Random Image

Wjoan

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for May 15, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, May 15, 2021, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Good morning, from a not too bad Interior at 54° now, but this afternoon is when it starts cooling down thru Saturday. My osteo is already making itself known. All the joys of aging, I guess.

Gloria, so nice to see your post! I could use a twenty-three-year-old here to bring sparkle; it takes me so much longer to do so little; it's aggravating!

This is the first morning I wasn't awakened by the work nearest the two bridges they're replacing. It sounded like one pipe drilling up and down inside of another pipe. They closed down both bridges late last summer and expect to be done this coming November.

I'm told this is planned to be a twenty-year project. They started in 2008 with widening and repaving roads, putting in more speed bumps, one-way roads, and replacing sidewalks on major arteries. The following year, they did basic roads and then replaced street lights and other electrical poles. The only place spared was the historical districts. Last year was putting in three more pedestrian bridges and a new firehouse in College.

I spoke too soon, the pipe drilling just began again.

The last time the city did this was when I started seventh grade. They tore down all homes with dirt basements in the city center and replaced them with a large city police, fire, and emergency complex. Then in nineteen sixty-seven, they built Alaskaland and moved many historic buildings out there. At that time, they also expanded the city limits and annexed some outlying neighborhoods. It wasn't long after that that they built the first of our pedestrian bridges.

They're always building upon the ridges and flanks of the foothills. I remember a court case where someone was building three stories, neighbors complained of lost views, and the judge ordered the defendant to take off the third story! It won't be long until we're just like Anchorage.

Denver

A good Thursday HELLO to all.
I thought sure I posted here last night, but no sign of it🤔🧐

AMY, I liked your three brakes....happy you did not hit the deer.  Scary when they jump right out in front of you.

SHIRLEY, sure glad your knee is feeling better.  I have been pretty miserable the last couple of days....need to emerge myself in Epsom Salts🤣
My visit to the surgeon went very well.  No more arm sling and many more movements of my arm. So my PT worked me over good😫😘. The Serenity Prayer was my mother's very favorite. 

JANE, as always you are busy busy!  Mickie will be happy you made food.
I sure would like some of your homemade broth.  I made potato soup a couple of days ago and was it ever delicious!

Burrrr, PATRICIA..... do you think it is ever going to warm up in your part of the world? 

Tomorrow is Dave and Michele's 27th wedding anniversary.  She had a oncology appointment today and 2 more appointments tomorrow.  It is so hard for her to get ready, get in the wheelchair and then into the car.  She is so weak and weary😩😩 We are all so very 💔 for her😩

I wish you all a good rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Patricia, you need a set of ear protection to have available when the noise begins.Saw a couple of flocks of geese and they were headed north.

Jenny, had to slow down today for momma, poppa and baby goose crossed in front of us.

After telling hubby that in all the years we have been here I have yet to see a snake...well can't say that anymore. We may get frost tonight so out I went lowering lids on trugs and covering everything else with tarps.  Noticed that the cucumbers I put in the ground were up so reached for another tarp.........got more than I bargined for..out slithered a snake :yikes:  He was a good sized one that scurried rather fast and into the compost bin.....bless his heart. I don't mind snakes, rather think they are interesting but also know not to say anything to himself as he would .....well lets not go there and let the snake live.  :thumbup: 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Today was a pretty nice day!  The temps only went into the mid to high 70s and there was a slight breeze.  After this we're supposed to have three days of off and on rain.  We need it so I'm not complaining.  And when Mickie and I have to go for a walk, we'll just have to run between the drops!

I went to lunch with the office ladies from my years working for Pennsylvania House Furniture.  We try to do it once a month but we're about a year behind because of the Pandemic.  It's nice to be with them again. 

When I got home, Frankie and Cooper were here and she was using my shopvac to clean out her car.  When she was finished, we made a group trip to WM to get some groceries.  We did a lot of talking to and from the store and after we got home we did a lot more until she decided she better get her groceries home before everything melted!

It was a fun and productive day and now I'm going to rest and watch TV.

JENNY, I hope Michele gets all good reports from her Dr. visits.
 If anyone deserves them, she sure does.

AMY, I've seen lots of snakes in my camping days...some poisonous and some not.  But I must say, I've never gotten used to them!  I've been up close and personal with rattle snakes and black snakes but it's not something I'd like to do again!  You can keep yours where they are!
 And I'm with "him".  It sounds like we prefer the same treatment of snakes!

I'm hanging up the tools and hitting the sofa right after I go for a last walk with Mickie.  It's just about the right time!  Have a good rest of the day and a good night, too!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning...

Nice cloudy day here with the threat of rain , much needed rain.
Not much on for today other than piling wood. BBL

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

so_P_bubble

patricia19

Good morning from a chilly Interior at 38°. Snow is in the forecast for tonight thru Saturday!  "One More Night of Cold Overnight Lows Friday Night...

Low temperatures will fall into the upper 20s to mid-30s for much of the Interior tonight.

Low temperatures will fall into the lower 30s in the Fairbanks area and around 30 in North Pole, with even colder temperatures in the normal cold spots in the valley. Low temperatures in Delta Junction and Nenana will also fall to around freezing. Temps warm back up on Saturday and Sunday, with overnight lows staying above freezing.

Residents should prepare to move plants indoors if possible or cover them to protect them from the cold."

There are unseasonal lows in both the midwest and Northeast parts of this country, as I understand it. It seems cold everywhere.

Amy

Half the wood has been piled and tomorrow hopefully the last half will be piled.

Son called and said he was driving in snow and at his home it started to snow at 7:30 am!! Asked him kindly please don't share :)

Patricia, I didn't uncover ours left them on until tomorrow..and hope the weather is a little better. We now have a fire on to chase away the chill.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Howdy!  it's been a busy, rainy day here!  the rain started about noon and has continued rather steadily ever since.  Mickie and I braved it twice but only for shorties!  She doesn't seem to like walking in it any more than I do.

Frankie will be here soon.  We're doing dinner together.  She's cooking part of it and I'm cooking part of it and we're eating it together!  She's pounding the pavements looking for a new job but my son and his buddy both reminded her that she's eligible for unemployment compensation so she's filling out that application too.  She's a busy little gal!

Mostly what I did today was cook meat ahead for dog food.  I have 4 packs of cooked ground turkey in the freezer and chicken cooked that still needs to be picked apart and bagged for future meals.  It also gave me two nice quarts of chicken broth for later use in recipes.  Right now it's in the freezer but when I get enough, I'll can it.  It's just easier to use out of a jar. 

I hope you are all having a better day today than yesterday and I hope you all have an even better one tomorrow! 

JaneS

Thank you, Bubble for reminding me of the evolution of our flag.  I've seen something similar to that before but that one was very well done and I enjoyed watching it!

JaneS

I just stopped by to say goodnight but I guess I have to say it to myself.  "Good Night, Jane...and anyone else who is off to the haystack"

Shirley

Good night, Jane & everyone peeking in. Was cooler today but to my liking. I'm already dreading summer. I did get my weed whip out & trimmed the berm, it certainly needed it! Doesn't take much to wear me out these days. The battery on the weed whip lasts longer than I do!  Went down to the river to feed fish & discovered it is up higher than it was, over my path that goes to the water edge. I'm all but asleep so better get jammies on & get horizonal... Sweet dreams & God Bless!

Amy

Good morning...

Another cool day and we do have a fire on. Nice sunny day and cool enough to finish piling that wood. Laundry day and wood piling is about it for me today.

Jane, I was so tuckered last night, I was all in with my shoe laces and yours too!!  Saying good night to yourself meant you were talking with a very nice lady, a special one to me!

Shirley  what happened to the ever ready battery we had when young? I find that I can only go so long and then have to sit a moment...never used to be like that..

Patricia, will uncover my plants today and hope I don't have to recover tonight..

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning to whoever shows up today...especially AMY who already showed up.

About that battery...replacements don't seem to be available.  I've checked Amazon, WalMart, Target...even the grocery stores.  No one has the right size and shape.  So I guess we have to be responsible for recharging ourselves.  Oh well, I guess that's better than just tossing it and giving up!

I'm on my way to the recycling this morning.  I hope they're open in the rain because I don't want to load, unload and reload again.  Then when Frankie is up we're hitting the weed recycle center.  I can't do that on my own because I don't live in the borough. 

I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

phyllis

It is a cloudy day here but will be cooler than the last few days have been so that is OK with me.

I don't have a lot to talk about.  I sleep a lot.  I sit down for a few minutes and fall asleep almost immediately.  I bought some baby back ribs for the weekend "special" meal but we'll see if they get cooked or not. 

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

patricia19

Good morning from an Interior in the thirties. We did get an overnight dusting of snow, but it warmed up to a steady rain that melted snow. Temperatures are expected to begin climbing Sunday again.

No much going on here; I just haven't had any energy or mood to get back to what needs to be done. I hope today will be better. There is a potluck Memorial Day picnic arranged, but since I've had no gumption to head out to a grocery store for anything, I probably won't go altho I may surprise myself.

As you can see, my bright-eyed, bushy-tailed self has moved on to greener, hopefully, less cliched pastures.

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Rain for the whole weekend here. Not nice for the holiday that welcomes summer  weather. From just looking at the forecast today it will not get out of the 40's. Of course the heat is off in this building and our maintenace man is no longer here to fight the witch to turn the heat  on for all us older folks. New man will take over on Tuesday. I know yes trday I was wrapped in a blanket  most of the day. Looks like a week end of eating soup, good to warm the innards.

LLOYD  if I could and was a witch I would put a spell on Bob and you would keep your family home. Wonder  if someone (like the devil) put him up to all the meaness he is showing now. He will pay in the end for what he is doing to  youand your family.

JANE  I sure hope Frankie gets  the job she wants. When one has to work and support themselves it is better if the pay is good and a job you enjoy.

AMY  at least st acking the wood will keep you warm. Glad I didn't put a pair of geemagotchees away for the summer. Didn't see them until yesterday and they help keep me a little wa rmer. Have sweatshirts and even a warm vest. If I could do like I used to I would keep myself warm by doing housework.

SHIRLEY  we had a thunder stor m a few nights ago and everyone was asking how I liked the loud booms and bright flashes-I slept through it all and heard nothing. When I fal asleep I never hear any thing. This is a "safe" building, no one gets in unless we let them in. Need a fod to get into the lobby but who is to stop someone from coming in when you do, maybe a thief o r whatever. My apartment door is always locked. A habit for more than 50 years.

JANE  where we had our house in the woods across the street were a lot of wild Dogwood but hot a nice an the ones we grow.

PATRICIA  when replacing some bridges here the meassure and build them, then they take out the old one and move in the new one. They did one major bridge that way from from the company my oldest son workd for, he was a welder and when the moved it into place they moved the bridge on 2 barges up the river to get it into place. He was on one of the barges. If anything snapped he was there to weld it in place. Bridges are out of order  for only a short time that way. Hours instead of weeks or months.

JENNY  my heart goes out to your daughter in law. She is always in my prayers.

AMY  I don't even like the wor d snake. If I see on on a TV I will shut it off. I was scared by a rattler  when I was 6 or  7 and my scream rushed 2 brothers out and they killed it. That scare still lasts I cannot even see the name without shuddering.

BUBBLE  thanks for the history of our US flag. Will send that to family. I do love the  US flag and I wish people would fly it  more that just on holidays or when a  terrible event happens like the 9/11 day the planes went into those buildins in New York and DC.

PHYLLIS  you sound like me with falling asleep  I can take something out of the freezer to cook later and either forget about it or not feel like eating it after it is thawed. I have thrown away more food than ever and tha t is a sin when other s don't have enough.

My son has been and gone like every Saturday morning and he brought me some nice fruit. That I can eat anytime. I give him money every month to get me something I forgot or he sees he knows I like. I started this over 3 hours ago, time to get away from the computer and at least get the bed made, might warm me up a little.

Have a great day and stay healthy and safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

It was so nice to come by and see PHYLLIS and GLORIA here today!  Stop back and check in again soon. 

I'm heading for the haystack to collect some of those zzzzzs that I hear calling my name.  We had a cold day today.  It stayed in the 50s all day and there was a cold breeze and no sun and a lot of rain.  Not my kind of day but we did need the rain.  Tomorrow is supposed to me "more of the same" according to the weather predictions.

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  Make the best of it whatever it brings! 

Amy

Good morning..

Have a fire on again this morning...we did get a dandy frost over night. I did cover up the plants but there were a few that didn't get covered..hope they survived the frost!

No wood to pile :thumbup:  finished the last  of it yesterday.Today is a day of rest..will uncover the plants and just enjoy the day.

Gloria, we have been so lucky, no bugs and cool enough weather for piling wood. You do work up a sweat but it sure could have been worse.

Phyllis,
Maybe your meds are the cause of the naps?

Patricia, bright eyed and busy tailed...I remember when but like you that phase has gone. I am beginning to like it too..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I remember those day too, PATRICIA and AMY and Everyone!  They were good days with good people but time passes and back in "the olden days"  we didn't have computers and I didn't have all of you.  Now, when I tell my kids I have good friends all over the country and in some foreign countries too, they are impressed.  Heck! I'm impressed!

Today is another church day and I have to get moving so I'll be ready to leave on time.  I really enjoyed actually being there last week.  It felt good!  I"ll say a prayer for all my friends all over the world!  Enjoy your day!

Shirley

And as Callie would say, "Super Sunday to y'all"........something like that.  ;)  I've been to church & took Andy & Pam to breakfast at a special place. Really yummy food. Got the pool opened yesterday & it looks down right pretty this morning already. I do with the least amount of chemicals so only chlorine tablets in 2 floaters & let it circulate all night. Need to vac today as it dumped a lot of dirt to the bottom. Thinking maybe a nap first, cloudy & good sleeping weather.

patricia19

Good morning from the Interior, where it started at a rainy fifty-eight and is expected to end at seventy-one, so that's seemingly back on track!

Gloria, here they usually work on the underwater bridge platform first. Then they barge up the upper parts on barges and use giant cranes to lift them into place before securing them. They started in November and plan to have both bridges secured and operating this fall. They've done others, but this is the first time in my memory that they've done two of the five main downtown bridges. In the twenties and thirties, the rivers or ice would wash out all five bridges, and they'd rebuild each spring.

Then, pre-WWII, the city started damming some of the rivers from the west side in the early forties. In the late forties, early fifties, they finished more dams, but then the polio epidemic happened, which delayed everything until the mid-sixties.

I've only seen snakes in zoos until my time (five years) in the South, and despite all the tales told to me, I saw only one long black snake undulating across a road. In-laws told me after my daughter, and I had gone wading in a creek about water moccasins and jumping snakes after I had made a habit of cutting through the tall grass.

I was even warned about rattlers in our woodpile and to let the guys bring in our wood. I never saw any snake in those five years other than the road crossing black snake. Who evidently hadn't gotten the memo to hide from the tourist!

I retired in November 2014. Before that, it was eight or more hours in the evening or overnight, punctuated on each end by two separate bus rides. I normally had the first two days of the week off and slept the first day or had separated days off. I managed to finish all my chores and laundry in a four hours or less time period. Not any more!

My dad used to yell up the stairs every morning for us three to get up, be downstairs, dressed, and "bright-eyed and busy-tailed" promptly as he had to leave for work!

JaneS

PATRICIA, when we were school kids, if my dad was home when it was time for us to get up, he stood at our door and sang his version of Reveille!  And he didn't stop until we sat up so it was no use trying to ignore him.  I remember one time when I was out of bed and my sister said, "It's Saturday!  We get to sleep in!"  He laughed and I hit the bed!

patricia19

Jane, I like your version of morning wake-up call better! Mom had usually already left for work, and Dad had to be leaving for his. We had to be fully dressed, bathroom visited, school papers at hand, and downstairs before he left.

He was very business-like and in a hurry, so we knew not to dawdle! To this day, I can recite what was on the radio, (Plumbing and heating commercial, weather/roads report), at breakfast; it made such an impression.

JaneS

Night time is upon us and I'm ready for it!  I know we need the rain but rainy, dreary days make me tired.  I don't know why that is but it is!  Mickie and I had our two long walks between the rain but it was cold today.  It never made it past 54 degrees!  I thought Spring had sprung!

PATRICIA, when my parents watched my kids when my husband and I travelled, I told them about reveille before we left.  They said that was OK but they changed their minds when it actually happened.  I told them to get used to it because it was going to be that way whenever their grandparents were around and they eventually did.  I even heard Cindy doing it to her kids when I visited them in Texas!

I'm trying to use up food that's been around for a while and my plan for today was to french fry some sweet potatoes in the air fryer.  When I got them out, not only were they not sweet potatoes, they had one really bad one right in the middle.  So I picked out the good ones, peeled them and made scalloped potatoes.  Then I had a trial package of Southwest Chipotle Chicken in the freezer so I took that out and thawed it.  I didn't know what I was getting because I've never bought this before.  But it turned out pretty good.  I added some frozen peas and I had supper tonight and packed three more suppers for later. 

I'm listening to the tribute to veterans on the TV while I'm typing and it's pretty good.  I might go out and watch the end of it before I go to bed.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy holiday tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Amy

Good morning..

Nice sunny morning here..need to uncover the plants and let them enjoy it . Need to put in and order at the hardware store then pick it up..take garbage to the dump later on and plant some more beans,

Yesterday was spent relaxing other than washing up the dogs bedding. Lots of sitting out on the porch drinking tea too!

Jane, thanks for the reminder I have sweet potatoes to use up.

Better get a move on ..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning AMY and anyone who comes in later.
 It's almost time for the boinger and that will be breakfast for Mickie and me.  Right after I finish, Mickie will tell me (in no uncertain terms) that it's time for a walk.  And so the day begins....   Make it a good one...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Amy

Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Beautiful, Amy. It is a day to remember all those years and all those relatives & friends that have gone before. It is pouring rain here (thanks, Callie!) and looks like it might go on for quite a while. Had enough last night to fill the pool back to the top & I had drained it down to the proper level for circulating. The trees aren't moving at all down along the river but the tree I see out my front window is waving around like crazy. Cats are fed and now my turn. No plans for the day, had a busy night dreaming so in a funny (not haha) mood. Wishing all a wonderful day.  :wave: