Random Image

Fe at two months

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for July 15, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, July 15, 2021, 01:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Good morning from an Interior with 61° and steady rain. Unfortunately, US Forestry or at least the Alaskan equivalent doesn't update until the afternoon. Last night starting about five-thirty, we had several brief thundershowers that finally settled into a steady rain.

Jane, I had never heard of or seen red cabbage and was able to find some interesting recipes by looking up Blaukraut. I guess it doesn't do well here, but since we often have cabbages up to 138 lbs, that seems strange.

I think the majority of the Olympic athletes are young, in their teens and twenties, and this must seem to be the culmination of dreams and hard work for them. I'm surprised they're not buzzing all over the place!

I used to love garage sales, and when I moved in, I had so many boxes and blue tubs stacked everywhere! Thirty-eight of books alone! And my place certainly showed it. Now I'm not bringing in anything unless two objects are leaving.

As a child, Gloria, we were allowed one food we didn't have to eat; mine was liver. Of course, all bets were off if we were visiting. Then we had to eat at least a small serving with no fuss. Once you named your food, there were no substitutions allowed.

In the Southeast portion of the state, they have dry riverbeds, but the biggest danger is mudslides in the summer and avalanches in the winter. Last summer, a mudslide buried half of a small town with a couple of people never found. They have volcanoes, two major earthquake faults, and thin strips of land on a bed of gravel between mountains and sea. It's a beautiful country, but I spent six years in Anchorage, and I'm positive not one of them passed without some type of earthquake or high wind.

Yesterday I watched some dry creekbeds with flash flooding on Youtube passing by, and it was frightening how fast they filled. I can see why people are told never to camp in a dry riverbed or creek.

Your blueberry pie sounds delicious! Our blueberries are smaller but sweeter than what I see in stores.

I don't think anyone in the healthcare field or those overpopulated by women goes into it for the money. Service industries don't bring in the cash that other industries do.

Amy, our hot temperatures are gone for now. Today's expected high was yesterday's low.

Amy

Patricia, are they wild or tame blueberries? I bought blueberries this morning that came from BC!! These ones are so sweet that I told Kyle I am going back for more and will freeze them,even the dogs like tham....with cream of course! When we were out west we tasted a berry called Saskatoons and they were really good!!

Back to my work. :(
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, these are the wild blueberries. Our raspberries strawberries are also
 smaller but better tasting than the commercial products sold in stores.

Anytime they plump them up for size, they lose flavor.

Amy

Well, the day sure has been interesting. I didn't accomplish what I had intended to do but another day will happen. My washer decided not to spin and drain..Mine you it is only 24 yrs old but it is a Maytag...remember  the lonely Maytag man??  Off we went to the appliance shop, only to find  no top loading washer!  they do have some (2) coming in in about 3 weeks .maybe. Gotta love this pandemic.

Patricia, all wild berries are packed in flavour, tiny but so full of sweetness and flavour. Well almost...wild grapes are a sour a all get out until they have a frost kiss them and then they are sweet. 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Today was a gorgeous day!  First thing out when Mickie and I were walking we noticed that my friends down the street who spend their winters in Florida are closing their cabin in the mountains and they were having a yard sale to get rid of the things they used to make it homey.  I ended up buying a folding chair for the porch for $1.25 and a jar to keep dog treats for 50cents.  Can't say I didn't help them out!

When we were little, we were not allowed to say we didn't like something that was on the table for supper.  We had to take what my mother called a "no thank you" helping of it.  This was 3 bites and the size of the bites was subject to her approval.  I continued this with my kids when they were growing up and I remember explaining to them one night what constituted a "no thank you" helping.  As I finished, I looked around for support from my husband just in time to see him put 3 sliced cooked carrots on his plate.  He never did like them but he always ate his three.

I'm off to the haystack in a few minutes!  I've been watching the Olympics and my eyes are very tired.  They haven't entered slam shut yet but its not far off.

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. 74degrees here this Morning and going up again today. clear skies here now. have a great day see you all Later

Lloyd Hammond

Good evening and good Night, the above post was set but did not go as I thought, so better late than never, Hope to see you all in the morning with no hitches. good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S...
...i remember when you made that word up ( Everyfriend ) i thought of you...
" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning..

A gentle rain last evening left a muggy morning here..

A day of rest, other than going back to the store for more blueberries that is it! This year seems to be a good year for berries.

Yesterday , when sitting out on the porch I noticed the leaves on trees across the road turning colour, same with the neighbours tree. At the top of his beautiful shaped Maple the leaves are tuning. The Mountain Ash berries are also turning colour.. does this mean early winter???

Gloria, I am going to bake a blueberry pie using your recipe. Will have to wait a bit as we are still working on the blueberry pie  just made.

Lloyd, good to see you.

Jane and Phyllis I am going to try a new chicken recipe in the AF will let you know if it is a keeper or not.

Now if Shirley would pop in and say hello.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. It is overcast here, is predicted possible shower and hot and muggy today. stay in and stay cool.

Lloyd

JaneS

Just a quick "Good Morning Everyfriend!" I have to go get a shower and get ready for church.  I'm so glad we started having regular services again!  Might try to make a quick stop at the farmer's market, too.  This one is only there on Sundays and I like to check them out. 

Then my SiL is giving the sermon this morning at their church in Houston and I always try to tune in to that.  He's very good!

I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Looks like we had rain over night, every thing was wethen I pulled up the shades this morning. I rembered I have a bottle of Melatonin last night so took one before I went to bed. At last I slept great  almost 9 hours without waking. I feel alive this morning, at least as alive as my back lets me. Not supposed to get higher than the mid 70's today. I noticed on the wea ther on  this PC for Regina's are the humidity is around 50 and I imagine they are feeling it. Unusual to get above the single digits there.

JANE  AMY  what is that med that calms your fur babies in a thunder storm? My daughter was telling me yest erday they had one of those loud and bright storms hit the other night and their dog was scared stiff. Their fur baby was a rescued one and is part chuhuahua and who knows what else.

AMY  both sons showed up here yest erday morning. Not often that happens and I love it when they are together. BILL has one of those flexable braces on his left wrist and trying hard not to use that hand. I feel bad for him because I know he does most of the work at home.

JANE  since my cooking days are over I will pass on anymore new recipes. I had one sis ter  tha t fried green cabbage and assed  the wide flat noodles to it, loved it and made it often, my 3 liked it, too. Now cannot find those wide flat  noodles anymore, now they are not as wide and are curly.

PATRICIA  liver was something I always hat ed and so did my 3. Of coursee their fa ther liked it with bacon and onions. OK I would coond the kids and I would eat  the bacon and he ate the liver. Now I don' t even have  to have  the smell of it nauseate me.

AMY  those wild grapes make the best  tasting jam. Mike has a lo tof  them along the brook near his property line but no one picks them, the trees they climb up are all loaded with poison ive and no one wants to get near that. I know when I have been to his home at harvest time I could smell them and they made my mouth water.

JANE  I have not seen any of the Olympics yet. Not really into the summer games I like  the win ter ones much more. Wonder if i t is cause I will take the cold winter months over  the hot humid summer time?

LLOYD  according to local forecast here not to get much above 75 or 76  today.

Time for me to get a move on here. Tomorrow morning I will not be here. Mike will take me to get my new glasses and be back before noon when Yvet te gets here.
Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

patricia19

patricia19

Good morning  from the Interior. We're going to have partly cloudy for the rest of the week other than rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. I believe we've seen the last of hot 80s weather as this last week is predicted to be in the mid-seventies. August is normally rainy and a further cooldown, and September and October are usually cool but beautiful.

I've nothing planned for today other than a last sweep for donations for the downstairs table and to figure out someone to do some minor assembling for me. I have a new floor mirror, shampooer, and tabletop spice rack that my hands are too clumsy to put together. I usually barter, but these are jobs most of us are no longer able to do. I will have to realize I can no longer do these projects and save my money on anything not fully assembled.

Gloria, is there no way your son could use a long-handled clipping tool to cut some of those wild grapevines so he could replant in a safer area? The med for calming frightened animals and or people is Rescue Remedy. I always ate the fried onions and salad whenever we had liver and onions.

Other than ice skating, I never was interested in the Olympics. If my friends or I were not participating, it just wasn't for me. I was an eighth-grade cheerleader for basketball simply because my boyfriend at the time was on the team. How crazy was that?

We used to play softball or soccer a lot, but I never watched others play. This town is sports mad with large groups of fields by every street park and schoolyard for baseball, softball, football, and soccer. In the winter, it is basketball, hockey, dog sledding, curling, and snowmobile racing.

We have an Ironman Triathlon, and there are golf tournaments, riverboat racing, Three-man teams traveling through the wild countryside in the summer, and 1000 mile dog racing in the winter.

Amy, I rarely make fruit pies anymore. I tend to freeze complementary fruits together and eat them with three kinds of frozen grapes or types of melon. I'm addicted to fruit this way. Sometimes I will freeze slices of peaches, pineapple, or different berries and mix them with sparkling water.

Amy

Patricia, I will make pies but we don't eat the pie fast enough so I share with the neighbours:)

This year the fruit has been so sweet and tasty! I have yet to get any raspberries yet. Hope to get some to do jam/jelly down.

Gloria, one year I was helping the neighbour do hay, rain was on the way and he put me on the bailer, while they drew the hay in. The day was so hot and the heat coming off the tractor didn't help,  they yelled for a break but since everything was going great with the bailer. (they can be temperamental.) I opted to stay in the field but asked for a drink when they came back. Little did I know what they would bring back......a small glass of wild grape juice and I was thinking oh boy I could down 5 of them. Drank the juice and it quenched my thirst...one little glass of that juice worked wonders!

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Amy, I gather as much cleaned produce as I have and either slice or cut larger pieces into chunks to freeze on baking sheets. For berries or grapes, I freeze a mixture on baking sheets. Then I take one-gallon zip lock freezer bags and mix a good collection, usually orange and yellow, or green, red, and blue, per freezer bag.

Amy

Patricia, that sounds like a useful mix. Do you put them in smoothies also or just eat as they are?

I checked the green beans and they needed to be picked....then checked the yellow ones in the back and they also needed to be pick! Will deal with them another day..
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

I don't drink that many smoothies, probably less than ten my entire life. I like to munch on the fruit half thawed. I have also made a sweet pineapple red pepper jelly perfect for red meat or purchased a Habanero pineapple mango cooking and seasoning blend that's perfect for tacos, ribs, or stews.

patricia19

See Alaska's vast boreal forest on a train trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJoUNP2-v4

JaneS

Just checkin' in...or should I say checkin' out!  I'm on my way to the haystack.

PATRICIA, I'll watch the train trip tomorrow when I'm not sleepy.  It's one of the items on my "Todo list" if I ever made it to Alaska!  I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I'm also sure I'll envy all the people who are on the train!

I bought carrots at the Farmer's market today.  I don't know if I'm making soup with them or just canning them for later use.  I'll decide tomorrow.  (My Scarlett Syndrome!)

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

Well I have let time get away again, so I am just going to bid you all good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

RAMMEL

This is an alert from CodeRED Weather Warning. Moments ago, the National Weather Service issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for your location from 10:58 PM July 25 until 12:00 AM July 26.

Head for bed  :thumbup:
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Denver

Sunday night and I am just getting in to say HELLO.  We had two doggies and one grandson all weekend and I have been kept busy😍

This is the week that our immediate family will all be getting together.  Sadly our Boston Grands will not join us as they are at camp. I hoped to get some new group pictures but that isn't going to happen 😩

My Dad and Diane are dealing with a real mess in Arizona.  They had a storm a week ago that ripped off shingles and before they could get anyone to get out to fix it there has been more big storms and rainwater is pour in all over the house.  I hope we get better news tomorrow 🙏

I must say goodnight.  Pleasant dreams to ALL.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Good morning..

Starting out nice here at 61° but will soon change to frying weather. Need to label and put away the blueberries I canned yesterday. We are taking Jesse to the vet for his needles, this should be fun, and I will warn the girls that he can't hold his licker! He loves everyone and shows it.

Difficult to believe that this is the last week in July,once Aug is gone Fall is here!!

Better put my dancing shoes on and move it..

Enjoy your day and stay safe!
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone, glad I woke early enough to shower and have breakfas t before my son picks me up tp go for my new glasses. One more  trip out this week and I can stay home.Every time I go anywhere it takes a few days to recouperate. Do you wonder why I hate going anyplace these days? now y ou know why, even going to my son or grandson's homes for a holiday meal.

AMY  I will do a good job of eating a whole pie. These days Yvette helps me make it and eat it, too. Sometimes she will take a piece home for her husband.  There were 2 people here that  I shared with, one now living with her daughter and the other passed away. Cannot beat the taste of anything made from wild grapes.

PATRICIA  I always freeze things like blueberries on a cookie sheet before put ting then into containers/bags. T hey do not stick together then.

AMY  you grow the yellow stringbeans? Have not seen them around here for years. I always liked them better than the green ones. No fresh frozen or canned yellow ones for years now.

JANE  I like eating raw carrots more than cooked ones. Before I started having teeth extracted I wou ld make a snack or raw carrots, peppers and celery. Maybe when I get the false teeth I can go back to snacking like that again the the afternoons. Be tter than snacking on candy or cookies.

Have to get mmoving so I can be ready when Mike gets here. I really would like a nap now but I do want my new glasses so it will be better reading again.
  Have a great day and hope it is a day of no thunderstorms for a change. Stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  This will be a quickie this morning because I have two doggies waiting for their walk before the heat sets in! 

I've been on line looking to buy an electric pressure canner.  They make them and everyone leads me to the page and shows me the picture with a banner under it that says "Unavailable at this time".  Must be lots of people buying them right now!  I have 4 local phone numbers to call as soon as they open and hopefully, one of them will have one....that's all I need...ONE!

I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. it is a beautiful clear day here today. Is 77deg. Now saying going to the 90's and over the hundreds heat index the mid afternoon and also rest of the week. so stay in and hope AC keeps working. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Shirley

Don't know when I posted in here last..... by the time I read & if anyone posts a link to watch, I forget to say all the things that go thru my head while reading.  And I used to could "multi-task" & never miss a beat! I did bookmark the link to the train ride across Alaska (be still my heart). Will watch it later.

Not sure where the time goes but the house certainly isn't any cleaner than a week ago. I have been running in circles to stores to find the "basics" and guess Covid has swallowed them up. It seems China is not sending stuff as fast as before because they know WE can't build or make anything any more. Sad world.

We had a T-storm come thru yesterday, not much rain but scared poor Tom-Kat. Cats are keeping me busy, yard keeping me busy & I think LAZY is my new middle name. Last evening I looked on Google for a couple friends from the art show days.... lost contact when they moved & nobody left to ask if they'd heard from them. Found both obits. At this age/stage only family remains to mourn, but I will feel sad thinking of never seeing them again.

It is humid here, I'm watering the front lawn, haven't heard if the mowers will come today or tomorrow. Last week was spend "waiting" it seemed, all week. I'm not real patient & am dead bent to not have other people wait on me, I think it's rude. I make a point of being early & would rather wait than be late. So last week was a test of nerves. The heat & humidity doesn't help at all.

I'm not dressed yet so better get a move on. I never put on a robe to putter around in when Cas was alive but find they are comfy, especially if I want to catch a few more zzzzzzs. It is a rare night when I get 6 hours straight, the cats are to blame (honest). Now & then I will close them in the other end of the house away from my bedroom & know it is better for all of us, but they act so pitiful going a whole night without hugs.  ::)

JaneS

Well, I came in to say "Good Night" but there's nobody to say it to so I'll just say "Good Morning Shirley, I hope you had a good day!"

I'm heading for the haystack!  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS sorry I was slow getting here, Please forgive me, but I wish you all a good night and sweet dreams, and a great day tomorrow. we got the car jump started today and went to cousin's shop and got things tested out. was a bad battery so bought a new one, we bought a new one, the bet one same cranking hours as the old one. hope it dose as good as the old one did, it was the original one that came in the van when we bought it in o14. the van is just short of 100,000 Miles. if it dose probably will out last us and the van at least our driving days.

Lloyd.