions, halved
9 ounces white sugar
3 teaspoons mustard powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
6 cups distilled white vinegar
1 ½ ounces all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground turmeric

Directions
 Step 1
Dissolve the salt in the water, and add the cucumber, onions and cauliflower. Cover and leave for 24 hours. Drain the vegetables.

Step 2
In a large pan, blend the sugar, mustard and ginger with 5 cups of vinegar. Stir in salt and vegetable mixture, bring to the boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Step 3
Blend the flour and turmeric with the remaining 1 cup of vinegar and stir into the cooked vegetables. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into sterilized canning jars.

Step 4
In a large stock pot, pour water half way to top with boiling water. Using a holder, carefully lower jars into pot. Leave a 2-inch space between jars. Add more boiling water to cover them, about 2 inches above the tops. Bring to a boil and cover, processing for 15 minutes. Remove jars from pot. Put jars on a wood or cloth surface, several inches apart and allow to cool. Jars will be sealed.

angelface555

Green Tomato Relish

Ingredients
24 large green tomatoes
3 medium (blank)s red bell peppers, halved and seeded
3 medium (blank)s green bell peppers, halved and seeded
12 large onions
3 tablespoons celery seed
3 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoon salt
5 cups white sugar
2 cups cider vinegar

Directions
 Step 1
In a grinder or food processor, coarsely grind tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions. (You may need to do this in batches.) Line a large colander with cheesecloth, place in sink or in a large bowl, and pour in tomato mixture to drain for 1 hour.

Step 2
In a large, non-aluminum stockpot, combine tomato mixture, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Step 3
Sterilize enough jars and lids to hold relish (12 one-pint jars, or 6 one-quart jars). Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.

Step 4
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.

Step 5
Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Relish can be stored for up to a year.

JeanneP

Chicken Crescent Rolls

Ingredients:
2 cans of low fat refrigerator crescents
1 can of healthy low sodium cream of chicken soup(10 3/4 oz size)
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast

Directions:
I boil my chicken breast then shred, roll out each individual cr
JeanneP

JeanneP

Chicken Crescent Rolls
CHICKEN CRESCENT ROLLS
Ingredients:
2 cans of low fat refrigerator crescents
1 can of healthy low sodium cream of chicken soup(10 3/4 oz size)
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast

Directions:
I boil my chicken breast then shred, roll out each individual crescent, place about a Tbsp of shredded chicken in center and roll it up.

Bake on 350 for about 5 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Pour Cream of chicken over the top bake an additional 10 min top with cheddar cheese and bake for 10 more minutes.

Thanks for SHARING MY POSTS!!!
JeanneP

angelface555

August 31, 2020, 08:34:10 PM #154 Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:46:15 PM by angelface555
Jeanne, both of the chicken recipes sound so good!

I got a hankering for some homemade soup today, but I was dithering between three cups of ground beef or ground pork. As I had more of the latter, I made it with pork, seasoned with McCormick's all-purpose seasoning of garlic, herb, black pepper, and sea salt.

After I browned the pork in my larger stovetop wok, I added two standard sized cans of unsalted mushroom soup and a half cup of quick barley. I then added two large, 2 cups each of Birdseye California Blend frozen vegetables or a cup and three fourths due to clump size. I then added two cups of Birdseye frozen mixed vegetables, so I had both large and small sizes.  I rinse and rebag the frozen vegetables I buy in ziplock bags before refreezing. All sizes are approximate as I rarely measure.

There was no need to add extra fluids as the frost from the vegetables and the liquid from the frozen pork made just enough. While the pork browned, I had washed, peeled, and cut up seven large russet potatoes. I boiled these in salted water while I finished with the meat and vegetables. After I tested the potatoes with a fork, I drained the water and added the potato chunks to the pork and vegetables for six to eight cups. After returning it to a boil, I transfered the soup to my soup pot and put it in the fridge for overnight.Tomorrow I will proportion the soup into two cup servings in my Ziplock freezer bags for freezing.

I'm told my soups are better called a chowder due to the thickness of the sauce, but I'm not fond of dribbling broths 

JeanneP

Ingredients:         APPLE PANCAKES
-3 russet potatoes (roughly 2 - 2.5lbs)
-1 large onion
-3 eggs, beaten
-1 teaspoon salt
-Optional: 1/3 cup flour or potato starch
-Canola oil
-Applesauce
Directions:
Peel and grate the potatoes and onion and place in a strainer since they will be very watery.  Let them sit for about 10 minutes. You could also ring them out in a paper towel if you are in a rush.  It is okay if they are still watery.  I have skipped this step all together a couple of times when I was in a real rush.
Transfer the potato and onion mixture to a bowl and mix in the salt and eggs.  If using the flour, mix that in too. Set aside.
Heat a skillet with oil (roughly 1/4 cup).  Take a scoop of the mixture (I just use my hands) and form a little disk, roughly 2 - 3 inches in diameter, and flatten.  Plop 3 - 4 of the pancakes at a time into the oil. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown and then flip to cook the other side.  Each side will take roughly 3 minutes.  Continue until all of the mixture is gone.  You may need to add a little more oil in between batches.
Remove the pancakes from the skillet and let dry on a paper towel lined baking sheet to help drain some of the oil.  Serve warm with applesauce, or enjoy plain!

I didn't think this would copy. Having a hard time with my W10 Desktop doing any thing and so just testing a way to get into S AndF
JeanneP

JeanneP

When you don't feel like cooking. Fast.

Cabbage & Noodles with Bacon 
Ingredients
1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 pound of bacon*
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 large handfuls of egg noodles*
Black pepper
Directions
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels, then break into bite-sized pieces. (Warning: there's a chance that you could end up snacking on the bacon bits while you're finishing dinner. It's been known to happen here.)
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the egg noodles. Add the noodles and cook until done. Drain the noodles and set aside.
Drain some of the bacon fat from the pan, reserving enough to cook the onions. Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften. Add the cabbage to the skillet and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. When the cabbage is tender, add the egg noodles and bacon, mixing thoroughly. Season with pepper. Serve immediately.

JeanneP