Random Image

Smokey

Owner: Oldiesmann
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Homemade Mayo

Homemade Mayo is easier than ever to make! This blend mayonnaise recipe uses just a few ingredients to whip up a fresh batch of rich, creamy mayo that will taste loads better than any store-bought brand and give you the control over the quality of oil used and salt added.

I find that making homemade mayonnaise is much more satisfying and tasty. So simple that even my niece and nephew help me make it, all you need is a blender or a really strong whisking arm.

In its most basic form, mayonnaise is made with eggs, oil, and salt. The beauty of making your own mayonnaise is that you can control two of these factors.

You need eggs, otherwise, it isn't mayonnaise, but you can choose the type of oil and amount of salt added. What type of oil do you use in mayonnaise?

Safflower Oil
Canola OIl
Grape Seed Oil
Peanut Oil
Sunflower Oil
Avocado oil

After the base mayonnaise recipe, you can now flavor to your liking. The most popular mayonnaise recipes are lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and fresh herbs.

In order to get the perfect blender emulsification, you want to have the egg yolks at high speed and add the oil in a thin stream while it blends. Likewise, if you choose to do this by hand, you will need to whisk constantly while you pour.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week!

patricia19

Homemade ketchup

Ingredients
28 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Cornstarch
1/4 cup Water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 pinch cumin
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into a large food processor or blender and mix on med-low for 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined and smooth.

Transfer the ketchup to a small saucepan and heat on medium until simmering. Let the ketchup simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.

Once simmered, place the ketchup in an airtight container and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Once chill stir the ketchup and enjoy with hotdogs, french fries and ore.

Notes
Leftover Storage: Store leftover homemade ketchup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Stir before enjoying.

Water Note: Start by adding ¼ cup of water to the ketchup. If the ketchup is too thick for your liking you can add more when it is simmering.

Amy

Patricia, I have made butter in the past...lots of it.....starting with about 3 gallons of cream at a time. When I first made it, I used a gallon jar with a paddle that you sat and turned.......as time when on I bought an electric churn.....thought I had died and went to heaven with that!! Made the job so easy!  When your butter starts to come together you lift it out into a clean bowl and wash it.......yes wash it is cold water. Since we were on a well the water was very cold. You are washing the buttermilk out of the butter.  Lightly salt the butter mixing it in to the right taste for you. Save the butter milk for baking, or a neighbour that drank it or feed it to the hens,dog or cats.    Looking back in time...
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, that's very close to my method. I've been making so many sauces etc., and they're better tasting and fewer chemicals. My mother never purchased any condiments, and her's were all homemade. I got away from that for a long time, and now I'm back.

I haven't done a large amount at a time, as in your recipe. I'd have to freeze most of it. I received six packages of one-pound Kerry butter from a friend in mid-March, and I'm still on the first lb.

I'm thinking of listing the three types or methods of homemade gravy. I saw one recipe where they said to take a commercial gray powder packet, added stuff to it, and called it homemade!

Gravy, like butter, is extremely simple; why buy a packet of chemicals?

patricia19

Garlic Butter Steak

Garlic Butter Steak- Grilled Filet Mignon with Brandy Garlic Butter
Garlic Butter Steak is perfect for any occasion! Grilled filet mignon is perfect for a special date night or just for a typical weeknight meal!

prep time 10 mins cook time 15 mins Total time 25 mins

Ingredients
4 beef tenderloin filets
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided and softened
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 large leeks, white and pale green, sliced and clean
8-ounce cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
4 tablespoons brandy garlic butter
1 tablespoon garlic, minced

Instructions

Start by preparing your fillets. Take out of the refrigerator and season with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides. Allow to sit at room temperature while you heat the grill to medium-high heat.

Heat 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Add leeks, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute until soft, approximately 5-10 minutes.
When the grill is heated, grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and allow to sit for a minimum of 3 minutes.

To serve, spoon leeks and mushrooms on a plate, top with grilled beef fillet, and top with a spoonful of brandy garlic butter.

patricia19

Brandy Garlic Butter

Ingredients

6 tablespoons salted butter
3 tablespoons freshly parsley , chopped
2 cloves garlic , finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy

Instructions
In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley, garlic and brandy.
Using a fork, mash together until well combined.
Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

patricia19

Copycat Carrabba's Olive Oil Bread Dip

Get the special blend of spices to make Carrabba's Olive Oil Bread Dip at home! I bet you already have everything you need in the pantry for this Italian bread dipping oil.

prep time5 mins
total time5 mins

Ingredients
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
Combine crushed red pepper, black pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, sea salt, and crush garlic. Mix well.
If serving immediately, place the dry spice mixture on a shallow plate. Drizzle desired amount of extra virgin olive oil over, serve. Wait to combine extra virgin olive oil and dry spices until right before serving.

patricia19

Ancho Citrus Baked Salmon

Ingredients

4 salmon fillets, or one large cut into quarters
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
Cooking Spray

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a vented broiler pan with cooking spray. Rinse salmon fillets and place them on a broiler pan. Using a vented broiler pan cooks the fish evenly and quicker because the heat is circulating around the entire fillet.

Combine lemon juice through orange juice concentrate in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until combined. Lower heat to keep warm.

Baste salmon fillets with glaze and place in the oven for 5 minutes.

Remove and baste again. Cook for an additional 5 minutes

Baste and cook for an additional 5 minutes. It will be a total of 15 minutes in the oven.

Fish should flake easily with a fork. Do not serve salmon (unless sushi grade) under medium. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the fillet. Allow sitting for 2-3 minutes before serving.

Drizzle more glaze over fillets or serve with a small dipping container on the side. Enjoy!

patricia19

Pineapple Pork Curry

Pineapple Pork Curry is a homemade curry recipe using fresh herbs and spices, tender pork, sweet pineapple tomatoes, and citrus for an amazing curry from scratch that everyone will love.

Ingredients

*CURRY POWDER:
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
10 whole cloves
2 whole star anise
6 green cardamom pods
6 dried lime leaves
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1.2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons turmeric

FOR THE PORK:

2-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 pounds boneless pork butt excess fat removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

FOR THE SAUCE:

10 plum tomatoes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5-6 shallots thinly sliced, about 2 cups
6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
1/3 cup fresh ginger grated or minced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 leaf bunch cilantro removed from stems (set aside for serving)
1 5- inch strip orange peel
1 5- strip lemon peel
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chopped into 1-inch bits

FOR SERVING:
Cilantro-Lime Coconut Rice
Cilantro leaves
Maldon sea salt or another flaky sea salt
Fresh lime wedges
Grilled pineapple slices

Instructions
FOR CURRY POWDER:
Heat a small skillet over medium heat, add whole fennel, cumin, fenugreek, cloves, and star anise, toasting lightly, approximately 5 minutes, or until fragrant.

Combine toasted ingredients with the remaining spices in a spice grinder, clean coffee grinder, or small, high-powered food processor and pulse until mixture is a fine powder. Allow dust to settle with the lid on, then place into a bowl and set aside.

FOR PORK:

Toss 1-inch pork cubes with kosher salt and pepper, equally coating.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Cook pork in batches to be careful not to overcrowd and nicely brown. It might take you 3-4 rounds to do it all. Add additional olive oil as needed. Set pork on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Set aside.

FOR SAUCE:
Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a bowl. Set a medium mixing bowl filled with ice water to the side.

Working in batches, plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 30-40 seconds or until you see the skin starting to pucker. Remove using a knife, score a small "X" on end, and place in the ice bath. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes. The skin should easily peel off. Coarsely chop, set aside with any tomato juice run-off.

In a large oven-safe Dutch oven or heavy bottom saucepot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced shallots, sautéing until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook until all vegetables are lightly browned, an additional 5 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes and Kosher salt, tossing to combine and heat. Wait until the mixture has become dry before adding remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Add curry powder and browned pork. At this stage, you might need to divide into 2 pots to accommodate the volume.

Cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350, stirring occasionally. At 90 minutes, reduce the temperature to 250 degrees for an additional hour.

Fish out citrus peel and cilantro stems.

Serve over Cilantro-Lime Coconut Rice, top with fresh cilantro leaves, Maldon sea salt, fresh lime juice, and garnish with grilled pineapple slices.

patricia19

Beef Goulash

prep time15 mins
cook time30 mins
total time45 mins

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
14.5 ounces tomato sauce
8 ounces tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon gravy master
2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried flat parsley
2 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat ground beef over medium heat. If you are using low fat ground beef, add vegetable oil to prevent it from sticking. Break into pieces and cook fully for approximately 5-9 minutes.

Drain ground beef, discarding any liquid or grease left behind. You don't have to wipe it clean; just pour it out.

Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the hot pot and add bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften. You don't want them to be fully softened.

Add diced tomatoes in juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bay leaves, smoked paprika, black pepper, beef broth, gravy master, dried oregano, and dried parsley. Bring to a low simmer.

When simmering, add dry elbow macaroni, being mindful to stir often and scrape the bottom of the pot as it tends to stick.

Simmer for an additional 15-18 minutes or until macaroni is al dente.

Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheddar cheese.

Sample the goulash to determine if it needs additional salt. Since beef broths vary in saltiness, I wait until the very end to decide if it needs additional seasoning.

Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

patricia19

A tip for roasting chickens uses just a couple of lemons, four garlic cloves, butter, sea salt, and pepper that fill the cavity and are eased under the breast skin just before roasting.

patricia19

From Lifehacker

Chef Lucas Sin is one of the best Instagram accounts you can follow when it comes to simple, straightforward cooking advice that really ups your kitchen game. From simple roasted sweet potatoes to lasagna, his account is full of solid techniques and delicious recipes, including multiple tomatoes and egg soup versions.

His most recent post features a simple salt and sugar quick-cure, and it falls into that first category, the solid techniques. It's a basic, easy one that everyone should know, and it will make your fish—any fish—firmer and tastier. Sin picked up the technique in Japan where sushi chefs commonly use it, but that doesn't mean you should think of it "only as a 'sushi chef secret.'" "It's tempting," Sin explains in his post, "but the cliché would betray the fact that the technique is a culture + industry-wide standard practice."

All you have to do is coat your piece of fish—including the skin side—in a heavy dusting of two parts salt and one part sugar, and wait 15 minutes. The salt and sugar will draw out excess water, giving your fish a firmer, bouncier texture and more intense flavor.

patricia19

Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad

Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad is a cold macaroni salad using deviled egg filling, pasta, and finely minced vegetables. The perfect make-ahead side dish for parties and potlucks!

prep time15 mins
cook time15 mins
chilling time1 hr
total time30 mins

Ingredients

1 pound uncooked cavatappi pasta
6 eggs, hard-boiled
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup carrots, finely minced
1/2 cup celery, finely minced
2 tablespoons red onion, finely minced
2 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely minced
1 tablespoon chives, minced
smoked paprika for garnish

Instructions
Heat water to boil pasta in a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a rolling boil and salt well.

Cook pasta until fully done, going 1 minute longer than al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.

Drain well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Cut hard-boiled eggs in half, removing yolks and setting whites aside.
Using a grate or fork, mash egg yolks in a small bowl until smooth.
Slowly add mayonnaise, then white vinegar, Dijon mustard, ground white pepper, Kosher salt, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Chop egg whites until small pieces.

In a large mixing bowl, combine chilled pasta egg yolk mixture, chopped egg whites, and minced carrot, celery, red onion, red bell pepper, and chives. Toss until just mixed, do not stir. Top with additional smoked paprika.

Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Notes:  This is also one of the rare occurrences where using a dried, boxed pasta is preferably. Fresh pasta tastes fabulous when it is cooked fresh, but macaroni salads are going to sit for a while and the sauce they are tossed in will soak into the pasta. Dry pastas are better for this.

Chilled pasta also tosses better and gives you less of a chance for breakage. After boiling, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.

Make sure you toss the salad instead of stir it. One of the most common mistakes is a heavy stir and then all the ingredients muddy together making for an unappetizing macaroni salad.

patricia19

Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables

Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables are veggies caramelized with balsamic vinegar and herbs for a crispy exterior but smooth interior.

prep time10 mins
cook time25 mins
total time35 mins

Ingredients

3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large parsnip, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red onion, peeled and cut into eighths
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Italian seasoning, Kosher salt, and white pepper.

Toss with cut vegetables. Using a slotted spoon, toss vegetables to a large rimmed baking sheet, arranging in a single layer.

Roast for 20-25 minutes.
Remove and allow steam to release before transferring to a serving dish.

patricia19

Fresh Fruit Salad

This is the best fruit salad recipe! With an easy fruit salad dressing of agave and fresh mint, it's the perfect refreshing salad recipe for summer!

prep time 20 mins
cook time 0 mins
total time 20 mins

Ingredients

4-6 cups fresh fruit, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons light agave nectar
1 tablespoon fresh mint, small leaves, or minced

Instructions
In a small bowl, combine light agave nectar with mint.

Drizzle fruit salad with agave nectar mixture.

Serve immediately.

Fruit Salad.jpg

patricia19

How to Quickly Pickle Vegetables

Written by: JESSICA FORMICOLA

Step-by-step instructions on how to quickly pickle vegetables for salads, sides, and any dish that needs a little pick me up. Plus ideas for the best vegetables to pickle!

prep time 5 mins cook time 5 mins cooling time 20 mins

Ingredients

1 cup vegetables
½ cup vinegar
½ cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Instructions

1. Add the vinegar and water along with the sugar and salt in a small saucepan and whisk everything together; bring to a low boil or until sugar and salt have dissolved.

2. Take it off the heat.

3. Pour the hot liquid over the veggies and along with any optional ingredients. Allow everything to come to room temp before using the pickles.

patricia19

Quick Pickling Possibilities Are Endless!

written by: JESSICA FORMICOLA

Let's talk basics. Pickling is a form of fermentation. Fermentation is the chemical breakdown of a substance, in this case, food. The process that makes pickles and quick pickles are the same ones that give us beer, wine, and liquor.

The pickling liquid that is fermenting your veggies is also called "brine." Think of brine as a salty vehicle for flavor.

Start by picking your vegetable. Forget the humdrum cucumber (although delicious and great for a quick pickle!) and think bigger. Step outside that comfort zone.

If the veggie would normally go great with a dish, pickle it and see just how much more it gives the dish. Here are some of my ideas to help get those pickle juices flowing:

carrots
radishes
onions
cherry tomatoes
cauliflower
fennel
beets
fresh corn kernels
green beans
spicy peppers like jalapenos
cabbage

Next, prep your veggies. Take care to scrub them clean. Remove any roots or thick skins or stems that you wouldn't normally eat. Then (and this is important), break them down into smaller pieces.

If the vegetables are too thick, your brine won't permeate through. Remember, it's a quick pickle, so time is of the essence!

How you break them down will depend on the vegetable and your personal preference. I love a thin slice, matchsticks, coins, and quarters for long veggies. If what you are using is small enough, you might even be able to leave them whole. (Ahem, green beans.)

Then it's time to make your brine, aka your pickling liquid. There are lots of recipes for quick pickles. I use this basic one below and change it up depending on what type I am making:

1 cup of vegetables
½ cup of vinegar – some prefer using unseasoned rice vinegar
½ cup of water
2 tablespoons of white granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

Add the vinegar and water along with the sugar and salt in a small saucepan and whisk everything together. It should be just about to boil, and all the granules should be dissolved. Take it off the heat.

This step is optional. I repeat, optional. If you are feeling adventurous or experimental, now is the time to play around. Sometimes I will add things like:

whole fresh herbs – dill or cilantro are great!
whole spices (think coriander or peppercorns)
whole garlic cloves
hot chilies – halved or whole is fine
And then, pickle! Pour the hot liquid over the veggies and along with any optional ingredients. Allow everything to come to room temp before using the pickles.

This can also be made ahead. Just allow it to come to room temp, then cover it and transfer it to the fridge.

Your quick pickles can last up to two weeks in the fridge. If they start to lose their snap, it is time to whip up a new batch.

There is no right or wrong way to quick pickle. Some ideas;

thinly sliced cucumbers for backyard burgers
carrot or radish matchsticks for rice bowls
hot peppers cut into coins for nachos or tacos
whole green beans with a meat and cheese board

Quick pickles are a great way to make the most of your vegetables if you see something that might not make it to the end of the week. Mix and match your veggies, try different flavors in your brine – the quick pickling possibilities are endless!

Tomereader1

Wow!  I love these pickling ideas!  Must try some!

patricia19

Instant Pot Recipe: Chicken Parmesan
By Abbey Rodriguez

It's no secret chicken parmesan is a dinner favorite. The savory flavors of cheese and tomato sauce on breaded chicken is the ultimate comfort food. But oftentimes, when you seek comfort food, you're in no mood to spend hours in the kitchen! That's where the Instant Pot comes in. Make this classic dinner in a fraction of the time!

Things You'll Need

4 fresh chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
Pasta or rice

Step 1: Bread Chicken
Mix flour, Parmesan, garlic salt, oregano, and pepper in a small bowl. Coat each chicken breast in olive oil and then dip in the flour mixture, breading both sides. Set aside.

Step 2: Saute Chicken
Select the "Saute" button on the pressure cooker. Pour in remaining olive oil. Place chicken breasts in the pot and cook both sides until brown and slightly crisp, about 5 minutes each side. Select the "Cancel" button to turn it off.

Step 3: Cook Chicken
Pour tomato sauce over chicken. Lock the lid and flip the valve to "Sealing." Push the "Manual" button and set the time to 12 minutes on high pressure. When chicken is done, release the valve to "Venting" to quickly release the steam. Sprinkle mozzarella on top and replace the lid for another 5 minutes to let the cheese melt. Serve over pasta, rice, or quinoa while warm.

patricia19

Instant Pot Recipe: Easy Chicken Alfredo
By Abbey Rodriguez

Things You'll Need

4 tablespoons butter
4 chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
16 oz fettuccine pasta
Chopped basil parsley for garnish

Step 1: Brown Chicken
Press the "Saute" button on your Instant Pot. Place butter in the pot, along with chicken breasts. Allow them to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Press "Cancel" to turn it off.

Step 2: Make the Alfredo Sauce
Add in the garlic, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Lock the lid into place and seal the valve on the lid. Select "Manual" on high pressure, and set it to 8 minutes.

Tip
If chicken breasts are frozen, set the timer to 10 minutes.

Step 3: Prepare Pasta
While chicken Alfredo is cooking, make fettuccine pasta in a pot until al dente.

Step 4: Add Cheese and Serve
When the Instant Pot beeps and is done cooking, quick release the valve to "Venting." Once pressure is released, remove the lid, and stir in mozzarella cheese until melted. Add the cooked fettuccine to the pot and mix well. Serve while warm and garnish with basil or parsley.

Tip
Place a kitchen towel over the "Venting" valve when quick releasing the pressure. This will help avoid the hot steam (especially if you're new to pressure cooking).

patricia19

Banana Walnut Bread

prep time 10 mins cook time 1 hr total time 1 hr 10 mins

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 cup shortening
2 large eggs room temperature
3 aged bananas peeled and mashed
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup walnuts chopped
Butter or Baking Flavored Cooking Spray

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together shortened, sugar and eggs. Add mashed bananas and blend on low until incorporated. Over blending or beating will result in tough bread, so keep it slow.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gradually add to the wet mixture until combined.

By hand, fold in walnuts with a spatula. Lightly coat a 9-inch bread pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal—transfer batter into the bread pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is lightly brown and it passes the toothpick test. If the top starts to brown too fast, loosely cover with a leaf of aluminum foil.
Allow to cool slightly before eating. Store wrapped in aluminum foil at room temperature or freeze. Enjoy!

patricia19

Mushroom Spinach Egg Muffins

Mushroom Spinach Egg Muffins are the perfect idea for making ahead to freeze in individual serving sizes or for guests for brunch or breakfast!

prep time 5 mins  cook time 25 mins  total time 30 mins

Ingredients

12 egg whites
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
2/3 cup Swiss or mozzarella cheese finely shredded
Fine sea salt and pepper
Cooking Spray

Instructions

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.

Heat a medium skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.

Add spinach and mushrooms. Allow veggies to sweat and reduce, removing excess liquid. Cook until spinach is wilted and mushrooms have reduced in size. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to remove more residual liquid.

Equally, divide spinach and mushrooms into 12 muffin tins. Equally, divide finely shredded cheese. Season each cup with a sprinkle of fine sea salt and pepper. Pour egg whites equally among each muffin tin.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until Spinach and Mushroom Mini Casseroles are white and set.

Serve immediately or allow to cool fully before freezing.

patricia19

Seasoned Buttered Noodles

Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked egg noodles

2 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 teaspoons homemade seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions

Cook noodles according to package instructions for al dente.

Drain and return to the hot pan.

The residual heat should be enough to melt your butter, but if not, place it on low heat.

Add butter, homemade seasoned salt, and ground black pepper.

Toss until butter is melted and noodles are fully coated.

Serve immediately.

patricia19

Homemade Seasoned Salt

Ingredients

1/4 cup Kosher salt

2 teaspoons ground white pepper

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions

Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.

Use in any recipe that calls for seasoned salt.

patricia19

Homemade Ranch Dressing

Ingredients

1/3 cup dry powdered buttermilk

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1 teaspoon dried dill

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons dried onion flakes

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

2 teaspoons dried chives, optional

Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients together in a small air-tight container until ready to use.

To make into dressing: Combine 2 tablespoons of seasoning with 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 cup whole milk, whisk to combine, and then store in the refrigerator.

Tip:  The general conversion is 1 teaspoon of dried for every tablespoon of fresh. You can even use freshly grated onion instead of flakes if you prefer.

You can also substitute 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped scallions or chives for the dried, which are optional.

You can substitute plain or Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise.

Amy

Patricia, thank you for the recipes. I have printed some off and will try them.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

I'm glad you've seen some you'd like to try Amy!

Here is one you might like;

Wiener schnitzel means "Viennese cutlet" in German, and it is one of Austria's most traditional and representative dishes. So much so, in fact, that its definition is fiercely protected by Austrian law. It must be made of veal; when made with any other type of meat, it cannot technically be called Wiener schnitzel.

To make Weiner schnitzel from scratch, thinly pounded veal is dredged in breadcrumbs and deep-fried, traditionally in lard or clarified butter. Although it is deep-fried, it should be a light, tender, and delicate dish. Several steps are key to this result: Beating the eggs thoroughly, pounding the meat thinly, frying it in enough oil and at a hot temperature, and lightly coating it with breadcrumbs (making sure not to press them into the meat) are all important factors.

Wiener schnitzel is almost always served with a wedge of lemon.

Prep:
15 mins
Cook:
18 mins
Total:
33 mins
Servings:
4 servings

Ingredients
4 (5-ounce) veal cutlets (or chicken or pork cutlets)
1/4 cup all-purpose (or brown rice flour)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Oil or lard, for frying
4 slices lemon, garnish

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

While pounding the meat, place the cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap for easier cleanup. Use a heavy, flat-surfaced pan to pound if you don't have a meat mallet.

Pound the meat evenly to 1/4-inch thickness for best results.

To bread the schnitzels, set up 3 shallow dishes: Mix the flour and salt in the first dish, the beaten eggs in the second dish, and the breadcrumbs in the third dish.

In a large skillet, heat at least 1/4-inch of oil to 350 F. This takes about 8 minutes.

Working one at a time, dredge cutlets first in flour until the surface is completely dry.

Dip in egg to coat, allow the excess to drip off for a few seconds.

Then roll quickly in the breadcrumbs until coated. Do not press the breadcrumbs into the meat, as this will moisten them and not make for a crispy coating. The crust should not adhere completely but form a loose shell around the schnitzel.

Immediately place meat in the pan with the hot oil. Do not crowd the pan. Cook the schnitzel in batches, if necessary. Just make sure to allow enough time between batches to allow the oil to come back up to 350 F.

Fry the schnitzel for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, until golden brown. Make sure the breaded meat "swims" in fat. Contrary to instinct, the breading will take on less oil than if the meat is sticking to the pan. Also, the breadcrumb topping has a chance to puff up a little, and your cleanup is easier. You may want to swish them around a little with your fork to make sure they are not sticking to the pan.

Turn them over once and fry an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until both sides are golden brown and the meat registers an internal temperature of 145 F. Remove from pan and allow the oil to drain off.

Serve in the traditional manner with lemon slices, as well as potato salad, cucumber salad, or fries. Enjoy.

patricia19

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

For me, this recipe makes one meal with three freezer meals. I often use some of the leftover vegetables in soups or other oven dishes.

For the Pot Roast:

4 pounds beef chuck roast, or bottom round
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup beef stock or water
2 large onions
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, about 5 or 6 medium-sized potatoes
2 to 3 medium carrots
1 to 2 medium bay leaves

For the Optional Gravy:

1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons cold water

Steps to Make It

pat the pot roast with paper towels to dry; remove any excess visible fat.

Season the meat with salt and pepper, and then dust on all sides with the flour.

Heat the oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat.

Brown, the pot roast on all sides in the hot oil, then remove the meat to a plate.

Add the beef stock or water to the skillet; stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen browned bits. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.

Cut the onions in half lengthwise. Peel and cut them crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place the onions in the bottom of a 3 1/2-quart or larger crockpot.

Cut the potatoes into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces. Add to the pot with the onions.

Cut the carrots into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Add to the vegetables in the crockpot.

Place the browned pot roast on top of the vegetables. If the pot roast does not fit comfortably in the pot, cut it into 2 or 3 pieces.

Pour the juices from the skillet over the pot roast and vegetables.

Season with a little more salt and freshly ground black pepper, and add the bay leaf.

Cover the pot and cook on the LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours or on the HIGH setting for about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours. The roast should be almost falling apart, and the vegetables should be tender. For a shreddable roast, longer is better.

Remove the roast to a cutting board and the vegetables to a serving platter, keeping everything warm until serving time.

Make the Gravy

Ingredients for gravy
Skim off the fat or strain the liquids from the slow cooker into a fat separator.

Pour the strained liquids into a saucepan. Bring the liquids to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced to about 1 to 1 1/2 cups. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Combine the flour with the cold water; mix until smooth and well blended.

Add the flour mixture to the reduced liquids, and continue cooking until thickened.

Serve the Pot Roast and Vegetables
Slice the pot roast and place it on top or next to the vegetables on the platter. Drizzle the gravy, if using, over the pot roast and vegetables and serve extra gravy on the side.

patricia19

Asian Chicken Salad Meal Prep Recipe
This is a quick and easy recipe for Asian Chicken Salad.

Ingredients:
10 cups salad greens
1 2/3 cups cooked chicken, diced
2/3 cup carrots, julienned
1/3 cup diced red pepper
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Asian Dressing Ingredients:
⅓ cup olive oil
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce to make this gluten-free)
2 tablespoons honey or sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Directions:
1. Add rice vinegar, olive oil,  soy sauce, garlic, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds to a cruet or a container with a lid. Seal the container and shake vigorously to combine. Pour dressing into 5 condiment containers, then seal the lids, and set aside.

2. Divide the salad greens between 5 lidded bowls.

3. Divide the chicken, carrots, red pepper, green onion, and almond slices between the 5 bowls.

4. Place a container of dressing in each bowl.

5. Place the lids on the bowls and seal them. Store the salads in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

patricia19

Irish Soda Bread

Ingredients
4 cups flour
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 Tbsp butter cold
1 cup raisins
1 large egg lightly beaten
1¾ cups buttermilk

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper - alternatively, you can use a cast iron pan.

Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.

With two knives or a paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is mixed in well, then mix in raisins.

Create a well in the mixture and pour in your egg and buttermilk. Stir the dry ingredients into the liquid slowly with a wooden spoon until it is solid enough to knead.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and kneed together to form a ball, careful not to over-knead the dough. The dough should remain somewhat shaggy looking. If you use a sheet pan, the more circular, the better, as the bread will spread out a bit while baking.

Transfer the dough to your sheet pan and use a large knife to cut an X into the dough about 1 inch deep.

Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. If you are using a cast-iron pan, it will most likely take 55 minutes as it takes longer to heat up than a baking sheet. The bread should sound hollow when tapped.
Remove to a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.