March 06, 2021, 02:13:34 AM

News:

WELCOME HOME TO S&F!!
We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Random Image

Sun

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 06, 2021, 02:13:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Feb 24 2021 8:23pm
mycheal: Spring  thaw has arrived here :)

Feb 21 2021 3:49pm
Oldiesmann: Ours is finally melting.

Feb 20 2021 8:05am
so_P_bubble: 4 inches in Jerusalem!

Feb 13 2021 11:01am
Oldiesmann: Anyone else buried in snow? We got 8 inches here Monday into Tuesday, another half inch or so Wednesday and more is coming next week

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

Jan 01 2021 8:00am
Amy: Happy New Year to you also !

Dec 31 2020 11:16pm
Oldiesmann: Happy new year everyone!

Dec 18 2020 8:22am
mycheal: Ya all stay safe now  >:(

Nov 29 2020 1:51pm
Oldiesmann: You're welcome. Glad you like it :)

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomereader1

Patricia, I heard on the weather this afternoon, that someplace in Alaska had temp of -57 degrees!  Hope it wasn't your area.  I didn't hear the particulars because I was in the kitchen cooking.   Took that roast, browned it, put it in the crockpot, with chopped celery, baby carrots, chunks of potato and lots of spices: garlic pepper, onion powder, worcestershire sauce. Decided I would use up the last half of a carton of beef broth and kind of make a "stew" rather than just pot roast.  Cooked  a nice long while, late in the procedure, put in a can of RedGold diced tomatoes.
Made a small batch of cornbread muffins.  When all was said and done, I sat and ate the equivalent of two huge bowls.  My tummy was warm and full!  I didn't make any dessert, but I'll think about that tomorrow! Very simple, but filling and warming meal.  Have a lot left over, so with our cold front coming in, I'm all set! Of course, our "coldfront" will be about 30 degrees or so.  The wind is already out of the North and cold, cold and blustery.
Have a good day tomorrow!

Tomereader1

Where are you, in relation to Fairbanks?

Also, on that first site, there's a town called "Chicken".  Had not ever heard of that one.  LOL! :smiley6600:

patricia19

In regards to Fairbanks? Just off the city center, and Chicken? "The post office required a community name; therefore the town decided to name the region after a local grouse known as Ptarmigan which was quite prevalent in the area. However the locals could not agree on the spelling of the name "ptarmigan," therefore to avoid embarrassment they named the community Chicken."
 "

patricia19

Your stew sounds good! I often will do sheet pans full of meat or vegetables with similar spices and roast them before freezing them for various meals.

On the fourth, I bought a chuck roast and a bottom round roast to try your brown sugar, Worcestershire recipe with as last time it was with pork chops. The other beef piece will make a good stew as I've potatoes, carrots, onions, and multiple small packages of frozen vegetables. I'll have some of each after cooking (on separate occasions) and freeze the rest.

I haven't made any cornbread for a while. That's certainly an idea, but I've made lots of 12 grain or nut-brown loaves lately and love those, still warm with real butter practically dripping off. I'm a bit of a bread lover, much to my waistline's detriment!

phyllis

I posted this recipe for Amy and others in Soda Shoppe but Patricia reminded me of this forum so I'll post it here, too.

15 BEAN SOUP for INSTANT POT

1 bag of 15 BEANS, washed. (Not necessary to pre-soak if using the Instant Pot.)

8 cups of water, or chicken broth, if you prefer

1 cup chopped onion (and I add chopped celery and chopped carrots)

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

Juice from one lemon (optional)

1 tsp of chili powder (or more)

1-2 cloves of garlic diced, or 1 t.(or to taste) garlic powder

Optional: 1 lb. of ham, ham hocks or smoked sausage.  (I often use kielbasa.)

Put all in Instant Pot and I cook it for 50 minutes because we like our bean soup mushy.  Adjust whatever seasonings to your liking and serve.

I kind of just throw in anything that appeals to me at the time and usually serve it with grated cheddar to sprinkle over.  I hope you enjoy it.
phyllis
Cary,NC

patricia19

Morning Glory Muffins

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/morning-glory-muffins/

INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrots (3–4 medium carrots, peeled before shredding)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flaked coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1/2 cup shredded apple (about 1 medium apple, cored and peeled before shredding)
1/4 cup flaxseed (optional)
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper muffin liners (or grease a non-stick muffin pan).
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrots, raisins, chopped walnuts, coconut, shredded apple, and flaxseed. Mix until well blended.
In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. (Note that the muffin cups will be very full, which is OK as these muffins rise only slightly during the baking process.)
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. They will be done when the centers are still slightly soft but a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.

patricia19

Russian Honey Cake Recipe

Russian honey cake is perfect for any special occasion. Featuring layers of soft honey cookies and sweet-sour cream frosting, this cake is a real treat. And while it might look complicated, this Russian honey cake recipe is surprisingly easy to make. Your friends and family will adore this delicious dessert from eHow!

Cookie Layers
Things You'll Need
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature, beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Step 1
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the honey, sugar, butter and vanilla extract. Melt the ingredients until smooth and combined, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Step 2
Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs in a separate container, then slowly add to the honey mixture as you quickly whisk it. Constantly whisking will prevent the eggs from cooking.

Step 3
Add the salt and baking soda. Stir well.

Step 4
Add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour. Mix well, then continue adding the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time.As the mixture forms into a dough, you'll need to use your hands to mix and knead. Repeat until the dough resembles clay. If it's too sticky, gradually add all-purpose flour and knead some more.

Step 5
Place the dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a dough scraper or pizza cutter, separate the dough into 8 equal-sized pieces.

Tip
To make 8 equal pieces, cut the dough in half. Halve each one to make 4 pieces. Finally, halve each quarter to make 8 pieces.

Step 6
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the pieces of dough into balls.

Place one ball of dough on a large sheet of parchment paper. Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll the dough into an 8-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick.

Tip
You'll have two large circles on each sheet, so roll out each one on either side. Avoid rolling the dough in the center.

Step 7
Place an 8-inch-wide plate on top of the dough. Slice away the excess dough with a knife or pizza cutter. Set aside the dough scraps, as you'll use them later.

Step 8
Repeat with a second ball of dough. Transfer the parchment paper onto a large baking sheet.

Step 9
Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. As the first 2 layers cook, work on preparing the next 2 on a separate sheet of parchment paper.

Once golden brown, remove the cookies from the oven. Let cool slightly, then carefully transfer onto a cooling rack. Pierce any large air bubbles with a fork or knife, but be sure to avoid cutting straight through.

Place the next 2 layers in the oven. Repeat until all 8 layers are baked.

Tip
If you have a large oven or several baking sheets, you can bake more than 2 at a time.

Step 10
Finally, bake the dough scraps for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.

Step 11
Let cool, then pulverize in a high-powered blender or food processor. Set aside in an air-tight container.

Sour Cream Frosting

Things You'll Need
2 cups sour cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup honey
1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Step 1
Using a hand mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream for 1 to 2 minutes or until fluffy and stiff.

Beat heavy whipping cream

Step 2
Add the sour cream, vanilla, honey and powdered sugar. Fold to combine, taking care to avoid overmixing. Taste and add more powdered sugar, if necessary.

Fold in sour cream and vanilla

Step 3
Place the first cookie layer on a plate or cake stand. Spread 1/2 cup of frosting across the entire cookie.

Spread frosting on cookie

Step 4
Add a second cookie layer, then firmly press down to get rid of any air pockets. Spread another 1/2 cup of frosting on top.

Add a cookie and top with frosting

Step 5
Continue alternating cookies and frosting, making sure to press down on each layer. Spread the leftover frosting across the top and sides.

Coat cake with leftover frosting

Sprinkle the cookie crumbs on top of the cake.

Add cookie crumbs

Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Or, if your cake is on a plate, you can put it in a large aluminum pan with a lid. In either case, try and limit air exposure.

Chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. As the cookie layers absorb moisture from the frosting, they'll become wonderfully soft and decadent.

Top the cake with berries, chocolate shavings or both!

Tomereader1

My neighbor made the Morning Glory muffins for me for Valentine's Day, minus the nuts.  They are simply wonderful!  She gave me a dozen, and I managed to make them last almost two weeks.  I froze several of them, and used the excuse of getting them from the freezer and thawing them out as a deterrent to eating them all in 2 or 3 days! (which I am apt to do)

patricia19

I'm glad you like them. I tend to replace the sugar with a similar amount of applesauce for a more intense taste. You could also use cinnamon applesauce instead of sugar.

Amy

Patricia, this sounds delicious, one I would use for a special occasion or one to drop off at a friends for their birthday/anniversary or just because. Thank you for posting it!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers