Random Image

Catfish

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for April 1,2020

Started by so_P_bubble, April 01, 2020, 12:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I've been up since 4:00 something, fed cats, fed me and been waiting for Tom to come back in so I can go back to bed for a couple hours. It is getting light & he usually shows up before very light. I have things to do today so need to get my sleep in & be ready to roll earlier than some of my lazy days. No matter how tired we are of hearing about "the virus", it has changed our lives completely.

Gloria, hope you get this super warm few days....will be hard to stay inside with about 80 and knowing at least a 20-30 degree drop come Thursday through the week end. I may be griping about the heat by the end of day Wed.... never satisfied!  :-[

Thanks for the news from Tom, Bubble, I hope he can find someone with a big heart to care for her, she deserves the best.

Carol.... tsk, tsk, "forgot" that extra order.  ;)  ;D

This is orange season, so "they" tell me at the store. I made fruit ice last week & still enjoying pulling the tub out of the freezer & munching every day. My mother always said to squeeze the same number of oranges as you mash bananas.... put enough sugar in the juice (& pulp) to soak up the juice. This time the oranges were super juicy and sweet so did not use quite as much sugar. I did put in an extra banana because the oranges were so juicy. Have to add water, as much as you want to thin the fruit... and stir as it freezes so fruit doesn't sink or float (can't remember which)... it is SO refreshing. I didn't have much room in my frig/freezer so used a medium size Tupperware square. Can't tell you how good it tastes to just pull out the tub & eat from since nobody is coming to share!  Wishing all a healthy & happy Monday... or as Callie would say, "Merry Monday!"

Here's Tom, I can go back to bed in peace!

And look who all showed up when I tried to post!! Good morning, girls. Wish everyone would quit talking about fresh bread, I could live on bread. Have not baked it for at least a couple years & so now probably couldn't find yeast here, as well. Will put it on my list for "next time shopping". I have at least 4 cans of cinnamon... one of those things I knew I needed but kept forgetting that I already bought. duh...

Lloyd Hammond

Shirley use AMY'S soda bread recipe and you do not need yeast, It is good to not so sweet as regular bread,and i bet is healthier for you also. and i bet AMY wont fuss about you using it. Have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

Carol

Amy:  I cannot find the post of your non-yeast bread.  I am going to search google - should have though of this a long time ago. 

Major problems with internet here - Don thinks an evil computer virus is happening.  Yikes. 

CallieOK

Merry Monday, Everyfriend,

Sunshine didn't last long.  :(  Back to dreary gray skies this morning.  I surely did enjoy a short stroll (with my rollator) to the end of the street and some patio time yesterday afternoon.  Am hoping to start walking to the mailbox when/if the sun decides to stick around.

I've sent a grocery list to #2 son, who is the one that told me not to go out because I was "under orders from the governor"  ;D    At least, this way, I'll get a glimpse of him - although he stays clear across the room from me.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable safe day.
 :cheers:

Amy

Carol, here you go..I put it over in homemaking , food etc but I don't think anyone would mind if I posted it here for you.
Ed O'Shea's Irish Soda Bread

4  Cups of Flour
1  tsp baking soda
1  tsp baking powder
¼ lb butter (softened)
½ Cup sugar
1 ½ Cups raisins
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ tsp salt

Mix all dry ingredients together, add raisins.
Work in butter.
Add buttermilk gradually until mass is pliable, but not soggy.
Knead on floured board.
Coat large fry pan or cake pan or pie pan with margarine and flour.
Shape mass into pan and cut cross on top.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Joy

Nice to see all the friend's messages today.  It has been a very slow morning for me.  I am still trying to wake up. I am not a morning person, and it just takes me forever to feel "human".   I did eat a little something so I could take my neds.   

All the talk about homemade bread is making me so jealous. I have never made any homemade bread before. Just have never had much luck with making anything with yeast.   Yesterday, on QVC, the showed a small bread maker that did everything.  Mixed it, kneaded it and even baked it.  And, I was so tempted to order one. and it wasn't expensive.  I might go look it up, except I wouldn't get it at the sale price or with the free shipping. 

Amy, it brought tears to my eyes, also, reading about the meeting up with your neighbor.  Sounds like she was a very special lady.  Such a bad time for a death in the family, with everything that is happening. 

Jane, sorry you are still having a lot of pain. Just take it slow.

I hope everyone will have a nice afternoon.

Joy

BIG BOX

Carol

Thank you, Amy!  I intend to either buy some buttermilk or put a little vinegar in milk to sour it. 

I have been on the phone to several stores.  No yeast.  The delivery comes in every week and someone buys all 14 packages that have 3 individual packs in each package - why does the store not put a little limit.  Sad to see there is such a rush and grabbing attitude.  Now, I need to buy bread flour.  All I have is whole wheat flour for machine bread. 

Yes, we had an overload at the Walmart.  I hide my face - and have given some to our neighbors or family.

We are under orders to only go to get food, gasoline, work, and we do see clear sky.  How nice to see the snow topped mountains crisp and clear.  Most buildings are closed however some people are considered essential.  Two of our children are essential.  The other two can work out of their homes - same for grandchildren.  We are concerned over their job hunting. 

Shirley

I also copied the recipe.... and will tell you that raisins do not go into my bread! Seriously, I have picked them out of bread, rolls, cookies & cake all of my life and will be a thrill to know THIS time, they didn't go in! I wonder, if, like with biscuits, I can substitute regular milk with a tablespoon of vinegar per cup, for the buttermilk. My husband loved buttermilk but was used to his mother's REAL buttermilk. She had a farmer she could buy whole milk from, would churn her own butter & they both loved the buttermilk. He was not as fond of the grocery store kind and I usually bought it only when making a German chocolate cake from scratch. Anyway, this looks good & have plenty of flour, even self rising flour for biscuits, and a whole gallon of milk. Only thing to keep me from fresh bread is that ornery person lurking in my body called LAZY!  That is, if you real cooks can tell me if my vinegar/milk will work for bread as well as biscuits....  ???  :-\

Callie, that wind is cranked up to sail a boat across the Flint Hills. Howling but fairly warm. So irritating.... can I scream? 

Amy

Shirley, yes you can use milk and vinegar I have even used lemon juice too. Just let it sit to sour.. I know a lad.well he is in his 80's now, wouldn't eat biscuits with raisins but he would eat raisin pie ::)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Jane, David's favourite pie is raisin pie.....
You have email :)
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Amy & Jane, I'm guessing you both had dogs long ago that got those big fat ticks on them, yes? We had to pull them off (well, really my brothers) and I thought they were ghastly.... So when my youngest brother would tease me at Grandma's house, because she had her special prune cake sitting on the pedestal on her hutch, it haunted me the whole time. We were not allowed to say we didn't like something or even "no, thank you, I don't care for any".... we had to accept a small piece and get it down with a smile. Brother, Hal, told me the raisins in the cake were ticks, now I knew they weren't but my imagination saw ticks, big fat ones in that cake. You'd think by 85 I would be over it, but it comes to mind when ever I see a raisin in anything. I can eat them out of the box and know they are good for us, BUT... My uncle that lived with Grandma always had at least one hunting/bird dog with slick fur, and they always had ticks on them so it was never far from my mind.

Anyway, thanks for the okay on using vinegar, Amy. Did I answer your e-mail?  Been a crazy week around here.

Jane, how's the injury doing? Any less pain or move movement?  Will take some serious work to limber that puppy up when all over! I don't think anyone ever offered to eat my raisins before, that was really sweet of you.......

Lloyd Hammond

Good  evening everyone. well we copied AMY's recipe of the soda bread. but we had no butter milk, so Nancy  just used the milk we had on Hand and it was store bought and was just 1% , It tastes good to us. May be a little dryer than store bough dread. But ten seconds in the microwave oven is as soft and nice as ever.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

well I am back for a short note. I have it paused on YouTube  a documentary about things to safely eat and drink from Nature in the wield. one thing I just watched was. dandle roots you dig them up cut the top's and the little hair and tip's off them.and chop them up in little bits and put them in a skillet and shake them around like you were popping popcorn, until they are black like charcoal, then put them in a little tea strainer and pour hot water over them and sweeten to taste cool and drink .is good for tummy aces and such. lot of good tips on that subject. may be worth a little research.
good night and sweet dreams

Lloyd

Denver

Good evening.

SHIRLEY, I purchased some Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day from our Sprouts and found it to be lemon and blueberry.....have never seen that before, but it was delicious.  I am another person that is not fond of raisins.  I like raisins on their own, just not IN things!  I much prefer cranberries.

AMY, I am afraid Raisin Pie might be a bit too "raisin-e" for me!  They are much too sweet! 

GLORIA, I know you had to be so pleased your DIL came to cut your hair. I could not stand mine anymore so took the scissors to it over the weekend.  To be honest it is not too bad....just hard to do much to the back.  IF only I could set my head off🤣🤣

JANE, you can have ALL of my raisins!  Do hope you are learning how to deal with your broken shoulder.  I am sure happy it is not your dominant arm! 

I did not see any post from Tom Tock on Facebook.....I am feeling sad for Mary Ann.

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JaneS

IM UP AND MOVING THI MORNING. I EVEV HAVE LISTS OF THINGS I WANT TO DO TODAY,

sorry about the caps. the lock was on and I didn't notice. I didn't mean to yell at you so early in the morning.

JENNY, my arm is feeling better each day and I have a tip for all of you with pains that you can touch. buy a tube of Arnica Gel and keep it on hand. its all natural so it cant hurt you and its immediate relif for anything that hurts on your body.

we're waiting for the boinger and I have to get me daytime pants on so iwish you all a happy, healthy day. make it your own in every way.

JaneS

forgot to say that WM now carries Arnica Gel.

rutumi

Good morning from Oslo, Norway. The sun is shining brightly, though it IS cold outside. My son told me to keep myself in the house; he will shop for me (and my best friends, if necessary). Easter is coming up, meaning the stores that are still open will shut on Wed. at noon, re-open for 4 hours on Saturday, and then lock down again until Tuesday after Easter. That is the way it ususally is done, but I don't know if other rules will apply during this crisis. My son works at the opera, which is closed, so he has time to help old ladies in distress, and friends/neighbors who cannot leave their apartments for reasons other than age. My other son drives a trolley; I worry about his being in an exposed position every day, but he says he takes the recommended precautions.
My daughter lives in New York City, and I am thankful that so far, all is well. Grand kids are home from school, but will be back to lessons on line after Easter. They are lucky their building has a garden they can go out in to get fresh air. Forsythia blooming, and all kinds of spring flowers.

Question: Did Miss-ouri lend Missis-sippi her New Jersy?
Answer: Idaho, Alaska!

PS I'm exploring what Seniors & Friends has on the menu. I'm amazed how varied the boards are.
   :cup:
Kats are krazy, kalm or kollected, but mostly kôôl

Amy

ff56f3b5-162c-4066-8ca3-a2c8442e72f4.jpg

Good morning everyone..
 :hello: Jane, thank you! I will look for that if and when we get to the city and get it for Kyle. May look here and see if the drug store has some.

More cleaning to do today, windows washed and curtains hung out . Would like to get this all done before the good weather comes.

Jenny ,when I make the pie I don't add sugar, as you say they are sweet enough. Same with date squares..no sugar .
Received a cartoon that said in 3 weeks time we will know the true colour of everyone's hair! :2funny:

Shirley, yes I do know about those awful bugs. Babe had one on her last year. Just gross little critters. Both dogs will go on flea and tick med this year!
Rutami, welcome and good morning to you.

Since I finally got up earlier than before. I had better make good use of my time.

Enjoy your day everyone..

Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Y'all are sure bright & shiny this morning! I also have a "busy" (tongue in cheek) day, I'm going to call Kentucky Fried Chicken to make sure they are still open (I've picked up the single meals a few times in the last couple weeks)... going to take the bucket meal to son & wife since both of them are working extra hard online with students. She teaches math to middle school & he teaches 2 classes to electrical engineering students that want to get their diploma and some go back the their home countries. Stressful jobs, stressful world. They are all being so good about not eating out so want to take them a treat. I hope everyone cooking food for carry out is being careful and safe.

Cats are all snuggled down for their morning naps. They stayed out last night, the low was 60+, so online weather showed. These ferals are nocturnal even though they must live on a human schedule most of the time.

Must go fix my breakfast, I feel lonely this morning, no reason except I enjoy getting out & mingling with people/shopping, and when I go to the store, bank or where ever necessary, it is there & back. Not a pity-party, just thinking.

Rutumi, I've seen you in another discussion & have wondered where you were born.... since I heard your quote before (being from Missouri, myself), will just ask. How cum you live in Norway? Don't mean to pry, just enjoy meeting and hearing about others. Happy to see you stop in here.

Keep thinking about Mary Ann, I'm sure Tom is busy taking care of her until he can find help. I do admire them both for helping each other.

One thing sure, this is the best bunch of people to be found anywhere! Big ole cyber hugs to all....

Gloria

Good morning everyone, another beautiful day in store today. Spent a couple of hours outside yesterday, a few out on the porch sitting on their  rollators. Was fun talking to them. Yes we were the 6 feet from everyone else.

JANE  I would be very sad not to have the SS and our cyber family to talk with every day. I so remember when SN shut us out. How happy I was when Pat opened S&F although a few never followed us.

AMY  boy I would love to have you for a neighbor. I would love some of your home made bread. If I ate enough of it I might add a couple of pounds?

PHYLLIS  wish I could cook and eat like I used to. Especially baking a pie or coo‪kies. If I was no t such a fussy eater I would be eating those TV dinners.

SHIRLEY  will be another good day today but topmorrow will be rain again. Like someone on the porch yesterday said 2 nice days and then 3 days of rain.

LLOYD  wish I could make bread again. Not slrong enough for the kneading anymore.

CAROL  sure hope no virus hit your computer. I know mine is acting up with the email.

CALLIE  when my younger son comes on Saturday he will not come near me either so no more hugs for now at least.

JOY  for a change I woke at 8 this morning, been waking between 3 -4 most mornings and feel sleepy most of the day. I have thought of getting a bread machine but no place to put it.

CAROL  wwhen I used to make bread I never used bread flour, just the regular. Don't think they had bread flour all those years ago.

SHIRLEY  like you I do not like raisins ad will still pick them out of anything.

JANE  I have been using Hempvana on my back and shoulders and it is the only thing that has helped me so far.

RUTUMI  so nice seeing your post here in the Soda Shoppe, We are a feiendly group and welcome everyone. Hope you come back here more often now that you found us.

Think I better get a move on and get dressed. Have to call the witch and make an appointment to sign a paper about the raise in my rent. Not bad, only $4 more. Don't know if she is in today, will have to look out to see if her car is here.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Son brought groceries "in quantity"!  I now have 52 pouches of dishwasher detergent (usually run dishwasher about twice a week) and a half gallon of Listerine.  :)
I asked if he would prefer I try ordering on line and he said, "No. You'd never get the order."  Fine with me as it does give me face-to-face contact with a real person...even if it is across the room.

A nice friend is sharing directions for making your own mask.  My reaction to her first message was  "Sew?  ???  Moi???  :o  Surely you jest!"    :2funny: 

Then she sent a Youtube video of the Surgeon General showing how to make one without any sewing:

That's better.  Folding I can do. :thumbup:

Sunny and warm today. I may be able to walk to the mailbox....if the wind isn't blowing the pollen around to the point that my eyes water and my nose drips.

Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.
Onward and Upward  :cheers: 

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria if you do not have a bread Machine, they have them at W M reasonable price. someone said they just used theirs the knead part. we usually go full length but you have to dig the paddles out of the bread, so taking it that point would eliminate that problem. I think It was AMY but not sure. but I will bet she wont get mad about using her expertise,she is a sweetheart. I I had a herd time getting to sleep, but when I did I slept Past morning meal and right up to noon meal,so just ate it and skipped the morning meal. that won't hurt my wight gain any.

Amy

Lloyd, yep that was me. Let the machine do the work, then take the dough out and make it into what you like....bread, buns, chelsea buns. I have made buns of bread as we don't eat a loaf up fast enough...so put 3 pieces of dough in pan, bake and then we just take one part off. Put the rest in the fridge for later. Like this

https://www.rockrecipes.com/homemade-white-bread/
Jimmy Dean

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone..
Thanks Callie for that Youtube on how
to make your own face masks... 

Easy does it.. I will try to make me  a
couple and see how that works for me. 

Great idea!!! 

I sneeked out this morning and walked
down to CVS to pick up some meds..

They are promoting sending us our meds
thru the mail.  Which I will have them
do for me from now on.   

They were only letting people in their store
a few at a time..  I got right in, but
when i came out there was a line of people
waiting to get in.

I had dressed for the occasion  had on my
mask and gloves.    People are being very very
careful,  which is a good thing.

I should not have to go out again except
to get my blood tested ....  YIKES

Have  a good day,  Everyone..

Hi Mary Ann

love Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Denver

A good Tuesday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND! 

Thank you, AMY, for the nice thought for the day.  When I wake up my first thought is....."yes, we are still in the corona virus situation, it is so and so day, and thanks be to God that we are all healthy and have a safe home to be in today"🙏🙏 You go girl......we sure want you to have all the indoor tasks done so you will be able to spend plenty of time outside planting in your nice planters your honey made for you❣️

JANE, I am not familiar with Arnica Gel, but I thank you for sharing this as I will be checking this out and sharing your advice with others in need of pain relief!  I had to smile as I read, "I have a list of things to do today"!  Of course you do.....I know you well enough to know tha5 you are not going to let a broken shoulder keep you down😘😘

WELCOME, RUTUMI.  So nice to see your interesting post.  I hope you will come back regularly as we all enjoy the interface with friends from all over the world. 

CALLIE, thankful for your son taking care of your needs....so many of US are certainly blessed to have caring families❣️

We had a call from our California Son.....he has been let go along with many that worked for the City.  The golf course may not ever open again, according to the powers that be, so he is looking at long range plans for he and his family.  It did not come as a big surprise to him as he knew it was not a sustainable business for the district😩. I am very proud of him in as instead of me having to be the strong one "consoling" him, he was consoling me!  And so, life goes on😘.

SHIRLEY, I am starting to feel the effect of this distancing thing also.  I have not seen anyone I care about face to face for so long, and I am really missing a hug and a greeting from my loved ones.  Mind you, I have my honey, so at least I do have him and I am very fortunate.

Need to get myself busy.....so you ALL take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

ill soon be heading off to dreamland.  I had a very busy morning paring down my list.  I started with 5 things, added 1 and finished the day with on thing left to do.  and ive already added 3 more things to tomorrows list.  and the regular daily things are not on the jist.  they're just sitting there staring me in the face.

I wish you all a peaceful nights sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow. and may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

well I am not quite as bad as I have been, But it is time I go take my shot and night time meds. and bid you all a sweet dreams and good night. I am off to bed Nancy is already there see you all in the morning I hope.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone. I knew when I got 8 hours sleep Monday night that would not be repeated, just got 4  hours last night and here I am a little after 3am wide awake. Oh well better than no sleep at all and had nights like that.

CALLIE wow  a gallon of listerine would last me forever. Thanks for the video for making a mask with no sewing. I cannot see good enough to thread a needle. I even have some of those self threading needles. I am so lucky with the CNA I have, she loves shopping and is a coupon queen so she saves me $$$ at the same time. She keeps better track of what I am running out of than I do.

LLOYD  I would have no place to put a bread machine in here. Very little counter space and with the microwave, toaster  oven and coffee maker there is not much room left.

SANDY  only seen 2 people living in this building wearing a mask.

JENNY  like you I miss the hugs from the son who comes here every Saturday. My other son's wife surprised me when she called and she cam here to cut my hair. Other than my CNA she is the only one I have been that close to. I still get my back massage 5 days a week when Yvette is here. One day I just might fall asleep while she massages my back.

AMY  love the Good Night you signed off with last night.

JANE  been a long time since I made a to do list. Now I just do what I can and that is not much.

LLOYD  hope you had a good sleep last night.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast