Random Image

"ME"

Owner: Magda K
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

September 16, 2021, 06:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Jun 16 2021 10:02pm
Beverly: We see you Carol! Join is in Norm's Bait and Tackle or The Soda Shoppe!

Jun 15 2021 12:02pm
Carol: Hello all!  I hope this brings me back .  ''Jenny - hugs to you and Bob.   Take care everyone!

Jun 15 2021 11:58am
Carol:  :)  Hello everyone~  I hope you see my greeting! 

Apr 28 2021 12:00pm
sunluvngal: Good morning everybody, wishing you all a happy day...Another beautiful day in Havasu! :)

Feb 24 2021 8:23pm
mycheal: Spring  thaw has arrived here :)

Feb 21 2021 3:49pm
Oldiesmann: Ours is finally melting.

Feb 20 2021 8:05am
so_P_bubble: 4 inches in Jerusalem!

Feb 13 2021 11:01am
Oldiesmann: Anyone else buried in snow? We got 8 inches here Monday into Tuesday, another half inch or so Wednesday and more is coming next week

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Skillet Chicken Thighs With Balsamic Glaze and Fresh Cherry Salsa

"File this cooking method under "Smartest Back-Pocket Chicken Recipes." Roasting the thighs in a hot oven means you can get evenly cooked, juicy meat and still have crispy skin on top, all without having to splatter your cooktop. While the chicken cooks, you'll make a quick, buttery balsamic glaze that balances the rich chicken and a tart cherry salsa. Speaking of the salsa, it's the kind of fresh take on a side that is as good a match for chicken as it is with white fish, steak, or even crispy tofu."

Hands-On:  20 mins Total: 45 mins Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, patted dry

1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided

1 ¼ teapoons kosher salt, divided

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 small shallots, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)

1 teaspoon honey

8 ounces fresh cherries, pitted and chopped (1 cups)

¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons bottled balsamic glaze

Directions
Step 1
Preheat oven to 400°F. Season chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon each pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Working in batches, add chicken to skillet, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer, skin side up, to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

Step 2
Meanwhile, mix shallots, lemon juice, honey, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes; stir in cherries, parsley, and thyme. Stir butter, balsamic glaze, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper in a separate small bowl.

Step 3
Serve chicken topped with balsamic glaze and cherry salsa.

patricia19

September 08, 2021, 03:13:11 PM #481 Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:15:56 PM by patricia19
Creamy Beef and Shells

Yield: 4 servings Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

8 ounces medium pasta shells
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups beef stock
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    6 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 1/2 cups

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Set aside.

Add onion to the skillet, and cook, frequently stirring, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.

Gradually whisk in beef stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, occasionally stirring, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 6-8 minutes.

Stir in pasta, beef, and heavy cream until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cheese until melted, about 2 minutes.

Serve immediately.

patricia19

Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix   

This mix makes a warm, sweet, intensely chocolate beverage with a hint of cinnamon and a spicy kick. If you prefer more heat, use a rounded ¼ teaspoon of cayenne. And for a richer treat, try using half and half instead of milk. The mix is great to have on hand all winter long and once a batch is made, it only takes a few minutes to make a cup or two.

We recommend dolloping each serving with homemade whipped cream or a large marshmallow. The mix also makes a fantastic gift. Try packing it in a pretty mason jar or empty jam jar tied with a ribbon. Don't forget to include the recipe!

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist

1 ½ cups granulated sugar
    1 cup all-natural unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Step 1

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months. To make 1 serving of Mexican Hot Cocoa, heat 1 cup whole milk in a small saucepan over medium just until hot and milk begins to steam, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 2 tablespoons cocoa mix. Serve immediately.

patricia19

Chocolate Chunk Hot Cocoa Mix

Ingredients

2 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup sugar
    8 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate

Directions

Step 1

In a bowl, combine the cocoa, sugar, and chocolate. Store in an airtight container.

Step 2

Keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
    Step 3

Include these instructions with your gift: "In a small saucepan, whisk ¼ cup cocoa mix with ¾ cup milk. Bring to a bare simmer. Serves 1."

patricia19

Hot Cocoa Ice Cream Soda

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cocoa mix
    ¾ cup, plus 1 tablespoon club soda
    2 scoops of ice cream
    sugar as needed

Directions

Step 1

Place the cocoa mix in a tall glass. Add 1 tablespoon of the club soda and stir until smooth. Pour in the rest of the soda. Taste and add sugar, if desired. Top with 2 scoops ice cream.

Amy

Patricia, all of these sound good, different from the ordinary way of making hot chocolate.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, I usually drink hot chocolate on frigid winter evenings, so I enjoy a variety.

I thought Kyle might like hot cocoa?

Amy

Yes, we both do..a warm drink at night and we do like a topping of whipped cream too please :))
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers