Random Image

Fe in her Mexican Dress

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Patricia , might be able to do the pineapple recipe in the air fryer.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

I don't see why not-of course I've never used an air fryer. The recipe is easily modified.

Amy

Jane and I were just discussing recipes of pineapple dipped in sugar cinnamon but everything is better with bacon! ;)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

With a tiny dash of nutmeg!

Joanne, I'm sure most stores in your area carry French Press coffee makers of various types. I know that Amazon and other online retailers do.

patricia19

Instant Pot® Lasagna Soup

Cook once, eat all week

Total Time:  0:30 minutes Total Time Prep:   0:05 minutes Preparation Time

Cook:  0:25 minutes Cook Time    Serves: 6  people

Difficulty Level: Easy
The cooking time for this Instant Pot recipe produces noodles that are slightly al dente. For more tender noodles, boil the soup on the Sauté setting for a few minutes after releasing the pressure. If you like a little heat, sprinkle on a pinch of crushed red pepper.

Ingredients
Cooking spray
4spray(s)

Uncooked onion(s)
1cup(s), chopped

Garlic clove(s)
3medium clove(s), finely chopped

Cooked chicken sausage(s)
8oz, thinly sliced

Uncooked lasagna noodles
6oz, about 7 noodles, broken into pieces

No-salt-added chicken stock
4cup(s)

Jarred fat-free marinara sauce
2cup(s)

Kosher salt
1⁄2tsp

Black pepper
1⁄2tsp, plus more for garnish

Shredded parmesan cheese
6Tbsp

Instructions

Press Sauté on a 6-quart Instant Pot. When Hot is displayed, coat the bottom of the pot with cooking spray. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.

Add the sausage and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the pasta, stock, marinara, salt, black pepper, and 1 cup water.

Lock the lid, making sure the vent is closed. Press Pressure Cook and select High Pressure; set the cooking time for 3 minutes.

When the time is up, press Cancel to turn off the pot. Move the steam release valve to the Venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove the lid and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Serving size: 1½ cups soup and 1 tbsp cheese

Tomereader1

Save $11 today on this bestselling go-to guide!Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide: Reset Your Health, Detox Your Body, and Feel Your Best by Editors of Martha Stewart Living190 rave reviews!It's time to hit the reset button. This book emphasizes eating clean, whole, unprocessed foods as part of a primarily plant-based diet, with delicious and healthy recipes that make it easy to do just that. Refreshing juices and smoothies, savory snacks, protein-packed main dishes, and even delectable desserts will keep you satisfied...Today's Bargain Price: $2.99 Patricia, does this title look familiar?

patricia19

It sounds interesting, Joanne. I put in a sample request at Amazon and put it on my Book Ideas list. Thank you for thinking of me!

It does take some getting used to, and most of my favorite foods are no longer on offer. However, I've been on the diet with a few slip-ups since late summer. I've noticed better skin, hair, and nails, along with realizing I don't miss many of the foods I thought I would. For example, I've been craving a roast beef sandwich, but when I was at the store, the roast beef wasn't tempting. It seems that my cravings aren't really for the food but the past.

Many of the recipes I post here are past favorites or some recipe that reminds me of a previous discussion or a recipe someone else might like. I do, at times, post recipes that I use without listing my modifications.

Amy

Instant Pot Total Dude Casserole

A meat, potatoes and gravy casserole that all the men in your life will love.

INGREDIENTS

3 ½ cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup diced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 packet dried onion soup mix

1 (10.75 oz) can Campbells Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
¾ cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
INSTRUCTIONS
There are two methods to make this casserole.

Method 1 (more dishes, less cooking time):

Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place steamer basket into Instant Pot. Add the potatoes into the steamer basket. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes.
While potatoes are steaming, heat a pan over medium high heat. Brown the ground beef and the onion together for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and pepper. Stir the cream of mushroom soup and the evaporated milk in with the meat.
Once potatoes are done release the pressure. Add the potatoes into the bottom of a pan used for pot-in-pot cooking and sprinkle in the onion soup mix and then toss to coat the potatoes in the onion soup mix.
Pour the cream of mushroom soup/meat mixture over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the top with cheese.
Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot (there will still be water in there from steaming the potatoes but you'll need a bit more). Place the pot-in-pot pan on top of a trivet and lower the trivet into bottom of Instant Pot.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid and the pan.
Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
Method 2 (less dishes, more cooking time):

In a pan over medium-high heat or in your Instant Pot using the sauté setting brown the ground beef and the onion together for about 5 minutes. Drain off any grease. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and pepper. Stir the cream of mushroom soup and the evaporated milk in with the meat.
Add the potatoes to a pan used for pot-in-pot cooking. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the potatoes and toss the potatoes to coat. Spread them out so they aren't sticking right on top of each other.
Pour the cream of mushroom soup/meat mixture over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the top with cheese.
Cover the pan with foil. Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place the pot-in-pot pan on top of a trivet and lower the trivet into bottom of Instant Pot.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 40 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid, pan and foil.
Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
NOTES
Equipment used: 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*, OXO sling*, 3 quart liner* (I used this inside 6 quart liner on top of trivet for pot-in-pot cooking)

To make in the slow cooker or oven: Brown the ground beef and onions together. Drain excess grease. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl stir together the cream of mushroom soup and the evaporated milk. In your slow cooker or a 9×9 inch pan layer the potatoes, soup mixture and then meat. For slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. For oven, bake at 350 F for 75 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and let melt. Scoop onto plates and serve.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Tex-Mex Nacho Scramble

Total Time 15 min Prep 10 min Cook 5 min Serves 2

Swap in roasted sweet potato slices for the tortilla chips for a gluten-free burst of color, nutrients, and flavor. A side of sliced mango would add freshness and fiber to your breakfast.

Ingredients

Unsalted butter 1 tsp

Uncooked scallion(s) 2 medium, thinly sliced

Egg white(s) 4 large Egg(s)

2 large egg(s)

Chili powder

¼ tsp, chipotle

Table salt

⅛ tsp Reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese

¼ cup(s) Tortilla chips 10 chip(s)

salsa

¼ cup(s) Cilantro 2 Tbsp, chopped fresh or sub, parsley

Instructions

Melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 minutes.

Lightly beat egg whites, eggs, chipotle powder, and salt in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Divide tortilla chips evenly between 2 serving plates. Top evenly with egg mixture and salsa. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serving size: 1 plate

patricia19

Penne with homemade Bolognese sauce

Total Time 1 hr 40 min Prep 25 min Cook 1 hr 15 min Serves 4

This Italian sauce transforms a humble ground turkey or beef package into a flavorful, multipurpose sauce that's delicious over pasta, zucchini noodles, or even a baked potato. Onion, celery, and carrots are traditional, but we've added in pancetta for savory richness. The wine adds depth to the sauce without tasting like alcohol, but you can substitute low-sodium beef broth, if you like. The 45 minutes of simmering help tenderize the meat and meld all the flavors together. The results are worth the effort.

Ingredients

Pancetta 2 oz, diced

Olive oil ½ Tbsp

Uncooked onion(s) ½ medium, finely chopped

Uncooked carrot(s) ½ large, finely chopped

Uncooked celery 1 rib(s), large, finely chopped

Canned tomato paste ½ Tbsp

Uncooked 95% lean ground turkey or  ground beef ½ pound(s)

Table salt ¼ tsp

Ground red pepper 1 pinch(es)

Ground nutmeg 1 pinch(es)

White wine 6 Tbsp, dry variety

Canned crushed tomatoes 1 cup(s)

Evaporated milk 2 Tbsp

Yellow lentil penne 1 box(es)

Instructions

In a medium, heavy pot or Dutch oven, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp, stirring frequently, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.

Add oil to pot and then add vegetables; cook, stirring frequently, until pan is nearly dry and vegetables are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add beef, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add wine; simmer, stirring often, until wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and reserved pancetta; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a low simmer; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes (add a bit of hot water if necessary to keep meat and vegetables from sticking).

Stir in milk; simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with sauce.

Serving size: about 1 1/4 cup pasta and 1/2 cup sauce

patricia19

Here's an easy, family-friendly all-in-one diner on a sheet pan: a combination of chicken breasts seasoned with citrus and fresh herbs, hearty Yukon gold potatoes, and tender broccoli florets. Lemon slices arranged over the pan imbue the entire meal with a bright, sunny flavor. We heat the sheet pan in the oven as it preheats so that the potatoes go onto a hot surface; this helps give them a delicious crust. Toward the end of cooking, we brush a little soy sauce onto the chicken to achieve more savory depth and richer color.

Ingredients

Cooking spray 4 spray(s)

Uncooked Yukon gold potato(es) 1 1⁄4pound(s), cut into chunks

Olive oil 2Tbsp, divided

Kosher salt 1tsp, divided

Black pepper 3⁄4tsp, divided

4 Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)

Fresh parsley 2Tbsp, chopped

Rosemary 1Tbsp, chopped

Garlic powder 1⁄2tsp

Lemon(s), divided

Uncooked broccoli  florets 12oz

Low sodium soy sauce 1Tbsp

Instructions

Place a large sheet pan in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°F (leave the pan in the oven).

In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 1 tbsp oil, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and coat it with cooking spray.

Spread the potatoes onto the hot pan. Roast at 425°F for 15 minutes.

In another large bowl, combine the chicken, 1 tsp oil, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, parsley, rosemary, and garlic powder, tossing well to coat. Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from 1 lemon and toss with the chicken. Thinly slice the other lemon.

In the bowl used for the potatoes, combine the broccoli and the remaining 2 tsp oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. After the potatoes have been roasted for 15 minutes, carefully remove the pan from the oven. Add the broccoli to the pan and stir to combine with the potatoes.

Clear 4 spots on the pan for the chicken and add the chicken breasts to the pan. Scatter the lemon slices over the pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the chicken with the soy sauce; roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.

Serving size: 1 chicken breast and about 1½ cups vegetables

patricia19

Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy

Hamburger Steak with Country Gravy- tender, seasoned ground beef patties is pan-fried and covered with a creamy, country gravy. Such a hearty and economical meal. Cooks up in under 20 minutes.

How To Serve
Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and green peas and you have a plate of pure comfort food. It's a blue-plate special at home. This southern meal will get rave reviews.

How To Make Hamburger Steaks With Country Gravy
You'll start with 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and add 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of ketchup to ensure the finished steak is tender and moist. For seasoning, there's Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Form 6 patties and pan fry in a tablespoon of oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side. You'll use the grease in the pan to make a quick and easy country gravy by adding a little butter and flour and then whisking in 3 cups of milk. Season with a little salt and pepper plus garlic powder and onion powder and it's ready to be served.

Recipe Tips
This weeknight dinner can be made even quicker if you premix the ground beef mixture ahead of time.

If the gravy is too thick, add a little more milk.

Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the ground beef mixture or the gravy to spice this dish up some.

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil

Country Gravy

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour▢3 cups whole milk▢1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Shape into 6 patties.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When hot add the ground beef patties.
Cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Turn heat down to medium if they are browning too quickly.
Remove from pan and set aside.

You want about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pan. If you have more than that, pour the extra off. If you have less than 2 tablespoons, you'll use an extra tablespoon of butter to make up for it.

Add the butter to the skillet and melt it over medium heat. Add the flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer and add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Spoon gravy over hamburger steak to serve.

patricia19

Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef

Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef is pure comfort food. This easy Instant Pot dinner recipe is so creamy and cheesy. Pasta shells and ground beef are cooked in a tomato sauce and then Parmesan cheese, cream, and cream cheese get mixed in. Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef is a little like homemade Hamburger Helper, only much, much better.

To make Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef, first use the saute mode to cook a pound of lean ground beef and a chopped onion. Then add your flavors- dried Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes plus a tablespoon of tomato paste.

Once the ground beef is no longer pink, pour the uncooked pasta shells on top. Pour a jar of spaghetti sauce and 3 cups of water over the shells. Press the shells down into the liquid, but do not stir. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.

The pasta soaks up so much flavor cooking this way rather than just being boiled in water and then mixed into sauce.

After pressure cooking, do a manual release. Stir in 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of heavy cream, and 2 ounces of softened cream cheese.

This Instant Pot recipe is so easy and so delicious. Your family will be fighting over the leftovers.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (16-ounce) box medium pasta shells, uncooked
1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
3 cups water
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks and softened

Instructions

Add olive oil to the inner pot of an Instant Pot. Turn on "Saute" mode. Add onion and cook until starting to get soft.

Add ground beef and cook and crumble it with a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Turn Instant Pot off.

Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes and tomato paste and stir.

Pour shells on top of ground beef mixture.

Pour pasta sauce and water on top of shells. Do not stir, but press shells down into liquid with the back of a spoon.

Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is in "sealing" position. Set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.

Do a manual pressure release and when the pin drops, remove the lid. Stir in Parmesan cheese, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Serve.

patricia19

RAINBOW FRUIT SALAD

Arrange fruits on a platter to form a rainbow, drizzle with sweet and tangy honey-lime dressing and add a whoosh of Reddi-Wip to every serving for the perfect finishing touch

30 MINUTES PREP TIME 30 MINUTES TOTAL TIME 9 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon grated lime peel

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, optional

1 cup fresh raspberries

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

3 fresh mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented

1 medium mango, peeled and chopped

1 cup chopped fresh pineapple

1 cup halved seedless green grapes

3 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped

1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries

1-1/2 cups halved seedless red grapes

Reddi-wip® Original Dairy Whipped Topping

Directions

Whisk together lime zest, lime juice, honey and mint in small bowl. Arrange fruits to form a rainbow on a serving platter. Drizzle with dressing. Top servings with Reddi-wip.

patricia19

MINI TEX-MEX TURKEY MEATLOAVES

Ground turkey combined with flavorful tomatoes and taco seasoning bakes quickly in mini loaves for a fast weeknight meal

15 MINUTES PREP TIME 30 MINUTES TOTAL TIME 6 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray

1 pkg (20 oz each) lean ground turkey (93% lean)

1 egg

1/3 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs

1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained, liquid reserved

1-1/2 tablespoons (about 1/2 of 1.25-oz pkg) 30% less sodium taco seasoning mix

1/4 cup finely shredded Mexican blend cheese

DIRECTIONS

STEP ONE
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 regular muffin cups with cooking spray.

STEP TWO
Mix turkey, egg, bread crumbs, drained tomatoes plus 1/4 cup reserved liquid and taco seasoning in medium bowl. Form into 12 balls (1/4 cup each) and place in muffin cups. Top each with 1 teaspoon cheese.

STEP THREE
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through (170°F).

TIPS
An ice cream scoop works well for scooping balls of the meat mixture into the muffin cups.

patricia19

Bacon Potato Pancakes...Crispy potato pancakes with bacon and thyme.

Prep: 20 mins Cook: 25 mins Total: 45 mins Servings: 6

Ingredients

4 slices bacon

4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and shredded

¼ cup all-purpose flour

2 eggs

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

salt and ground black pepper to taste

vegetable oil for frying, or as needed

Directions

Step 1
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; let cool and crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.

Step 2
Combine crumbled bacon, potatoes, flour, eggs, garlic, thyme, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.

Step 3
Pour vegetable oil about 1/4-inch deep into skillet with bacon drippings and place over medium heat; heat until the oil and bacon drippings shimmer.

Step 4
Gently drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoon into hot oil and flatten potatoes into small patties about 3 inches in diameter. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side.

patricia19

Roasted Corn Chowder

Roasted fresh corn and potato chowder is hard to beat on a chilly day! For a twist, add just a few ounces of smoked salmon and have an incredible British Columbia-inspired smoked salmon corn chowder. Had this in a little cafe on a dock in Vancouver, BC while waiting for a sea plane to take me to the outer west coast of Vancouver Island for a late season salmon fishing trip. I spent several years playing around with it to recreate it. Don't know if I matched theirs exactly, but I have come up with this basic roasted corn chowder recipe that turns into a great smoked salmon chowder, too.  By Will Bullock

Prep: 30 mins Cook: 1 hr 25 mins Total: 1 hr 55 mins Servings: 8 Yield: 8 cups

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter, divided

3 cups fresh white corn kernels

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

1 pound bacon

1 large onion, chopped

3 cups chicken stock, or as needed

6 potatoes, diced

¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon dried celery flakes

½ teaspoon paprika

½ cup half-and-half

salt and ground black pepper to taste

¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or as needed (Optional)

Directions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Step 2
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat; stir in corn and tarragon and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to brown, about 5 minutes.

Step 3
Place skillet with corn in the preheated oven; roast, stirring every 5 minutes until lightly browned but not dry, about 20 minutes.

Step 4
Place bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook, turning occasionally until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon slices; drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.

Step 5
Heat reserved bacon fat in a Dutch oven over medium heat; stir in onion. Cook and stir until onion has softened and turned translucent about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook and stir until the onion is very tender and dark brown for about 15 minutes.

Step 6
Pour chicken stock over caramelized onions; stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to dissolve any browned bits, and bring to a boil. Stir corn, potatoes, parsley, garlic, celery, and paprika into onion mixture. Crumble bacon, reserving about 1/4 cup for garnish, and stir bacon into soup. Reduce heat to low; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.

Step 7
Stir remaining 2 tablespoons butter and half-and-half into soup; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle reserved bacon and Cheddar cheese over soup to serve.

Amy, I imagine that these last three recipes could be made via an Instapot?

patricia19

Garlic Butter Chicken Bites (15-Minute Recipe!)

Tender, juicy, bite-sized chicken breast pieces are pan seared until beautifully golden brown and coated in a rich garlic and butter sauce. Does dinner get any better?

This is my something out of nothing dinner. You likely already have all of the ingredients on hand to make these and those that you don't can be swapped for other flavors.

I keep chicken stocked in the freezer, garlic lasts for weeks and the parsley is one herb I use in almost anything.

This is also my super lazy dinner. You'll love the quick prep and super-fast cook time.

A foolproof chicken recipe everyone can enjoy!

Ingredients Needed for This Easy Chicken Bites Recipe

Boneless skinless chicken breasts: You'll need about 3 medium for this recipe.

All-purpose flour: in a pinch bread flour or even cake flour would work too.

Italian seasoning: Or just substitute 1/2 tsp dried basil 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp thyme.

Salt and pepper: I like to use a scant 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, but go with the amounts you prefer.

Olive oil: Just use standard refined olive oil not extra-virgin with a lower smoke point.

Butter: I like to use unsalted but salted will work fine.

Garlic: Only use fresh garlic here. It really is key to great flavor in this dish.

Fresh parsley: You can double this up for more herby flavor if preferred.

How to Make Garlic Butter Chicken Bites

Heat pan: Preheat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.

Dry chicken (for a better sear): Dab chicken on all sides dry with paper towels.

Toss chicken with flour and seasonings: Sprinkle over flour and Italian seasoning, and season with desired amount of salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat (all flour should stick to chicken and not be left behind on cutting board, keep tossing if needed).

Heat oil and 1 Tbsp butter in skillet: Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter to skillet, butter should melt quickly. Tilt pan to evenly coat.

Sear chicken: Add chicken in an even layer, work to leave some space between pieces so they'll brown rather than steam. Let cook until nicely golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes then flip to opposite side and cook 2 minutes longer, or until nearly cooked through.

Finish with butter, garlic and parsley: Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter in small pieces, garlic and parsley. Cook 1 minute longer.

Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes. If you prefer chicken thighs those will work here too. Just go with boneless skinless and trim away visible fat, then cook about 1 minute longer.

What to Serve with Garlic Butter Chicken Bites?
To keep that super fast dinner idea going I like to serve it with:

Lemon Couscous, Pasta: Again a lemony pasta would be good or parmesan pasta

No knead bread: Melt in a little extra butter for sopping up with the bread, yum!

Sautéed vegetables: -you can leave out the garlic so it's not overkill)

Or steamed vegetables (like asparagus, carrots, or broccoli)

The easiest 15 minute recipe that requires minimal prep and a few basic ingredients, yet it wows with flavor! A new weeknight dinner staple!

Servings: 3 (or 4 smaller servings)

Prep 9 minutes Cook 6 minutes Ready in: 15 minutes

Ingredients

1 1/4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (4 cloves)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley*

Instructions

Preheat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.

Dab chicken on all sides dry with paper towels.

Sprinkle flour, Italian seasoning, and desired amount of salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper) over chicken. Toss well to evenly coat (all flour should stick to chicken and not be left behind on cutting board, keep tossing if needed).

Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter to skillet, butter should melt quickly. Tilt pan to evenly coat.

Add chicken in an even layer, work to leave some space between pieces so they'll brown rather than steam.

Let cook until nicely golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes then flip to opposite side and cook 2 minutes longer, or until nearly cooked through.

Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter in small pieces, along with garlic and parsley. Cook 1 minute longer (chicken should be 165 in center and no longer be pink).

Serve right away.

Amy

My friend knows  fella that works on a garlic farm and she gets a 25lb bag and luckily she shares with me so I have a lot of fresh garlic on hand.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

You can grow it here and also kits indoors, but I didn't want to pay the farm shares price of $244 per month this year or find an inaccessible place away from Farrah. Instead, I purchase the cloves or jars with bits in extra virgin olive oil.

The shares price isn't high for what you receive, but it has the dirt and stalks included along with many different veggies. I didn't want to pay again this year.

Amy

Instant Pot Everything Soup (Slow cooker instructions at bottom of recipe.)

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR) Yield: 4-6 servings

An easy dump and go soup with lentils, vegetables, tomato sauce, corn and salsa. A random assortment of ingredients that creates a delicious vegetarian soup.

Ingredients

4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup brown lentils
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced onion
1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
1 bay leave
1 tsp black pepper
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup mild salsa
1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
Parsley, for garnish
Sour cream, for topping
Croutons, for topping
Instructions
Instant Pot Instructions:

Add broth, lentils, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, bay leave and pepper into Instant Pot.
Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
Stir in the tomato sauce, salsa and corn.
Ladle into bowls and top with parsley, sour cream and croutons.
Slow Cooker Instructions:

Add broth, lentils, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, bay leave and pepper into slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until lentils are tender.
Stir in the tomato sauce, salsa and corn.
Ladle into bowls and top with parsley, sour cream and croutons.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

That would make a good fish stew, Amy.

Amy

Spinach and Fresh Fruit Salad

Raspberry vinegar gives the basil vinaigrette dressing a fresh accent that brings out the best in both the spinach and fruit.
Recipe Ingredients:
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
2 cups red apple, thinly sliced
1 cup kiwifruit, thinly sliced
1 cup oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 cup strawberries, sliced
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Cooking Directions:
1. Combine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, basil, and salt in small bowl; whisk until blended. Combine spinach, apple, kiwifruit, oranges, and strawberries in large bowl.
2. Add dressing to salad; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

I'd ask for a bigger bowl of that salad next time, Amy!

Amy

Cowboy Chili Lasagna

Zesty Cowboy Chili Lasagna Recipe: This easy homemade lasagna combines the traditional Italian lasagna preparation with hearty American Cowboy Chili flavors! It's a fun twist on a beloved classic.

Preparation : 20
Cooking : 40
Total : 1 h 00

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
8 ounce Mexican chorizo
1 large red onion, (peeled and chopped)
1 large red bell pepper, (seeded and chopped)
4 cloves garlic, (minced)
30 ounce canned red kidney beans, (drained )
28 ounce crushed tomatoes
7 ounce chopped green chiles
1 tablespoon ground ancho chile (or chili powder)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
8 ounce no-boil lasagna noodles (9-12 noodles)
12 ounce cream cheese, (softened)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Recipe

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish. Then set a large saucepot on the stovetop over medium heat.

Add the ground beef and chorizo to the saucepot. Break the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Brown for several minutes, stirring to make sure the meat doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Then push the meat to the sides of the pot and add the chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften the vegetables.

Add the kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, ancho chile, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.

Meanwhile, determine whether you can fit 3 or 4 lasagna noodles in the pan in a single layer. Then either lay 9 or 12 lasagna noodles out on the countertop. (To make three layers.) Spread an equal amount of cream cheese over each dried lasagna noodle. 

Spread a small amount of chili over the bottom of the baking dish. Add 3-4 lasagna noodles, in a single layer, over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese over the noodles. Then add 2 large ladles of chili over the cheese and spread it out in an even layer.

Add a second layer of lasagna noodles with cream cheese, 1 1/3 cup shredded cheese, and chili in the same order as the first layer. On the final layer, add the lasagna noodles, all the remaining chili, then place the remaining 1 1/3 cups cheese on top of the chili.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the edges of the lasagna are bubbling, and the cheese is melted. Allow the lasagna to sit at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Nutrition

servingSize : 1 square
calories : 589 kcal
carbohydrate : 42 g
protein : 33 g
fat : 33 g
saturatedFat : 16 g
cholesterol : 98 mg
sodium : 794 mg
fiber : 8 g
sugar : 7 g

Jimmy Dean

Amy

Patricia, I have had something similar to that salad and it is delicious...and yes BIG bowl please.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Almond-Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

Total Time 45 min Prep 15 min Cook 20 min Serves 6

Place the muffins in a zip-close plastic bag. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature or on the defrost setting of the microwave.

Ingredients

Cooking spray 4 sprays

white whole wheat flour  ½ cup

Yellow cornmeal ¼ cup

Baking powder ½ tsp

Table salt  ¼ tsp

Low-fat buttermilk ¼ cup

2 large egg(s)

Canola oil 1 Tbsp

Orange zest 1½ tsp, grated

Unsweetened frozen blueberries ¼ cup, or fresh

Sugar 2 tsp, raw/turbinado

Sliced almonds 2 tsp

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners and spray liners with nonstick spray.

Stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

Whisk together buttermilk, granulated sugar, eggs, oil, and orange zest in a small bowl.

Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in blueberries.

Spoon batter into paper liners.

Sprinkle tops evenly with turbinado sugar and almonds.

Bake until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out with a few moist crumbs attached for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Serving size: 1 muffin

patricia19

This Jamaican Curry Shrimp is another quintessential, quick, and easy Jamaican recipe that's a staple on my dinner table. I dare you not to get hooked.

Ingredients:

1 lb jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
2.5 Tablespoons Jamaican curry powder separated
1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion sliced
1 medium red bell pepper sliced
1 medium green bell pepper sliced
1 scotch bonnet pepper seeds removed and sliced (optional)
3 cloves garlic chopped
13.5 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
½ Tablespoon ketchup
4 sprigs of thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Season shrimp with 1 Tablespoon of curry powder and all-purpose seasoning and set aside for about 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients like chopping your onions, peppers, and garlic.

Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced yellow onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, if using, and chopped garlic and stir for 5 minutes, until peppers are slightly softened.

Add 1.5 Tablespoons of curry powder to the skillet and stir for an additional minute.

Then add coconut milk, seasoned shrimp, ketchup, and thyme, making sure the shrimp is covered in the sauce.

Allow the sauce to come to a simmer and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally and flipping the shrimp halfway, until the shrimp is fully cooked on both sides. This should take about 5-6 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Notes:
This curry creates a rich and delicious sauce because I use a whole can of coconut milk. If you like your sauce a little thinner, sub half of the coconut milk with water. I use Blue Mountain Jamaican curry powder for this recipe. Make sure to keep the heat on medium to avoid scorching the sauce. If your sauce begins to scorch, turn your heat down to medium-low. This dish is deliciously served over white rice. If you're not a fan of spice, omit the scotch bonnet pepper.

patricia19

Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

From Insanely Good Recipes.com

Ingredients

Chicken Broth – The base of the soup.

Chicken Breast Halves – I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe because it's less hassle and has more flavor! The chicken can either be cubed or shredded.

Long-Grain Wild Rice Blend + Seasoning Packet – You'll need both the rice and the seasoning packet. Ben's Rice works wonderfully well here.

Ground Black Pepper – A little bit of spice goes a long way.

All-Purpose Flour – The thickening agent that makes the broth rich and creamy.

Butter – Besides being used to cook the vegetables in, the butter also creates the roux – a mixture that thickens soups and stews – together with the flour

Cup Carrot, Celery, Onion – Called mirepoix, this trio of vegetables is a wonderful flavor base to many soups, stews, and sauces.

Light Cream – For an extra creamy broth.

Tips and Tricks For the Best Soup

This recipe uses a roux, which is a mix of melted butter and flour, to make the soup creamy. You can also use a starch slurry by combining 1-2 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch with a bit of water and adding it to the pot of soup.

While you can use fresh chicken for this recipe, I prefer leftover rotisserie. It's a great way to use leftovers, plus its flavor gives the soup more character.

Try adding other meats, too, like shredded turkey, sliced ham, and bacon bits.

Be sure not to overcook the vegetables. You'll want them to be soft, but still a bit firm for texture.

For a lighter version, use light cream, half-light cream, or half milk instead of regular cream.

Season the soup with your choice of herbs, spices, and seasonings. Make it your own!

Aside from wild rice, regular rice and orzo pasta will work, too. Just adjust the cooking time depending on the type of grain you're using.

The soup is a complete meal on its own, but these side dishes make a great companion:

Biscuits, Crackers, or Dinner Rolls

Salad

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Serve the soup in a bread bowl!

Store leftover soup in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Alternative Ingredients

Gluten-free soup: use gluten-free flour and chicken stock.

Creamier soup: use heavy cream instead of light cream.

More heat: Add red pepper flakes or paprika.

Want a more yellow soup, just like Panera's? Add a dash of turmeric towards the end of cooking.

Can I Freeze the Soup?

Definitely. The beauty of this soup is that it freezes well.

If you want this copycat soup available to your whenever you're craving it, simply double the recipe and freeze leftovers for up to 3 to 4 months.

I like to place the soup in Ziploc bags. That way, I can lay them flat on the freezer and stack them on top of each other.

The night before serving it, thaw the soup in the fridge and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave the next day.

Alternatively, you can also place the sealed soup bag in warm water to defrost it much faster.

If the soup has thickened too much during reheating, gradually pour chicken broth, water, or milk and stir until you get your desired consistency.

Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Copycat Recipe)
Servings 6-8 servings Prep time 20 minutes Cooking time 40 minutes

INGREDIENTS

6 cups chicken broth

2 boneless chicken boneless breast halves, cooked and cubed

1 (6-ounce) package quick-cooking long-grain wild rice blend + seasoning packet

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup butter

1 cup carrot, diced

1 cup celery, diced

1 cup onion, diced

3 cups light cream

DIRECTIONS

Combine the pepper and flour. Set the mixture aside.

In a large pot over medium heat, combine the broth and chicken and bring it to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and remove it from heat.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the rice seasoning packet and cook further until the vegetables are softened, about 5 more minutes.

Add the pepper-flour mixture and stir constantly until a roux is formed. Continue to stir for 3-4 more minutes to cook the flour.

Gradually whisk in the cream until smooth. Cook it for 5 more minutes, or until it's thick.
Pour the cream broth into the pot of chicken and rice. Cook it over medium heat until the rice is ready, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve it and enjoy!

Alternative Method for Traditional Rice:

Cook the rice in the broth for 25 minutes over medium heat before combining it with the cream stock.

patricia19

Filet Mignon for Two with Sweet Potato Mash

A small quantity of compound butter, seasoned with garlic and herbs, makes a simple but delicious finish for a tender steak. We have rounded out this colorful healthy meal with roasted broccolini and mashed sweet potato--the perfect impressive yet easy dinner for date night-in.

Active: 40 mins Total: 40 mins Servings: 2

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter, slightly softened

½ teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary and/or chives

1 small sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

¼ cup low-fat milk

¾ teaspoon ground pepper, divided

½ teaspoon salt, divided

1 bunch broccolini, trimmed and halved lengthwise if large

4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

2 4-ounce filet mignon steaks, about 1 1/4 inches thick

Directions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Step 2
Combine butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl. Set aside.

Step 3
Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add sweet potato, cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add milk, 1 teaspoon of the herb butter, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency. Cover and keep warm.

Step 4
Toss broccolini with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Place the broccolini on one half of a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.

Step 5
Pat steaks dry with paper towel and season both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steaks, turning once, until browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the broccolini from the oven and stir.

Place the seared steaks on the empty half of the baking sheet. Return to the oven and roast until the broccolini has softened and the steaks are cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer each steak to a plate and top each one with 1 teaspoon of the herb butter. Serve with the broccolini and mashed sweet potato.