Random Image

President's Day

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for March 15, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, March 15, 2020, 02:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

I'm a bit late checking out tonight mostly because I fell asleep on the couch and was out of it for about 2 hours.  All this "house" work is wearing me out. 

I read every post and loved it all...especially the one about the little boy going home!  I just really cherish the contacts in here.  It's almost like having you all come over for coffee or tea and brownie and little chat.  I'm sorry to hear about Robby but he lived a long and productive life.  He made a difference in lots of lives along the way.  Thanks, Phyllis, for posting the link to his "Tribute".

Now I HAVE to get to bed.  Tomorrow is another day.  The guys finished up all the floors that are visible to anyone who comes in the house but the bedrooms and bathrooms have to wait.  They have been ordered to cease and desist as of midnight tomorrow night.  The last thing he said as they were leaving was that they would be back as soon as they could and if I heard someone outside my windows I shouldn't worry  The were taking all the bad screens with them and would work on them at home.  When they're fixed, they'll come back and put them back on the windows.  They don't have to come in for that. These are really NICE guys!

And now, I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow. And may God bless us, every one.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Gloria

Good morning everyone, a chilly windy one again. The cases of this virus are going up every time I hear the news. No gathering in the lobby lately and it looks like most only come out of their apartments to get mail or do laundry. I did get outside a bit yesterday, when my CNA left I walked her to her car and walked aroung the parking lot a couple of times. I wish t hey would tell us what part of this state have the cases of the virus. The governor keeps telling everyone to stay home and not go out. The shelves in markets are almost bare and trucks are slow getting here so the stores get supplies. This state put a tax on trucks entering the state. Many now just go around the state rather than pay the tax. Wonder if this time will be remembered as the TP hoarding. One thing I did yesterday was cancel all my appointments. Think it is better to stay home than get into a doctors office where many sick folks go. Don't want to have my teeth cleaned right now either.

JUNEE  so far they have not stopped anyone coming into this building. I don't know what I would do if they stopped the CNAs and other helpers from coming in.

SHIRLEY  I had an old album of my Mom's. I mean OLD. The covers were wood and the front one had a design on it. Was 4  inches thick. All old family members that  she remembered but no names. All were pasted on the pages. Another thing from my family my ex threw away because he said it was taking up too much room and I knew none of them. I have a niece who would love to have that  album, she has been wworking on family ancestry for quite a few years. Her Mom's family and her dad's (my brother) family.

Think it is time for my second mug of coffee.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend! I slept better last night than I have in a month of sundays!  Even after about 2 hours on the couch, I slept soundly in bed.  I feel rested and ready for whatever happens today. 

I think I'll continue to work on the closet in my office.  I took a whole bag of stuff to the dumpster yesterday and I bet I get another bag today. 

Right now, Mickie and I are waiting for the boinger and breakfast.  After that, who knows?  We're just going to spend the day as we feel like spending it.

I wish you all a happy, healthy day!  Make it your own in every way!  And, please, share it with us.  It's lonely in this house!

Amy

5c865594-f5b1-45b1-91ac-6b5f44ace852.jpg

Good morning everyone..

Rain and wind have stopped and the temp is +3° F at the moment. Suppose to be a nice sunny day so out will go the laundry on the line.

Gloria, the cases here are also going up . What makes me annoyed is snow birds coming back and not self isolating. Now a cashier in a drug store is now in self isolation all because a woman wanted face cream!!

Shirley, I have a huge box of photos that need names and dates on.....names I am ok with but dates??? Some do have the year already printed on them from the development process.

Better get at the laundry, it won't do it itself..

Enjoy your day everyone and stay well.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

so_P_bubble

Thank you Junee and Phyllis re Robby. I also met him when I visited NC in 2005. He was the most interesting person I ever met.
In SN he was leader of the The Story of Civilization, by Will and Ariel Durant.

In Israel too we are confined to home and no going out except for groceries and medicines. Computer and cyber friends is a great help in this ghost town.

phyllis

Pretty quiet here this morning.  David will pick up, at curbside, the grocery order around noon today.  He woke up yesterday with pain from recent dental work so he is now on an antibiotic and has to go for a dentist follow-up on Tuesday.  I wish he didn't have to be out but it seems to be necessary.  We aren't on "lock down" yet but everyone is pretty much staying at home and most places are closed or limiting openings.

I have finished the taxes but since they have delayed the filing date I haven't e-filed them yet. I want to check them over one more time.

I downloaded several more books from the library yesterday and the streaming channels are all still working so we are set in case they do go to "shelter in place".

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

good morning everyone. it is 28º and sunny suposed to get to 46º for high today.
Have a great day just as you like it. see you all later.

Lloyd

JaneS

Where is everyfriend!  Nobody's been in here all day!  I unplugged the coffee pot because it was boiling dry!  And all those cookies and cupcakes dried up!

I have two more empty boxes and another bag for the dumpster.  I also have 2 more boxes of books for the library sale and another box for goodwill....if they ever open up again! 

I'm going out and get some supper.  Mickie says she's hungry and I'm getting there myself.  I'll try to check back and see if anyone is prowling around in here.

Shirley

My daughter got me connected with Facebook since "all the cousins" decided to have a special folder just for the family to exchange photos. So fun to see some of the nieces & nephews GRAND children after it being so many years since I saw those gr-parents. I am surprised how many of their grands can be identified by how much they look like their elders!!  Certainly is entertaining, but I am ready for some social life, even going to the store (which I will not).

I can't imagine not getting up early in the morning to be at church around 7:00 am... I will obey since they canceled all Masses! First time in my life to have this happen, is this really the first time to have anything to be so contagious? At least some of the political sniping has quit, not all, but the news media has something else to chew on. I may have to go get the last box of Russell Stover turtles out of the frig downstairs. That always makes me smile.  :thumbup:

Carol, if you are heading back to CO I just looked at Monarch Pass view cam... can't see anything but white out, can't tell if snow, fog or what. Hope you are not taking that route!

Stay healthy, everyone. I had a couple glasses of V8, some beans with ham and applesauce, then a Twinkie. May take getting those Turtles out of the frig to smile.

Joy

Good evening.  A quick  visit.  Amy,  I do have a medical alert pendant at home.  Had another good walk today.  Eating for the nurse to come In and fix my bed.  She knows exactly like I like my pillows fixed and she is just so nice.   I sleep so good here.  Usually don't wake up all night.  I am sure many Will miss going to church.  Sure hope things will begin  improving soon.  I am starting to get very "antsy" .  Have a peaceful Sunday.  Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

Should be WAITING. NOT EATiNG. For nurse. Lol
BIG BOX

JaneS

Well, a few people drifted in!  I'm going to bid you all goodnight because I'm really tired and ready for bed.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow. And may God bless us, every one!

Denver

JANE, I am sorry I did not get in here before you turned off the lights and headed off to bed!  I hope you have another night of great sleep...You have been mighty busy this week so no wonder you are so tired and sleeping well.

SHIRLEY, I am happy that you have joined Face Book so you can have contact with your family.  Carol and Don will be driving on the Interstate's I am quite sure.....but I would not be surprised if they didn't go through some weather.  Hopefully they are home here in Highlands Ranch tonight🙏  There are going to be many folks that are going to feel very strange because of not being able to go to church.

Our family all continues to be safely sheltered at home.  We Face Timed with two of the families today and it sure was nice to be in touch! 

Sadly, we lost one of our big and beautiful Pine Trees today between our neighbors home and ours.  It uprooted itself due to shallow roots and the heavy snow on the limbs.  We had nearly 10" of rain and snow and the limbs were really heavy ladened. We are going to really miss this tree😩😢

I a: headed off to bed.....sleep well EVERYFRIEND 💕

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

well looks like I will have to say good morning this time. I fell asleep on the couch when watching TV. woke up and came over here to bid you all good night and see where  Denver had already closed up shop and I had missed the end of the day; Oh well hope you all are sleeping good and I will see you all after while .I took my shot and am going to the real bed good rest of the sleep time.

Lloyd

so_P_bubble

Gloria

Good morning everyone, now that spring is really here on the calander we are getting cold temperatures. 24 now and looks like it will not get much into the 30's later. My son did make his Saturday visit yesterday but did not stay long and didn't get close to me, not even a hug-just in case- because he had been out where oters were. Still have not seen my oldest son since they came back from their cruise.

JANE  makes for a good day when we get a goo sleep at night. I am tired of waking between 3 and  every morning lately, no matter what  time I go to bed.

AMY  some folks think the world exhists just for them and they don't think they what they might be doing to others.

BUBBLE  when I look out at the parking lot I notice very few cars have been moved. Looks like every one is staying in their apartments. Even the witch has been in just in the morning and leaves supposedly to work from home. Her side kick only works 3 days a week and is here 3 mornings. The only one in the building all day is the maintenance man but he also lives here, too.

PHYLLIS  we are in the sheltering in place unless really have to go out. Glad so far that the CNAs and housekeepers still can do their jobs.ch and am thankful Yvette can come  5 days a week.

LLOYD  still dark here so do not know if the sun will shine later or not.

SHIRLEY  now those Turtles would make me smile, too. They would make my mouth water too. With no bottom teeth I cannot bite into a nut so pass them by, boo hoo,  :(

BUBBLE  thanks for the link to Shirley's Jonquils.

SHIRLEY  I like those little ones, They sure are smalll compared to the big one.

That little cutie I have no idea who.

Have a good day and stay safe.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I've reached a conclusion and it's greatly relieved the stress in my life.  I've concluded that God knows what in my life will bring me before Him so I'm not going to worry if it's the Coronavirus or something else.  PERIOD!

SHIRLEY, your flowers are really Springlike.  My grandmother always called them "Johnny Jump Ups" I guess because when they bloom, they seem to jump out of the ground.  I have some of the blooming in my yard too.  I didn't plant any where they are blooming so I guess they are what my Dad always referred to as "volunteers" although I think he was mostly referring to weeds when he used that term.  However, it seems to fit for anything that grows where we didn't plant it.

I checked out the little ballerina!  She's looks like she's ready for her recital, don't you think?

GLORIA, I bet your place is very quiet these days, with everyone keeping to their quarters.  Nice that you son still stops by.  My daughter picked up a couple things for me when she went to the store yesterday and when she got here, she wouldn't even let me have the bag.  She took everything out of it and put it where it belongd and then took the bag with her when she left.

When they rolled up the braided rug under my dining room table, it had a place where the braids were separated.  I checked on line for people who fix them and the closest place is 50 miles away.  I think I'm going to make a quick trip to WM to see if they have some large eye needles and some heavy thread and try to fix it myself before it gets worse.  I bet I won't even meet anyone there.

There goes the boinger!  It's time to feed Mickie and have my own breakfast and then she'll tell me it's time to take a walk so I better get moving.  I wish you all a happy, healthy day. Make it your own in every way!  And scoot in here to share it with all your interested friends!

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Beautiful sunny day here, tad chilly +3°F but will warm up as the day goes.

Yesterday must have been a day for cleaning for not just Jane, I was cleaning closets along with laundry .Just talked with son and he also was cleaning file cabinets .

A day of rest here but I do think some oatmeal cookies will be made.

Jane, if you can't find heavy thread, what about using fishing line? You can buy a package of needles at the Dollar store that has a curved needle in it.

Gloria, I have no idea of why some people think the world revolves just around them. Now the cashier, who depended on the job is not getting a pay check. All one can do is hope the company does pay her while she is in isolation.

Jenny, hope your Dad is doing alright.

Lloyd, take it easy .

I slept in so had better move it!

Thought for all.

We are always in Gods church, no matter where we are. No matter where or what time prayers can always be offered up. We are heard. The choir, birds singing, rain falling, babbling brooks and just sheer silence in the back ground.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

David picked up the groceries at curbside yesterday.  The picker had to make only four substitutions/removals but I wasn't surprised except for no eggs.  I was a little surprised at that but I still have a few in the fridge so no big problem.  I will try again later in the week.

The weather turned cooler overnight and we had a little rain.  That helped knock some of the pollen down.  We've got a lot of the yellow stuff this year.  Everything is coated with it.  Thank goodness, it only lasts about 2 weeks.

I did a little cleaning yesterday, too.  Just some vacuuming but no big closet clean-out.  Oatmeal cookies sound so good.  I wonder if I can tackle that.  It is mixing up the stiff dough that is kind of hard for me.  Maybe I'll try anyway since I forgot to put cookies on the grocery list and David is getting low.   :o 

It sounds as though all of you are coping well.  Take care and stay well.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Shirley

I immediately thought of my curved carpet needle, Amy, had it so long I don't recall where I bought it. I also have the heavy duty extra long and another slightly fatter heavy duty with big eyes so maybe they all came in a package. I usually have a spool of the heavy duty carpet thread on hand and find lots of uses for it.

Good luck, Jane, you can do it! My mother-in=law called the violet type different colors "Johnny Jump Ups"... because the seeds pop off & spread everywhere. I am all for anything that grows on it's own. I did plant some giant morning glories along the sidewalk one year, nothing came up. The next year some came up at the corner of the driveway and years after that I have them growing on the end of the garage. Nothing grows where it is planted. I did not grow my mother's green thumb.

Gloria, I am still sad about the album of photos your ex threw away. How awful for all the descendents of those people. We have had the best surprise from a distant cousin we met at a family reunion. My gr-father's brother's grandson had photos he wasn't sure about but mailed scans of them to my brother. Turned out to be our mother, her sisters and the little sister that died when she was 3 or 4, and nobody ever had a photo of her. No question when I sharpened the photo and could see detail better, the girls were dressed alike and I remembered Mother telling about "the dressmaker stayed with them for weeks to make all the girls matching dresses". I e-mailed copies to everyone that had e-mail and am sure all those little girls in Heaven rejoiced to have their baby sister finally recognized. Maybe you have a way to reach out to the younger generation of your cousins to see if they have old photos they don't recognize. Good luck with helping the family gather data.

Phyllis, oatmeal cookies sound good to me, too. I think I have enough eggs for a week but I use quite a few hard boiled in meat spread & beakfast, haven't done much baking lately.

Amy, I do feel the same about being in God's church when outdoors. The birds are so busy building nests right now, and one robin makes a point of coming to talk to me when ever I am out. It is drizzling here this morning, but when I opened the door to let cats out & back in a little later, the birds were singing their little hearts out. Now & then I hear a difference voice and know it is one migrating and separated from the flock. 

Happy thoughts and memories as we share this new world of isolation. Phyllis, I'm not sure what kinds of trees have the yellow pollen on, thought evergreens, pines. But something along our street leaves big patches of the yellow stuff on the street and we haven't had any pine trees for a number of years. I do have a huge evergreen shrub that billows yellow if touched. We never had evergreens growing up and after thinking about it, I realize my father never had them in a yard all his life! He grew trees like most people grow flowers, but never evergreens, even pine. He did always go cut down a cedar for our Christmas tree, had to be perfect. He had friends that owned farms and they always "owed him" for fixing motors or whatever they couldn't fix, so invited him to hunt their land. At the same time he would look for a Christmas tree for when the time came. As the oldest of his siblings, I guess he probably did it for them. His father had serious allergy problems so not an outdoors type.  The mind wanders.....

Amy

Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Amy, can you provide a link to the site where you get those cute t.p. jokes you're putting in Jokes and Humor?  My #2 son would love them.

The newspaper bag wasn't tucked in this morning so I had to dry the pages on a rack and then act like an "English butler" and iron the wrinkles out.

Put some ham steaks in the slow cooker,enjoyed a long phone chat with a local friend and now it's time to find some lunch.  Granddaughter brought 5 cans of tomato bisque soup in my grocery stash.  As Miss Ellen said about discovering e-books on loan from the NYC library....."Oh, yeah!  I'm in heaven!"  :)

Only struggle I'm having is keeping my mood from being as gloomy as the weather.  Wish the sun would shine for longer than 15 minutes.  :(

TTYL

Gloria

Good morning everyone, a chilly 28 now. Just heard forecast and we have snow in the forecast for tonight. Happy spring? Crazy world we are living in now. Don't think we are liking it much either.

JANE  you are right, no one is being social here now. Only a few cars are moving in the parking lot but they aren't gone for long.

AMY  glad it isn't as cold as where you live. I get cold so easy now I always dress in layers now and have a sweatshirt on top. Could be because I cannot move fast enough to warm up? Yum home made oatmeal cookies. My CNA told me there is no oatmeal on the shelves in the markets here now. Glad I do have a couple of the big containers of it. She does make sure I run out of anything.

PHYLLIS  when my 3 were young I used to make a double batch of oatmeal cookies every week and some different coo‪kies, too.

SHIRLEY  my family is spread out all over the country that I have no idea where they are anymore. I had one sister who kept in touch with everyone but when she went home to our Father  no one ever continued. Only one I am in touch with is a niece who lives in NJ, the one into the ancestery.

BUBBLE  thanks for the links to photos.

Goodness we are asked not to get too close to others and keep a 5 foot distance from others but I did not know it meant for we who converse online here to stay away, too.

Have a good day and keep safe.

Amy

03a524a8-c5f1-44d4-b36e-adead2569ab1.jpg

Good morning everyone.
We had a light dusting of snow overnight and it looks like it could keep it up .

Did make cookies and blueberry bran muffins yesterday ,now we have something to nibble on.

More cleaning to do today and I just may get some sewing in.

Mary Ann ,what a lovely photo of Johanna, just love all those curls!!

Bubble, thank you for posting the photo.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Gloria, good morning to you. I don't mind the house being around 80 in the winter but 80° in summer is way too hot for me so on goes the CA.
Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  We were supposed to have some snow overnight but if we got it, it didn't lay very long.  It's a bit wet out there but not enough for it to have been snowing since midnight.  It's saying we could still have some up until noon and then rain thereafter.

Well, I hit a snag with my cleaning out.  They've temporarily removed the bid for donations to the pet rescue place, Goodwill is closed and the library is temporarily not accepting books for their sale this summer!  The back seat of my car is full and the top of the washer and dryer is loaded...all with nowhere to go!  It sure put a snag in my will to clean out.  And I just ran out of milk!

I'm putting some chicken in the crockpot this morning.  In my first layer of cleaning out, I found a recipe that I used to use all the time and I have everything I need to make it so....

I also found a recipe for "Impossible Custard Pie" that makes it's own crust as it bakes.  You put everything in a blender including flour and then pour it into a pie plate and the flour makes the crust as it bakes.  It turned out pretty good so I have dessert and I put some in the hidey hole just in case there's someone there who likes coconut custard pie.

I hope you are all having a happy, healthy day!  Make it your own in every way.  And don't forget to share it with you interested friends!

JaneS

OOPS!  Looks like I missed a couple people while I was posting.  Good Morning to you, AMY and GLORIA!

Amy

Jimmy Dean