Random Image

Clouds

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

CRANBERRY CHICKEN SALAD WITH AVOCADO

Ingredients

▢1 medium avocado mashed

▢1 cup Greek yogurt

▢1/3 cup dried cranberries

▢3 stalks celery finely diced

▢1/3 cup chopped shelled pistachios

▢3 cups diced cooked chicken note: I prefer poaching so it's moist and unbrowned

▢3 tbsp finely minced red onion or shallot

▢Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Combine Greek yogurt and avocado by mashing together with a fork until well combined and smooth.

Add remainder of ingredients including cranberries, celery, red onion, chicken, and pistachios.

Mix until well combined and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with toast, crackers, or in lettuce cups.

patricia19

Texas Sheet Cake Recipe

Things You'll Need

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

6 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter

1 cup warm water

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Tip
Be sure to use salted butter. The salt will help balance the sweetness of the cake.

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Whisk well.

Step 2
In a pan or small pot over medium-low heat, add the butter, warm water, and cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth and combined.

Step 3
Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Step 4
Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix well.

Step 5
Grease or line a 12"x18" metal sheet pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it out into an even layer.

Tip
Some people use 9"x13" or 10"x15" sheet pans to make this sheet cake. If you decide to use a smaller pan, be sure to increase the baking time by a few minutes.

Step 6
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. While the cake is baking, make the frosting.

Chocolate Frosting

Things You'll Need

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 cup chopped pecans

Tip
It's said a true Texas sheet cake is made with pecans. However, some people like to use chopped walnuts instead.

Step 1
While the cake is baking, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the buttermilk and cocoa powder and mix until combined.

Step 2
While the pan is still on the stovetop, slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until combined and smooth.

Meanwhile, remove the cake from the oven. Let cool until it's warm but no longer hot.

Step 3
Remove the warm frosting from the stovetop. Spread it onto the cake and add the chopped pecans.

Once the cake completely cools, slice into squares and enjoy.

so_P_bubble

How many grams are there in a stick of butter?

JaneS

113.4 grams....at least that's what it says on my butter stick!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

patricia19

Mine says 113 grams as well.

How to Make Homemade Buttermilk

What you'll need:

Milk
Vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or cream of tartar

For each cup of buttermilk:

To make buttermilk with vinegar, a tried and true method, use 1 tablespoon white vinegar, plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes.

Use the same method to make buttermilk with lemon juice. Combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes.

To make buttermilk with cream of tartar, the ratios are different. Use 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.

Buttermilk Alternatives

Yogurt makes a great substitute for buttermilk. Just use 1 cup of yogurt for each 1 cup of buttermilk in your recipe. If using thick yogurt, like Greek yogurt, thin it with some water and measure out a cup.

patricia19

DILL POTATO SALAD WITH MUSTARD BUTTERMILK DRESSING

This easy potato salad is packed with fresh dill, dijon, and whole-grain mustard and coated in creamy buttermilk dressing! It's the perfect make-ahead side for picnics and potlucks and is best served cold.

Course: SideCuisine: American Servings: 8 servings Calories: 277kcal Author: Elizabeth Lindemann

Ingredients
3 lbs. red potatoes
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh dill roughly chopped
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
kosher salt
black pepper
2 ribs celery diced
1/2 cup red onion diced
Green onions for garnish optional

Instructions
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Add a generous amount of kosher salt (about 2 tablespoons) and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer until tender (pierce with a fork to check doneness, about 30 minutes). Strain, and allow to cool until you can handle them.

Meanwhile, whisk together mayo (3/4 cup), buttermilk (1/3 cup), fresh chopped dill (1/4 cup), dijon mustard (1 tablespoon), whole grain mustard (1 tablespoon), and kosher salt and black pepper to taste in the bottom of a large bowl.

Set aside about half of the dressing in a small bowl or container. Cover and refrigerate.
When potatoes are cool enough to handle (after about 10 minutes), cut them into approximately 1-inch pieces. Add them to the dressing along with the 2 ribs diced celery and 1/2 cup red onions.

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving (or overnight). Just before serving, mix the remaining dressing into the potato salad. Garnish with green onions, if desired.

Notes
Money-Saving Tip: baby red potatoes are more expensive than large red potatoes. Baby will cook faster, but larger red potatoes will be cheaper.

If you don't have buttermilk, you can mix 1 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of vinegar. You can also use plain yogurt. Tip: this works in almost all recipes that require buttermilk, like pancakes.

To make this Dairy-free omit the buttermilk, add more mayo with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice, or even pickle juice for added acidity.

Amy

Patricia perfect summer salad!  I have been looking up the green pea salad and will have a go at that one. Thank you for the recipe.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy

Oh my gosh!! Lots to chose from, thank you..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

[color=black

Pickled Red Onions

Ingredients

1 medium red onion
1 clove garlic , peeled
1/2 teaspoon whole mixed peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt

Instructions

Slice the onions to 1/8-inch thickness (ideally with a mandolin for uniformity), and stuff in a 16 ounce mason jar (that has a lid.) Place the garlic clove and peppercorns in the jar and slide the bay leaf in between the onions.

In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 30-60 seconds.

Pour hot mixture over the onions, making sure they're submerged in the liquid. Fasten with the lid.

Set aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator.

The pickled onions are ready to eat once they're bright pink and tender – about 1 hour for very thinly sliced onions, or overnight for thicker sliced onions.
[/color]
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Jane, this one is for you!!

Pickled Radishes

Ingredients

1 bunch radishes (18-20 average size radishes)
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
5 whole black peppercorns
1 clove garlic , peeled
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Instructions
To prepare the radishes: Slice off the green tops and bottoms of the radishes, scrub clean, then use a sharp chef's knife or mandolin to slice the radishes into very thin rounds.
Pack the rounds into a pint-sized canning jar. Top the rounds with the mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, peppercorns, and garlic clove.
To prepare the brine: In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 30-60 seconds.
Pour hot mixture over the sliced radishes, making sure they're submerged in the liquid. Fasten with the lid.
Set aside to cool to room temperature (about 1 hour), then transfer to the refrigerator. Enjoy the next day for best flavor.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Sunday Gravy

Prep Time: 15 mins  Cook Time: 2 hours 30 mins  Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes  Yield: 10-12 servings

DESCRIPTION
We recommend preparing this on Saturday – the day before your Sunday meal – so the flavors can meld. Also – the prep time listed does not include time to prep meatballs.

INGREDIENTS
½ of this recipe for Italian-Style Meatballs, see below
1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound beef shin steak or other bone-in beef cuts
1 ½ pounds lean bone-in pork chops
1 ¼ pound pork spareribs (5–6 ribs)
1 pound Italian sweet sausage
2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, divided
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
2 6-ounce cans of tomato paste
2 28-ounce cans crushed good quality tomatoes such as Cento or Pastene
5 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
Make raw meatballs according to the recipe and roll them into 12 even balls. Do not fry ahead but set aside refrigerated.

In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat and brown all meat in three batches (except meatballs). Each batch should take about 3-4 minutes on each side. Do not crowd pan. As each batch is browned on both sides, remove to a platter.

Add the remaining olive oil to the pan drippings and add onions, garlic, half of the mint, half of the basil, and half of the red pepper flakes. Cook about three minutes or until onions are transparent, scraping up all brown bits from the bottom.

Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add canned tomatoes and water. Add salt and pepper and stir. Stir in the other half of the mint, basil, and pepper flakes and place the pot over a heat diffuser.

Add the cooked meat back in, and any juices collected from the platter and stir into the sauce.

Gently place the meatballs over the top, spooning a little gravy over them, and gently push them into the gravy.

Get the heat to a medium simmer, cover and cook for one hour, occasionally making sure nothing sticks to the bottom with a large wooden spoon.

After an hour, spoon out the meatballs and cook the gravy for an additional hour uncovered.

After the full two hours, collect the fat that pools at the top and discard it. Or chill the mixture overnight (better the next day) and pick off the fat that congeals at the top. Just before the meat is fully cooked, add the meatballs back in. Easier to spoon the fat off the top before placing the meatballs back in.

Serve over spaghetti with a nice crusty Italian bread and grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

patricia19

italian Style Meatballs

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/italian-style-meatballs/

The meatballs are fully cooked and can be used in a variety of recipes. For spaghetti and meatballs, put the meatballs directly into a pot of your favorite tomato sauce and continue to cook in the sauce for another five to ten minutes. Or place them into hot stock for an Italian Meatball soup.
These meatballs freeze well. Freeze on a single layer in a dish or pan. Once frozen, place in zip lock bags and place back into the freezer.

patricia19

From Cravings   https://tinyurl.com/yp5m3nyn

Thai PAD SEE EW USING BOW-TIE PASTA!

SERVES: 4 PREP: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES (INCLUDING MARINATING)

FOR THE "BOW-TIE" SEE EW:

INGREDIENTS

½ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces

1 teaspoon ground white pepper

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon light brown sugar

12 ounces bow-tie pasta

¼ cup vegetable oil

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

½ pound Chinese broccoli or regular broccoli, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)

¹⁄3 cup Thai sweet dark soy sauce (store-bought or homemade)

2 tablespoons light soy sauce

½ cup fresh basil leaves

+ Pickled Chile Vinegar and Roasted Chile Powder (recipes follow) for serving

FOR THE PICKLED CHILE VINEGAR:

1 jalapeño pepper

1 cup distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar

FOR THE ROASTED CHILE POWDER:

2 cups dried red chiles, such as Thai, de árbol, or japones

DIRECTIONS

MAKE THE PICKLED CHILE VINEGAR:
Halve the jalapeño lengthwise and remove the seeds, then thinly slice crosswise. Combine the vinegar and jalapeño in a glass jar or other airtight container. For the best flavor, refrigerate overnight before using. The vinegar keeps in the fridge for 2 months.

MAKE THE ROASTED CHILE POWDER:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. If you have an oven hood fan, turn it on.

Spread the chiles evenly across a sheet pan and roast for about 6 minutes, checking them halfway through. The chiles are done when they change color from red to a very dark reddish-brown. Watch closely near the end to make sure they don't burn.

Transfer chiles to a plate and let cool completely. Place them in a mortar and grind with the pestle until they're the size of red pepper flakes (or use a spice grinder or small blender on high speed for 10–15 seconds; make sure the blender is totally dry). Store the chile powder in an airtight container; it keeps for about 3 months or longer if kept in the freezer.

MAKE THE "BOW-TIE" SEE EW:
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, white pepper, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour (or overnight in the fridge).

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta a few minutes less than package directions for al dente, then drain well.

In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until shimmering hot.

Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in the chicken and broccoli and cook, often stirring, for about 3 minutes, until the meat is lightly browned and the broccoli is almost tender.

Stir in the eggs and cook until the eggs are dry and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in the pasta, sweet soy sauce, and light soy sauce. Cook, often tossing, until the pasta is warmed through and coated evenly in sauce, about 3 minutes. Stir in the basil and turn off the heat.

Serve immediately with the pickled chile vinegar and chile powder on the side.

patricia19

Lemon Thyme-Peach Lemonade

Prep 15 Minutes    Chill two or more hours.

1/4th to 1 cup sugar
3-4 fresh lemon thyme or thyme sprigs Optional more for garnishes
2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
(10 to 11 lemons) roll back and forth on the counter
a few times to extract more juice
1 11-oz. can(1 1/2 cups) peach nectar
lemon slices

1) In a large pitcher, combine sugar and thyme sprigs
gently crush thyme with the back of a wooden spoon.
Add the water, lemon juice, stir until sugar is dissolved, and peach nectar.
Cover, chill for two to twenty-four hours.

2)  Serve with lemon slices and, if desired, additional thyme sprigs.
It makes 8 8-ounce servings or can be double or more for larger groups.

This is delicious at a picnic, barbeque, or any outdoor activity.

I personally recommend it angelface555

JaneS

OKAY, AMY! The pickled radishes are doing their overnight thing in the fridge tonight and I'll let you know tomorrow how they turned out.  I also had enough radishes to make fried radishes for supper.  Ummmmmm, ummmmm good!  And I have all the stuff laid out to do the pickled onions tomorrow.  Gonna be some good salads and sandwiches around here!

PATRICIA, my Italian Mother-in-Law ALWAYS made her meatballs with ground pork.  And the huge pot of sauce ALWAYS had pork chops thrown in.  It took me a long time to put her recipe together and do it for myself but I made it.  My husband kept saying, "It's ALMOST as good as MOM's" and then one day he said, "Did Mom give you this sauce?"  I knew I'd made it!  Her parents emigrated her from Italy so she really did make Italian food and she made it great!

Amy

Jane, anxious to know how they both turned out. I do have the red onion to pickle just need to do it!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Strawberry Coriander Compote
Comfort cooking for two

Yield 1 and 1/2 cups

12 ounces strawberries, frozen or fresh, are fine

3 Tablespoons agave nectar, honey, or sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground coriander

juice of 1/2 lemon

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients except the lemon juice over medium heat. Stirring occasionally until the strawberries plump and slightly thicken about five minutes.

Stir in lemon juice and taste-add additional sweetener if desired.

Serve with pancakes, waffles, yougart, or oatmeal.

Stir any leftovers in the fridge for up to five days.

JaneS

I retested the pickled radishes today and they're still delicious!  I also tried the onions today and they are just as good!  I taste tested them and then I added them to my sandwich for lunch.  It was same old PA Lebanon bologna but with a SPECIAL touch!  UMMMM  UMMMM Goooooood!

patricia19

WHITE TEXAS SHEET CAKE

YIELD: 12X18-INCH PAN PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS
CAKE:
 2 cups all-purpose flour
 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
 1 teaspoon salt
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
 1 cup water
 1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
 2 large eggs
 1 teaspoon almond extract
 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut (optional)

ICING:
 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
 1/4 cup milk
 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
 3 cups powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 12X18-inch rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and water and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a rolling boil, please remove it from the heat and stir it into the flour mixture until combined. Whisk in the sour cream, eggs, almond extract, and coconut (if using).

Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Toward the end of the baking time for the cake, in a saucepan, combine the butter and milk for the icing. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in the almond extract and then gradually whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.

Once the cake has been taken out of the oven, pour the icing over the warm cake.

NOTES
Halving the Recipe: ok, let's talk. You could {probably} halve the recipe for a 9X13-inch pan, but I haven't tried it yet, so experiment and let me know how it goes.

Coconut Version: also, if you want to take this to a coconut-crazy level (which I've done and absolutely died over), sub the butter for organic, extra-virgin coconut oil in the cake and the icing, switch out the almond extract for coconut extract (or vanilla extract) and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top of the iced cake.

Coconut Oil: the coconut oil gives it a slightly sweeter taste but is delicious. I've made it the original way (as posted) and the coconut way, and both are phenomenal.

Extract: if you don't love the flavor of almond extract, sub in vanilla extract.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/white-texas-sheet-cake/?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

patricia19

Béchamel is a standard white sauce and one of the five mother sauces of classical cuisine. This recipe includes several variations, including Mornay, mustard sauce, herb sauce, and more.

This is a medium sauce. For a thin sauce, use 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour. For a thick sauce, use 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of flour.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup heated milk
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
Optional: freshly ground nutmeg

Steps to Make It
Melt butter in a saucepan or saucier over medium heat. Add flour and stir until mixture is well blended. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

Gradually stir in hot milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil and thickens.

Simmer, stirring frequently, over very low heat for 5 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a little nutmeg, if desired.

Recipe Variations
Mornay Sauce: Add 1/2 cup grated cheese to 1 cup of hot sauce; stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Season with a little mustard or Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Velouté Sauce: Substitute chicken, beef, fish, or vegetable broth for the milk.
Herb Sauce: Add 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped herbs or 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs to 1 cup of hot sauce. Cook for a minute or two longer to get more flavor from the herbs.

Cream Sauce: Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of heavy cream to the finished sauce. For an onion flavor, add an onion slice to the milk when heating; remove onion slice before adding milk to flour and butter mixture.

Mustard Sauce: Combine 1 teaspoon dry mustard to flour used in sauce. This sauce is especially good with fish and chicken.

patricia19

patricia19

Rémoulade Sauce

This version does not use horseradish, but feel free to add about 1 to 2 tablespoons if you'd like. The chopped cornichon pickles, capers, and mustard add fabulous flavor to the mayonnaise, making it reminiscent of tartar sauce. If you can't find cornichons, use chopped sour or dill pickles, or dill pickle relish.

Ingredients

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichon (or good dill pickle relish)
1 teaspoon capers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (or grainy Dijon)
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 dash hot sauce, or to taste
Kosher salt, to taste

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chopped cornichon or relish, chopped capers, lemon juice, mustard, parsley, and tarragon.

Taste and add hot sauce and salt, as needed.

Cover and refrigerate the rémoulade sauce until serving time.

What to Serve Rémoulade With
Crab cakes
Fish and chips
Fried oysters
Fried pickles
Grilled fish sandwich
Shrimp cocktail
Hot dogs with bacon, lettuce, and tomato
Crab salad
Lamb burger
Hush puppies

patricia19

Chimichurri is an Argentine sauce typically used with red meat, but it is also excellent with fish and seafood. The traditional recipe always has parsley, garlic, and oregano, but you can mix it up from time to time depending on what herbs you have. Mint and borage (which tastes like cucumbers) are excellent substitutes with seafood.

Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 garlic cloves
1 cup parsley (or borage or watercress leaves)
1/2 cup oregano leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried)
2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes (or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.

Heat the water and dissolve the salt in it. Remove from heat. When water is cool enough to stick your finger in, proceed with the chimichurri.

Put everything except the olive oil into a food processor and pulse to combine. You can puree it or leave it chunky, as you prefer.

With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil and buzz for 30 seconds to a minute. Allow it to marinate for a few hours before serving.

Enjoy!

Tips
Chimichurri should hold up for a week or two in the fridge.

patricia19

Satay Sauce

Prep:
10 mins
Cook:
0 mins
Total:
10 mins
Servings:
4 to 6 servings
Yields:
1 1/2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted fresh dry roasted peanuts
1/3 cup water
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce)
1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste (or 1/2 tablespoon lime juice)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or 1 teaspoon Thai chile sauce), more or less to taste
1/3 cup coconut milk

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.

Ingredients for satay peanut sauce
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.

Peanuts in food processor
Blend or process until the sauce is smooth. If you prefer a runnier peanut sauce, add a little more water or coconut milk. Taste and then adjust as needed.

Peanut sauce
Serve warm or at room temperature with chicken, pork, beef, or vegetarian satay, or your favorite recipe. Enjoy.

Finished bowl of satay peanut sauce

Tips
Finding the balance in this sauce is key. To adjust the flavor, blend in one of the recipe's ingredients until it's to your liking:

Add more fish sauce or soy sauce if not salty enough.
Make it spicier with more cayenne.
When it's too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
If you'd prefer it sweeter, add a little more sugar.
To make it vegetarian, use soy sauce instead of fish sauce.
This sauce tends to thicken as it sits; add a little water or coconut milk to thin it out as needed.

What Do You Serve Peanut Sauce With?
The peanut sauce can be used for all kinds of things beyond satay. Satay sauce is excellent as an all-purpose Asian salad dressing and a dip for fresh spring rolls. Use it to make a delicious cold noodle salad or as a marinade for grilled chicken or tofu. It's also a great dip for a snack of fresh raw veggies.

How to Store and Freeze Satay Sauce
This satay stores well if kept covered in the refrigerator for two weeks. It can also be frozen in ice cube trays, then transferred to a freezer-safe storage bag or container and kept in the freezer for up to six months.

patricia19

Caramel Sauce

Prep:
8 mins
Cook:
8 mins
Total:
16 mins
Servings:
12 to 16 servings

This wonderful creamy caramel sauce is a snap to prepare and it's delicious over ice cream or bread pudding.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (packed)
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup water (boiling)
Dash salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Vanilla (to taste)

Steps to Make It
Mix sugar with flour in ​a saucepan; blend well. Add water and salt.

Stir while cooking for 6 to 8 minutes. If too thick add a little more water.

Remove from heat; stir in butter, cream, and vanilla to taste.

patricia19

Bolognese Sauce

Prep:
30 mins
Cook:
2 hrs 30 mins
Total:
3 hrs
Servings:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
6 to 8 ounces ground beef (it shouldn't be too lean, or the sugo will be dry)
Optional: 2 ounces pancetta (minced; if you omit it increase the beef)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 medium onion (minced)
1/2 carrot (minced)
1 stalk celery (minced)
1/2 cup red wine (dry)
3/4 cup tomatoes (crushed or 2 tablespoons tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
8 ounces beef broth (If you don't have any, dissolve half a bouillon cube in a cup of boiling water)
1 pinch salt
1 pound pasta
Garnish: freshly grated Parmigiano

Steps to Make It
Mince the pancetta and the vegetables, and sauté them in a casserole or Dutch oven with the oil. When the onion is golden, add the ground meat and continue cooking till it's browned.

Stir in the wine and let the sauce simmer till the wine has evaporated, then add the tomatoes, a ladle of broth, and check the seasoning.

Continue simmering over a very low flame for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more broth if the sugo looks like it's drying out. The sugo will improve steadily as it cooks, and if you have the time simmer it longer - some suggest it be simmered for 6 hours, adding boiling water or broth as necessary. When it is done it should be rich and thick.

This Sauce Invites Improvisation
Ground Meat. A spectacularly good Sunday dinner dishes is bracioline al sugo, cutlets in sauce. Make the sauce with 3/4 of a pound of ground meat, adjusting the other ingredients accordingly, and buy a pound of thinly sliced cutlets as well - they needn't be an expensive cut - ask your butcher to cut some 1/4 inch slices from the rump or the round.

Add them when you add the ground beef, and cook the sugo as you normally would.
Serve paste al sugo as a first course, and the cutlets as a second course, with boiled spinach that's been reheated by tossing in a pan with a quarter cup of olive oil and a minced clove of garlic. If you want to try something even better, substitute ossibuchi for the cutlets. Figure one ossobuco per diner, and remember to snip the fatty membranes around the ossibuchi in a couple of places or they will shrink and the ossibuchi will curl.

Flour the ossibuchi and brown them in a skillet while preparing the herbs and browning the ground meat, and drain them before adding them to the pot. Simmer the sauce until the ossibuchi are tender, about three hours.

Pork or Veal. Of course, Sugo alla Bolognese is not the only sugo made in Italy throughout the winter months. Sugo di maiale, pork sauce, is quite nice, as are sugo di vitello/ veal sauce, and sugo d'agnello, lamb sauce. Though they do require some cooking time, you can easily expand them and freeze some for later.

Mushrooms: You may wish to add a few chopped dried porcini (soak them in boiling the water first, and strain and add the liquid as well), or a minced chicken liver to the sauce while it's simmering.

Some cooks use the meat from a link sausage instead of pancetta, whereas others omit the pork entirely, using more beef. If you use more pork the sauce will taste sweeter. Artusi suggests that you may want to stir 1/2 cup of cream into it just before you pour it over the pasta.

Wine: In terms of wine, I'd suggest a relatively light red such as a Chianti Colli Fiorentini.

Freezer Note
This bolognese recipe expands and freezes well, and if you double or triple it, using some and freezing the rest, you will have taken care of several meals.

patricia19

Homemade Turkey Gravy

2 SERVINGS
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups yellow onions (finely chopped, from 2 small onions)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
chicken broth (Defatted turkey drippings plus, to make 2-1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon cognac (or Brandy)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon herbs (chopped fresh, such as thyme, sage, rosemary, or parsley)
salt (and pepper, to taste)

HOW TO MAKE TURKEY GRAVY
Begin by melting the butter in a medium saucepan, and add the onions.

Cook until very soft, about 15 minutes.

Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.

Then whisk in your turkey drippings/chicken broth and Cognac.

Cook for about 5 minutes until thickened, then stir in the cream.

Add the fresh herbs.

Then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remember, the gravy should be generously seasoned because turkey is very bland.  Always taste it with a piece of meat to be sure the seasoning is right. That's all there is to it...Enjoy!

patricia19

You know the packets of dry gravy mix? The ones at the store? You can make your own Homemade Gravy Mix in just a few steps!

Homemade Gravy Mix

3 Ingredients   5 minutes

Ingredients

4 SERVINGS
3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or ground black)

Optional:

Use seasoned salt
Dry Italian seasoning
Dry Ranch Seasoning
Grated garlic
Grated onion
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Minced giblets
Pan drippings
Fresh or dried herbs

prep time5 mins
total time5 mins

Ingredients
3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper

Instructions
DRY MIX:
Mix all three ingredients in an airtight container and keep in a dry place for up to 6 months.

TO PREPARE GRAVY:
In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter OR 2 tablespoons meat drippings with 1 cup water, add 2 tablespoons of gravy mix, whisking until smooth. Season with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Notes
If you are using cubed beef bouillon, use the back of a spoon to break it apart.

patricia19

Easy Homemade Butter

Homemade Butter is so simple, and you'll wonder why you never made your own butter at home before. With only 4 ingredients, you'll be "churning" every day!

prep time5 mins
total time5 mins

ingredients
1-pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon cheese salt or Kosher Salt
Ice Water
Desired add-ins

Instructions
Place heavy cream in a food processor or blender. Hit blend and watch your appliance do the work. You will see the mixture changes in both consistency and color over about 2-3 minutes.

Continue to mix until the cream separates into butter and butterfat. Drain off butterfat. Discard or reserve for other recipes like White Chocolate and Raspberry Pancakes.

Add 1/2 cup ice water and continue to blend for 30 seconds. Drain off water. Add additional 1/2 cup ice water and repeat. Drain.

Remove from food processor or blender and fold in cheese salt by hand. Mix well, or else you will get a mouth full of salt at some point. Add other flavors and fresh herbs, citrus zest, dried fruit bits, or other spices.

Refrigerate until ready to use in any recipe that requires butter!