Random Image

Baby, it's Cold Out

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for February 1, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, February 01, 2021, 12:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. it Is 12º @ 6;14 A M C S T here going for 18º for a High
The tattle tail said my mask leaked again. I guess I am to resales worrying about court hearing Friday, Life is no fun anymore. Have a good day.

Lloyd

phyllis

Very cloudy today and we are in for several days of rain/sleet/icy weather.  The grocery store just called and my order is ready so David will pick that up later this morning before the bad weather starts.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I slept like a log last night.  I only woke up enough a couple times to make sure Mickie was in a safe spot.  We've done everything we had to do this morning and we have Cooper for the day.  Mickie made her own way down the steps and then back up after she took care of business.  She's still limping a bit but I think her leg is feeling a bit better this morning. 

I'm going to try a quick trip to Davy's this afternoon.  I have my list and I'm ready and when I get back, the car will go back under cover because we're supposed to get some "crappy" weather overnight.  Then on the weekend, we're getting dumped on again! 

I better get back to work.  I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

So much for plans! We did go to the lumber store but then..

I have a new hunk in my life....Hank  :smitten:

He is gorgeous!!!

Well muscled  in all the right places..

No salt and pepper but silver..

Into whipping, can beat and  even knead.

Not into conversation but goes right to work..

Curious???

Hank is my new Kitchenaid stand mixer ..I do have a hand held on of 20 + yrs that Kyle got me for Christmas one year but when "Hank" came on sale it was love at first sight.  :2funny:

Hope to do pies tomorrow....maybe

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

AMY, I know exactly what your mean!  I opened the door one day and found "George" on the porch.  I let him in and he's been hanging around the kitchen for a couple years now.  He's ready when I ask and he does more than I ever expected him to do.  He just doesn't give up.  He's always dressed in his blue coveralls and ready to go!

Shirley

I have Henry on the counter right now, grinding 3 (yes, three) eye of round roasts for my kids. All were about 5-7 lbs each, already baked in cast iron Dutch ovens & cooled enough to start grinding. I used the old clamp on the table grinder for 50 years before this but wanted my daughter to see "how neat it is" to fill those zip loc bags to freeze & have ready any time. She & #1 son had lunch here yesterday & they cleaned out a whole bowl of meat spread on Ritz crackers. Tonight #2 son is stopping by to visit but instead of eating with me, he loves when I send him home with enough for he & girl friend to eat after they work out. They are thrilled when I send meat spread to them. I will mix enough to send sandwiches home with daughter so she doesn't have to eat on the road Friday. There is nothing I can give or do for them that means as much as the meat..... Henry has made this job so much easier. My daughter has my old hand grinder & Andy's wife has her gr-mothers, both insist they don't mind doing by hand, but neither gets around to it. The first Kitchen Aid I bought didn't have enough power for the grinder attachment so I gave it to my daughter & bought Henry, the 575 watt muscle man... it is a winner for meat! And now back to work because the youngest kid will be here in an hour or less & I need to clean the table up to make room for him. I finally got a card in the mail to Gloria today...

Amy

George ,Henry and now Hank have won our hearts over!!

Shirley, do you have a recipe for the meat spread that you can share please?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

Good evening everyone. I will try to remember to get Nancy's recipe for the spread. Nancy came to so I asked her how. she just makes her spread with Ham, She grinds the Ham uses home made pickle relish some Miracle whip and a tad bit of mustard. it is gooood just ask me i will tell you. Good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

JaneS

Hey, there friends!  That grinder attachment was the first special I got for "George".  He loves it and so do I.  I've made the ham spread similar to Nancy's quite often but I'd also like SHIRLEY's made with beef.  It sounds like a winner!

It's snowing out there again.  Not supposed to amount to a lot today but we're in for a load on the weekend!

Got to Davy's today so the fresh vegetable bin is full again and so is the peanut butter pretzel container.  And I can't stop yawning so I'm heading for the haystack.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Shirley

I bake/roast my eye of round roasts in cast iron Dutch ovens... just a tad of Crisco to give them that browning, put about 3 cloves of garlic peeled & slivered per eye & cut/slash or slice half to push down inside the meat & chop the rest outside. Nothing but salt & pepper plus 2 full size bay leaves, after it makes about half an inch of broth browning on top of the stove, I put into the oven at 350°. After at least an hour I take out, flip the chunks over so the other side sits in the broth, and then I add about a tablespoon of sugar & tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, clap the lid on for another couple hours (all depends on how big the roasts). Even when I plan to grind them, I want tender because that broth has to be made into gravy... little flour browned & I save one chunk of the roast to cut into bite sizes to put back into the cast iron broth & then scrape it all out to put over mashed potatoes for "open face roast beef sandwiches"... slice of bread cut into triangle with pile of mashed potatoes in middle & heap of meat & gravy over it all. YUM.....

With my mother's meat spread I always take a bag full of ground meat, plenty of sweet pickle relish (Kroger's generic brand), Miracle Whip, a couple stalks of celery diced & sliced with about same amount of chopped fresh, sweet onion & 2 hopped hard boiled eggs. I don't think there has ever been a real recipe put down on paper because it depends on size of roasts & then how much ground beef we start out with. I have never tried to freeze it mixed but lots of years of experience freezing the Ziploc bags with ground beef.

Now we can all go to bed with food bouncing around in our dreams... I do love to eat! God Bless.

Amy

Good morning..

No new snow and temp is sitting at 0°F.  Picking up meds for hubby this morning and home to do whatever needs to be done. If I don't say it it may get done. :)

I come in here and read what Lloyd, Jane and Shirley do making their sandwich spreads and it makes me hungry!! I have made it using ham and bologna in the past but never beef but that will soon be done! Thank you for posting how you do yours Shirley..I have some eye of round in the freezer to use up.

Jane, how is Mickie doing??

Better shake a leg here ..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

phyllis

And I have "What's His Name" who sits in the corner and does nothing because he is a big fat slug and I can't move him!  'Way too heavy for this old lady.  When I make meat spread, usually with bologna, and sometimes with ham, I will use the smaller, more moveable food processor.  It doesn't look the same as it is when ground up but it tastes the same.  I sometimes look at the Kitchen Aid and think I ought to get rid of it and then decide that maybe someday.....but, that day doesn't seem to get here.  ::)

The pantry is full and so is the fridge and freezer so we're just waiting on the "maybe" ice storm that is supposed to come in sometime tonight.  I hope the weather guessers have miss-guessed.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend! we got the snow that was predicted overnight and the plow has been down my road and my good neighbor has been in my driveway.  So I'm good to go.  And that's good because my appointment for my first COVID shot is at 5:15 this afternoon.  My daughter is going to come here after work (she finishes at 4) and we'll have a little visit and the take off.  And if all goes well, we'll pick up Chinese on the way home and have supper together.

Since Frankie was running late today, I don't have Cooper so since Cathy has to wait in the car for me while I get my shot, we'll take Mickey along to wait in the car, too.

AMY, Mickie is still limping but she managed a short walk this morning and she managed to jump off the stool beside the couch.  I think she's feeling somewhat better.

We're supposed to get dumped on again over the weekend.  And after that I'll be ready for (warmer) April Showers and May Flowers.  Actually, I'm ready for them right now!

And if I don't get started, nothing will get done around here.  I wish you all a good day....better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.
now

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the sunny
but cold rocky coast of Maine. 

As I look at my cupboards and refrigerator,
both are looking "bareish"  since I have
taken downstairs and loaded up the
"free  food table".

You should see just how fast
everything disappears off that
table.   

I have one box of Amy's Food
for my daughter Erin... and a
freezer full of frozen items
(never opened).  That I have to
walk over to my neighbors apt. 

Tomorrow I get a large grocery
order of all low or no sodium
products..  Fruits,  vegetable
(fresh) and chicken ..

My new small crock pot is coming
today,  and I hope to make
good use of it in the future as
I make  a diet of low sodium foods. 

I sure will miss all the goodies,
but I have found that when I stop
eating processed foods,  the easier is
is for me to maintain healthy eating.

Have a good day everyoen. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

I just walked ove and
found someone to take my
frozen foods.   Yeah!! 

Yup the cupboards are bare,
until tomorrow when Kelly comes.
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

Good morning from the warmer, now again snowy Interior where we've switched back to the plus side of the thermometer. The changing pressure has meant a tough couple of days for my joints, but nothing else news or noteworthy.

Sandy, if you're like me, you will notice a difference in how you generally feel and better skin and better sleeping. It sort of creeps up on you how much better you're feeling and how much better food is tasting.

I've never ground my meat, but I have a seven-quart dutch oven that I've cooked several roasts in. For some reason, I've never had a food processor, but generally, "all the other have to have kitchen appliances." Yesterday along with the dutch oven, slow cookers, and my oven, I prepared two roasts, a chicken tray, and browned and seasoned ground meat. All to be apportioned and froze in those handy ZipLock freezer bags. I'm set again for a month or more

JaneS

Well, I knew it but I didn't want to admit it!  I live waaaaaaay out in the sticks!  I was scheduled to get my first COVID shot this afternoon and they called me to say the plane bringing the serum had been delayed and they needed to reschedule me.  I think the plane just couldn't find a field big enough to land in and didn't want to take a chance in the snow.  RATS!  Now I have to worry about it for another week! 

The drug store guy did find my house to deliver my prescription so that's a good thing.  I've always been sort of a Pollyanna.  I look for the good and try not to think about the bad stuff.  It's been hard to do that this past year and especially this winter but I'm trying!

Cathy's still going to come for a visit and pick up Chinese for our supper and that's a VERY GOOD thing!  I think I'll just dwell on that! 

I hope you are all doing as well as SANDY and PATRICIA today and that your tomorrow will be even better! 

Amy

Jane at times it is worth living in the sticks.....away from the virus hopefully.

I did get my pie done and 4 shells in the freezer .

Haven't heard from Lloyd today and pray tomorrow goes well for him and Nancy.

Hope Shirley has heard from Gloria.s daughter to bring us up to speed.

Jimmy Dean

Denver

A good Thursday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND.

Today is our oldest sons 52nd Birthday.  #3 just turned 47 on the 6th.....these guys are starting to make me feel old!  Hahaha. I am kidding myself, of course!  My body tells me daily...."YOU ARE A OLD LADY"! 

I got a good chuckle while reading about Hank, George, Henry and "old what's his name"!  I have Whitey.....he sits on my counter top all the time as he is too heavy for me to move!  I do not have any of the fancy attachments to grid meat or make pasta, but I sure wish I did.  Last weekend we FaceTime'd with youngest son and DIL and watched them make their homemade pasta....but you all know know that I am probably going to go in search of a couple of attachments!  Seems years ago I used to see them at garage sales a lot, but those days are in my past😩😩

AMY, I think I have a crush on Hank because you made him sound so handsome💗💗. Sometimes I find myself feeling a bit jealous of you.....you get to dance with the snowblower and all those fun kind of things🤪🤪🤩🤩

JANE....DARN DARN DARN....sorry to read about your Covid Vaccine appointment being delayed! 
Good for you, SANDY, getting rid of all the items you can no longer eat!  I just hope Kelly gets your new items to you tomorrow so you do not starve to death! 🤪😃

SHIRLEY, I was not lucky enough to have your meat spread but I have had your sliced beef and gravy and I can attest that it is delicious. 
I have made ground beef spread in the past but always used that grinder you attached to the able.  I think I still have it.....but have not used it for years as I have no surface to attach it to!  One time someone served bologna spread and I nearly lost my cookies.  Not sure why as I always liked balogna. 

Michele had back surgery on two disks this past Monday, but so far she is still in a lot of pain.  We hope it will improve soon.  Bless her heart!

Thinking about GLORIA and praying she is improving every day🙏🙏

Off to pick up grandsons from school. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

Good Night and sweet dreams everyone. Hardly any post on my computer. Hope you are all alright. Hope to see you all tomorrow in good health and spirits.

Lloyd

JaneS

Well Cathy and I had a good visit and a good supper this evening.  We talked about a lot of stuff.  And solved a couple of problems and just plain enjoyed the company!  Supper was Chinese and she picked it up on the way over here.

AMY, thanks for the reminder that living "out in the sticks" is mostly pretty good. 

Now I'm ready for the haystack and I have a lot of paper work to take care of tomorrow.  I dislike doing paper work.  I guess that's because that's what I did most of my life.  First off I worked in an office, then I helped out in the store and phone calls and paper work were my job.  And since my husband didn't like paper work the household paper work was always mine.  And a Girl Scout leader has lots of paper work to deal with if she's and active leader and I must have been because I did.  I know it's necessary but I still don't like it.

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Amy

Good morning...

Bread baking day here and a few odd and sods to do..

Lloyd ,good luck for today..

Jane, sounds like you and Cathy had an enjoyable time together!

Jenny, no need to be jealous, I will lend them out anytime to you. Prayers for a speedy recovery for Michele. that young lady has been through more than enough in her life time.

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
Jimmy Dean

phyllis

I'll just say "Morning" because it isn't a good one here.  Dark, dreary, and rainy.  But, we are lucky because the ice is staying north of us.  The temp. here was 33 deg. when I got up but the roads were just wet and no ice on the trees.  I'm very glad about that.

David got notice late yesterday that he will get his first vaccine shot on this coming Monday.  I hope they don't run out of the vaccine before then.  The news reports are that the supply is running very low.  I know that eventually this whole situation will get more organized but right now it does try one's patience.

Hope we hear about Gloria again soon and all of the friends that have been facing extra challenges of whatever kind.  I think about everyone of you.

Take care, All.

Oh....I made a big pot of Ham and 15 Bean Soup yesterday in the Instant Pot.  Sooooo good and just right for a chilly, rainy evening.  I'll be happy to share.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

AMY thanks I need all the prayers and help I can get. if wasn't for bad luck I would not have any. I had a long post made and clicked to post it, and phyllis posted and it went south. Oh well all is fair in love and war, Have a good day I have to go eat morning meal, may try again later.

Lloyd

Tomereader1

26 degrees, overcast, lids on the garbage bins still have ice on top and icicles hang from the edge of the roof.  Walking in the grass is "crunchy".  The wind is out of the North and bites right through how many ever layers of clothing you have on. These "lovely things" are quite familiar to our Amy and Patricia, and now to some of our U.S. states.  JaneS and Jeanne are getting snow, cold and probably North winds.
We are to be the recipients of "snow" come Sunday night and/or Monday.  I can certainly live without it!  Yesterday it was hazardous just to step out on the front porch or walkway to the porch.  As with the roads and highways, there was the treacherous glaze of "black ice".  A major highway/freeway in Ft. Worth tallied a 100+ vehicle pile up, killing 6 and sending over 60 to hospitals. The vehicles were cars, pickups, 18 wheelers (several of which were FedEx trucks).
Many cars were literally buried under the pile-up.  So, stay inside, stay warm, don't drive if the roads are iced, unless it's a dire medical emergency!  Best wishes to all of you in the path of this Arctic Blast!
Joanne

Amy

Tome, I really hate black ice!!! Second to that is slush...one has very little if not no control when caught by either one.

Bread is done, laundry (dogs beds ) out on the line drying. Maybe tomorrow a chop suey  bread will get done.
https://www.food.com/recipe/chop-suey-loaf-1954-420831
I am more into saying maybe as one never knows what the day may bring. There is snow in the forecast but just maybe it will go away..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Morning, Afternoon, Evening (So far, Like PHYLLIS) not putting "good" with them.  It's been a day of mind boggling work.  I called my medigap insurance to ask if my plan covered some of the things they wer advertising on TV and if it didn't why were they charging me so much.  Turns out my plan is so old, they're not even offering it any more.  I was on the phone with a very nice lady who gave me so much information that I couldn't think straight.  In the end, I asked her if she would email me the things we'd discussed because I was a better reader than I was listener.  She did and we set a day for another talk on Monday.  It does sound like I can do better and save some money and that would be nice.  But Cathy will also look over the info and we'll put our thoughts together and try to make a decision.

My mind is numb right now.  I think I'll take a nap and think about all this stuff later. 

JENNY, I'm still praying for Michele! It sure sounds like she needs God on her side.  She has to be a very special person!

PHYLLIS, I'm glad the worst of the weather passed you by.  I hope you stuck some of that bean soup in the Hidey Hole because I'm going to check there when I finish here.

My eyes are numb and they're begging to close!  I hope you are all having a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

JaneS

YooHoo!  It sure is empty in here!  I'm going to bid you all good night right now even though it's early.  Cooper is spending the night and I never sleep well when he's here.  He won't sleep in the bedroom with us and he spends half the night in the living room on the sofa and the other half in the spare bedroom where Frankie sleeps when she stays here.  I spend the night wondering if he's OK!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free, snow-free tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

P.S. We're going to get more snow tomorrow!  I wonder where the flowers are!

Shirley

:hb2:   News from Gloria's daughter! :hb2:

"Well some better news on mom, she left the hosp yesterday(Thursday) and into rehab. She went to the place where I worked in the kitchen for 5 years before I got married.
She is still very weak and unable to walk on her own. PT will help I hope and she can regain her strength. If she can't walk on her own she will be going into a nursing home. I think she has something like 30 days that Medicare will pay for rehab. So she has a lot of work to do to be able to get home.
I will read your e-Mail to her tomorrow. I am sure she will be glad to hear  from you. She will be glad to get cards and brighten up her room.
Thank you for caring!
Regina "