Random Image

Winter06.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for November 15, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, November 14, 2020, 11:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

The sage of Mr Woolly Bear..

As some of you know Kyle lost his hearing aid. we searched all over including the kindling box. He emptied it out,didn't find his hearing aid but did find Me Woolly Bear. Now wanting him to get hurt from piling more wood in we put the caterpillar behind the wood pile in the garage.......which worked for a while. My WB had other plans and would come out on the ledge then disappear again. Today when we came back ,he was out on the garage floor. I almost stepped on him,so from here on in it will be watching every step I take! We always lift woolly bears out of harms way when we come across them outside so now we need to watch our step.

This is information on the woolly bear.
https://www.almanac.com/woolly-bear-caterpillars-and-weather-prediction

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Gloria

Good morning everyone, had a cold but sunny day yesterday but it is a gray morning again with rain coming later. At least we enjoyed yesterday.

JANE  not many in this building bother much with Christmas decorating. I put my tree up the first year I was here, too hard to do that anymore sot it sits in a bag in the closet, too much work for me anymore.

AMY  I would like to see that snow instead of more rain. I think my daughter's dog is spoiled, when they take him outon his leash he goes where he wants to go not where  they want. I know he is well loved, too.

PHYLLIS  I have not made a holiday meal in a long ime now. I would not mind even staying home ohose days but family makes sure I will not be alone. Wears me out every time I go anywhere.

Have a good day, I know Jane is happy finding those gifts.

Stay safe and healthy,

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

patricia19

Good morning from a frosty Interior! Amy, I had never heard of a woolly worm or bear, but I looked it up, and yes, we have them in the more northern Arctic. I was astonished as it's evidently well known here not for its weather forecasting but for the fact that it stays frozen most of its life! "The arctic woolly-bear caterpillars are unique in their combination of fascinating adaptations to the polar extremes.

They spend nearly 90% of their life frozen and only about 5% feeding on the tundra during the month of June; the remainder is spent in summer "hibernation" inside protective cocoons. Seriously, they spend 90% of their life frozen. This alone makes these little guys fascinating, but they are also the longest-lived caterpillar species on the planet. Wooly-bears in the Alaskan Arctic can "live" for 7 years, and the ones they have studied in the Canadian high Arctic can live to be 13 years old."

https://arcticwild.com/news/woolly-bear-caterpillar/

Amy

Patricia, that is also interesting..
I went to see if Kyle wanted something to drink and asked as I stepped inside the door, where the woolly bear was and his reply. Bruno is over by the stove! Now he has a name. :2funny:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

How do you know "he" isn't a "she".  Maybe "she" is Brunella!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

:2funny: Jane, I am leaving that up to Kyle.....tis his wooly bear. :)
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Forgot to add.....cherry cakes are in the oven.gum drop cakes are done.now to clean up the mess!!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Whether Bruno or Brunella, I'll bet that woodstove heat feels wonderful to a caterpillar!

Amy, you and Jane should get the most industrious award! I'm sure, if we could that the rest of us would be at your doors, fork, knife, and spoon in hand!

I still have my Thanksgiving meal leftovers and will be reheating and reassembling for some time. Yesterday I had thawed peaches, pineapple, cantaloupe, and frozen grapes for dinner. I've been on such a fruit craze lately. Fruit over yougart is definitely a treat these days. Cravings drive me; sometimes I want meat and sometimes carbs, but lately fruit.

I've enjoyed my Thanksgiving box and game & garden foods from my friends, and I know they're enjoying what they received from my cupboards. The only thing I'm really missing is that box for a german chocolate cake I had to give away. Not eating chocolate may be an impossible task, rather like giving up drugs or alcohol, I expect.

Amy

Patricia,I am sure Jane would also say, you would be more than welcome. You don't even have to bring your own cutlery...just a good appetite.

So far we have had rain, lots of it, then huge wet snow flakes. Going to be interesting to see what morning will bring. Sanders have already been out so it my be slippy out there.
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

well I went to bed about 9:30 PM went sleep right away, But woke up again around 10:30 PM and cant seam to get back to sleep. cant get my brain to relax and go back to sleep now. I am going to go make a cup of hot chicklet and see if that will do the trick, these sleepless nights are not what they are cracked up to be. good night again.

Lloyd

Denver

I thought a lot about Our June today.....this is the first Birthday that were not able to share greetings to each other on OUR Birthday.  I sure miss that sweet lady and I wish her a HAPPY  HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY 🙏🙏

PATRICIA, you seem to be doing quite well on your limited diet. I know it has to be hard for you...especially the chocolate!

SO HAPPY FOR YOU JANE........finding Emma Gift!  I can just imagine your emotions after you located it. 

Oh my, AMY!  I am getting a good chuckle out of  Bruno / Brunella's life in your home😘. Also had to laugh a bit about you holding 90# Jesse on your lap.... Sorry Kyle did not find the missing hearing aid!

SHIRLEY, it seems every time you turn around you are having to spend more on that motor home.  I hope her new owner will come around looking for her soon. 

Getting late, so best I say goodnight. 

Pleasant dreams to ALL.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Shirley

Well, Jenny, I guess I will not put up that For Sale sign until we see how spring comes in. The 3 kids started talking about "our trip to the Crater of Diamonds" in the spring, and since all 3 insist they want to go we will check on reservations. Andy & Pete will sleep in his camper, Julie-Ellen (with her Crohn's disease) will get a motel room near by & we'll enjoy eating in the RV. We will find take out foods but also easy to take along plenty to eat & fix. The campground has full hook ups so I won't need to take a tank of water. Will have Andy that knows how to do all that & think I have all necessary equipment, used once with the Rialta. Running water & sewer like at home.  :thumbup: At least this is the latest talk to keep old mom from losing interest in the rest of the world.  ;)

Lloyd, a long time ago when I couldn't get my mind to shut down I started saying a prayer learned as a child.... simple words, and forced my brain to concentrate on every word. I say it over & over and think of each word so my mind won't wander... and my Fitbit tells me it takes about 4 minutes to fall asleep every night this way. Since having the virus I take naps every few hours and just eat or sleep when my body wants to. Good luck!

Cats had their breakfast of tuna, I will eat & go back to bed until daylight. Only Tiger wanted to go out, Tom is sleeping on the couch & Callie found another spot she calls hers, (she is boss kitty) it is below freezing but they come & go as they please.

I've enjoyed learning about the "woolly worms"... I've only seen one this year but did not bring it inside.... Amy, I draw the line at inviting bugs in.  ::)

Patricia, I craved fruit during my Covid days.... have you been tested?  I do believe our bodies tell us what they need... okay, NOT a steady diet of chocolate. My gr-daughter has cut out all gluten & soy & does great, and even though they don't test positive for celiac disease, both she & her mama (my daughter) are enjoying healthier days watching their intake.

I'd better get a move on or it will be light before I get back in bed! I did not check for the "Beaver Moon" expected tonight, it's cold out there....

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's just barely daylight out there but the temps are in the 40s today!  I've been up for about an hour now and we're waiting for the boinger.

PATRICIA, AMY is right about you all being welcome at my house any time.  However, while you won't need knives and forks, I do sometimes run short of spoons.  So you might want to stick one in your pocket.

I've had Cooper for the last two days and he stayed overnight.  Frankie is trying to meet a  new crisis in her life and she is wearing herself out so she didn't come to get him after work last night.  And he'll be here today and tomorrow, too.  Makes for a little extra "busy-ness" around here.

SHIRLEY, it sounds like you're not one to give up easily on something you enjoy.  Or maybe you're just planning to go out in style next summer.  It's nice that your kids still like to do things with you.  Enjoy it!

I better get this finished or the boinger will catch me.  I hope you all have a great day....better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Amy

Good morning everyone..
We had a light dusting of snow overnight..nothing to worry about so far.
More baking today and that will be it. Just need some cookies to top it off.

Shirley Bruno is not in the house, he can reside out in the garage and that is as close as he comes. :thumbup:
Good to hear your trip is still on., something to look forward to.

Better get a move on slept in again...

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Never know what will interest us here in the SS. Now it is the Wooly Bear caterpillars. I did not even see one of them this year.
Had quite a storm last night, never heard the rain and wind.Some areas still have no power. Some huge trees were downed and cars suck on flooded roads. Most in the southern part of the state, makes me glad I live in this northern part. Very foggy here this AM can see no further than the exit to the paking lot.

JANE  our friends north of us sure are keeig ane eye out to protect Bruno/Brunella they even named IT.

AMY  you and Jane have me so jealous with all the baking and candy making because I can no longer do anything like that  anymore. I get so angry with myself. I loved doing all that when I started the day after Thanksgiving.

PATRICIA  don't think I could pass on a t least 1 slice of German chocolate cake. I would cheat if I had to give  that up.

LLOYD  I have had sleepless nights and they sure aren't fun.

JENNY  Happy Birthday a day late.  Since I no longer make the cards like we used to I have not paid attention to birthdays, even mine.

SHIRLEY  I am another one who gets a nap every day. Never used to but now as soon as Yvette leaves I am on the couch and my eyes close and I am sleeping.

JANE it is 56 here so no freezing, just foggy.

Have a good day and stay safe and healthy.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

Every October, over in the NC mountains, in a small resort town called Banner Elk, in the days before Covid 19, they have what Southerners call the Wooly Worm Festival.  It is a fun, crazy weekend and one of the very popular events is the Wooly Worm races.  Amy, you should bring Bruno/Brunella down next year and enter her/him.  He/She might turn out to be the Pride Of Canada!  ;D

I have a big ham bone and a bag of mixed dried beans.  It is good weather for soup today.

Cold here this morning but, sunny so I can handle that.  The mtns. are getting snow and the ski resorts are making snow like crazy, too.  Everyone is hoping to get some skiing done.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Bubble, is without internet due to bad weather, repairs only on the 10th of the month..
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Oh, WOW!To be without for 10 days .... that would be pure torture! Besides, what will we do without her that long????  Thanks for the news, just don't shoot the messenger, huh?

Amy, I just ordered (good ole Amazon) me a "Classic Red Wagon". I've wanted/needed one for years but many years ago when I started hinting for one, my dear husband bought me the even bigger one with sides that fold down & big balloon tires. Well, at least one of those tires has been flat every time I needed, would have to drag out the air compressor & by then I was out of the mood to do whatever else I was doing. I have a need again and decided this time I'm gonna get what I want. Amazon had same price as Walmart & it will be delivered free. My little car would struggle to hold it...maybe pull behind?? Deed is done & it will be here Friday. It really will help me haul things from storage on one side of the house to the other.... and I do need to have a monster garage sale! Back to cleaning house, maybe better go rake up the neighbors leaves again before I put away the leaf mulcher. We are supposed to get rain/snow & whatever the middle of the week & no warm up in sight. I think the woolly worm I saw was all black so can't count on all that snow, he's a fake!

Tomereader1

Speaking of soup:  My dear neighbor texted me and asked if I would like some Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup that she had just made.  (you all don't know that I have a penchant for Mexican Food - - now you do!) What was I to say but "yes".  She brought over a container with two cornbread muffins as accompaniement, and I ate half.  So this morning, she texts that she can't possibly eat all that soup she made in the Crockpot, would I like some more? Oh, how it taxed my brain to figure out an answer to that one! Now with my leftovers from Thanksgiving (not many), and I had made a pot of angel hair pasta and meatballs (with some sauce that same neighbor had given me), my refrigerator is so full I couldn't possibly get a can of Pepsi in there.  Oh, woe is me!  But no one needs worry that I'm starving. I do have good appetite and eat well at each meal. 
Take care of yourselves, be safe!

patricia19

Good midmorning from an ice rink of an Interior! From snow to icy rain to again more snow, topping it off with a chinook blowing any snow back off the ice! This has been an incredible beginning for this winter and surging pandemic. This year has made itself a prominent name in our history.

Shirley, I'm halfway thru my restricted diet per my allergies. It used to be convenience foods, processed foods, and microwavable foods that sent me into analeptic shock. Then bananas and canned food were added to the list. I have a three-page list of all chemicals I'm to avoid and read all labels for.

I'm allergic to the chemicals added to process and maintain shelf life for fake foods. My issues seem to be multiplying rather than subsiding, so I'm either not watching what I eat, or something else is in-play. My allergist plans to slowly reintroduce certain foods after my thirty-day restrictions to try to find an answer.

It's also possible that my previous sinus infections were part of my "allergies." He told me those food allergies are increasing, 40% since 2017 and have overtaken respiratory allergies in frequency. It's especially troubling in young children. So, not Covid or celiacs.

Thanks, Jane, have spoon will travel; but in the meantime, how about the hideyhole? It all sounds so good!

Gloria, I do like German chocolate cake, but no more cake mixes are allowed. I will have to scour the Internet for a homemade recipe. That is when or if I'm allowed chocolate again.

It's not that big of an issue. These restrictions haven't been that hard at all, and I feel better, so that's a huge plus! My friends Alan and Dora made a copy for themselves, and they plan to eat this way as it has numerous benefits, just more labor-intensive. You're simply eating actual unadulterated healthy food rather than chemical combined fake food. I feel silly, even complaining.

Amy

Patricia, I think if we all ate that way we would put fast foods out of business and wouldn't be at the Drs as much either!
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Patricia, Allergist discovered my grandson ("Sir Carson") is very allergic to black pepper.  He can eat any other kind of pepper - just not black.  Really restricts what he can eat when he goes out with friends or even with family/!!!!  However, he has learned to cook/bake and uses white pepper - which he says is a bit "hotter" than the black but doable.

Tome, I may be the only person in the southwest who does not care for Mexican food in general...or at least not "Tex-Mex". Just don't like the spices and can't stand the taste or odor of the beans.

It's been years since I've seen a "wooly worm".  Used to see something similar on the oak trees in yard when I lived on the other side of town.  No oaks on this side - and no wooly worms.

It's a gorgeous day in central Oklahoma and I did errands all morning.  Some mail for next-door neighbor was in my mailbox and we had a nice chat when I took it over to her.  Also chatted with neighbor across the street when we were putting out trash bins at the same time.

Next door neighbor is "decorated to the hilt" inside and out.  One across the street hasn't even started - and neither have I.  Did discover this morning that I could get Christmas stamps at Walgreen's so am preparing to commence to start to begin....  :thumbup:  I figure I contributed to "Cyber Monday" yesterday because I ordered four gift cards on-line.  :thumbup:

Has anyone noticed the new format on Facebook?  Guess I'll get used to it but it's annoying trying to figure it all out.

Off to do the usual afternoon reading in my sunny window until sun goes behind trees.

Onward and Upward 

Shirley

Patricia, my gr-daughter reads all the fine print & discovered soy (one of her problems) is now in EVERYTHING!  I'm shocked at the every day stuff she finds it in. Turns out using pure butter is one of the few things she can cook with.

I am trying to control myself as I listen to yard people "blowing the leaves" into mounds so they can ride their mowers to pick up.... what doesn't blow on down the street or to the yard next door that was just cleaned out last week. If I had all the trees of the leaves I rake out of my front walk, I'd be living in a forest! We have 3 houses in this block that sit empty, widows now living in retirement villages but hanging onto houses. And other owners that don't pick up themselves but hire once a year yard guys that just blow or rake under shrubs & watch the wind roll those leaves on down the street. Not sure why they don't remember what it's like to actually take care of a house & yard!

I did get one job done today, son stopped by on his way to... pulled my frig out of it's  little nook so I could open the door wide enough to pull out drawers to clean up an icky mess. Had a package of meat drip down through glass into drawer racks, all the way to the bottom. Job done & I am worn out.

Sun is already behind clouds so looking darker. I planned to see what more the beaver did yesterday before "the Beaver Moon" came up but didn't. Wonder if the beaver knew about the moon.  ;) May not be too late, but better wait in case Andy remembers to come by & move that frig back for me. If I yawned any wider my jaw might get stuck.... another day is done.

Callie, I've known one other person allergic to black pepper & thought it the strangest thing to be allergic to. I do think all the additives the farmers are using to not have weeds grow or bugs to invade, has made a difference in our allergies. Mom & Dad grew most of the veggies we ate growing up, they only used one kind of fertilizer & planted so bugs didn't like (was it marigolds?) ... and we hoed the weeds all the time. I hope to have a couple trugs next year to grow some lettuce & a couple tomato plants. We see how that works out.  ::)

Haha, Gloria, we do get off on a subject & learn all about it before another comes up! 

patricia19

Amy, I agree, and that's also what convinced Alan and Dora to try it. It doesn't have to be all or mostly organic either. The most labor-intensive is starting to read labels, checking it against your lists, and chopping the raw vegetables.

For me, reading recipes was a chore as so much is convenience, canned, or chemically-laden foods. You're said to lose weight at first, sleep better and more regular.  Even the vitamins we buy are chemicals, and my allergist says unless a doctor prescribes an actual shortage, you're better off eating actual food for those vitamins or minerals.

Callie, I can certainly relate; however, there are many more spices than white pepper. 

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/oct/04/allergic-to-pepper-spice-substitute-kitchen-aide

I no longer decorate for Christmas. I do send cards and do Christmas PSP, but I've cut way back with no grandkids, and my nieces and nephews are in their thirties and forties now and no more cash cards as they all make good money.

Shirley, there are many good reasons why food allergies are rising, as are celiac disease and Chrohn's disease. Too many chemicals in our fake food. The bug killer, Round-Up, is widely used, kills more than just weeds; birds, cats, and dogs are also victims. It also has cancer carcinogens, so I don't know why it isn't banned.

Amy

I do believe the orchestra is warming  up for the dance in the morning...snow has stopped and I hope it stays that way.

Shirley, I can only hope that Bubble's internet comes back on before the 10 days is up! I would get a lot of work done if that happened to me :))

Callie, my grand daughter is allergic to coconut and that can be found in a lot of things.

Time to put my feet up for a while...
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

I thought it strange, too, that someone could be allergic to black pepper.  Looked it up and web site said 4% of people have this allergy.

He's learning - and likes to cook   Since he lives off-campus, the biggest issue he has is trying to eat out.

Nothing interesting on t.v. tonight.  Think I'll try to catch up with some e-book reading.  Wanna guess how long before I'm  :sleepy:   ;D

Sleep well, Everyfriend, and have pleasant dreams.

JaneS

Hello my friends!  I've read everything and took mental notes but my brain is so numb I can't recall anything!  There is one thing I do want to say....

JENNY, I am so sorry that my brain did not put 2 and 2 together and wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I did wonder how you remembered it was JUNE'S birthday and it came back to me in a flash in the shower this morning.  I hope your day was as special as you are!  And I hope you celebrate many, many more happy ones!

Today was a busy day and all day I thought "I'm not getting anywhere an then tonight, I took inventory...
  I finished my outside decorations.
  I set up my ceramic Christmas tree inside
  I set the ceramic Wise Men on their journey
  I packed more Christmas candy
  I wrapped about 5 presents
  I ran the dishwasher
  I decorated my dining room table
  I put the lighted candles in the windows
  I made a new batch of dog food
And I did all the usual things like feeding dogs, taking them for walks, putting things away and making beds....well. you all know the routine.

Also, I put a dish of peanut butter cups and coconut cups in the hidey hole along with a couple jars of homemade vegetable soup (bring your own spoons)

Now I'm going to hit the haystack and hope that it's loaded with zzzzs because I'm exhausted.  I hope you all had a great day and that you have an even better one tomorrow!  And may God bless us, every one!

And I sure hope Bubble's internet is back soon.  That could drive one crazy!

Amy

Good morning..

Woke up to 3-4" of new snow. Looks fluffy not wet so it will be easy to move. Not sure what else is on for the day will see how I feel after the dance.

Jane, if I didn't have snow to remove I would head back to bed after reading all that you did yesterday! Hope today is a lot easier for you.

Better get ready for the dance..

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm up and attem and things are going to be popping around here. 

AMY, I think we got the overflow from your snow!  It doesn't seem to be laying on the roads but the roofs have a small accumulation and there are grassy areas that have a bit of it.  Mickie walked in it in the yard but she found a clear spot to do what we went out to do.  She has never objected to being out in the snow but she doesn't like rain.  It's still coming down but not hard!

And I hope it stays that way because I have to take Cooper to the groomer today!  And if there's snow on the road, I don't go.  And he needs this trip!

On the agenda for today is packing more candy, working on the outgoing boxes and just a tad more decorating!  I still have to set up the Nativity Scene.  And in between the cracks, I'll put some laundry in the washer.  Sounds like a plan to me.  Also need to come up with something to eat for supper.

I guess I better get dressed and ready to greet the day!  I wish you all a good one....better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

P.S.  Our organist at my church passed away this week.  That's not all she was to me.  She was in high school when I was, I think about 3 years behind me but it was a small school and we knew everyone!  There was no "class" discrimination.  We were all friends!

Amy

The waltz is finished for now..still snowing but not enough to worry about.

Jane, I am sorry to read your lose of your friend.You must have a lot of wonderful memories stored away of the times you shared.

Shirley, when I read about your Red Wagon of course the song Here I Go With My Little Red Wagon started in my head.. Do you remember the little hand sleighs? I have one of those to use in the winter time.

Phyllis that will be one tasty soup!! Now you have me thinking....maybe I should put a pot on the back of the wood stove..

Gloria, Jane has done way more than I. I did do a bit but not near as much as other years....with the surgery on the hand my knee that still isn't 100% and this dang cold my energy level has gone on vacation and without me!!

Time for inside work to be done...

Jimmy Dean