Random Image

raisingflag.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for June 1, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, May 31, 2020, 11:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosemary

Good afternoon everyone,

I was so tired last night and had a backache, so I took some Cocodamol and went to bed early - and slept right through to almost 6am, which is a record for me. Hoorah!

It was so wet and windy yesterday evening that I moved the morning glory plants that I had just potted up away from the fence (which I want them to grow over) and left them beside the house wall. This morning they look fine so I have re-positioned them - honestly, it is like having babies sometimes.

There have been very big protests in parts of the UK, and one is planned for Edinburgh today. My younger daughter is extremely engaged with all that has been happening in the US - young people today are indeed so much more informed than I was at their age. She asked me if I thought she and her friend should attend, but I was hesitant as I was concerned that if social distancing broke down they would end up with their photos all over the internet, and people vilifying them for spreading the virus. Our media are all too keen to make young people the villains of the peace just now, which I find grossly unfair as I see far more middle-aged people breaking the rules. Anyway, we discussed it and they decided not to go, but to make some posters and pin them up along the proposed route, which they did yesterday. They wore masks and gloves and had no problems. I feel that was a fair compromise. There is a huge groundswell of opinion here, I have never seen anything like it - we have had deaths in police custody before, but there has never been the strength of reaction that there is this week.  I wonder what will happen.

Unfortunately there is a lot of very racist behaviour towards the Muslim community as well in parts of the UK. Any unsolved crime is immediately blamed on them - when a small child was abducted, assaulted and murdered on one of the islands a couple of years ago, there was the most horrible reaction - a group of Syrian refugees had been resettled on the island (goodness knows why, these communities are very close knit and old fashioned) and they were immediately blamed, some people said some appalling things on social media. The perpetrator was eventually caught - it was a local white teenager. So yes, I would say that it goes both ways here. I think our police force has improved its attitude a lot in recent years though, especially the Met in London. If you have ever seen the TV series 'Our Friends in the North' which, despite its title, also covers life in Soho in the 1970s, you will know how corrupt, sexist and racist the police were then - but that is largely in the past now. (And I do recommend that series, it is available on DVD here, it stars a young Daniel Craig, Christopher Ecclestone and Gina McKee, and they were all brilliant - it tells you a lot about British political and social life over several decades, and is also just a really good story.)

Today all I have done so far really is update my Goodreads profile and had my coffee - also the laundry is now at least half done.  It is already almost 1pm here, I had better, as they say, get my finger out.

Lloyd - do you know the name of that Scottish castle? How fascinating!

Have a good day all,

Rosemary

Amy

Rosemary, I am sorry I forgot to say that the wood we are dealing with at the moment is wood for next winters heat. We do  have oil but prefer the wood heat.We have a wood cookstove which heats our house...
Give my husband a piece of wood and he will built you what you ask for. He is a carpenter and loves to work with wood. We had our own carpentry business for 15 years after he had retired from his work . 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Joy

Good Morning.

Amy, I am hanging in there. Really so lazy and just don't have any ambition at all.  I had to get up early, as I have a grocery order coming between 11 and 12.  So, I need to get my shower and get dressed, but stopped here while I finish my coffee.  I had to set the alarm so I wouldn't sleep the day away.  And, I must admit, I do feel better.  Yesterday, I just couldn't wake up.

I do have a lot of things I could be doing, but just don't feel like it.  And, people I have talked to, all seem to feel the same way.  I just want all this craziness to stop.  I really dread to think about it, but I am afraid we will be dealing with all this for a long time.  Just goes from one thing to another.  This world is just falling apart.

It is a beautiful sunny morning. Humidity has gone way down, and temperatures will be in the low 80's. I could take that for the rest of the year.  Hopefully, I will get to sit outside later in the day. 

Right now  I will just wish everyone a wonderful day.  Be safe.

Joy
BIG BOX

Rosemary

Amy - we had wood stoves in the first house we bought, out in the wilds. They were fabulously efficient when lit, and during one of the numerous winter power cuts I recall heating water and even formula on top of one of them - BUT I was absolutely hopeless at getting them lit myself, and I used to get so mad when only my husband could make them work. I suppose there is a knack to it, and I certainly did not have it!

phyllis

I'll only make one comment, or two.  I feel that it is impossible to understand what someone else of whatever color is feeling, or experiencing, unless we "walk a mile in their shoes".  Other than that, I never discuss politics or religion.  I respect other people's opinion, even if I don't agree with it, and ask that they respect mine.  And, finally, violence from any "side" should never be acceptable.

Cloudy, very warm and humid here.  I think that will be the theme of the days for many weeks to come.

I have always found it interesting to track the movement and change of the sun patterns through the trees in my little patch of woods.  Each season is so different.  And each day is different.  On days when the humidity is low the shadows are darker and the edges are sharper down in the woods.  On high humidity days they are much softer.  I suppose it has to do with the light refraction of water droplets in the atmosphere.  Also, I have noticed the change in the animal's/bird's behavior when a storm is coming.  Have you ever noticed when the wind comes up how much more carefully the birds will watch the sky?  Perhaps looking for possible predators?

Enough of that!  Take care, Everyone.   
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's a beautiful day in Central PA today.  I'm going to attend my very first horse show competition this afternoon.  My grandniece, Bethany's college equestrian team is competing.

I wish you all a pleasant day!  Make it your own in every way!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Gloria

Good morning everone, slept late this morning. It was hot and humid yesterday but in late after noon we had a brief bur st of rain and wind, coooled off fast after  that. When I got on here this morning I got to the SS and I saw Preview at the top of the page and there was my post for yesterday. Well that was old news today so deleted it. I really am slipping because I never use preview. Blame it on age or poor eyesight? Or just plain losing it(brain)?

SHIRLEY  where did your granddaughter she was a person of color? If that was the case I should have redskin from my Native American ancestors on both parents sides. Mothers here in RI and Fathers in Canada.

JANE  I remember that question in school and I told the teacher the street and number in Waterbury, Conn. I am so temptedd filling out forms when they ask color or whatever I am tempted to put down AMERICAN and see what reaction that would bring.

PETER/ROLEY  love that song. Sounds like me. Have not been anywhere since New Year's day and would love a change of scenery.

AMY  we had one brief rain yesterday. It had been sunny hot and humid. I looked up at the window and was surprised at how dark it was. I looked out and it was pouring and the wind was tossing trees around like they were going to come down. Did not last long but cooled the air.

JOY  I feel like you. No energy for anything. I feel I want  to get aay from here for a few hours jus t t o see some thing different. When it is hot I cannot sit outside, I stay in with my AC.  I cannot take the sun-get dizzy if I sit in it for more than 5 minutes.

ROSEMARY  I grew up in a home with a cast iron kitchen stove. On cold winter days I wish I had one to stand near when I come in from outside.

PHYLLIS  like you I will not talk poli tics or religion with anyone. We all have our beliefs and ideas so why argue about it. When I had my bird feeders I st ar ted to no tice that  some days the different species would all be there together, would have to keep refilling the feeders. Dduring the night or the next morning it would be snowing. They knew we had a storm coming.

JANE  enjoy the horsn show today. I watch one years ago at a fair in northern Mmaine with my niece and her husband. Thos horses were so well trained. A pleasure to watch.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Shirley

A good night sleep & all of your nice comments about my shock of having a gr-daughter who thinks of herself as a "person of color".... when I never thought about color. I was aware that some people do, a long ago friend made a comment about her daughter dating a boy from Mexico, it wasn't the color of his skin she was concerned about but the possibility "he might be Catholic". That also shocked me, but with grandfathers that completely rejected their son-in-law or daughter-in-law, I knew some people were prejudice.

Anyway, I will bite my tongue and not bring up the subject again, but as I told my daughter.... I have as much right to MY opinion as does everyone else! Mine is that we can't forever blame problems of what our grandfathers did, but each of us make our little spot a happy zone. Just like me feeding these fish, MY little corner is a safe zone to come & eat and I wish people with the same opportunity would clean out their own area if they want to fish. Up stream is a public park that fishermen are welcomed. And that's all I'm gonna say on the subject!  Thanks for your input, it helped clear my head.

Looks like we may get a little cool down mid week. From here on out that will be my light at the end of a tunnel until fall shows up. I really thought the heat would not bother me as much when I got older, but it does.

Sandy, to have an electrician (has to be certified by the city) come out & put in the higher power plug would cost a fortune. My son went down & passed their test with flying colors but only allowed to do wiring in his own house/property. This would actually mean putting in a whole new breaker box. We had to hire an electrician for about a week when the underground wire from the pole wore out, couldn't put over head because of the pool so had to have the meter moved to the other end of the house, also breaker box in the basement changed as restrictions changed, so the city inspector came along & insisted we put in a whole new unit, new ground wire, etc.... in the basement, house was built in 1966. We discovered there was no more room for the extra 220 needed in the garage. SO, I do without AC when the RV is parked in my driveway. Pretty sure it (RV) will go by next year. Life changes all the time & we make choices we don't like sometimes. But thanks for the thought, don't think enough years to care much longer.

I picked up McDonald's & met son & wife & their 2 grands at the park for breakfast. Have to laugh because it isn't a lot of fun trying to eat & having to make sure everything is weighted down to not fly off the table. Think it is a good time to stretch out for a nap, too hot & windy to do anything outside & all 3 cats are in their place of choice for the day. Callie slipped into the garage when I came home, she'd rather be out there than in the house during the day. Some days she likes to stay outside but think the heat is getting to her.

I watered again this morning, do need to get those sprinklers running since they use our well water. Our city water is based on "normal use in Feb".... and a higher rate for any extra usage. Can break the bank to open the pool, water flowers/trees & wash vehicles in the same month!

Lloyd Hammond

phyllis I am with you. seams to me command since has got up and went. we need to respect everyone and their rights even if it is different from ours. one of my best friends is black, and I gave him his first job in a blacksmith and welding shop i worked at, when the boss left me in charge of while they were on vacation.he was a natural, with one lesson on how to strike a arc and weld. the boss was very preduiss. when he got back and seen him in another part of the shop, he asked me what is he doing there. I said welding and doing a good job. he let it go then, but in a few days he called him in the office, i was working at a bench close to shop office  door, just a opening no door on it. we kept out time on the back of counter checks used in those days, hanging on a nail on the side of it. I went in and asked what is going on. speincer (his name) he said he is firing me. boss said no laying him off,we do not need him. I said we do there is work laying on the floor that was there before you went on vacation undone. he said my choice. I said ok and backed up and got my time slip off and threw it down on his desk and said just fill mayen out too I will just go with him the other balck smith seen what we were doing and came in and got his time slip and said fill myen out too we will go with him. boss said all you go back to work I cant do it all. spince worked at least 2 1/2 years there after I quit and started my Owen shop. we are still good friends today.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Rosemary The name of the castle is dwart. is now a truest attraction, No family connection. boy this sight is either dead or my computer is one, no post since i posted @ at 11:31:22 am today. hope I haven't made you all mad somehow.I like loving and teasing. good night and sweet dreams. I am going to go give my self my shot and take my pills for night time. Hope i go right off to sleep. and more of you show up in the morning.

Lloyd

Shirley

Sweet dreams and God Bless.... Love ya all.....Shirley

JaneS

I'm off to Dreamland!  It's been a busy day but a lot got done and I'm tired right down to my socke!  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Gloria

Good morning everyone. A good night for sleeping, no fan or AC, 51 now and I like it. If the high never gets above 75 that makes me happy, too.
I don't know about anyone else but I am tired of hearing "black lives matter." ALL lives matter IMHO.

SHIRLEY  remember the TV series All in the Family? Archie Bunker and Edith? He sure was a bigit. Reminded me of one brother who was very prejudice.  They even looked alike even to the blue eyes. Years back when those who did a lot of traveling had CB's in their cars he handle was Archie. I thought of my brother the first time I saw that program but was afraid to say anything to him but when I found out that was his name on the CB I laughed and started calling him Archie. The same round face and thinning hair. The blue eyes cinched it.

LLOYD  I do not care what color a person is or where they come from, there are good and bad in all of them. Used to be we told our children they can trust a cop if we are in trouble and these days we are afraid to get near a cop. There are days I do not feel up to posting but try getting here every morning.

SHIRLEY  LIKE YOUR NEW AVATAR.

JANE  I slept great last night and still did not want to get up this morning. Went to bed early, 9:30 after watching Columbo and of course woke too early.

AMY  CALLIE JOY  PHYLLIS  ROSEMARY and anyone else I missed I wish you a wonderful Monday.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Amy

Good morning everyone...

Cooler temps for now but soon to warm up by the middle of the week. I met the fella that brings our wood yesterday in the grocery store and he said today he will deliver another load. Know what my day will be like now.

Jane, did you enjoy the horse show?

Gloria, I think a lot of people are wishing the news would find something else to report.

Better get ready to meet the day.

Enjoy your day and stay safe everyone..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  AMY, I never made it to the horse show.  It was so hot and the sun was so bright and there's no where to get out of the sun that I let myself be talked out of going!  DARN!!

Like you, GLOIA, I slept pretty well last night but I'm still really tired today.  I think I'll just take today off and only do what's necessary to get through the day  And the necessary stuff includes searching the couch for some unused zzzzzs!

I hope you all have a lovely day!  Make it your own in every way!

phyllis

Good morning.  I'm up..not quite awake but getting there.  This computer is cranky and needs to be "booted" (literally!!) so I'll just say.....

I hope ALL of you have a VERY good day.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning everyone. a few min. ago I treed to get on S & F on my big screen TV and it would not let me. had a big list of?? and said i could not go to that part re re register. i do not know why on this laptop or big screen T V makes any deference ? will someone explain why.

Lloyd

Marilyn

Joy

Marilyne, yes, I was friends with Ginny for a long time.  Then, we lost touch, I guess, when Senior Net changed.  I also think I used to keep up with her on Facebook for a while, also. 

Thanks for letting us know.  I don't remember her being on here for a long time now. 

it has been a very pretty day here today.  After I had my hair done, I did sit outside for a little while,  After I had lunch, I started reading and fell asleep.  Slept for a couple hours.  I was up around 6 a.m. so I guess I had to catch up with a nap. 

Hope everyone has had a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Gloria

Good morning everyone, another good night for sleeping and that I did. Humidity is low and to me that is perfect. Yesterday oldest son came early  with a bag and a big pan, wondered what he had thought up now.  Well he brought 2 lobsters over and the pan to cook them in. I am always talking about Yvette and how she is spoiling me, well this was a thank you from him for being so good to and for me. When she got here he was gone and I told her she had some cooking to do. OK so what did I want.She had never cooked a lobster so I had to tell her how. She had only had them in a restaurant. Ok get the pan half filled and the water boiling. She wanted to start them in cold water. Had to show her how to open them and get the yummy out of the shell. We both enjoyed the treat. Called son and we both thanked him. Made sure she took all the shells out to the trash and no left over smell in here.So that was how her and I enjoyed our time together yesterday.

AMY  hope you stack that wood in the early morning before it gets hot.

JANE  I have never had so many naps as I have lately.  Makes me feel so lazy. Guess I should call myself  Lazy old woman instead of Gloria.

PHYLLIS  I have hated this computer since day 1. Nothing but trouble since it was set up.

JOY  hope you had some company when you sat out. Never see any of the other people here at all lately.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe.

Amy

Good morning everyone...

We are going to get much needed rain today and tomorrow so they say. Along with the rain we will have high temps...........would you say we would be in hot water? :)

Yesterday started off well..picked up meds ,baked bread then our load of wood came. Then I found EVERYONES zzz...what was to be a 20 min nap turned into 2 hours 15 min! Not much work done but it is still there for today......no gremlins came and piled the wood either.

Gloria, that wood will get done when it is cooler. Lobster...yummy!! Your son is a keeper for being so thoughtfull to both you and Yvette!!

Phyllis, I understand about the puter, mine has been giving me grief on my mail and then my fitbit decided to throw a fit. All these modern gadgets to keep us frustrated at times.

Better get ,need to replace a battery in one of the clocks that read 12:00 when I got up........thought I had slept till noon!

Enjoy your day everyone..
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Good Morning, Friends! Been keeping busy or sleeping around here but still thinking about y'all. Got my first flea bite last night, don't know if sand flea from the river or a cat shared, but today I will catch cats & put the stuff on the back of their necks "if it's the last thing I do".

Gloria, I've never eaten lobster, not a shell fish fan because we don't live close enough to water where they are fresh. I can eat shrimp cocktail when delivered to the city special, but never buy from the store. We are deprived in this part of the country and I've "smelled" the off odors in too many grocery stores. Glad you have such a thoughtful son that knows how to make you happy (worth all those teen age years, huh?) About Archie Bunker, my father was one that knew every slang name & his friends all seemed to use them. Strange that he didn't ever do it to hurt feelings, was part of their way of thinking. He had no trouble sitting down to eat with anyone, talked about stopping along the railroad tracks when he had his own rail car (fixed signals) to eat with hobos. We had one cousin whose mother was Italian.... so cousin was a "Wop"... and so on. To him the judging of a person was if "they are a good worker", man or woman.

Amy, I bow to your energy and stacking that wood.

OOPS, here come the cats wanting breakfast. All stayed out last night....be back later........

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm going to take a minute to explain why my posts have been short lately.  My floors are all complete except in my "Catch-all" room.  I don't have an attic or a basement in this house and the room at the end of the hall has been my "attic" since I moved in here.  Now I have to clear out at least half of it so the guys can come back and do the floor in that room.  I've decided to do it right and actually get rid of the things I don't use (some I haven't used since I moved in 23 years ago).  I'm not even half way done and 2 large bags have gone to the dumpster and I have one more small one for the trash this week.  Also, Christy has taken some pictures and old hankies and doilies and some other stuff.  She also helped herself to some canned goods when we moved out the shelf they were stored on.  Courtney took a couple old jackets out of the closet and large painting that her Great Grandfather did.  Christy is taking one of those, too, the next time she comes up.  Courtney got some canned goodies too, just for her help.

When they left on Sunday night, I was beat right down to my socks and I told myself, I wasn't going to even look in that room until at least Wednesday.  But I had and idea for organizing the next step and I was in there at 6:30 getting it started and then Monday I was back working on it.  How on earth does one accumulate so much STUFF?  And WHY does one accumulate so much STUFF?

Last night, I promised myself a day off today and I'm already thinking about the next step.  I've got to learn to keep my promises!

Anyway, that room, plus a weekend of company is the reason I've been neglecting my friends here and I'm sorry for that.  But it will probably happen again so I apologize in advance.  I do read your activities and I feel your joys and your miseries with you.  You are all my special friends and I'm always talking about you to my friends and family.

I wish you a lovely day!  Make it your own in every way!

And stay out of HOT WATER!  That's no fun!

Note:  SHIRLEY, read your post that sneaked in while I was typing.  My husband's grandparents emigrated to America from Italy bringing their three oldest children with them.  My MIL was born here but she was always a "Wop" to my FIL.  And she never seemed to mind that name.  In fact, she told someone once that she was an "Ikey-Wop". 

so_P_bubble

About Flag Day

On June 14, 1777, the Second Continental Congress took a break from writing the Articles of Confederation and passed a resolution stating that "the flag of the United States be 13 stripes, alternate red and white," and that "the union be 13 stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation."

In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson marked the anniversary of that decree by officially establishing June 14 as Flag Day. As you celebrate the anniversary of the Stars and Stripes, here are some fast facts about "Old Glory."

• Bernard Cigrand, a small-town Wisconsin teacher, originated the idea for an annual flag day, to be celebrated across the country every June 14, in 1885. That year, he led his school in the first formal observance of the holiday. Cigrand, who later changed careers and practiced dentistry in Illinois, continued to promote his concept and advocate respect for the flag throughout his life.

• It is widely believed that Betsy Ross, who assisted the Revolutionary War effort by repairing uniforms and sewing tents, made and helped design the first American flag. However, there is no historical evidence that she contributed to Old Glory's creation. It was not until her grandson William Canby held an 1870 press conference to recount the story that the American public learned of her possible role.

• The lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner," America's national anthem since 1931, are taken from a patriotic poem written by Francis Scott Key after he witnessed the Battle of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812. His words were set to the tune of "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular British drinking song.

• In the 1950s, when it seemed certain that Alaska would be admitted to the Union, designers began retooling the American flag to add a 49th star to the existing 48. Meanwhile, a 17-year-old Ohioan named Bob Heft student borrowed his mother's sewing machine, disassembled his family's 48-star flag and stitched on 50 stars in a proportional pattern. He handed in his creation to his history teacher for a class project, explaining that he expected Hawaii would soon achieve statehood as well. Heft also sent the flag to his congressman, Walter Moeller, who presented it to President Eisenhower after both new states joined the Union. Eisenhower selected Heft's design, and on July 4, 1960, the president and the high school student stood together as the 50-star flag was raised for the first time. Heft's teacher promptly changed his grade from a B- to an A.

• During the Vietnam War era, some demonstrators burned American flags as an act of protest. The Flag Protection Act of 1968 was enacted in response, making it illegal to burn or otherwise deface the Stars and Stripes. In two landmark decisions 20 years later, the Supreme Court ruled that the government couldn't curb individuals' First Amendment rights by prohibiting desecration of the U.S. Flag. Respectful burning of damaged flags according to established protocol has always been acceptable.

• Unlike setting an intact flag on fire, flying one upside-down is not always intended as an act of protest. According to the Flag Code, it can also be an official distress signal.

• Despite the preponderance of "patriotic" gear ranging from tee shirts to swimsuits to boxer shorts, the Flag Code stipulates that the Stars and Stripes should not appear on apparel, bedding or decorative items.

• The practice of draping coffins in the American flag is not reserved for military veterans and government officials. On the contrary, any burial may incorporate this tradition.

• Etiquette calls for American flags to be illuminated by sunlight or another light source while on display.

• When flags are taken down from their poles, care must be taken to keep them from touching the ground. In fact, the American flag should always be kept aloft, meaning that rugs and carpets featuring the Stars and Stripes are barred by the Flag Code.

• When the flags of cities, states, localities or groups are flown on the same staff as the American flag, Old Glory should always be at the peak. When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they should be of equivalent size and flown from separate staffs of the same height.

• The Flag Code strictly prohibits adding an insignia, drawing or other markings to the Stars and Stripes. Some American politicians have been known to defy this regulation by signing copies of the U.S. Flag for their supporters.

• Ever wondered how to correctly fold an American flag? First, enlist a partner and stand facing one another, each holding both corners of one of the rectangle's shorter sides. Working together, lift the half of the flag that usually hangs on the bottom over the half that contains the blue field of stars. Next, fold the flag lengthwise a second time so that the stars are visible on the outside. Make a triangular fold at the striped end, bringing one corner up to meet the top edge. Continue to fold the flag in this manner until only a the blue and stars are showing.

Rosemary

Good afternoon everyone :)

Lloyd - that is amazing, Castle Duart is on the Isle of Mull, off the west coast of Scotland, and I actually got married on Mull many years ago! 

Here is the website for the Castle as it is now:

I have never visited it but maybe one day soon. It looks like it is a very good visitor attraction now. Mull used to be a pretty basic place, but what with the passing of the years, and especially with the making of the long-running children's programme Ballymory (based on the actual town on Tobermory) it is clearly becoming quite sophisticated!

Today I went for an earlier walk than usual, along the Dee, and ended up so irritated by inconsiderate, selfish cyclists that I almost wish I hadn't bothered. I know I am so lucky to be so near one of the most famous rivers in the country, but even so. Anyway I have got enough paces on my Pacer app. so it wasn't a complete waste of time!

I am still enjoying The Last Hillwalker, the book my son sent me. It is interesting and entertaining in equal measure, not too serious, which is what I needed. After many climbs in Scotland the Lake District, in the chapter I am now on the author and his college friend are now tackling Mont Blanc in the Alps. I have no idea what motivates these people - I'd hate it - but it's good to read about it from a safe distance!

Our lockdown continues much the same as it was, although as we are now permitted to meet up with one other household outside, I have arranged to do a walk at Drum Castle with a friend on Thursday. I asked her about bringing coffee (you are not allowed to share, each have to bring your own) but she said as the toilets are closed, she could not even think about having any drinks till she got home. I think I will maybe stick to a bottle of water myself!

I tried to post a photo of Duart Castle but I think I am doing something wrong - can anyone explain?  I saved it to my own Facebook photos page then inserted the URL from there but nothing happened except that all the words that came after it in my post were underlined?  Help please!  I'll try it again here:

Have a good day everyone,

Rosemary

Rosemary

Oh dear, even posting the link to the website itself seems to have caused trouble - I hope someone else knows how to do these things properly!

Shirley

https://duartcastle.com/    See if that works, Rosemary.  If you "mouse over" the links to the right of You Tube above, 3rd image will say, "Insert a link".... comes a pop up where you post that link, it says Okay & will show up in the post. (Something like that... :D  )  Will admit I know very little about how to do anything but happy to share the little I've figured out!

so_P_bubble

Rosemary, any photo you want to post should be in the Photos Old and New folder. Also should not be over 800 pixels on the longest side. If you are not sure how to resize, feel free to e-mail it to me and I will post it for you and add a link to it here in Soda Shoppe.

Thanks Shirley for showing how to link.
I love your new look! Are those suspenders or backpack?

Shirley

That's a backpack, Bubble. Few years ago (maybe more) went to a deal downtown of big trailer filled with newest types of computer/photo/printer stuff. Don't remember the type camera they used, printed & processed right then & gave me the photo. Only one I have that I think looks like me "most of the time".  ;)

Bedtime in Kansas. Temps dropped dramatically while ago and I hate to sleep away these few cool hours. Wish I knew if I got this flea bite from the sand down by the river of if cats shared. I did get the stuff on Tom & Tiger but Callie tore out of my hands and don't think I got enough on her to do any good. I caught them separately so they didn't hide. Such a struggle with the girls but Tom didn't even squirm.

Wishing all sweet dreams and a happy tomorrow. I'm going to open my bedroom door/slider a couple inches & hope the cats don't pester me. Probably sleep with one eye open since good chance of rain/storms during the night. 'Tis the season......Shirley

Lloyd Hammond

Shirley I wish you would have a picture of recent taken and put up. don't be ashamed of the wrinkles.we have earned them and the brown spots, God is a better artiest than we are or ever will be. Ok I am off the soap box and going to give my shot and take my night time pills. I done my bad habit again falling to sleep watching TV this afternoon. Nancy and I both did, she was smarter than I was she went to bed with a good night Kiss. so shot and pills and I am off there also. sweet dreams and good night everyone.

Lloyd