Random Image

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Corona Virus

Started by jane, April 03, 2020, 04:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

That is such a nice photo.  Soul mates.

Vanilla-Jackie

It is true what they say..." a smile is infectious.."
I have looked at this photo of Charles-Camilla with dogs a few times now, and each time, a smile has come into my face...and over this past one year, there has not been much to have made me smile...
" There is no present like the time "

jane

I get alerts from the Washington Post...and maybe some of you don't trust the newspapers, but I do.  This is SCARY about what this virus does to your lungs.

The storm inside: How the coronavirus killed Keith Redding
A CT scan performed just a few hours after Keith Redding showed up at the emergency room showed dead cells and viral particles scattered across his lungs like bits of broken glass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/04/12/storm-inside/?arc404=true

FlaJean

I get Washington Post alerts also.  I have a subscription to the Post and read it everyday.  A very sad story.

Marilyne

I'd like to read the story, but I don't have a subscription to the Post, so I'm locked out.  :'(  Some of the online newspapers that require a subscription, are suspending the requirement, and allowing them to be read by everyone. Only for the duration of the Coronavirus Shelter-in-Place, of course.  It's really nice, and I've been enjoying the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal for free, for the past couple of weeks.  It's a clever idea, because now I'm hooked,  and considering subscribing when this SIP is over!  :thumbup:

jane

I thought maybe it was free, as you said, Marilyne.  I've taken to reading newspapers online. My "local" paper...from the nearest large city is half the price if I do it online.  Since it's all there and I don't have to worry about when the delivery will come or fill up my recycle bin with paper, I'm enjoying the online.  I used the $$ that I saved to get the Post when they were running a special.  I should have waited longer....they had it down to $29 for the year.  I paid more.  :idiot2:   but I like the alerts and knowing quickly what's going on and the excellent journalism.

jane

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane...
...i too had problems opening the link-the story to read..

...I have been daily checking this link of all countries affected daily and its figures, it will allow you to click on the day before for comparison, i notice that yesterdays death figures had fallen ( and pray they keep going down ) in our top five deaths countries of USA-Spain-Italy-France-UK....Link - scroll down...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

jane

Apparently you have to subscribe to the WP to see the article.  It has a picture of his 3D lung scan and this info:

"By the time Dana, 48, drove Keith to the emergency room on March 11, a week after his symptoms first appeared, some 30 percent of his lungs had been damaged. On a rare three-dimensional CT scan of his chest, the profusion of viral particles and dead cells showed up like scattered bits of broken glass. His condition declined as the disease spread throughout his body, a storm of inflammatory proteins overwhelming his vital organs one by one."

Vanilla-Jackie

This has got me thinking, remember when as a young child our parents took us to have all our future safeguarding vaccinations such as combined Polio-Tetanus-Rubella, Measles, BCG Tuberculosis...Now what is ahead for our next generations re, our newly Covid 19 Coronervirus..although this doesn't seem to affect our young children at present, i can only assume this will be part and parcel routine as from next year and onwards..

It has just brought back memories of the 1950's and 60's of the Thalidomide drug..the Thalidomide babies..

Marilyne

Jane - That sounds absolutely horrifying, but good to know -  especially for those who are not following all the coronavirus guidelines.  Some people need a wake-up call!

I will definitely subscribe to the NY Times, online, when this crisis is over.  We still get the San Jose Mercury News, daily delivery print edition, as well as online access, and also get the San Francisco Chronicle, online.   I still enjoy getting that morning paper, and love sitting back and reading it from cover to cover. I was a Journalism major in College, and have been a "news junkie" ever since. I especially like the Op Eds, and the weekly  opinion columnists.  I read all opinions - right, left, and middle of the road.

Vanilla-Jackie

Been on our tv news that now due to the closures of our local authorities recycling centres due to our C-Virus situation, people are illegally fly tipping, literally " dumping "rubbish on private land-farmland-road verges-in the countryside...this will cause us another health hazard..also a danger to our wildlife..It would have been better if they had kept these places open but, this would have been a busy Easter weekend with so many taking unwanted stuff to the tip, it would have been impossible to have everyone keeping there distance from each other as the cars drive alongside of the bins they are taking their stuff to..Link to story..

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-14/coronavirus-lockdown-sees-huge-rise-in-fly-tipping-across-uk/

jane

What a mess, V-J!  We have city wide garbage and recycle pickup here weekly, paid for on our monthly water and sewer bill.  They don't take yard waste, so I'm glad to have a young man who mows my yard and does leaf cleanup and hauls the stuff to the local compost place...where you can also get compost if you're a city resident.  For big items, you pay extra and the garbage people will come and get it. 

I was amazed at the number of people at WalMart without face masks.  I truly felt like the "Lone Ranger"...except my mask covered my nose and mouth and not my eyes, as his did.  (V-J...he was a popular early tv "cowboy")

I'm looking forward to warmer weather.  It was quite cold here this morning...19 degrees...and snow predicted to go south of me.  I want a nice warm spring.   :tickedoff:

Take care, stay safe and healthy!

jane

SCFSue

Jane, I had to laugh (thanks for your memory of the Lone Ranger).  When I was a young girl I listened to the Lone Ranger every Saturday on our radio.  I also liked to listen to the Opera (my family thought I was nuts!).  Another cowboy favorite was Gene Autry and his wife whose name I've forgotten.  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/Smileys/alive/rolleyes.gif

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

FlaJean

Our covid-19 count has gone up to 114 now.  It makes one wonder how many we would have if the state was testing people in this area.

A lot of people in our area are wearing masks and keeping a good distance, including us when going to the grocery store.  We live close to Several military bases and I imagine many of the younger people we see with masks are probably in the military.

This pandemic is going to change many things about our lives.  They are talking locally about opening a few things.  My husband said to me a day or so ago that he wasn't sure he would feel comfortable going to restaurants any time soon, especially without people being tested.  This is not a heavily populated area and lots of space and so far the grocery shelves haven't been bare except for TP. 😊

Unfortunately, we don't know what will happen.  Many of our Florida farmers are plowing under crops because of a lack of labor.  Only God knows how this all going to end.

Vanilla-Jackie

Our three week UK lockdown has been extended for another three weeks which i feel is the responsible thing for us to do...

Jane...
...UK have had your warmer weather..it has been sunny, dry and pleasantly warm-hot..although i have not seen too much of it re, my MS body..

FlaJean...
... it doesn't bear thinking about does it, " how this is all going to end.." that is assuming it does end...

Marilyne

Things are about the same, here in our hard hit, Santa Clara County.   This morning, the count is now 1,870 cases, with 73 deaths, but. is actually much higher.  There are no test kits here, and haven't been for a long time,  so no way of knowing how many more people actually have the virus, but are not being officially counted. 

The latest thing to worry about here, is total lack of food in our major market chain, Safeway.   Seems there has been a  surge of c-virus cases at the large distribution centers for Safeway Markets and their satellite stores.   This includes all workers and handlers of items for shipping, as well as the drivers of the huge delivery trucks.  We had an order to be picked up at our neighborhood Safeway on Monday, but it's been cancelled.  We will have to go to Whole Foods or a locally owned market, and hope to find some of the things we need.   Rumor is that Safeway, will have to close until they can get delivery going again.  All shelves, plus dairy case, frozen foods, etc., have been stripped here in our store, according to what we read online.

We aren't in danger of going hungry, because there are other places to get supplies, even if we have to resort to 7-11!  ;D   It will be interesting, when we finally venture out and start foraging for food!  ha ha.  Of course we have our son & dil, who live here in the same town, so they will look after us, if need be.   :thumbup:     

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...i was always a tad wary of ordering foodstuffs from Amazon although recently ordered butter portions, mixed yogurts, cuppa soups, individual porridge sachets, to store up-tide me over for the time being... they are usually quick to arrive..

FlaJean

We now have about 127 cases here in our county.  Our governor is opening a few beaches (Jacksonville and Miami), but people are supposed to keep their distance.  As far as I know, our beaches here in the Panhandle are not open yet.  We wouldn't be going regardless.

We did go to Walmart for a few essentials yesterday (wearing our masks and gloves).  They even had a limited amount of TP.  Now that we have gotten use to the self-checkout stations, we like them.  It is much easier to keep distance here because it isn't crowded.  We do a lot of our shopping at a Florida based grocery chain called Publix but there are no Safeways or Giant Food stores in this area, Marilyne.  If we want to shop at Whole Foods, Fresh Market or Lowe's and Home Depot we have to cross the MidBay Bridge at $3 each way.  There are advantages and disadvantages to living outside a small town.

We are still under a "stay at home" order but I noticed not as many people were wearing masks yesterday.

I've never order food from the store yet, but it is good that it is available if the need arises.  Gigi always calls when she shops to see if we need anything, but so far we've been doing ok.

Vanilla-Jackie

Another harsh reality from David Beasley UN world food programme Executive Director...apart from at the same time whilst dealing with a COVID 19 pandemic we are also on the brink of a hunger pandemic...

Quoting: " due to the Coronavirus, an additional 130 million people could be pushed to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020.  That's a total of 265 million people." 

Notice " could be " not, will be..Link..

https://www.wfp.org/news/wfp-chief-warns-hunger-pandemic-covid-19-spreads-statement-un-security-council

FlaJean

We've had 135 cases and 3 deaths here in our county.  May 1st the beaches are opening for several hours twice a day.  I hope people are careful to keep their distance, but I have my doubts.  They probably won't be wearing masks either.  We will stay home.

I sat out on the back porch yesterday and watched some birds visiting the bird feeders.  I tried to be still so they wouldn't fly off, but a few were scared.  There were a couple of crows who flew in and fussed at me.  If I sit out often enough while they feed they will get used to me, I think.

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...we have 19 deaths at the hospital where i was taken for my Christmas Day lunch...

Jean, it would be a very sad day if or when our birds stop singing, i too take comfort from our singing birds...Hearing and watching our birds is the one thing, the one place i am at my most happiest and relaxed..Thank God for our singing - flying birds, they give us hope, and that life is still very much out there..

jane

Wow...ladies...you've had a lot of cases.  Here in my rural county, we've had 3. 

Take care and stay safe and healthy!

jane

Vanilla-Jackie

Shock horror...if somebody has there way, we will all be injecting ourselves with " disinfectant.." i wonder if he will be the first one to give his idiotic brain - wave of a theory, our cure, a go...yes, will he be our worlds first " guinea pig. "

Sadly there will now be people who will no doubt be trying this with dire consequences..

jane

V-J...Yes, unfortunately, the Poison Control Centers have gotten calls from people asking about that. [SHAKING MY HEAD] AND the manufacturers of bleach and disinfectant have made announcements NOT TO DO THAT!
 It's unbelievable BUT I heard it with my own ears.

jane

Marilyne

Shocking but true - I also saw it last night on NBC news!  :yikes:

SCFSue

The nursing homes here have a number of deaths in their elderly patients.  It is a sad situation and doesn't seem to be slowing down soon.  It's scary and I'm avoiding my neighbors and anyone else who might be stopping by.  I do walk daily down the hill and back up in the early morning.  So far I haven't run into anyone else walking at that hour.  Most of my young neighbors are going out to work, so am not seeing them.

Our choir director and her hubby came by several days ago.  They were wearing face masks and didn't come in, but brought me some cookies they'd made.  Our church has not been meeting for at least 3 weeks now.  My friend Marilyn's husband who had dementia died during this time and she had a service with her children at the church.  Our church will resume when the virus slows down.

This is a sad time for everyone here in Alabama as the virus is spread through out our state.  So far our Governor (Kay Ivey) has not quarantined anyone.  I think she's making a mistake!

I hope Every One reading this is staying home and is not exposed to others who may have the virus.

Take care and stay safe, Every Buddy.
Sue

Marilyne

Hi Sue, nice to see you checking in. 
I don't see the cases of C-virus slowing down here in California, at all.   Our Governor, Newsom, has not lifted any of the restrictions, so we are still sheltering in place, and wearing gloves and masks when out in public.    Businesses are still closed, as well as all parks, beaches, and all other forms of recreation.  It's a good thing, in my opinion, but many people are beginning to balk at the restrictions.   As the old saying goes - "the natives are getting restless".   Lots of hopelessness and repressed anger out there.       

FlaJean

We went to Walmart and Publix grocery store today.  All employees at both stores are wearing masks and they have changed most of the aisles in both stores to one way.  We wore our masks and gloves but some of the younger people did not. But the stores are not usually crowded here as we live in the county just outside the small town of Niceville.

We have 149 cases now in our county.  But this area started the social distancing right away without any suggestions by the Governor who was late to do anything.  I expect it was different here because of the many military bases in the area.

so_P_bubble

Vanilla-Jackie

Oh so you are the local bra thief they call Lou ( loo )