Random Image

Fe with butterfly

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for June 1, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, June 01, 2021, 01:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Good morning from a bright and sunny interior, with a low of seventy and a high in the mid-eighties. However, apparently, that is no longer good news with seventy-three active state fires and five of those surround our city.

No present smoke as the winds are in opposite directions but there was this early morning warning, "Red Flag Warning issued June 24 at 4:09AM AKDT until June 24 at 9:00PM AKDT by NWS Fairbanks

Middle Tanana Valley
...RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM AKDT THIS
EVENING FOR MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY...
* AFFECTED AREA...Middle Tanana Valley.
* TIMING...Noon to 9 pm today.
* WINDS...South 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* HUMIDITY...As low as 25 percent.
* TEMPERATURES...72 to 80.
* IMPACTS...Rapid ignition, growth, and spread of fires will be
possible.
A Red Flag Warning means that conditions are occurring or will
occur which could lead to the development of large and dangerous
fires. It is directed toward fire agencies, and through them, to
the public.
Please advise the appropriate officials or fire crews in the
field of this Red Flag Warning."

Mother Nature is on a tear this year with her consort, Climate Change.

patricia19

Jane, it sounds as if Frankie was lucky to find employment fast, and that isn't always easy, good for her! I wish we had closer markets, or I had easier and closer transportation!

The three farmer's markets are open, and trade is evidently brisk as it's reported. But, I live off the town center, and both major markets are on opposite ends. I have a date with Claire for the third or fourth of next month, so I'm preparing a growing list.

Jenny, in the two weeks following my daughter's death, I was numb. You do what you can when you can and hold to that. All else is superfluous. I am so sorry this has happened to you and Bob and especially to Dave and her three children.

We were a Noxema family for years, mom insisted, and I'm glad she did.

Amy, I see in my planner that Canada has two national holidays this week, last Monday and today. Does everything close, or is it business as usual? I apologise  for my ignorance. As a child, we, Alaskans, shared schools sometimes when borders were close until the seventies and often celebrated each other's holidays.

I need to find something to keep me busy today. I'm avoiding the bathroom. Last January, I succumbed to fads and purchased a 24 pocket net shoe bag for the back of the bathroom door. Pinterest was featuring this as an organizing tool, and I should have known better. It doesn't appeal; it clunks when you close the door; nothing is at hand. Clearly, I should have thought that through!

Gloria, I, too, remember tomato sandwiches on hot days, so cool and so good! We would cook our bacon in a rack in the oven, crispy and never sitting in all that grease. I'm sure Lloyd and Nancy are busy with the sale and with moving. I'm so sorry about what happened with them.

Joy, has had some issues, too, but I hope to see her return. I, too, remember taking three or more hours to make it through the daily site!

Good morning Phyllis. I had a large cucumber with sour cream and dill salad on the 14th, I believe. It was so chilled and good, and I just nibbled on and off and on until it was suddenly, unfortunately, gone. I need to make more.

When we went blueberry or another picking, per bears, it was always planned with more than one family and children and dogs. The noise alone kept the bears away. Now I do all my picking at the local farmer's markets.

Amy

Patricia,we had Indigenous Peoples Day and today is a Quebec holiday.....not fur us. Very few holidays close businesses anymore..

Jane, where are you? Did a case of the slam shuts get you???
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

RAMMEL

Quote from: phyllis on June 24, 2021, 11:29:11 AMSpeaking of Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwiches...that is what we had for supper last night.  I had a tomato that needed to be used.  Unfortunately, it wasn't fresh out of my garden, Amy, but did come from a local farmer's garden via Papa Spud's.  It was good.  I discovered that bacon cooks very nicely in the air fryer so I'll do that again.  Easy clean up, too .  We also had some local sliced cucumbers with it and fresh N.C. blueberries.  It was a good meal.

Try adding a slice or two of American Cheese to it the next time. This is making me salivate :-)
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

It's past my bedtime but I never get there on time anyway. Got something from an old school friend that I though y'all might enjoy..... Sweet dreams to all... and God Bless.  Shirley
Lost Words From Those Of Us Lucky Enough To Have Lived Through the 1950's

Mergatroyd!   Do you remember that word?  Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd?  Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly, (I say 75), lady said something to her son about driving a   Jalopy;   and he looked at her, quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?"  He had never heard of the word jalopy!  She knew she was old ... But not that old!
Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory   after you read this and chuckle.
About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days, we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker ,   to   straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy!   Gee whillikers!   Jumping jehoshaphat, Holy moley!
We were in like Flynn and   living the life of Riley ; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill.   Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell,   but when's the last time anything was swell?
S well has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say,   "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or,   "This is a fine kettle of fish!"      We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent - as oxygen - have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind.  We blink, and they're gone.  Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it.   Hey!  It's your nickel.     Don't forget to pull the chain.   Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks!     Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers.   Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than   Carter has liver pills.     This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...  See ya later, alligator!   Okidoki.  You'll notice they left out        "Monkey Business"!!!

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN .. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS:  LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

JaneS

Hi Everyfriend!  I've been up to my eyeballs in "BUSY"!  It started first thing this morning when I realized that I forgot to make dogfood before I went to bed.  I managed that in time to fee 2 doggies.  When Frankie has an early start to her working day, she cuts a little time by not feeding Cooper and I do it for her when he gets here.  He arrived at 6:30 this morning.

Then after checking to make sure the water wasn't running brown from the water line flushing, I threw in some laundry, threw on some clothes and too the doggies for their walk.  When we got back, I cleaned up the kitchen, put the clothes in the dryer and headed for the shower. 

Today was lunch out with my former PA House Furniture Co. co-workers.  I always enjoy that and I did today but when I got home, the first thing the doggies wanted was a walk.  So off we went.  And we were barely back until Frankie came to get Cooper.  Tomorrow he'll come a bit later.  She has a Dr. appt at 11 and then work at 1 so she'll drop him before the appt and leave him until she gets back from work.

After that, I took the laundry out of the dryer and put the second load in the dryer, folded and put away, then folded an put away the second load, had supper, watched Matlock on TV had ice cream and suffered a bout of slam shuts!  And here I am!  What a day!

And a note just popped up that SHIRLEY has posted!  So I guess I'll go see what she has to say and then post this thing!

SHIRLEY, I always get a charge out of those but this time it reminded me of something that just happened here.  Frankie and I were talking about how tired we both were and I mentioned that my feet felt like I was wearing "clodhopper".  She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and said "What the heck are clodhoppers?"

Good night, all!  I wish you a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

RAMMEL

If anyone is still up, there is a beautiful Full Moon out there tonight. It is called a "Super Moon". The last one of 2021. It is clear here and the moon is very bright as it is full and at it's close point to Earth.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JaneS

Rammel, I've been watching that moon grow and I did see it tonight when I took Mickie out for her last outie!  It's gorgeous!

RAMMEL

Usually when we have an event like this (A sky event) here it is overcast and we miss it. I guess that's why I'm so impressed tonight. I will go out again before bed and look again. Nothing going on tomorrow so I can stay up as late as I want.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Amy

Good morning..

Off in a bit to pick up groceries then home to work. Managed to get a lot done in the back garden yesterday and noticed the carrots have finally decided to grow up!

Not a cookie in the house so maybe baking is also in order today..

Shirley, everyone swore by Caters Liver pills.

Best shake a leg and get ready for town.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

A quick Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's going to be another
one of those days" around here.  I need to make a quick trip to WM to pick up a few things and get my hair trimmed if they aren't swamped. 

After that, I need to get ready for company!  My daughter is coming tomorrow and I just heard she's bringing me a "very large" cabbage out of her garden and some fresh eggs from her chickens.  I think I might make and can cole slaw with the cabbage!  I have one jar of last year's left and it sure does taste good in January.

I forgot to mention that one of the gals who comes to the PA House lunches brought me a dozen pint canning jars and mentioned that she has lots more if I need them.  And another gal saw them and said she has a bunch of the half cup size jars and some of the half pint jelly jars if I want them.  I do!  She's bringing them to our next gathering!  I passed out jam at the last gathering and they loved it!

Forgot to mention....the rhubarb juice is really good.  I wish I'd doubled the recipe.  Rhubarb is almost over here!

I wish you all a good day!  Better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

Shirley

Waking up to 75°, sticky hot. The radio man just commented on the "Monster Moon" hanging low over the sky this morning, but I didn't get up in time to see it. I usually try to capture photos of the special moons, and like you said, Rick, usually it's overcast and not an option.

Listened to local news for a few minutes & then started straightening up before the next termite man comes to inspect. I was NOT impressed with the young man that came yesterday but will probably have to go with his company to have the 5 year guarantee so I won't have to deal with termites again if & when I'm ready to give up this house.

Got the front sprinklers running, the yard doesn't look too bad but the sweet gum tree is shedding leaves. When it did this one year I checked with the extention office & was told that "these trees put on more leaves than they can support if it gets too hot & dry so they shed them". This tree is huge & one I pulled up as a seedling, put in a pot & few years before my husband died, he planted it in the front yard. The year before he died he was so excited when he saw it had ONE of those little spikey balls near the top. Now it dumps bushels every summer/fall and I have so many little seedlings of sweet gum & red bud trees I pull them up & often they get ahead of me so I cut them down. I would love to have a forest of trees to live in/under, I do hate summer. ::)

Cats stayed out last night but waiting at the door for salmon breakfast. Time for me to grab a bite & do what I have time for with a 10:30 inspection.

I've been digging out closets & the storage under beds and sorting clothes piled up in the basement ironing room. Piles to get rid of, some to take to my sister that I never wore because after putting on would find they are too hot for me. She is cold natured so always happy to see me bring a pile of things I never wore. She doesn't have one of the "Half of half" price stores. Every time I try to clean out something happens I must stop & hide the piles and start all over later. Best part is often I come up with shirts or slacks/jeans that feel great on or just what I've been wishing for & forgot I had. I went shopping this week, more to get out than anything, and my fav store was having a big sale. I spent a whole $20 for about $600-$700 worth of clothes (still had factory tags on, best names). I always wash everything I buy, mainly to get the "sizing" out but with germs being a focus this year.... that, too. Means I have ironing to do but also half a dozen pairs of pants & 4 tops new for the summer. I do buy long pants to cut off just below the knee, never liked short shorts if working in the yard.

So that's my morning report. Sure is sticky hot with this door open. Cats wanted breakfast in the pool area so I served!  My glasses should be back (again) today so that'll be a trip to the optometrist this afternoon, so another shower & wash hair before I go. Haha, can't do anything without a shower first these sweaty days!

Wishing all a happy day..... what was that song, "Happy days are here to stay... dum-de-dum". No time to look it up so it'll be running thru my head until I do Google!  Shirley

Gloria

Good morning everyone. This will be very short. Of all days to sleep late I have a CNA comin‌g at 10  and she is one I do not care for.  I reallly miss Yvette. Have to have breakfast and dress before she gets here.

Better get a move on or she will be here and I will not be ready for her. She is one I keep an eye on or she will just sit and not do what she is paid for.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Shirley

Okay, I came to sob & whine. The 2nd termite guy was so much nicer I think I will go with his company/proposal. Have sent both estimates to my kids to look over for their opinions. Had the call my glasses were ready but told them I had to wait until the estimater left. SO hot already. Picked up glasses, had short visit with the optometrist, about 90 but enjoys working 2 days a week for "contact". Was a good girl and didn't pick up any fast food, got home & garage door wouldn't open... went up a few inches & slammed back down, at least 4-5 times. SO my remote works for both doors (separate buttons) it wasn't a problem except couldn't get the car inside with storm warning just issued. Wire was dangling, Overhead Door sticker right next to the controls so made the call for repairs before even coming in the house. They called to confirm "next free man would take care of my problem".  Didn't take long before he was here & found the spring had broken. Got new one put on and all's well. $185. for today, but glad to get the car inside before hail. Now it looks like the storm has slipped right past Wichita! I am getting the feeling "somebody up there doesn't like me".... but I'm taking care of the cats, what more can I do???? Another day in Kansas!

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

hahahaha.... glad I came back, I needed that, Rick!

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  I had a nice phone chat with Joy's daughter-in=law today.  Joy is still in rehab and has about 2 more weeks to go.  Her DIL says she's doing well and is anxious to get home.
 I told her to tell Joy that we all asked about her and that we all miss her and are hoping to see her back soon.  She promised that she would do that!

Also finished my cleaning for company and lots of doggie walking.  Made some egg salad to have for lunch tomorrow, when Christy is here, put a bunch of stuff away and tidied up.  Have to water the plants early in the morning so they're not gasping for water when the sun comes up.

I planned to do some more laundry today but I met the guy from the water company down at the end of the block and remarked that this must be my neighborhood's day for "brown water" and he said, "you're right about that!"  So I put off the laundry for another day.

I going to turn on the DW before I hit the haystack so we have dishes to use over the weekend while Christy is here and then I'm conking out!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow. And may God bless us, every one!

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S, thank you for getting in touch with our Joy's relative and filling us in on her absence from our forum...
" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning
We had rain most of the night and looks as though it will continue during the day. Last night the neighbour phoned to say one of the baby birds fell out of the birdhouse  in the garden. Out I go to see just where he is and found him in the garden,,,huddled ruffled feathers from the rain. Handed the escapee to the neighbour while I went for a ladder. Put him back in his house and hoped momma would feed him.

Today a friend is having her garage sale, not a good day weather wise but needs to get rid of a lot before they move. He is going into a nursing home and she is finding a place to live near him. This is so sad ,that they can't be in a place together. They also have a dog  and I hope she can look after Harley.

Shirley, oh my what a day you had!! Don't you hate it when the garage door won't open? We have had to call the repair man once on this door and he was quick to fix. Kyle usually can fix the problem but it needed a new part to work properly.

Jane, how did you make your rhubarb juice and what do you use it for? This is also the first time I have heard of canning cole slaw...please explain that one also :) Have fun with Cristy. Thank you for the update on Joy, she is missed for sure.

Gloria, our plants and trees are giddy with relief from the rain. We are to get rain for the next few days and that saves me from watering. The potato plants are just about to break out in flower.

Patricia, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Better get..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning!  This will be a quickie because I have to get out and water the plants before it gets too hot.  And I still have some stuff to do before Christy gets here.

AMY, I drink the rhubarb juice and I didn't make enough.  The recipe called for 8 pounds of rhubarb and I cut it in half and I'm already sorry because rhubarb is almost finished here. 

As for the canned cole slaw, it's not really cole slaw.  It's more like pickled cabbage because there's no mayo in it.  It's a new recipe and I'm thinking I might try adding the mayo when I open a jar.  Everything else is in there and it's not like the pickled cabbage recipe I tried a couple years ago.  That was REALLY sour!  I used it all up but never did it again.  This is a new recipe.  I'm going to try it on the "really big" (her words) head of cabbage Christy is bringing me today!  I post a report!

Now I have to throw on some clothes and go water the plants.  I hope the birdie is OK.  Poor little guy!

Have a good day everyfriend....better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Shirley

New day, still a light rain but tad cooler, 70°, cats ate their salmon. Tom sitting under overhang  in the pool area already but Tiger sitting inside at the door, thinking about it. Callie wanted breakfast in the garage & will go back to sleep. She is getting old and not as eager to put up with the outside world. I've been shocked that she isn't the least interested in the strangers around as long as I'm here she feels safe.

Thank you, Jane, for checking on Joy. I know I'd be better if having re-hab to strengthen these lazy muscles but couldn't leave with the cats (and my doctors know that). Too bad she doesn't have a computer with her, I'd be lost not being able to visit y'all. Truly would. My good friend here in town has been doing some exercises at home and is convinced she is much stronger with a more positive attitude about our ages (she is 10 days younger than I am).

Amy, when we lived in Leawood (heart of KC), we had very tame cardinals that built a nest right outside the sun room door. I had no problem keeping an eye on the eggs & babies. Cardinals do build lousy nests & had a neighbor where we lived before, we actually put a piece of screen wire UNDER the nest to anchor it in the evergreen, Mom & Pop thanked us when we put babies back in and no more problems. The ones in Leawood were not the best of parents but didn't mind when I plunked those babies back in the nest so many times. They (both parents) didn't show up one week end, was several days, so I mixed my instant mashed potatoes & scrambled egg & fed them every few hours all day and fixed a shoe box with shredded paper in the bottom, and brought the babies inside for 2 or 3 nights. Would you believe that Mom & Dad showed up like nothing wrong and continued feeding the babies until time for them to learn to fly???  The lady that lived in the house before stopped by a few times to ask about the cardinals, she had spoiled them, I think! It doesn't take much to make me happy, just wildlife to watch! Sorry to hear about your friend's situation, a day everyone dreads. Best wishes for her & Harley.

Need to open the gate so Tom & Tiger can venture out into the grass without having to climb the fence. I prop it open for Callie because she struggles with climbing the wire part of the fence like a ladder instead of going up the wood posts. The wire part is rubber coated so doesn't hurt her, but she is getting old..... Have regulation 5' fence around the whole back yard so is okay to leave the pool fence/gate open in daytime. At night I don't want the fox to be able to come in to capture the cats, this is their safe spot! The fox bone structure is small enough to slip through the 5" space between wrought iron fence.

The neighbor that has the chickens got some babies this spring & said one turned out to be a rooster. Told them I love to hear them crow so hope nobody else complains. Not supposed to have roosters in town. I have the door open & first time I've heard him except when he was practicing the other day...mid-day! They were down to 2 of the 6 started with. Fox got in the yard one night & killed one or two & another managed to fly off & someone in the next block found it & called to ask if I might know who it belonged to. Another just died. They built such an elaborate house for them & absolutely no smell or flies so I was glad when they got more. I think 6 is the limit in town.

And that's my world this June 12,2021.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, a "soupy" one here. misty and humid at 67. Going up to 80's before day is over. Another heat wave in the for mid week. Glad I went outside when we had the beautiful days.

SHIRLEY  think it is  time to think of selling t ha t house and move  to something smaller? Seems like small things happen lately. Glad they sent sone to fix the garage door so fast. I can unders tand why you wanted your car inside away from hail like you get out there.

JANE  good thing you saw that man from the water department and put off doing laundry. Can you imagine wha t white/light colored things would look like if the rusty water got to them. Enjoy your dompany. Thank you for the update on Joy.

AMY  that poor little bird. I had read before that a mama would not want a baby after a huma handled them I hope that is not true. It would be cruel for her to starve it or push it out of the nest. My SIL has put a watering system in the raised beds they made for my daughter's garden. My daughter turns it on and sets the timer and it goes off automatically. The wa ter sinks into the soil and waters  the roots so oes not dry up into the dry heat they have. She has already picked some zucchini and of course lettuce. I tod her wha tyou said about eggshells and she showed me a bag full of the shells she has already pu t some around her toma toes. Been doing it for a few years already.

Be t ter get a move on and get my breakfast before my son gets here.
Have a good day and keep cool and safe.

Amy

Good morning..
Not sure what is happening but I can only see Gloria's post from yesterday morning ???

Another lovely day here.humid though so the a/c will go on.
A day of rest here... will survey the garden after the downpours from yesterday and hope everything is not beaten to a pulp!

Enjoy your day and stay safe..
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

AMY  all I see  is your post this morning since I poste d yesterday. Hope the other s are  just too busy and nothing is wrong with them or the  site. Nothing going on here. I live a ve ry dull and boring life .

Stay safe and healthy .

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm having a great visit with my daughter and Frankie and Cooper are here, too.  And this will be a shortie because everyone is up and about now and things are popping!

I hope you all have a good day..better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

patricia19

Amy

Patricia,
'bout time you rise and shine!! :2funny:
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Amy, considering that I'm four hours behind you folks, By the time you're stirring about, I'm just getting comfortable in my deep sleep! :zen:  :sleep:

so hold down the noise, will ya?

Amy

Jimmy Dean

patricia19