Random Image

Shoes On The Danube

Owner: Radioman34
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of April 3

Started by JoanFL, April 03, 2016, 04:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Good Friday morning, Everyfriend.   There's French Toast to accompany your coffee or tea. Make it a good  day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Geometry

I'm a high-school geometry teacher, and I started one lesson on triangles by reading a theorem. "If an angle is an exterior angle of a triangle, then its measure is greater than the measure of either of its corresponding remote interior angles."

I noticed that one student wasn't taking notes and asked him why.

"Well," he replied sincerely, "I'm waiting until you start speaking English."

Food For Thought

Let The Preacher Do It.
(By Tom Hill)

A lost man came to church one day, seeking for the Lord.
The people round about him yawned, it seems that they were bored.
They had their work, they had their play, they watched him walk away.
Though all knew what they ought to do, as one they seemed to say;
Let the preacher do it.

A poor woman with her children came, her need was very plain,
The people walked around her wide and refused to see her pain.
They were busy, they couldn't stop, there was much to do that day,
And as she left, her need unmet, as one they seemed to say;
Let the preacher do it.

"Our brother is dead." the preacher said. The people gasped aloud.
"Some help is needed," the preacher pleaded, "Someone from this crowd..."
They looked around, and then looked down. No one could get away.
So home they went, without a thought, and as one they seemed to say;
Let the preacher do it.

Who will come, we only need one, to clean the church this week?
"I can't" said one. "I won't" thought another, "That's not the job I seek."
Upset, in a huff, Don't we do enough! They grumbled on their way.
Too good to sweep, too proud to mop, as one they seemed to say;
Let the preacher do it.

Millions are dying, while others are trying their game scores to increase.
The battles' not lost, but consider the cost in souls lest you never have peace.
Your best you must give, if for Christ you will live, and serve Him in every way.
The job won't get done, and souls won't be won, if as one you continue to say;
Let the preacher do it.

Thought of the Day

“Life is about balance.  Be kind, but don’t let people abuse you.  Trust, but don’t be deceived.  Be content, but never stop improving yourself.”

~ Nishan Panwar

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Kelly

Amy

God morning everyone..

A light dusting of snow graced the ground during the night, nothing to worry about unless there is more to come.

We also had to eat what was put in front of us at home. I was lucky I liked almost everything...vegetable marrow was one I did not but ate it anyway. My sis did not like parsnips or turnip..and had to sit at the table to finish but most often Mom would wait till Dad was reading his paper then discard them in the garbage. Desert was jello,custards , canned fruit and pies/cakes on the weekend.

I used the rule that my children had to at least taste something...not just say they didn't like it. For the most part they did eat everything put in front of them. Being on a farm and having your own meat plus fresh vegetables out of the garden gave us a nice supply. On weekends I would bake 4-6 pies ,butter tarts and cookies......if I was short on eggs ,a trip to the hen house lifting a few hens for eggs fixed that.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Kelly

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I have to be off to get myself ready for the day.  The furnace cleaner will be here at 7 a.m. and as soon as he leaves, I'll be off to the orthopedic dr. to see if I can shed this clunky shoe.  Then I'll be stopping at a store on the way home to see if I can find a comfortable pair of shoes since I don't think I'll be able to wear anything I have at first.

After all that happens, I hope there's time to collapse for a bit before I have to pick up TLH from school.  And when she goes home, I plan to do absolutely nothing!

I wish you all a day of being able to do exactly as YOU wish!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

I presume bis is here someplace,I see post from Amy and kelley. you all Have a great day, I am off in a few seconds to get my good duds on have a early apt. at VA this morning to get my hearing Aid's tuned up and get my device back and paired with my aids to talk hands free on phone, I need to get a good teach here to fix my S&F sight. it wont go back to where it was when i was last here or spell ck dose nothing sept. bring up a blank page,(doesn't even smile,have a great day.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Jane Good morning . Have a good day. and mabey a good breakfeast of liver and onions. or sausage gravey and biskets.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning Kelly, enjoy your day... :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Kelly

Hi Amy
Thank you.

Just done my housework, keep it quiet as not sure house work is allowed to be mentioned!  :)

Kelly

JoanFL

Good morning,  Kelly.  Housew--- gets a demerit!!

Amy--Good morning.  You got "stood up" by the shovel and snowblower.:)  What is vegetable marrow?  You say you baked 4-6 pies.  I can't even bake one--tried many pie crust recipes and all were total failures.

Good morning, Janie.  You have a busy day ahead.  I hope you get rid of the clunky shoe and find some shoes you can wear comfortably.

Lloyd--Good morning.  No liver and onions or sausage and biscuits for me.:)

Kelly

phyllis

I can't bake a good pie either!  And my mother's pies were always wonderful.  If I make a cobbler it will have a biscuit top instead of pie crust.

Up very early this morning.  Woke up at 4 and couldn't go back to sleep so finally got up about 5:30.  I don't know why those sometime sleepless nights happen but I usually can catch up with a nap in the afternoon so I don't worry about it too much.

Make it a good day today!
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  I do the same as you IF I want something that resembles a pie.  My mother couldn't make pie crusts either.  My paternal grandmother was a master with pies.  She'd bake 8-10 at a time, and when I stopped  by she'd allow me to choose one to take home.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

A new day is a dawning and I am trying to stir.  Coffee is on, but the paper has not been brought in yet.  Cleaning lady has to be picked up from the bus.  And again everyone is making me hungry with all this talk about food.

Janie, no high heels.  ;)  I know you will be happy to be back in some regular shoes instead of the "clunky" one.

Joanie, thank you for the breakfast.

Hope everyone is all bright eyed and bushy tailed and rarin to go........

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We had a very pleasant day with our company yesterday and they will be with us again today.  We did go to Ruby Tuesdays for a late afternoon meal and then had a nice evening of playing the card game Hearts.  We did show them our big town of North Augusta with is two short business streets and a few other places like going by our church, which is on the main street right before downtown as is the big Baptist Church.  My BIL is going to go to LoweÅ› with me this morning to help me get some potting soil to my back yard as we want to try some container gardening in some 5 gallon buckets.  We will try one tomato plant and perhaps some herbs as well as some flowers for the two ceramic containers we have. 

I have read all the postings and have to enter the conversation about hating liver--something we had sometimes as I was growing up but not very often in the last 50 years.   

JoanFL

halkel--Good morning.  My housekeepers come tomorrow, so I have today to pick up a bit.:)  I don't plan on going anyplace today.

Larry--Good morning.  It's nice you have your BIL to help you get the things you want from Lowe's.  Enjoy the rest of their visit.

MaryTX

I can't find the post where someone mentioned beef tongue.  I like tongue and it and rabbit were about the only meat we ever had.  My aunt and uncle were Alaskan fishermen and kept us supplied with salmon.  We ate fresh salmon until we were sick of it and as there weren't freezers, Mom canned jars and jars of it in half pint jars. Any possible way canned salmon could be used, we ate it that way. 

After a beef tongue is cooked, the connective tissue/fat removed and the tongue is skinned, you have a good piece of meat.  I fixed it fairly often for my family.  The secret to it is to cook it when no one was around because it does look pretty gross. Remove the connective tissue/fat and skin it and serve it.  No one knew what it was ;D.

As we live in a fairly diverse ethnic area, the stores sell tongue, kidneys, tripe and other parts of animals that most people have never seen or don't want to see!

My digging in the dirt except for planting in planters is over unfortunately.  Gena and I had a nice breakfast and drove to the nursery.  As I got out of the car, my sciatica in my right leg flared.  Between it and the spinal stenosis I've battled for years has finally made me realize I can't do what I have always done :(.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the cool but sunny, 
Rocky Coast of Maine.   

"Cool" is relative,  and for me here
today I am talking in the low 50's. 
It is very nice to see the sun shinning
in my Windows to the World.   

I am thoroughly enjoying
"The Masters"  PGA Golf,  which
is on for most of the day.   
Much better then trying to
ignore the nasty political programs..

So "The Masters"  is a relief for me!!

I don't know if I mentioned this,
(probably did),  my Grand Mothers
name was "Augusta Godfrey Akerley" ... but
everyone called her "Gus" .. 
I kinda like that 

I hope that everyone has a very
good day,  today. 

Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Gloria

Good morning everyone.  Warm but cloudy but at least it isn't raining. Might have showers this afternoon.

CALLIE  like your new avatar with the humming bird at the feeder. Good photo. Just think about Miss Ellen getting an audition in NYC and getting a job there.

HAL  I like it when I can get fresh local peaches, They are picked ripe and taste better, that fuzz lets us know they are native ones.

JOAN  I will look in the hidey hole for some left over DD's. Never did like French toast.
LOL with Geometry. Sounds like a foreign language to me, too. Algebra was bad enough. Let the Preacher Do It is just how too many people think these days. So many are self centered but they will be the first to yell for help and wonder why they do not get any. Like the quote. Thank you for all today's goodies.

KELLY  good morning.

AMY  OK  what is vegetable marrow? We had desserts on Sunday's. My Mom made the best pies I ever had. Of course in those days she used lard and the crust was always tasty and flaky.

JANE  good luck getting rid of the clunky shoe and finding just the right pair of new shoes for the wedding.

LLOYD  have a good day.

PHYLLIS  I hate those sleepless nights, I get them more now than I ever did.

HAL  been a long time since I was raring to go first thing in the morning.

LARRY  glad you are enjoying your sister and BIL's visit.

MARYTX  I am the one who mentioned beef tongue. I was to young to remember how my Mom cooked it but remember we all liked it. I doubt the smell was worse than liver or kidney. To me both stink. Mu husband one day asked me to get tripe.  When I saw what it looked like I never did buy any. Like you my back lets me know there is a lot I can no longer do. Even sitting too long is not nice.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, MaryTX.  Shortly after we moved to Arkansas, a lady on our block invited us for dinner.  When we sat down at the table, I didn't even know what the meat was, but asked and was told it was tongue.  I ate a VERY small piece and that's the last time I ever had that.  My husband liked it, but certainly didn't get any on our dining table.  I do love good salmon steak.  So sorry the sciatica and spinal stenois cause you so much pain.

Sandy--Good morning.  Gus sounds like a male name to me.

Good morning, Gloria.  Yes, there are lemon DDs in the hidey hole.  Thanks for your kindness in acknowledging today's "stuff".

Molly

Good Morning to all good friends - I woke up this morning to the noise of the Yard fellows unloading their tools and mowing.  They recently changed their work schedule to a new STRT time and I guess I'm the first one in this neighborhood.  While they were taking care of my yard, two more teams showed up at neighbors down the street.  Loud, noisy guys, but very thorough!

JANE - I hope you'll share with us the type of new shoe you purchase as I have NOT been able to find comfortable shoes for myself.   When I retired and packed my high heels away, I began wearing tennis shoes and Loafers.  I even have a pair of "dressy" Loafers when I go out with friends.

GLORIA - We've had a couple of interesting articles in our local newspaper (Charlotte Observer) RE this year's fruit which will be in the Farmers' markets soon.  I miss being able to go to the fresh markets in Maryland, but a couple of the local markets near where we live now in Concord, NC offer pretty good choices of fresh products.

I really smiled as I read the comments from Friends here RE the types of food (especially pies) they ate as children.  My maternal grandmother was French and opened a   Fresh Bakery in Portland, OR after she and my Grandfather settled in Portland.  I always heard that her French-inspired" desserts were "absolutely devine."

LARRY - Sure hope you new flowers and/or plants turn out successfully for you.  I've tried several times to start small gardens since we've been in in Concord, NC,  - even had new soil spread all over the yard, but have never been able to keep either plants or seeds which I plant and hope they will bloom.  I have no idea what is preventing them from blooming, but I sure miss a beautiful colorful garden.

Hope all have an enjoyable weekend.  And our THANKS again to the friends who keep Mohamed and Chaps in their prayers.  We are truly grateful.  It's been a tough time for our family.

Molly

CallieOK

Good Morning,

I shivered my way to the thermostat this morning to turn on the heat!  We are in that time of year when the a/c is needed for the afternoon - but if you forget to change back to heat for overnight, it's cold in the mornings.

Neighbor said she saw a hummingbird yesterday so I need to get my feeder out.  (The avatar is a picture from last year) However, we often have "scouts" about this time and then don't see another one until June.

Gloria,  I'm not holding my breath that Ellen will get a performing job in NYC!   I'm sure the audition was an "open one" (anyone can come and wait their turn) and most definitely not for anything On Broadway.
They did meet with some friends yesterday and saw "Fiddler On The Roof" last night.  So they must be managing the subway system.  I don't know their plans for today.

The accountant says my tax forms are ready so I shall brace myself and go pick them up this afternoon. 
May have to come home and take a long nap afterwards!

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, A cloudy day here with possible showers. We had a nice light rain yesterday. Spent two hours at the dentists. Got a thorough cleaning...what a place...all new stuff. have to more Thurs. appts. lined up.

My housekeeper was here early to change sheets and towels, and will return later to do the bi monthly thorough cleaning. She is a real "worker" even dusts  where she has to move stuff.

Bis, are you content with your new housekeepers ? I know you had such good ones earlier.

I have been putting off ordering groceries, so I hope to get it done today and delivered tomorrow. Too many activities around here to distract me.

My Dori will be returning from Idaho this afternoon. I know Gary will be happy to have her home again, and I will too. She has had a wonderful time with her Grandkids, I know.

Time to get myself dressed and out of here so I can disappear during the housecleaning. The library is calling to me..nice and quiet down there, and a good place to just relax. See you later. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Amy

Jimmy Dean

Kelly

Jeanne Lee

Thanks, Amy.  The first mention I ever heard about marrow, or vegetable marrow, was in Agatha Christie's first introduction of Hercule Poirot.   ;D

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JoanFL

Molly--As you've probably read, I can't get anything to grow either.  I'm lucky that the yard crews from the HOA keep all the plantings outside growing and trimmed.  Inside, I have all silk plants/flowers.  I continue to pray for Mohamed and Chaps.

Callie--I haven't had to use my heat in a couple months.  It's a/c 24/7 through at least October.  Hopefully you will get a refund on your taxes.  I haven't gotten the "word" from my accountant yet.  I pay 4 quarterly deposits and still always owe.

June--What are you having done to your teeth?  I still have the housekeepers that I've had for five years, but I think tomorrow will be the last day.  I have yet to find anyone who comes as well recommended as they were.

Amy--Thanks for the link.

JaneS

Well, there's good news and there's bad news....

The good new is that I don't have to wear the clunky shoe any more.  Hallelujah!

The bad news is I can't wear any of the shoes I have including the ones I want to wear to the wedding.  That foot is still swollen and he said that it takes about 6 months total to return to normal.  He also said that the xrays are VERY good and it's right on schecule for healing. 

I stopped at the mall on the way home to look for some shoes that I might be able to wear NOW and I ended up buying a pair of men's crocs.  They have a lace and an adjustable back strap so I can make one fit my normal foot.

The REALLY bad news is that I probably won't be able to wear my silver "dancing slippers" to the wedding.  I sure hope I don't have to wear the Crocs.

Gonna go flop now and see if I can squeeze in a nap before Kiran comes.

Kelly

Hi JaneS
Good to hear your foot is improving.

Do you have much time between now and the Wedding for the swelling to reduce to give you a chance to wear a pair of shoes that you want to with your wedding outfit

Kelly

JaneS

Probably not, Kelly, but I do have time to go shopping.  The wedding is only about 5 weeks away and the 6 months the dr. referred to won't be up until August.