Random Image

Ford

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

SUBJECT: Soda Shoppe for October 15, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, October 14, 2020, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

What a crazy day yesterday was!  I found a company that would come to my driveway and remove the mold in my car and he came very early yesterday morning.  He did a good job cleaning the entire inside of the car.  Unfortunately, the mold left a slight staining on the light gray leather seats that can't be removed but it isn't bad and now the car is healthy to ride in again.

To add to everything else...night before last, around 2 a.m. the upstairs hallway smoke alarm went off and it is LOUD!  David and I both went looking for smoke or fire all through the house clear down through the basement.  The alarm is hardwired into the house electricity so we couldn't just pull the battery out and we couldn't find the circuit breaker that would turn it off so it was going off for the rest of the night and not much sleeping was going on.  I called the electrician early yesterday morning and he came out pretty quickly.  He replaced the the smoke alarm and all is quiet again but I can tell you I was really, really tired last night.  I slept straight through the night...don't think I moved an inch.

I'll have to make an online grocery order today....we are running out of milk and a couple of other necessities.  But, other than that, I don't plan to do much.  I have some dried pinto beans.  They might be good made in the Instant Pot.  I did some Onion Rings in the Air Fryer last night and with some major adjustment to the temperature and length of cooking time they turned out very good.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

My first Scottish Terrier was named Callie.  It's a good old fashioned Scottish name.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Jane,  house is beginning to smell so good. I have finally got the meat loaf in  the oven along with a crooked neck squash. Took me a while to get at it but can't wait for supper time now and the meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow. David sent me photos from WV......beautiful country!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Carol

Busy days here - Don was in hospital for 4 days and still recuperating.  I just made a list for groceries - pick up and after all that effort, everything disappeared.  Crum Bum!  Heavy sky now from mountain fires.  We checked on our old place by Grand Lake also son's former house.  They may all be burnt from our search so far - we sold our place and son sold his so we do not have that terrible chore.  It has to be so disheartening to the owners. 

We voted by mail - it is certainly safer than standing in line.  I have never heard of any problems in previous years. 

I ordered salt for our north facing driveway - it is slanted so it can be slippery. 

Take care everyone!   

JaneS

My yard is gorgeous now. Since my son has taken on a third job at his store, he just plain doesn't have time to do it any more.  I called a guy that did some work for me before and he mowed, trimmed the edges, got rid of all the trees that were trying to shove their way in and trimmed all the bushes that needed trimming.  It looks better than ever and I think I'm just going to make a deal with him for next summer and be done with the hassle.

I also made it to the Amish store and I literally "shopped til I dropped".  This must be the first time I've been shopping since before I broke my arm in March!  They were out of some of the crucial stuff for my candy making but I got all the chocolate and PB an coconut and I can get the rest of what I need at WM.  It'll cost a bit more but not too much.

I do understand why Cathy said "be careful".  At the beginning of the Pandemic, this store put up a sign that they would not require masks and they would not make their employees wear them.  It caused quite a stir in these little country towns.  They reversed that decision but I noticed that almost all the masks on the customers except for the old people were under their chins and at least half the employees were around their necks.  I don't think I'll make another trip there very soon. It's not worth the risk.

AMY, West Virginia is beautiful!  It's all mountains and rivers and country roads. 

Now I'm going to take the doggies out for a short walk.  it's almost time for Cooper's "mommy" to pick him up and it might save her a walk as soon as she gets home.  Enjoy the rest of your day!

JaneS

Well, I'm the last poster at around 4 p.m. and here I am again!

I just wanted to let you know that my beans are soaking on their overnight soak after being washed and sorted as directed.  I must admit that after all these years of cooking, I still don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for when I "sort" the beans.  They all look exactly the same to me and they don't seem to have any spots or blemishes.  And this isn't just now while my eyesight is not the best.  I felt the same about beans when I could see well without glasses.  Just exactly what is it I should be looking for when I sort?? 

I forgot to mention earlier that they had JARS at the Amish store with a limit of one box per customer.  I got my one box.  Now I have to can more stuff!

I wish you all a peaceful nights sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one.

P.S. I've been listening to the debate and so far neither candidate has said anything to make me change my mind!

Denver

Just finished watching the presidential debate. 

Once again I must say I do not know where the days go, but I seem to always be behind!

It was a dark and dreary day here and I was chilled all day long.  We have another Granddoodle Dog staying with us.  Oliver is such a good boy and we enjoy having him here.

The fires continue to grow by leaps and bounds.  The worse one right now is near the Rocky Mountain National Park area near Estes Park.  The skies are frightening looking.  We have been told we will be having some rain and snow in the next couple of days and I 🙏🙏 it will be enough to help slow these fires out. 

The refrigerator is doing a great job of cooling again...thank goodness.  What a crazy nightmare that ordeal was.

Michele had chemo yesterday and we are anxious for the scans they hope to do soon will prove that this maintenance chemo has been doing a good job of keeping those tumors under control🙏🙏🙏

LLOYD, I Hope you are feeling stronger each day and getting plenty of rest.

Do any of you watch the cooking shows on FaceBook?  I have been watching Brenda Gantt from Andalusia Alabama quite a few times now and I have learned so many neat things and recipes.  She talks and sounds just like a cousin of Bob's from Birmingham.  The other one I like to watch is from Louisana.  I can not think of her name right now, but again I have learned a few new things to fix. 

I hope EVERYFRIEND is doing well and pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Gloria

Good morning everyone, boy I am glad that check up yesterday is over for another year. Started with the fire alarm going off from the main box in the foyer. So darn loud I was thinking I wish I had those ear muffs to deaden sound. Then when they came in here they tested the ones I have in here and when they got through the apartments they tested the alarms again from down stairs and wish I had gone outside before they started that hour of loud noise. Just the noise wore me out.
  I was so tired last night I was in bed a little after 8 and woke at  6 this morning. Forgot about the debate and I did want to watch it .

SHIRLEY  the alarms here are hooked into the electricity, no batteries.

AMY  my great grand has some cute masks and does not mind wearing one. They are all washable. Better than throwing them away all the time.

PHYLLIS  those dectors can be a pain when they go off in the middle of the night. Happened to me twice and it is frightening.

JANE  when I was still at home I was helping my Mom withchecking the beans and asked what I was looking for. Before she answered I found a small stone and no one wants to bite into that and break a tooth.  They used to have what she called worm holes, they were thrown away. I think they are much cleaner now. Glad you got some jars.

JENNY  watching the news at 6 yesterday they showed all the smoke in your state, terrible.

About time for my second cup of coffee.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Temp is 48° and we are not to have rain till around 10 pm so they say.

Little jobs are on the menu today. Need to do a bit of sewing and laundry while I am downstairs and that should be it.

Jane, I was looking in Amazon and a case of Bernardin  pints is  $69.03  :yikes: Now if that is not price gouging I don't know what is......I paid under 7.00 in the Spring but the last ones were 11.49.

Gloria, loud sounds like that bother Babe. She will start to shake all over  and hug tight to you.

Jenny, happy to read you have you fridge fixed!! Pray that the results are what Michele and everyone wants to see.  Give Oliver a hug for me please.

Carol, hope Don is feeling much better each day.

Phyllis, wonder if peroxide  would take the stain away?? I find the beans cook   in the IP no baby/bean sitting them :)),

Lloyd, hope today is a good day for you.

Better get a move on.

Take care and stay safe.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS Look for small gravel's in the bean's. Nancy found a piece of gravel in some of ours the other day. I planted a pineal top in a flower pot, But don't look like it is Making it. I also plated some charnels of Indian corn. the Indian corn is up but is tall like grass so far. may get tall May not have room for it, we will see. Have a good day. we are getting light steady raid, they say we will get thunder storms before the day is over. I am doing pretty good. No school here today so maybe I can enjoy the grand children today. I love all of the four children, But the tow year old comes and jumps on my lap and says candy and watch the bear. we watch grizzly Addams. Have a great day.

Lloyd

phyllis

I have twice found small pieces of gravel in dried beans but that is all.  I still look very carefully when I rinse them.  I put the pinto beans in the IP yesterday and they came out nice.  I took a couple of cups and made refried beans for dinner last night and they were very good.  I have saved the rest for something else.....maybe some soup, perhaps a pot of chilli?  That would be good if the weather ever cools down again.  I may just put them in the freezer to have them on hand for later in the winter.

You are sounding better, Lloyd.  Take it easy and enjoy those grandchildren.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Interesting about the beans!  I've never found anything but beans.  And I don't think I could have overlooked a stone.

LLOYD, nice to see you posting and doing such interesting things.  Keep up the recuperating until you are well.

JENNY, Michele is still in my prayers...today with a bit of pressure on my part for Him to look after her.

We had an absolutely beautiful day yesterday.  The temp reached 80º and with the breeze, it was just a glorious day to be out.  It was almost dark when I took Mickie for her last walk without my jacket and the little boys down the street were still out practicing football with their daddy while mommy watched from the porch steps.  It was a day no one wanted to have end! Today is a bit on the cloudy side but not cold.

Now I have another question.  If I do these beans in the crockpot, are they on low or high and for how long?

Actually, I have them in the crockpot on low but I don't know how long to leave them or if I should turn it up.

Amy

Jane found this..

Cover, and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, stirring occasionally if possible, though not necessary.

I think Phyllis would have a closer answer for you though..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Yes, PHYLLIS and I think GLORIA said she does them in the crock pot.  Helloooooo!  Come on back!

phyllis

Jane, if I do them in the crockpot I will do them on high for at least 6-7 hours.  Sometimes old beans will take longer and if you like them a little mushy that takes longer, too.  I never pre-soak them...just rinse and dump them in the pot.  All crockpots are different so you will have to just test yours.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Quote from: Amy on October 21, 2020, 06:30:14 PMCallie is missing..
:peepwall:

Quote from: Shirley on October 22, 2020, 07:27:54 AMAmy, every time I skim past the posts & see your, "Callie is missing"... I do a double take. MY Callie is sticking like glue by the toe warmer below the sink. I have to insist she go out now & then for a little exercise. She swoops around the pool & dashes back in the door if I don't get it closed fast enough.

:cat:  Meow!

Quote from: JaneS on October 22, 2020, 09:03:20 AMMy first Scottish Terrier was named Callie.  It's a good old fashioned Scottish name.
:dogrunning: Woof

It was also the nickname of my 100% German grandmother whose name began with a "K". :winkie:

I've been reading along but have kinda been in a "mood" the past few weeks.  Eye pressure is creeping toward glaucoma and prescribed eye drops aren't comfortable. 
Went to eye doctor yesterday.  Pressure hadn't changed so guess I have to get used to yet another annoying issue. Bleah! :buck2:

I hadn't been able to find tomato bisque soup for ever so long and neither had son who had been looking every place they went to get groceries.
Placed a delivery order earlier this week and saw it listed as "available" so, of course, ordered some.  When shopper called to say he'd found everything on my list except type of cake mix (for which I chose a substitute), I asked "Even tomato bisque soup?"  When he said, Yes", I asked him to get two more cans.  Am now well-stocked with my favorite and really enjoyed some for lunch.

It was nearly 80º yesterday.  Today - it's 45º and "feels like" 34º. Also gloomy.  Heavy sweatshirt and long socks feel good!

All is well - although I do wish the weather would make up its mind and news media/newspapers would Change. The. Subject  >:( !!!!! 

Hugs to everyone.
[

Amy

The little jobs did get done along with some that were going to be done tomorrow. Windows washed, orchids transplanted and a mini rose. Garbage was taken away and laundry
was finished.
Callie, my sister has to go each month for a needle in her eye, she really amazes me at the calm she has while getting the proceedure done.

Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Thank goodness that has not been mentioned...yet.

Shirley

You made me hungry for a pot of beans, my preferred are the pintos & I bought some ham hocks for flavor (no shanks in the bin). Plenty of fresh chopped garlic in mine. I'll cook mine in the pressure cooker, doesn't take too long (can't say HOW long)....

We went from record breaking temp of 87° yesterday to high of 42° today... depends on which weather guesser you check! Certainly is cold out, Gloria, why is it WE like winter????  I need a nap but will do that after I eat my hamburger (drive thru at McDonald's)...

Callie, has your eye doctor put the holes in your eyes relieve the pressure yet?  Both Cas & our daughter had that done (one in Seattle & other in Wichita) same time "to prevent glaucoma "because their eyes are deep set". Medicare must have approved since both had it done same time & not the same doctor (she had company insurance). I thought it was a scam, a good friend had it done by her doctor & she has huge eyes and really does have glaucoma. My problem is finding a doctor that will actually fit the glasses to my eyes & not just guess.  >:(

Amy

Shirley,our weather was perfect today with temperatures  over 70 but now we are paying for it. Some areas have a tornado warning while another has huge hail!
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Shirley, the eye doctor, who is an opthamalogist not an optomitrist (sp? on both), has taken care of my eyes for a many years.  He did cataract surgery on both eyes several  years ago and I have an annual check-up that's very thorough.
The pressure began to concern him at that appointment in September because there's a family history of glaucoma. 
He has given me a pamphlet describing a 10-minute office laser procedure that opens the tear ducts (which seems to be the main problem). The recovery time takes longer than I want to spend right now because I have tentatively agreed to go with family to Emily's graduation in December and I don't want to take a chance on side effects or still having to deal with recovery.
The drops are annoying but doable...just as my other health issues are.  Nothing life threatening.

Amy,  evening weather forecast is for a mix of rain/snow/sleet/small hail for the next week - but no tornadoes....yet.

Timer just went off; A chicken/stovetop stuffing casserole is about ready to come out of the oven.  I'll have some for dinner and then put the rest in individual casseroles to freeze.  Will be good for "dinner and lunch dates" with sons.

Enjoy your evenings, Everyfriend.   

Shirley

Callie, I've gone to an ophthalmologist for more than 30 years, retired 2 & have had awful fitting glasses from 2 more since, and a friend suggested maybe they didn't know as much about fitting glasses as the optometrists so I went to one (optometrist) this year. That was when we went through all the hub-bub about cataract surgery... long story... The glasses she prescribed were great if I only opened one eye at a time, could see perfectly out of each! BUT, when I opened both the door facings & all perpendicular lines became curved. They remade glasses & it was worse so I am wearing some made 3 or 4 years old. Can't see as well with them but I'm not willing to put a patch over one eye to see out of the new glasses. My fear is the surgeon willing/insisting on me using a med that I am on record being allergic to and then back to glasses... if they can't fit me now would it be any better after cataract surgery??? Maybe I'll die first & don't have to deal with it???  Not good choices! I'm pretty good about stalling....

JaneS

Well, I made the beans with splotchy help.  I put them in the crockpot (soaked, drained and simmered first) set it on low and decided it wouldn't be ready for supper that way so I turned it on high.  They were absolutely delicious.  However, I've made a note on the recipe that Phyllis doesn't presoak.  Just puts them in the crockpot.  Does this mean you don't do the simmering either?  You must put more liquid in them than my recipe calls for if you don't simmer or soak them first.

Today was the second day in a row that it was just gorgeous out there.  I didn't need a coat to walk with Mickie even at 6:30 with the sun going down!  I'll take the next 4 months of days like this! I even slept with the windows open last night and it felt goooood!

I did a lot of paper work today and washed all the throw rugs and the floors under them and beside them.  I'm ready for a loooooong nap!  Sure hope those zzzzzs are piled up in my bed.

I have to do the eye drops too and as CALLIE says, it's annoying but it lets me lead a (more or less) normal life and we do what we must.

Now I'm off to hit the hay!  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow. And may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. It is 37º and cloudy here calling for high of 49 and sunny. well there is is a old saying if you do not like the weather here weigh a short while it will change, Have a great day.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning everyone...

What a night we had last night pounding rain along with thunder and lightening. Poor Babe she shivered most of the night. Today is work outside if weather cooperates.

Patricia, where are you?

Better get laundry on the go...

Lloyd good morning to you.

Enjoy your day everyone , stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm up and (hopefully) attem this morning.  We're supposed to have rain and it sure looks like it will do as it promises out there. I guess two beautiful days in a row is a blessing to be thankful for and appreciated as it comes.

Cathy has my WM shopping list for today and I have to go to the recycling place this morning.  I'm hoping to get that in before Cooper comes at 10:30 and Cathy comes by for my discount card and other stuff. 

Then I have to deal with the beans.  I think it was GLORIA that said she freezes them.  I was thinking I might freeze them in meal size containers (after I eat some more of them).  If any of you have frozen them please let me know how the survived!

AMY, I don't think our storms are supposed to be thunder storms but you can never tell.

There goes the boinger and my day begins!  Have a good one everyone!

Shirley

Jane, I do freeze but they hardly get solid before I'm pulling the tubs out. I use meal size (I like a good meal). The ham shanks have more meat & give the same flavor as the hocks, but not so much fat. Good protein meals!  I always boil them about 15 min and pour that water off... my mother's idea that it gets rid of the "gas". I use about a T of salt to a pound of beans but don't put it in until after the first water is poured off. I didn't like beans until after tasting my mother-in-law's meals.... pinto beans, fresh cut coleslaw, fried potatoes & the lightest biscuits anyone ever made. Lots of times she would have fried chicken with the meal. She wasn't too fond of beef.

Cold morning 37° , no rain, sun isn't up but looks totally cloud covered. Another week end, can you believe?

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. you all were talking about eating yesterday. here is a thought for you; we have a device that peals and cores appeals at the same time slices them about 1/8 thick spirals. we cut the spirals in slices. we also have a dehydrator. dehydrates them over night . good snacks and healthy. Have a great day.

Lloyd

phyllis

Jane, no, I don't simmer the beans and I don't add more water than the recipe calls for.  I just rinse and dump them in the pot, put in the amount of liquid that is required plus seasonings, etc., and start the pot cooking.  I'll check it through the day and if it needs more water I'll just add a little or, conversely, if there is too much liquid I'll just dip a little out.  It is very forgiving.  As for freezing....I just spoon the cool beans into a Ziploc bag, lay it on a tray and flatten it as much as I can and freeze it.  They turn out just fine.  Beans freeze very well.

Lloyd, I have that same kind of apple peeler.  It saves a lot of work when making applesauce.  I haven't used the dehydrator for a long, long time.  Here in very humid North Carolina it takes a little longer for things to dry but we always liked the result of dehydrated food.

Speaking of humidity....it is still with us as a result of Hurricane Epsilon(?) out in the Atlantic.   It's causing rip currents on the Outer Banks and bringing in moisture off the ocean to the rest of us.  Hope it moves away before a new one starts up.  <sigh> 

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Sandy

Good Sunday Morning  from
the over cast and cool,  rocky
coast of Maine.   

I avoid cooking show like the
plague ...  (especially Covid 19) ...

I still  have pounds and pounds to
eliminate ...  which is still not
easy ,  but do able, if I would