Random Image

bagpipe.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for February 1, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, February 01, 2021, 12:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Ah ha!! Jane, you sent the snow!! We just got in from cleaning up the driveway and the paths out back for the dogs.  The east is to get a good snack of snow this week!!

Patricia,our freezer needs a sortin also.....but not yet...need to use up some food before I tackle it.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, that's my issue as well. The freezer is crammed!

phyllis

Got your email, Amy.  Thanks very much.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Patricia, when this pandemic started we stocked up  both in freezer and in canning/pickling items from 5the garden.

Phyllis, you're welcome.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

mycheal

Now if you youngsters have time, or just take it, tour to Iowa :O)

I have 7 inches of new snow,  on top of 7+ we had prior, it's windy as all get out,  last night no travel advised

Oh ya along with -22* below zero this morning Ugh !

SO Is this a Santa prelude ?

I will only be 11* below tonight and is -7 * below now but winds have subsided some

Enjoy, be safe and keep warm or dry

Sandy

Good evening everyone from the snowy rocky
coast of Maine.   It  has been
spitting snow most of the day...
not a big storm,  just letting us
know that this is the middle of Feb
when we usually get a lot of snow
and cold weather. 

I had my yearly check up with
my cardiologist and she has
change my meds  a bit.   No big
deal just a change that needed to be.

What she did do,  was to put
me on a low sodium diet... 

Well, I have just gone
through all of the food that
I have stored up because of Covid, 
and have called my daughter Erin
to come pick it up .   Lots and lots of
Amy's soups  and other things that
I am sure that she will eat... 

which leave my cupboards almost bar..
so I have to stock up on low
sodium food,  which is not my favorite,
but it is what I will now have to get 'use
to eating...

Oh what the heck ...  time for a change I
guess... and after this week,  as I eat down
my freezer and refrigerator foods,  it will
be low sodium for me from now  on. 

I bet my body will like that,  even if I
don't.   

Have a good evening everyone . 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS

Another day when jobs just poked up their ugly heads and demanded attention.  I did try to track down some blinds but I got so frustrated because I couldn't really tell what they looked like or how they would fit that I just left the computer and gave up.  I think I must be a creature of my time.  Back in the "olden days" I'd have gone to the 4 or 5 places within driving or walking distance of my house, checked out what they had to offer, asked a bunch of questions and come home with what I liked and knew would fit.  And I'd probably have put them up myself.  Now, you have to go on line and there are about a thousand to look at and you can't really tell how they work or if the actually look like the pictures and the words that describe them are incomprehensive.  And there's no nice person to ask, "what does that mean and how does it work".  And also, back in the "olden days" they'd have had one of each installed in a display so they could actually show me how they work.  One more time when I guess I'm getting old!

Now I'm heading for the haystack!  I'm tired and ready to sleep.  And I sure hope I can do that!  I wish you all a pleasant night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one! 

GLORIA, God be with you!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning..

A light dusting of snow with more to follow on Tue. A trip to the lumber store  and then later on we will take our garbage away when the dump opens. Nothing else on the agenda ,just let the day unfold as it may.

Mycheal, just think how pretty everything looks with your new snow!! Dress warm if you're heading out...that is a tad chilly!!

Jane, what about sewing up some curtains, would that solve your problem?

Sandy, spices will now take up where salt has left off.

Better get ready to meet the day.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  The sun is shining and I have to enjoy it today because the rest of the week's weather "stinks".  Snow, sleet, clouds, temps in the single digits....whatever the winter can throw our way is coming.  I pine for April!

AMY, it's not "curtains" I'm looking for.  It's blinds.  The afternoon sun goes East to west and comes in my front windows most of the afternoon.  If I want to read, it's great!  If I want to watch something on TV or sleep on the sofa, it's blinding!  I want wood window blinds like my daughter has in her house but the people who installed them went out of business.  And I just can't tell what they look like on line.  I'm an "in-person" shopper and that's not being done right now. 

I have to make a trip to Davy's (the Mennonite Store) sometime this week and they're closed today.  So I'm going to have to play it by sight and go when the snow isn't here.  I have my list ready to run.

I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

Amy

I wonder how many people get excited just going to the dump?? Poor Kyle has to tolerate my excitement  especially today as there was not one but TWO Bald Eagles!! The pair were snuggled up together, yes it is cold here..

Jane, ok now I understand..hope you find what you're looking for.
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Ah, Amy, spices never made up for potato chips & finger lickin' good salty fingers!  When Cas first had his by-passes about 30 years ago we went on the no salt diet until his doctor told me "low salt" was okay. I have every flavor of Mrs.Dash & rows of the seasonings to shake on meat, fish, veggies, etc. (even your fingers if you want to lick them). I am more addicted to salt than chocolate.... SO, Sandy, my deep sympathy (and admiration, if you can stick to it). My sons both give me a hard time out camping about salting my eggs at breakfast, etc. I even give Mrs.Dash a good shake in tomato juice and we know how salty the commercial tomato juice is. I tell them about June having to take salt tablets & then infusions of salt... still have the print of why we need salt <smile..my defense>. I try to limit myself.

Right now at almost 10:00 am it is 11° but feels like 1° ...drizzle, freezing rain, sleet & snow for most of the day. Now I do know the difference between snow & the other moisture, but do not see any difference in the rest that has to be scrapped off windshields, is there???  The trees down by the river are all frosty looking, pretty, but if those branches don't melt off before winds pick up, we will have lots of limbs breaking. Most schools closed & plans for the day with my daughter changed. So far this visit hasn't gone as she planned, but kind of what we expect for this time of the year, right?!

Mycheal, I would love a deep enough snow to get out with my snownut before everyone else wears my snow out!  IF ever it snows enough & I can find someone to hold the camera I will get a video of this 86 year old kid sailing down the hill on a Flexible Flyer SnoNut & get one of my sons to put it on uTube with a link for y'all.  Haha... wrapped up like I do, can't tell who I am! 

Jane, many years ago when the kids were little, I bought room darkning blinds, white sort of oilcloth looking with aluminum foil inside, that could mount inside the sill or on the facings. Inside didn't allow any streaks of light to show through. Really efficient. For the living room & family rooms that had floor to ceiling drapes, I ordered the "thermo" drapes from Penney's & did hang them myself (back then we could do anything ourselves, couldn't we?) The shades were cut to fit by K-Mart, the dimestores... free to MY measurements so I had to be careful about measuring & to buy the right hangers. Good luck with your project. Your bright streak sounds like what Cas saw after his cateract surgery, he didn't have the 2nd one done.

Shirley

Checked mail and a message from Gloria's daughter. I'll post her suggestion/advice but anyone wanting her snail-mail address, please send me an e-mail so I can reply with it & not screw up! From Regina: "Semi good news. Mom will be transferred to a rehab facility very soon. Talked to her yesterday and sounds like my Mom again. She seems to be ok with that as long as she gets out of the hosp and their very distasteful food! That's mom!!
Mom doesn't like talking in the phone very much. Only two people she said she could talk on the phone with, a sister in law, who is no longer with us, and me. So calls are out of the question. But to send cards that would be welcome(that's me talking not mom!) The cards can be sent to:
Gloria Zifchock.... "  e-mail ME for the address!!!!

Amy

Shirley, this is such good news!! Each day is a blessing for Gloria and I hope it continues for her.
Jimmy Dean

Sandy

Good Afternoon from the cold and sunny,
rocky coast of Maine...   

Gloria,  I hope that you are feeling
better sooner and can get back to living
as you wish,  faster. 

"Sandy, spices will now take up where salt has left off."  (Amy)

I had stopped using table salt a long time ago,
but ignored the sodium content on packages.. 
and cans.     So they all have to go. 

My daughter Erin is going to come and pick
them up  and get them out of my sight...
I will get my low sodium groceries Friday...

What a job..  Reading labels tells it all,
so now for a few way of eating. 

I am ready for it.     At 77 I really have
no choice if I choose to help myself
become a very old lady  !!!

Today I cooked up in my rice cooker,  some brown
rice,  quinoa,  Jasmin Rice and Barley.   ( couple
of cups of each )   all of which have very very very
low sodium,  if any)

I also sent for a KNOC small slow cook ( 2 quart)
cooker.    (Great for 1 person) ..   ME!

Reading the labels is a real mind opener... 
and habit changer for me.      I should have
known better !!   I will try out Mrs Dash
and other low sodium condiments.   

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

Sandy, I went thru that in November and December due to my allergies, and yes, it takes effort, and it takes time. I feel so much better, even if my spices can only be the whole ones that I grate in my extra coffee bean grater. I am lucky that this area has so many farms and local foods available that use little or no chemicals.

I eat game meat, chicken, beef and pork, local eggs and vegetables, and fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables. First, I soak the fresh in a solution of one part apple cider vinegar to two parts water and then rinse very well. No convenience, processed, microwavable, or fake foods. The good news is that I haven't had an attack since November other than a small incident with commercial peanut butter.

Our situations aren't precisely the same, but I also traded food with friends, changed my methods, and have a list of dangerous additives I look out for  while shopping. I limit my salt intake but have discovered many seasonings and tastes that were previously hidden under that heavy-handed salt shaker. Tomatoes and other vegetables have a fresh taste that is surprisingly good on their own.

Sandy

Fortunately I have a daughter that
lives here in town so I can give all
of this food to her..  with a warning
for her to go slow eating it. 

I am convinced that I am going to feel better
too..... power of positive thinking hopefully
will come through.. 

8)

― Carl Sagan

JaneS

SHIRLEY, please send me Gloria's address.  I thought I had your email address but I don't seem to be able to find it.  When you send me the address, I'll save yours too.

Shirley

Will do, Jane..... but anybody interested, click on my name/face, I made sure my e-mail is still there because I wasn't sure with our various break downs the last few years. I know I already have yours Jane, so shouldn't be a problem.

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  SHIRLEY, I got your email and that's the address I have for Gloria.  I was thinking about getting the address of the care home to send cards.   But I guess I'll think about that tomorrow!

We're supposed to have more snow beginning around 2 a.m. and lasting until around noon tomorrow.  I pine for April!

I'm off to the haystack to search for some zzzzzs.  Last night the haystack was loaded with them.  I slept for 7 hours straight!  That's the best night I've had in a long, long, loooooooong time! 

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

well I am late again. went too sleep watching a movie. that will most likely mess with my sleep tonight, But I am going to go take my shot and try for some good sleep,

Lloyd

JaneS

We got and are still getting.....MORE SNOW!

Amy

Good morning...

Jane, please keep it your way!!

No snow here yet but they are calling for it....better get it now and be done with it. Some laundry to deal with and making pies today and that is it.

Sandy, we use pure garlic on our food, no salt. Son has me hooked on Maple Bacon seasoning and I use that  a lot.

Slept in ad had better get a wiggle on to meet the day.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

Get well Gloria and come back in here, you are missed!
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. we are at 9º  well the naps yesterday messed up  my going to sleep last night. laid there with mined on Dailey problems ,got up turned the TV on and watched some movies, went back to bed around 4 A M and
am tired now, need a nap already. hope you all have good day as you Like.

Lloyd

Sandy

" Sandy, we use pure garlic on our food, no salt. Son has me hooked on Maple Bacon seasoning and I use that  a lot."  Amy

That sounds delicious,  and I will keep that
on my future list..    I also like garlic!
Fortunately I don't live with any one who
might not like the smell of garlic!!!!   

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

A cold blast from the Arctic Interior

LISTEN: Sure, Alaska, it's cold. But these chilly days are becoming scarcer
By Casey Grove, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage -February 9, 2021

Even in the face of continued climate warming — as many Alaskans have pointed out the past few days — Alaska can still get cold.

That's as temperatures have dipped to colder than 40 below in parts of the Interior and windchills down to 70, 80 and even 90 below in some places.

National Weather Service climate researcher Brian Brettschneider, back for our Ask a Climatologist segment, says such frigid temperatures have become rarer in recent times but he admits that, even if it's just a handful of days, that's still pretty cold.

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/02/09/listen-sure-alaska-its-cold-but-these-chilly-days-are-becoming-scarcer/

JaneS

Hello my friends!  Today was not a usual day!  After two very normal walks, Mickie bagan to favor her injured leg to the point where she would not even put it on the floor and when I tried to check her out she whimpered.  We mad a trip to the vet just to be sure that she had not broken a bone (she didn't) but the vet thought she might have twisted it and made it sore again.  So she's back on medication until it feels better.  Since she tries to follow me everywhere I go, I was practically tied to the chair with her tight up against me. 

After carrying her up and down the porch steps and into the car to go to the vet and into the vets office and back to the car and then in the house, I'm worn out.  I'm sure glad I didn't favor a big dog when I was shopping!  Now we're ready for the haystack.  So I bid you all GOOD NIGHT!  And I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy, germ-free, no-snow tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Shirley

I'm sure you are down tonight, Jane, can't help be when our fur babies are in pain and scared. Hope the leg is better in the morning. Hugs...

Amy

Good morning ...

Tis a tad chilly out there this morning -4° and I don't think we are going to get much warmer.

Didn't get the pies made so that may be what could get done after I take hubby to the lumber store.

Jane, you have what my friend calls a velcro dog.....sticks right tight to you. Hope she and you feel better this morning.

Patricia, oh my keep the -40° there please. We have had -30 in the past but rather not enjoy it again . :)

Sandy, try the garlic on popcorn.....yummy!!

Gloria, good morning if you get a chance to peek in.

Better get ready to go out..

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
Jimmy Dean