Random Image

My Granddaughters Flower Garden!

Owner: JaneS
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

SUBJECT: Soda Shoppe for October 15, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, October 14, 2020, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

The  wind has not let up here..laundry is ready to come in, thank goodness it didn't tangle or blow off the line!

Pine needles have all been bagged up ready for the garbage dump, must have 11 big bags of them to go.

Sandy, so easy to put weight on but not to take it off.

Gloria, hope you are also ok.

Lloyd, I also have one of those peelers and a dehydrator too. Thank you for giving me the push to do some apples that way. My friend and I are splitting a bushel of apples that her son bought for us.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Thank you, Phyllis for the quick answer about freezing and for the tip about baking and no presoaking.  I added all your tips to the recipe for the next time.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JaneS

Also, thanks SHIRLEY for the tips about freezing and for reminding me that ham is just as good as bacon in baked beans....maybe a tad better.  My mother used to use ham!

Lloyd Hammond

Thanks friends. and the dehydrator is well worth the time it takes and it is a healthy snack. we Shure enjoy them. see you all Later.

Lloyd

JaneS

Thank you LLOYD.  At least I'm not talking to myself again.

I had a mealoaf sandwich and beans for supper!

I'm worn out today and I'm heading for the haystack to look for the zzzzzs.  I sure hope there's lots of them there!  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one.

Shirley

I'll turn out the lights... too tired to whisper "good night"......ah, I did!!! Love ya all.

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Shirley , I will turn the lights back on and start the coffee going.

Chilly here 26° at the moment . We just have to take all the bags of pine needles to the dump and that is it. Nothing else has been planned for the day. Will drop off some masks while we are out.

Jane, how were your beans?

Phyllis, humidity is not a problem here .snow may be one tomorrow though. With any luck it will warm up and maybe just get rain , that we don't have to shovel!

Hope we hear from Gloria, Patricia and Joy today.

Enjoy your day everyone..stay safe.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning AMY and everyone that follow. it is 40º and cloudy here this Morning high of 42º predicted for today. oh yes they are predicting snow here after midnight. Hope you all have a great day.

Lloyd

phyllis

Rain coming in and cooler temps. so the joints aren't too happy this morning but a cup of coffee has helped perk me up.

I was going to freeze the last of the pinto beans but decided about an hour before dinner last night to make some soup so just dumped them in the Instant Pot, added some seasonings, beef broth, diced tomatoes, turned it on for few minutes and had some really good soup.  Hot and comforting.  David liked it a lot...enough for a second full bowl. 

I plan to just relax today and do some reading.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Gloria

Good morning once again. Yesterday I was ready to post when the power went off and when it came back was late and lost the post of course. This morning same thing happened and it came on faster. Nothing new happening here. I am going to my son's home for dinner today, maybe my DIL will cut my hair while I am there.

In the winter months when the stove was on for heat my Mom baked her beans in the oven. So good and she used salt pork. I started doing mine the way she made them-never any molasses- just white sugar and they were nice and brown. I started doing mine in a pressure cooker but now in the slowcooker/crockpot what ever you want to call it. I have never soaked them or preboiled them. I put them in the slowcooker at night with water covering them about 3 inches set it on low and let them cook overnight. Since I do not eat a whole pound of beans I do freeze them in meal size containers. Just as good when thawed and warmed up.

Have a good day everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  My morning took off today.  I overslept until about 7:15.  It's cold and the blankets felt good and Mickie wasn't even stirring.  It was down to 33 overnight.  Still not a frost.

When I got up and got myself ready to meet the day, Mickie decided she better join me.  We made the bed and then punched the button on the coffee pot and went out in the yard.  It was brrrrrr cold!

When we came back in Mickie got her pill and we set the timer and I got started making the dog food.  She hung around the kitchen so she could lick the spoon.  Then we checked the email and it was time for breakfast.  I started reading the paper while I ate and then we took a walk and here we are.  Boring isn't it?  But busy!

My Grandson-in-law is delivering the sermon at their church in Houston today and I'm set up so I can watch the service and listen to Clint.  He's pretty good and while he's working on his PHD at the university and teaching some classes, he's leaning a bit toward the ministry.  I think he'd be very good at it.  And Natalie as a Psychologist would be a great right hand helper.  She already does more than lots of people at their church.  Can you tell I'm proud?

PHYLLIS, I think I just figured out what to do with some of the beans.  I'm going to make some Inspiration Soup!

Now I better get back to business.  I want to get some laundry in before the church service starts.

I wish you all a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!
And don't forget to share it with your friends in the Soda Shoppe.  We miss you!

Joy

I can't say Good morning, anymore, so I will just greet you all with a Hello

I have been missing for a while, but I am ok.

Just so tired of all this mess that is still going on.  I am afraid that it will still be going on for a while to come.

I did read back and got caught up.

I had an appointment yesterday with the eye doctor, and, I will have to finally go for cataract surgery.  I knew it was coming, sooner or later. I will have both eyes done, about a month apart. From what I hear from friends, it is a pretty easy procedure. I know you have to use eye drops for a while, and I am sure my DIL can come in the morning to help me, not so sure if I can have someone come in the evening.

So, I think it was Jane and Callie who mentioned that they have to use eye drops, and I am wondering if it is something you can do without help????  I do have one of those eye drop "cups" but have never used it before.  Is it a self-do-it-yourself "thing" ??  I guess I should practice.  ??  I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

It is a cloud, hazy day, and a lot colder. I see it is lunch time already, so I need to find something to eat.

Hope everyone will have a great afternoon and stay safe.

Joy
BIG BOX

JaneS

JOY, putting in the eye drops isn't one of the easiest things I do mostly because I have a touch of claustrophobia and something coming at my eyes really bothers me.  But I told myself it's something I CAN do and I do it!  Like you, I can't count on someone coming to help me and if they did, I think that would bother the claustrophobia a lot more than doing it myself.  But I can't do it without a mirror in front of me.  We all learn to do what we must whether we want to our not!  This is something I HAD to learn to do and you will, too!

And they're right!  It is an easy surgery!

CallieOK

Joy, I don't have an issue pulling my eye down but do have a bit of one getting the dropper placed so the drop goes in.  The directions say don't let the dropper touch the eye but I almost always have to come really close.  Prescription should have suggestions for applying.
Hadn't thought about an eye cup - will have to ask pharmacist or doctor about using one for the prescribed "one drop".

Janie, I don't have that kind of claustrophobia but do start to panic if I'm expected to lie flat on my back with something over me that I can't get out of unless a tech - who is usually in another room - releases me.  I managed to get through a thyroid scan but needed the tech to stand beside me.  Doubt that I'll ever agree to an MRI or CAT scan unless they knock me out completely.  Makes me shudder just to write about it!

I agree that cataract surgery is easy.

Weather gurus say a Polar front followed by an Arctic front is barreling toward Oklahoma and most of the coming week will be very wintery.  I've unhooked the outdoor hoses, covered the faucets, filled the bird feeder and "laid in" groceries and supplies. Also have plenty of e-books and Netflix programs available.
Bring it on!!!!! 

Wishing Everyfriend an Enjoyable Day.

Tomereader1

I always pre-soak my beans.  The "floaters" come to the top and any loose "skins", so you can get those out of the way.  Pre-soak just helps them be more tender, and probably less cooking time.  Of course, if all you "techies" have InstantPots, you don't have to worry about that.  I have yet to even open the box on my CrockPot Express Multi-Cooker.  It functions as a crockpot for slow cooking, a steamer and as a pressure cooker. Can't decide if I want to open the box and give it a try.  Then I will have to find a good home for my Rice Cooker and my trusty Crockpot, which is just the right size for me.  Have made some dandy meals in it.
I am verging on getting a headache this morning.  Think it's my allergies, which have been awful lately. 
I was trying to watch the Cowboys v. Washington football game, but the "boys" are playing so badly, I switched over to Steelers v. Texans.  Love the Steelers; and I even have a "Terrible Towel" if any of you remember those.  I am too fickle with my favorite football teams.  I love the Packers, the Steelers, the Saints and the Cowboys. That's mainly because of the players, not specifically the team.  I used to be enamored with the Patriots, but when they traded Brady, I went Pffftt to them.  Really have gotten into the World Series.  That game last night was a doozey.  Rooting for the Tampa Bay team, as they haven't won as much as the Dodgers.  I was so "off of sports" they didn't have any in the early shutdown, except Golf, but I'm getting back into viewing, cheering for my favs.
Back to beans, if you can get the 15 Bean brand (I'll have to look up the name) but with addition of some ham (or bacon, or salt pork) they are a meal in themselves, with a hunk of buttered cornbread. Oh, yum, I've made myself hungry.

Sandy

Good Sunday Afternoon to you
all. 

I come from a family of taller,
slenderer humans.    I am the
only one in my family who
put on weight going into
my senior years.   

My four kids and six grand childen
(plus Fe "Great Grand kid" )  are all
in great shape.   Slender, tall and Fit. 
except for me,  so I tend to
feel sorry for my self,  because
I can't blame genes

I just tended to live an
over indulging, binging life style
and ate myself to becoming
 over weight.

My Fault.   I have no one
or nothing to blame.     (weep)

:'(
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Tomereader1

The brand of beans is Hurst Hambeens, they are available at WalMart or various delivery outlets; the Cajun variety is simply awesome, and you can use the cajun spice packet if you want, or leave it out. 

Joy

Jane and Callie, 

Thank you both for the suggestions for using the eye drops and I feel like it is something that I think I can manage.  I probably wouldn't have thought to use a mirror, but that's a great idea. And, I just bought a  big mirror on a stand and it has one side that is magnified.   I do feel a lot easier now.

Callie, I don't have any problem with being claustrophobic, but I can understand what would make you feel like that.  Those kind of tubes you have to go in aren't the most comfortable, but I have had so many of so many different kinds, that they don't bother me anymore. They all seem to have shortened the time that you have to be in then. I have even dosed off sometimes.

I have to think about what to have for dinner.  Getting close to that time.

Have a good evening.
BIG BOX

JaneS

Just a quickie for CALLIE, when using fingers to pull down the eye for the drops, I aim the bottle and then rest it on the fingers that I'm using to pull down the eyelid before I put my head back.  That's the main reason I need a mirror.  If you can manage to move everything at the same time, it works pretty well.  Do you even understand that?

We're having some rain now and it's supposed to keep up most of the night and most of tomorrow.  That'll be fun...walking the dogs in the rain.  But I do it and they don't seem to mind.

Now I'm off to the haystack.  It's been a kind of strange day.  I'd get started on something and have an interruption and then forget what I was doing.  I suppose I'll find all kinds of undone stuff tomorrow.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

I wish you all a peaceful nights sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow and may God bless us, every one.

CallieOK

Quote from: JaneS on October 25, 2020, 11:10:10 PMJust a quickie for CALLIE, when using fingers to pull down the eye for the drops, I aim the bottle and then rest it on the fingers that I'm using to pull down the eyelid before I put my head back.  That's the main reason I need a mirror. 

Works like a charm..including the mirror!! Thank you!  :smitten:

Lloyd Hammond

good morning everyone. it is 35º and only calling for 2º increase today. wish we had our RV up and running, we would just get in it and go to Florida for the winter. so will just stay and dream with the rest of you. Have a good day.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning everyone.

We will get either rain or flurries today ,temp is 31° at the moment.

Jane, perfect instructions for doing eye drops!!

Lloyd, we are happy to have you here dreaming along with us :)

Better get a move on time is going faster than I am this morning.

Enjoy your day everyone..stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning from rainy Central PA.  We're supposed to have rain all day.  That doesn't stop the dogs from wanting their walks.  Sooooo, we walk in the rain.

I hesitated about putting those suggestions into writing for eye drops.  I'm so glad you could understand them!  And I'm glad they work for you.  Sometime what works for one doesn't work for another.

We're just sitting here waiting for the boinger.  Then we'll have breakfast and our first wet walk.  Then Cooper will arrive for the day.  And I'm not sure about the rest of the day.  I have a couple of phone calls to make and supper to put in the crock pot and then we shall see.

I hope you all have a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!

And don't forget to share it!  We miss you when we don't "see" you!

Gloria

Good morning everyone, slept great last night a whole 8 hours and still didn't want to get up but mama Nature said you better. So here I am with my coffee in the SS to see what this "family" has been up to.

JANE  looks like you hated to get up yesterday morning, too. Always nice and warm and so comfortable in bed when we first wake. I think if you were more proud of your family members you would be popping your buttons. I wish them both the best in their lives.

JOY  cataract surgery is easy. I blink when I see drops coming toward my eyes, even my eye doctor has a problem with me. I went down stairs to have my DIL put the drops in my eyes, I do not have the strenght in my fingers to squeeze the hard bottles. There were drops before and after the surgery.

CALLIE  they do have MRI machines that are open, my CNA has to go to one of those. My biggest complaint is that they are loud. I would rather have a CAT scan, not all enclosed and less noise.

LLOYD  like you this year I wonder how I will be with winter. I always loved winter but wonder if I will enjoy snow this year. At least I will not have to go out then. I make no appointments for the winter months.

AMY  takes me longer every day to post here. Need a new keyboard as this one skips spaces and I have to keep checking and backspacing to make the letter go where they are supposed to.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

It's cloudy and dreary today but not raining.  Yesterday was really dismal.  Not much going on except laundry so I'll just stay in and stay warm and dry.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

hello everyone. I have heard all my life, if you do not like the weather here just weight a little while, we may have just what you like. well it is sowing fine snow right now, it first gave us freezing rain , then sleet and now the snow. It is 30º and snowing real fine but plenty of it. it is about 3/4" so far local weather says going to 37º and snow at least tonight. saying rain tomorrow and rain and or cloudy through Thursday. so I will be couch jockey and westerns through that time. stay in and warm.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

well I hope everyone is doing alright. sure don't seam to be much activity here today. keep checking in and no new noes. see you all later.

Lloyd

Shirley

I had been bitter cold here & enough snow/ice to cover the ground. So far no trees down so still a good thing, we need moisture so badly.

Lloyd, I've had the RV plugged in with frig & freezer on & ready to roll, but not worth sliding off the highway. Son winterized it & I thought I had all the water drained out BUT when he took the compresser to blow, water rolled out. I think I am ready to sell it. Trouble is everything I wanted today was in the RV.... Getting to be too much work to load & unload! Think I will wait to see how it is when the dogwood & redbud are blooming!

Well, girls, I did not get my beans or spaghetti cooked today and also have a large salmon to bake. I'm not a good fish eater but can put enough herbs & spices on salmon & package in meal sizes to freeze & it works for me. Are y'all having trouble finding good lettuce or fresh veggies? The lettuce looks like what I would throw away & they want double the price.

Really am sleepy and not a thing to show for my day. Think I got too cold last night when we were winterizing the RV. Every year I manage to get a deep rattle cough to show the end of hay fever season & start of winter colds/infection. I have several piles of laundry in the hall way that should have been washed today... just not with it! Bed sounds good. Sweet dreams to all.

JaneS

I got a few things done today but I forgot the one big thing I wanted to do until it was too dark to do it.  I guess it'll wait for tomorrow....or Wednesday....or Thursday...or whatever.

I'm ready to hit the hay.  Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.  Frankie and I have an appt with the kinesiologist and Cooper is spending the night here.  It didn't make sense for her to pick him up after work and then bring him right back in the morning.  She's doing the driving and I'm buying lunch. I think maybe pizza!

Right now, I'm heading for the haystack!  I wish you all a peaceful, pain-free night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. well it took me two try's to get a little sleep. went to bed early and could not get the sand Man to do his job, so got up and shut the bedroom door so wouldn't bother Nancy, and watched two or three movies,  still could not get it to work went back to bed around 12:30 and finely dozed off until a few min. ago not rested though. so got up and got dressed for the day. see you all later.

Lloyd