Random Image

Parade-7.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

October 26, 2021, 01:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Jun 16 2021 10:02pm
Beverly: We see you Carol! Join is in Norm's Bait and Tackle or The Soda Shoppe!

Jun 15 2021 12:02pm
Carol: Hello all!  I hope this brings me back .  ''Jenny - hugs to you and Bob.   Take care everyone!

Jun 15 2021 11:58am
Carol:  :)  Hello everyone~  I hope you see my greeting! 

Apr 28 2021 12:00pm
sunluvngal: Good morning everybody, wishing you all a happy day...Another beautiful day in Havasu! :)

Feb 24 2021 8:23pm
mycheal: Spring  thaw has arrived here :)

Feb 21 2021 3:49pm
Oldiesmann: Ours is finally melting.

Feb 20 2021 8:05am
so_P_bubble: 4 inches in Jerusalem!

Feb 13 2021 11:01am
Oldiesmann: Anyone else buried in snow? We got 8 inches here Monday into Tuesday, another half inch or so Wednesday and more is coming next week

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

This is in the instant pot cooking as I type..not a fan of kale so I used spinach..

Instant Pot Tuscan Sausage White Bean Soup
★★★★★

4.7 from 14 reviews

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
DESCRIPTION
Dried white beans are quickly pressure cooked and make an amazing soup with Italian sausage, carrots, tomatoes, kale and parmesan cheese. The flavor is unbelievably good! This soup is naturally gluten free.

INGREDIENTS
SCALE
1x
2x
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1 medium yellow onion, diced
8 cups chicken broth (see note)
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 pound dried Great Northern beans, sorted and rinsed (or 3 cans of Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
4 large kale leaves, washed and chopped (stems removed)
Parmesan cheese, for topping
INSTRUCTIONS
Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the Italian sausage and break it up (I use this tool*). Add in the onion. Stir every minute or so until sausage is browned. Pour in the broth and deglaze the pot.
Add in the carrots, beans, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and bay leaf.
Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 40 minutes (for beans that have not been soaked) or 20 minutes (for soaked beans) or 5 minutes (for canned beans).
When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the tomatoes and kale.
Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with a heaping tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
NOTES
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. An 8 quart pot would also work great with this recipe. You'll have to halve the recipe if using a mini Instant Pot.

This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! Just check the chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.

If you use the canned beans you won't need as much broth. 5 or 6 cups of broth will suffice.

Dried beans can't be cooked with acidic products like tomatoes or else they won't get soft. That is why the tomatoes are stirred in after the dried beans are cooked. If you're using canned beans you can stir the tomatoes in initially.

Dried beans vary in cooking times depending on how fresh they are. If your beans are older they may take longer to cook. I bought a fresh bag from the store and they still took 40 minutes to cook.

Soaking your beans for 8 hours in water will help with digestion and possibly give the beans a better texture.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, I've made a version of that soup (no kale!) for years after the first winter's cold spell. I used to leave it on the back of the stove all day before slow cookers. I haven't done so for years, and perhaps I'll try your instapot version modified for my slow cooker. Like Rick, I have a number in various sizes.

Amy

Patricia, I took a wee bit to taste and it is a keeper! We don't like kale either so the spinach was a nice touch. I also increased the garlic .
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Hmmm garlic sounds good and don't forget lots of freshly ground pepper!

Amy

Garlic and fresh ground pepper are a given here..lots of both.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Honey Garlic Chicken

Honey Garlic Chicken
This Honey Garlic Chicken is the perfect weeknight dinner! It's a 25-minute recipe made up of tender chicken cooked in a sweet, salty, gooey, sticky, and flavorful honey garlic sauce.
CourseMain Course
CuisineAmerican, canadian
Keywordhoney garlic chicken
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Total Time25 minutes
Servings4 servings
Calories412cal
Author Ashley Fehr

Ingredients
⅔ cup honey
¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more for more heat, optional)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly one pound)
¼ cup corn starch
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
Instructions
Whisk together sauce: honey, chicken broth, soy sauce, garlic, 1 tablespoon corn starch, vinegar, salt, and pepper flakes if using. Set aside.
Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice in half the long way, to form two thin chicken breast pieces (see video for clarification)
Place ¼ cup corn starch in a shallow dish and season lightly with salt and pepper. Lightly coat both sides of chicken in corn starch and shake off any excess. (You can skip this step, but it does give the chicken a nice crust)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, just until starting to brown. You may have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan. If there is much oil left, drain before continuing with the recipe.
Remove chicken from pan and add sauce, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any browned bits.
Add chicken back to the pan, stirring constantly until thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Check the largest pieces of chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure they are 165 degrees F.
Serve.
Nutrition
Serving: 177grams | Calories: 412cal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 510mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 42IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg

Jimmy Dean

Amy

This can be done in a slow cooker also!

Instant Pot Cowboy Soup

Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 4 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR) Yield: 6 servings

DESCRIPTION

A hearty, healthy soup with ground beef, chili beans and vegetables. Easy to make and delicious to eat. This soup tastes great served with fresh bread.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1 (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can chili beans
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
INSTRUCTIONS
Instant Pot Instructions:

Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease. Stir in the garlic salt and pepper.
Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
Add in the tomato paste, potatoes, frozen veggies, corn, tomatoes, chili beans, sugar and Worcestershire. Do not stir.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 4 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
Stir well. Taste test and salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Instructions:

Brown beef in a pan on the stove for about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease. Stir in the garlic salt and pepper. Add to the slow cooker.
Pour in the broth, tomato paste, potatoes, frozen veggies, corn, tomatoes, chili beans, sugar and Worcestershire. Stir.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
Stir well. Taste test and salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Instant pot panera bread chicken wild rice soup slow cooker instructions also.
Yield: 8 servings
Creamy chicken and rice soup that tastes better than Panera Bread! Make this soup in your Instant Pot at home for a fraction of what you'd spend at a restaurant! Plus you'll be surprised at how easy it is to make!

INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup diced onion
6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water + 2 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
2 medium carrots, cut into quarter inch rounds
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (6 oz) package Ben's Original Long Grain and Wild Rice
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
Kosher Salt
Freshly Cracked Pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Instant Pot Instructions:

Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the diced onions and saute for about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
Add in the carrots, celery, chicken and rice with the seasoning packet.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 10 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
In a large glass measuring cup add the half and half. Slowly whisk in flour a tablespoon at a time until smooth. Add in a cup of the hot broth into the mixture to temper the dairy. Add the whole mixture into the Instant Pot.
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting to let the soup thicken. Once thickened turn off Instant Pot.
While soup is thickening remove the chicken and chop or shred. Add it back into the pot.
Add a couple big pinches of kosher salt and as much freshly cracked pepper as you like.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Instructions:

Add the onions, carrots, celery, chicken, rice with the seasoning packet and broth into the Instant Pot.
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
In a large glass measuring cup add the half and half. Slowly whisk in flour a tablespoon at a time until smooth. Add in a cup of the hot broth into the mixture to temper the dairy. Add the whole mixture into the slow cooker. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken and chop or shred. Add it back into the slow cooker.
Add a couple big pinches of kosher salt and as much freshly cracked pepper as you like.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Very tasty recipes and not just for Instant pot as you can also do them in the crock pot/slow cooker.

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/25-american-instant-pot-recipes/

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Cucumbers In A Dressing.

Dressing - whisk together
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup real mayo
1/4 cup granulated sugar (can cut amount down)
1/4 cup white vinegar
Salt to taste
Dill to taste. (I use Litehouse brand dry freeze dill)

Pour over

3 to 5 Sliced cucumbers - mostly peeled & sliced 1/8"
Thin sliced onions to taste
Refrigerate 24 hours
Note: it's not successful to reuse dressing.

Jimmy Dean