Random Image

Welcome to the Group

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 08:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-06, 01:46:51
junee: Bubble

2024-05-06, 01:46:39
junee: b

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

Corona Virus

Started by jane, April 03, 2020, 04:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Here is the place to talk about what we're all going through, regardless of where we are in this world, during this Corona Virus pandemic.

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane...thank you for opening up this room.....

jane

Glad to help, V-J, during this time.

jane

If you're in an area where you're advised to wear a mask and, like me, you don't sew, there was a way to fold a square of fabric and use what looked like ponytail elastic bands.

I'll try to get a link. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2611871869088258&id=100007964100586

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane...
... good idea, improvisation...

angelface555

As of three PM Thursday, "At least 7,000 people with the coronavirus have now died in the United States, 3000 of those in New York State, according to a New York Times database. The death toll has grown six-fold in eight days and now exceeds the number of people known to have died from the virus in mainland China, where the pandemic started in December. US medical experts are theorizing that the COVID-19 cases in the US may crest in July"

Vanilla-Jackie

Link for those who wish to keep tabs on our daily death  - recovered figures...for comparison you can also click on the Now - Yesterday centre-left above Country,Other....

UK - France - Italy - Spain - America are the highest daily rate death figures.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

jane

Vanilla-Jackie

I see by the world chart that Italy and Spain has come down today but, we, UK have gone up, we have been told-warned that we will double every three days, looks like UK will be the next Spain and Italy but at least this gives us hope if Italy's figures start to come down...Maybe that glimmer of hope we have all been praying for...as my late father often would say..." we live in hope girl. "

Jane...
... they showed an expert on our UK tv yesterday who showed us the correct way of wearing a face mask, the one he had on had a piece that he pinched between the sides of the nose so it tightened around the nose..it may have had a wire around it.

Marilyne

Jackie - good to hear that the illness count is going down in Italy and Spain!   I hope it starts dropping soon in the UK, and throughout the United States.   The death toll in New York is shockingly high.  Our numbers are going up in this county, and are now well over 1,000 cases.  However, we are still without the quick test kits here, so there are probably hundreds more as of today.

Jane - Thank you for  showing us how to make a face mask without sewing!   It looks pretty easy, even for me!   I have a couple of bandanas around here that I'll wash, and then give it a try, when I run out of the masks I have here.   We still have some masks left, that we bought during the last major wildfire here.

Vanilla-Jackie

Whilst we are taking care of inside our homes with disinfectants, bleaches and anti-bacterial's etc, all chemicals....there has been talk about "steam " killing this virus... so i have been wondering if boiling our kettles then placing the spout with the steam coming out over our kitchen worktops ( not sure i want bleach where food is going to be laying or chopped up on a wooden chopping board, ) might do the the trick or pressing the steam button on our electric irons might also be a useful idea...Not every household owns a steamer so anything useful that may improvise..

Vanilla-Jackie

Our Queen has just broadcasted live on our tv, 8.pm, to our country over the C -Virus and showing her appreciation in thanking all the people who are on the frontline and assuring us that " we will succeed and better days will come..we shall get through this.."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/05/queens-coronavirus-speech-full-will-succeed-better-days-will/

Tomereader1

Thank you, Jackie for sending that link.  I very much enjoy hearing the Queen speak.  She was very thorough in her remarks.  Even though I am not British, I would like to say "God Save The Queen".

Vanilla-Jackie

Tomereader...
...thank you, i too have utter respect for our Queen..and doesn't she look good for her age..she will be 94 in 16 days, the 21st April..

JeanneP

I can't stand the smell f disinfectant. I have ways used bleach in soapy water or white vinegar . We who live alone not mixing with people in and out all the time . I change shoes at the door into house shoes .throw  grocery bags and store bags away.wipe library books . Always done this. Along with hand washing. I use to think people thought me bit of a nut and this was aBritish way. Maybe got it from my dad. He was really fanatic about things.
So if I get sick from it ,it was just meant to be.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Jeanne P...
... i dont belong to a library but yes that does make one think of how many peoples hands have touched a book before your - our hands touch it...

Marilyne

Jackie  -  Queen Elizabeth's speech was just right, and I so appreciated her comments.   I'm a "Royal watcher", from way back, and I admire the way the Queen has handled all difficult and controversial situations over the years.
Yes, she looked wonderful!   One would never guess that she is 89 years old.  Prince Charles, is said to be doing well?   Not so for your PM, Boris Johnson, who has been admitted to the hospital.         

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...you have just knocked four-five years off her age..i am sure Her Majesty would be quite pleased to hear that.. wink, wink..

Marilyne

Jackie -  My daughter just emailed me, and reprimanded me for getting the age wrong, when I wrote to her this morning!  I'm mad at myself for making such an error, as I very well know her age, and Philip's too.  She is, and always has been, eight years older than I!  ::)   

FlaJean

Jackie, I just heard on the news that your Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is in ICU.  He took a turn for the worse, the newsman said.  Your Queen certainly gave a wonderful talk.

Vanilla-Jackie

I knew he was in hospital ( precautionary ) due to his symptoms lasting longer than anticipated but did not know they had worsened since morning-lunchtime news..

Marilyne

Good morning to all concerned members!  Things are about the same here in California, but the good news is that cases of coronavirus seem to be leveling off here.  Not going away, but not as many new, and not as many deaths. 

I looked for news of PM Boris Johnson, this morning, but I don't see any updates on the computer as to his condition?  I have learned that if you want to keep up with what is going on in the world, you have to watch the news on TV - specifically the channels like CNN, that update constantly as to statistics, as well as running those long White House briefings every day.  You can see "soundbites" on the computer, from Dr. Fauci, Trump and others, but if you want to really know what's going on, you have to watch the whole briefing, and listen to Q's and A's, et al. 

I hope you members who are looking in here, will keep us posted as to what is going on in your section of the country?

Rick/Rammel - you're the only one I know of who lives close to NYC.  How are things in your neighborhood, which I think is Yonkers?  I hope you and your wife and son, are all doing well?  Let us know what it's like there?

Vanilla-Jackie

UK hit our highest daily deaths today, the figure is a high 786, so figures are rising, not going down...i thought after yesterdays lower figures, they were starting to go down, not up...

SCFSue

Good morning, Every One looking in.  I am OK, just tired of being cooped up in my house.  I do get outside for a daily walk--I use a bandanna to cover my nose.  For the most part I am staying inside and reading/rereading many of the books I have collected.

I am planning a short walk over to my neighbors who have offered to go to the store for me.  However Tim has been doing that, so I will thank them for the offer and I hope they are doing OK.  I won't enter their home as I don't want to spread any germs I might have nor catch any they might have.

Our local hospital is over run by people with the infection.  They have gowned employees taking temperatures outside and I think deciding if those tested need to be admitted to the hospital.  This is a frightening time here in Auburn.

I hope Every Buddy is feeling well and avoiding people who might be infected.  Keep us posted and Take Care!

Sue

Vanilla-Jackie

938 deaths today and i thought yesterdays death total was high..this is not peaking at all in UK..

Sue...we have taken our freedom in the past, to just come and go, so much for granted...

FlaJean

Here in Florida we have a covid-19 dashboard that keeps up with each county.  Yesterday we had 83 cases and today we have 91 cases.  This is not a large populated area with big cities so that seems like a lot to me.  I did notice when we went to the grocery store yesterday, it wasn't crowded and people were keeping their distance and many were wearing a face covering (including us).

This is sure a scary time!

Marilyne, someone printed a picture of LA on the internet (taken by a drone) that mentioned how clear the skies were.  Another picture was printed showing the east coast and mentioned how clear the skies were.  A lack of emissions from autos and trucks in those usually busy roads?

Vanilla-Jackie

Just checked the worldometers daily dashboard and see that Spain's death numbers have been-are coming down, that is a good sign but Italy's although previously been coming down have gone up a tad today, i so want to see Italy's getting lower..We here in UK, our numbers have been rising and have now taken over from Italy's..I just pray when our countries with the highest deaths ( America ) come to our peaks, start getting lower and lower until no deaths no more, we live in hope, and we certainly are praying for this day to come...

FlaJean - Jean...
...yes so so scary, so so unreal, a living nightmare..

Marilyne

Jean - We also have the Dashboard, and the map of California, showing the worst counties in the darkest colors.  The others are in various shades, with the CV free counties in white.  There are only three of those left, and they're way up in the N/E corner of the state where no one lives.  Some sheep or cattle ranches up there, but that's about it. 

Our county - Santa Clara, (1,450 cases), and Los Angeles County, (8,647), have the highest numbers. LA county is huge, which is the reason their numbers are so high.  I know your grandson and family live in LA County, so I'm thinking about them, and hoping they are all okay?

Yes, the skies are clear in both Southern and Northern California. I've heard that the canals in Venice, are now clean and clear.   Free of tourists, for the first time in "forever"?

Jackie - I'm following the numbers in the UK, and hoping and praying that things start leveling off for you, as well as for us, and every other country that's fighting this ugly virus.    I haven't heard anything about your PM, in a few days, nor about Prince Charles?   I'm wondering about the PM's lady friend, who is apparently expecting a baby momentarily??

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...for what i am picking up on is...our Boris Johnson is making good progress and out of intensive care and has been taking short walks, doing puzzles, sudoku and films are keeping the UK prime minister occupied...all good news..

Prince Charles and Camilla are now re-united and sitting next to each other, and celebrating their 15th Wedding Anniversary... I like that photo, both very relaxed..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8201447/Prince-Charles-Camilla-share-touching-portrait-Birkhall-mark-15th-wedding-anniversary.html

Marilyne

Jackie - I enjoyed looking at all the photos of Charles and Camilla.   It's good to see them looking well, and happy together.  Seems impossible that its been fifteen years since they were married!  I wish them many more anniversaries in the future.