Random Image

New Year

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for August 1, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, August 01, 2020, 12:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's nice and cool out there this morning, only in the low 60s overnight and not supposed to go any higher than 82 today.  My kind of summer day.

Mickie's leg seems to have healed.  She's taken to getting herself off the bed in the mornings and sometimes walks without any sign of a limp.  Thank goodness for that!

I'm off to feed Mickie, have my breakfast and then can the beans.  AMY has inspired me and I'm thinking of doing some potatoes.  It sure would be handy jut to grab a jar of potatoes than to peel and cook when it's time for a meal.  I'll let you all know how that works out.

It's just about time for the boinger so I'll be off to get my day started.  I wish you all a lovely day!  Make it your own in every way!  And don't forget to share it with your friends in the Soda Shoppe!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

so_P_bubble

Amy, what did you do to me!!!!

"check  out Jordan Fabrics ... and I did.

I fell in love with 2 batiks sold by the yard, and that would make lovely summer dresses for me. Cotton is ideal, and the colors are so pretty.

Did you see them?
Twilight Bay Mulberry Floral Silhouette, and also Shave Ice Fractured Florals.  Two yards would be perfect for a sleeveless dress.

But I had decided not to sew clothes again?...

I think that if I was your neighbor the temptation would be too strong  lol

Amy

LOL Bubble...see how one can drawn into these beautiful fabric? I could look forever......

Dill pickles are done and just waiting on the  canning of the salsa.......then I will cut up cucumbers for  mustard pickles. Will bottle them tomorrow...

We have had some rain ,always welcomed but thankfully no storms.

Bubble...have some fun here..

https://www.equilter.com/
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Denver

A good Monday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND 🦋

We had a nice weekend.  Got to spend some time with our Jonah Boy Saturday afternoon.  We went to #3 sons temporary home where they are staying while they wait to get set up n a new job location.  Jonah was in his own environment so he seemed so much more attentive to us.  When he is here at our house he interfaces with us, but still seems a bit reserved at times.  He played and talked up a storm and we had just a delightful time with he and his parents.  We had dinner together on the beautiful big deck and it could not have been anymore perfect.  We sure enjoyed it. 

It was a bit of a stressful weekend as well as our Boston Family was driving straight through from Vail CO to their home in Boston.  They arrived home safely at midnight EDT so I slept so much better last night after we heard from them😍

JANE, so happy to read that Mickie's leg seems to have healed.  Once again, you must be totally exhausted after your busy weekend with the fam8ly staying with you.  Try to rest a little....those beans and potatoes can wait another day!  What a nice surprise.....Omaha Steaks.  I hope you enjoy them. 

AMY, you really managed to get Bubbles attention with the nice fabric shope clickable.  BUBBLE the fabrics you mention sure are nice and yes, they would make a really nice summer dress. 

Busy, busy, AMY.....you sure do not let any grass grow under your feet, do you? 😘😘. I searched the web over to see if I could find one of the metal trugs like I sent you the picture of.....no luck.  Boo hoo.....foiled again.  I really did like the looks of it. 

CAROL, shame on your neighbors that made you feel bad for trapping the raccoon in your attic.  You did the only kind thing you could have done.  I hope another raccoon climbs into their attic next and let's see how they like it and what they would do? 

SHIRLEY, those tires sure are pricy on that monster👺. We saw a Rialto the other day and we sure did think of yours! 

It is a bit cooler here today......not to be confused with thinking it is cool....just cooler! 

PHYLLIS, I thought about you when I heard about the earthquake near you.  Sure glad you did not have any damage.

Washer and dishwasher are both singing to me at the same time telling me they are done and need my attention.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  Today was definitely NOT a da of rest!  I did two canners of string beans and I now have 13 pints waiting to provide meals when the "snow flies".  Right now they are sitting on the kitchen counter reflecting in the admiration of the lady responsible for their existence. 

Mickie and I had one long walk and three short once today.  She is definitely feeling better!

I also managed to cook some chicken in the crock pot for making dog food and a good chicken, sweet potato and green bean supper for me for tonight and an extra for whenever.

AMY, do you have enough tomatoes ripe to make salsa now?  Mine are just beginning to ripen.  I've had a total of 5 (ate 3 plus 3 Christy brought from further south and two are sitting out there staring at me).  Definitely not enough for a batch of salsa.

Tomorrow will be chop the chicken, give Mickie a bath, put away the beans, and take a package to the post office to mail.  Might make a stop at the Amish farmstand for some corn.  They probably have the best.  I have the system of "buy 12 (or 24 whatever I feel like shuching), eat two, freeze the rest.  I do this several times during the season.  I don't get tired;  I eat my fill; and I fill my freezer.

Guess I'll go take Mickie out one more time and head for Dreamland!  I hope I don't get any more scam callers in the middle of the night like I did last night.  I had 3 calls between 1:30 a.m. and 3 a.m.  And you have to get up and look to see who is calling because it could be family members. 

Anyway, I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Tomereader1

Where is our Vanilla-Jackie today?  All worn out from moving.  Hope she has not overdone it, and caused excessive health problems.

Lloyd Hammond

Past my bedtime. I stayed at TV too long again.see you all in the morning. we got 4" of rain came hard with thunder and Lightning,some bad washing on the gravel roads. we Have a 18" tude under the end of our drive connecting to the county road, and water was more than it could cary so it made a second ditch about foot wide and six inches deep about a foot out in county road at the end of our driveway.I will have to hook up the road drag and work on it. good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  We got up and attem early this morning because Mickie had an urgent call so here I am fulfilling one thing on my list....checking in on my friends in the Soda Shoppe.  Trouble with that is that they aren't here yet.  So I won't cross that one off my list yet. 

And speaking of my list...I better get started on it or I won't get it finished today  So I hope you all have a good day!  Make it your own in every way!  And PLEASE come check in with your friends in the Soda Shoppe!  I'll be back!

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Beautiful morning here and I hope we don't get as hot as yesterday!
Today I have to finish up the mustard pickles ,then goodness knows what else will get done.

Jane, no our tomatoes are not coming fast enough for canning. I was told of a different way to make salsa and I wanted to try it out. Works perfect!! Just add vinegar, canned tomatoes (can use fresh if you have them) and a bit of this mix. There was a wee dab left over and will taste it later and let you know if it is worth making again.

Lloyd, looks as though you have your work cut out for you today...be safe please..

Jenny, I have a feeling that it will be an early winter and need to get things done up and put away for winter. Kyle really likes the mustard pickles ,beets and dill pickles. Better feed my trug man. :smitten:

Gloria, hope all is well there..

Better put an egg in my boot and beat it.......slept in again.

Enjoy your day everyone...stay safe..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Supposed to be a bit cooler today and I'm not minding that at all.  But, we will have the usual afternoon clouds and thunderstorms (maybe).  I have an appointment with the cardiologist this afternoon and I'm really not looking forward to it.  It has be rescheduled 3 times so I guess we will finally get it over with today.

Hope you are careful when you are out working on that ditch, Lloyd.  And, I am hoping that Shirley is OK.
 The storms through the Mid-West yesterday were fierce.  What a year this is for all kinds of disasters.

Take care, Everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Gloria

Good morning everyone, wow did I sleep late this morning, woke a t almost 10 and that eans I got to sleep almost the clock around. Amazing but guess I was so tired I needed all that sleep.

Yesterday we opened the small jar of refrigera ted pickles and they wer e nice and Crispy and not too salty. Very tasty. Yvette forgot to take her  jar of them home. We also made a Fresh French blueberry pie. I got that recipe  years ago from a Yankee magazine.  Use a baked shell and 2 cups of fresh berries are cooked, cooled a bit and the rest of the raw berriws added mand mixed in with the cooked ones. Chilled till firm and served with a bit of whipped cream. So good.

Had my coffee and past time for breakfast and get ready for  my favorite CNA to get here  at noon.
Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

good day , I just got up had the best night's sleep i have had in a long time. with just one nature call. is 78º now and saying is going for 82º today. hope you all have a good day. see you all Later.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria you were posting as i was typing, looks like we both have the same grading angle over our sleep. Have a great day as I hope we all do.

Lloyd

Joy

Good Morning.

I have missed a couple days.  But, everything is going along ok.  Just the same old-same old.

My grandson and his girlfriend and two of my great-grand daughters visited on Sunday.  We sat outside of my place and he had stopped at McDonalds, so we all had supper together.  That was the first time I had seen them since back in February.  The girls are getting so big.  The oldest one is 8 and the younger one is 5.  They are supposed to start back to school the 19th of this month, and they will be going to regular school. They got to a Montessori school and I think they have much smaller classes, so I guess they will be able to be separated ok.  I am still not so sure it is a good idea to start in school classes. But, I think it is being left up to each individual school districts as to what they do.  I am not sure what I would do if I had little ones right now.

Jane, I am so hungry for some good string beans.  However, I like to cook them with a smoked neck, and I don't even know if stores carry them anymore.  And, I  haven't even been going to the store anymore, since I get my groceries delivered now.  I guess I could call the store and ask.  My mother always used smoked neck and I think they give the beans such a good flavor.  I know sometimes they can be a little too fatty, but I still like them. 

I am going to see if my son can take me to a local farmers market this week end. I am hungry for a nice cantaloupe, too. The last two I have bought got rotten before they got ripe.  I really miss being able to just pick up and go myself.  Awful when you have to be dependent on other people, but I am grateful that most of the time, my family are great about getting me where I need to go.  My two DIL's take turns taking me to the doctor visits,  My two sons work so much, I have to plan ahead for their visits.

Sounds like everyone is doing as well as they can.  I am really getting cabin fever right about now. Just so hard knowing there is only certain things you can do.

Hope everyone is keeping well and will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

CallieOK

Good Morning,

My "Get Up And Go"....didn't want to this morning!  Maybe that's because I "exerted" myself doing errands and Domestic Duties yesterday.
 ("Exerted" being a relative term because I'm certainly at the absolutely lowest end of that scale compared to Amy, Janie, Shirley and all others who do more in one day than I ever did in about a week.  :smitten: )

Nothing else on the agenda today.  I plan on getting more pages laid out for the photo album #2 son requested for their 20th anniversary.  May have already mentioned ("intellectual interlude" here  :D) that he didn't get pix and supplies to me in time for the actual date.  So we're aiming for dil's birthday in September.

He and I have decided to have a "dinner date" every two weeks on the evening she gets her nails done.  We're taking turns providing dinner.  This week, it's his turn and I'm rather hoping he brings leftovers from a cookout they recently had for friends.

Hope Everyfriend finds something to Enjoy about today. 

angelface555

I have a new quiz in a different format. You can each post the answer to one question. Afterward, I'll open it up to more.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=182616

JaneS

Hello my friends!  I've gone back to making lists for what needs to be done daily.  I make them up before I go to bed and then I'm ready in the morning.  The pages usually turn out to be pretty long and I add things in pen when I think of them.  I'm happy if I get half of the list finished.  And some of the items I know I won't get done until the Farmers Market is open or my dr. appt is due. 

When I finish here, I'm going over and edit my list for tomorrow.  I don't take it off the computer; just make changes and print it for the next day.  It's not that I'm so organized.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  If I don't make a list, nothing gets done.

I started collecting tomatoes to can.  I have one quart in the freezer and when I watered the plants tonight, I noticed at least 5 to be picked in the morning. 

I'm really tired again tonight and I'm going to head for bed a bit early.  I sure hope I sleep better than I did the past few nights.  I sleep soundly and when I wake up I think, "Well I finally got a good night's sleep!"  Then I look at the clock and it's 1:30 or 2 a.m. and I can't get back to sleep. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to start things early!  Maybe I can make some progress! I wish you could buy energy at the grocery store and I wish they'd deliver it!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Tomereader1

Well, besides being semi-quarantined, my darn printer broke down.  I'm sure it deserves to, no telling how old it is.  I can see where the problem is, the little nylon belt that pulls the head back and forth has broken on both ends.  I couldn't get to it even if I could get a replacement.  Don't know that any of the computer fixing places even work on printers.  I actually have a new one, but I got it for when I get Windows 10, and I have no idea how to hook it up, and it might not even work with my old Windows operating system.  Ho, hum.  Just another day in the neighborhood, Mr. Rogers!  You know, if we could get one friend and go someplace
(like a movie, museum) it would sure lessen the depression.  But none of those wonderful places are open.  Not even the libraries still.  Now with the Cities coming in with their new budgets, funding for the arts and libraries are being cut do to all the spending on this Cov-19.  :( 

Lloyd Hammond

good night everyone.see you all tomorrow. sweet dreams

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, going to be HOT today, already 75 at  4:30am. So glad I do not have to go outside. Got my new slow coo yesterday, now to fing something in my freezer  to use it today. That or send Yvette to the market for a nice roast beef, I have the veggies to go with it.

LLOYD  always great when we have a good night's sleep. Yesterday I sure did and last night, too, and woke early and feel great this morning.

JOY  I know just how you are feeling, same thing here. I did go to my grandson's home on July 4th, first time I was away from since this all started.  There was 9 of us all outside and kept our distance.

CALLIE  I think I do less than anyone else in here. I take care of me and that is all. Thank goodness for Yvette and her coming here 5 times a week.

JANE  if I made a list for anything I would forget it. Next time you wake up during the night just shut your eyes and turn over and go back to sleep without looking at the clock. Remember you are retired now and do not have to get up and go to work. Like you I wish I could get energy and also an appetite.

TOMEREADER  My printer needs ink but it is an old one, too. Had it with Windows 7 and it just went right onto Windows 10. No problem.

AMY  I hope you can take it easy today.

Have a good day and stay safe nd cool.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Another lovely day here. We did have some thunder and a splash of rain yesterday. Did get 15 jars of pickles done but not put away yet.
Today we are off to the city,Kyle did have an appointment but they phoned and cancelled it to a later date. Since we did have the day planned we are going to go and do what needs to be done. I have a list from friends that we will pick up for them.

Gloria, yes today is another day of rest :thumbup: will enjoy the day away.

Enjoy your day everyone and stay safe..  /color]
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning Gloria and AMY and all that follow. Gloria glad you had good sleep.
I did not another restless night for me.did not get the good sleep like i did night before last. so most likely have another nap in front of T V today. Nancy did not rest good either and she blames me for keeping her awake. I guess we need to get twin single beds.But I like to snuggle even with out Making love at My age (83 the 27th of this month) Have a good day everyone.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

back it is 67º and partly cloudy and calling for 84 for the high here, but it most likely beat that for the high.

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's already 70º here this morning and heading for a high of 89!  I'm not looking forward to that.  If Cooper  was here to keep Mickie company, I think I'd take off to do my outside errands early!  He's coming but probably not until around 10 or so. 

I have kitchen plans for today including cleaning out one cupboard and the fridge.  And now that I've told you that, I have to get it done.  As soon as the boinger goes off and Mickie and I have our breakfast and I read the paper, I'll be getting started.  And by that time, Cooper will probably be here and I can do the outside errands.  I think Frankie is spending the night here because I have a very early appt with the Kinesiologist tomorrow.  My son has an appt to so he'll drive and we'll go together.  Frankie will go to work from here and leave Cooper with Mickie.  Works out good for all of us.

I wish you all a pleasant day!  Make it your own in every way!  And don't forget to share it with your friends in the Soda Shoppe!

phyllis

My appointment with the cardiologist yesterday went well even with the changed routine for check-in and waiting room protocol.  It is just a matter of learning a new way of doing things.  But, it is so difficult for me to understand what people are saying to me because masks are covering their mouths and I can't see what they are saying.  I have my hearing aid turned up as high as it will go and I still can't hear the words.  Thank goodness, it helped some to have David along with me to be my "ears".   I think my hearing issues keep me isolated more  than the anxiety over C-19 does.  It is embarrassing to ask people constantly to repeat what they are telling me.

Today will be more of the same since I have a dental appointment.  I hope I can soon get used to the way things are done in this "new world".  <sigh> 

Take care, Everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Phyllis,  I have the same issue with not understanding what people say when I can't see their mouths - even with my hearing aids turned up.  Places I went the other day had shields in front of the clerks and they did pull their mask down to repeat.  I still had an issue because of the barrier. 

Good news to report this morning is that Miss Ellen has arrived safely at her NYC apartment.  The plane was about half full on the OKC - St. Louis flight and there were only 30 people on the flight from SL to La Guardia.  She said they were "health checked" and handed papers to fill out on the ramp when they got off in NYC.  That didn't take long and the Lyft driver was waiting by the time she's gotten her bags.
She'll have to quarantine for 2 weeks but is prepared and looking forward to being in the city she now calls home.

Off to find something useful to do....or not.  ;)

Hope Everyfriend finds something Enjoyable about today.

Denver

A Good Day wish for EVERYFRIEND.

Yesterday was our #3 grandsons 12 Birthday so we did get to join the family for a little celebration.  It sure was good to see them all.  We picked the oldest grandson up from his tennis practice.  He is trying out for his high school tennis team since football has been cancelled.  He will find out tomorrow if he will make the team. 

The quick synopsis from Michele's test results today  are over all very good.  One spot shows a marginal amount of growth, but oncologist feels it is not significant enough to worry about .  She will return in three weeks to learn what the new plan of maintenance chemo will be.  Of course she wanted to hear "you are clear of cancer" but we all know that is sadly more than likely never going to happen, so we must be thankful for anything that sounds positive.  She again was told that she will be on some kind of chemo for the rest of her life, and those are hard words to swallow after all she has been through😩😢  I ask for your continued positive thoughts and prayers and thank you for prayers in the past. 🙏

I hope you all are able to finish up all of the projects you had planned for the day.

Have a good one.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

CallieOK that kind of mask defeats what they are trying to do,but old age is what dose the hearing seeing and other defencheny problems with our functions. I do not want to let all the wend out of your sails. Have a good rest of the day.

Lloyd

Amy

Going to call it a night, trip to the city was good got what we needed and hurried home. Ran items over to the neighbour and our friends from up north came down and picked their "stuff" up.

Callie, my neighbour lip reads and masks are a big problem for her. The ones that Bubble posted are better at least you can see and lip read. I made her masks that have the ties on them as the other ones with the elastic are a bother with her hearing aid.

Good night...sleep tight...
Jimmy Dean