Random Image

Winter07.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for August 15, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, August 15, 2021, 12:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Jane, we have to water..not enough rain here. They are calling for a storm but so far nothing has happened (I am fine with that!)  Ran some pie and tarts over to the neighbour and a beggin strip for the pooch. Put some in the hidey hole to try..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

I can't help but wonder Amy. Did you put some of the pies and tarts or the begging strip for us in the hidey-hole?

Amy

Patricia, sorry..once Rex gets a sniff of the beggin strip there are  no extras. You will just have to be content with the  butter tarts or apple pie. :2funny:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Darn, and I was really looking forward to that begging strip!  🐕 

JaneS

I'm going to have to try a butter tart.  I don't think I've ever had one of those.  Or maybe we call it something else down here in the lower "50"!  Patricia can have the Beggin Strips.  Although they do smell pretty good and the doggies love them!

We got more than enough rain and I got more than enough inside my bedroom window.  I have towels in the spaces and they were both wet.  Now I have them hanging to dry and different ones in the windows.

Now I'm off to the haystack!  I hope it's loaded with zzzzs because I'm kinda tired tonight.  Frankie is off tomorrow from her job but I'm still going to get Cooper because she took a house cleaning job to get a little extra income.  She sure isn't afraid to work!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS you Beat me to heading to bed that Is Ok with me you can if you Like get up first also. I Have Had my bad headache, ALL day so I hope I sleep it off tonight' I have a appoint with the dentist to get a Jaw tooth repaired. I gage easy so I am not looking forward to that. Good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

Shirley

Stopped by to say "Good night", been a long day & I'm too tired to talk. Been thinking about all of you "back East", including the flooding in TN. Hear a lot of power outs so wishing everyone a not too hot without AC. We have a nasty week of HOT ahead.

Jane, why is the window leaking? I've "re-puttied" (and I do not think that's the right term) our windows before. Me & the ACE Hardware guys have an understanding.... they always know what to sell me if I can 'splain things to them, then tell me how to do it. But, you & I are about the same age so know what an effort it is to fix anything now. I was proud of me getting the tub caulked this week... but one spot didn't get enough & I didn't follow the bead on down the side, just was not thinking & getting tired. Will work on that this week.  ;)  Good luck "with the rain coming in" (song in there).

Night, Lloyd. I've had a nagging headache this week from all the fall allergies. Hard to breathe today between humidity & pollen. Don't envy you the trip to the dentist.

Amy

Good morning..

Beautiful silvery moon out there this morning. No storm nor rain last night. Busy day ahead so need to get ready for it.

My friend would like more jars so when we get a chance to go into town I will pick some up for her.

Jane, butter tarts are so good! Some folks like them runny others don't. I would say something similar to pecan tarts. Will send you the recipe.

Lloyd, good luck at the dentist..not my favourite place to be but a necessity.

Shirley, Dad taught me how to putty windows....do you think that was the start of silly putty?

Gloria, hope you are safe from Henri..

Patricia, you tickling cloud tummies today?

Better get my duds on don't wish to be caught in pj's.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  AMY, I did look up butter tarts and they are a Canadian goodie that sounds really good1  I'll watch for the recipe!

SHIRLEY, I'm sure that what the window needs is "putty" or whatever it is that keeps the rain out but it's on the higher side of my house and the top of the window so I'd need to have a ladder (I don't have one that tall) and I'd have to climb (I don't climb ladders any more) so I have to depend on someone to do it for me.  So I wait for the call backs!

LLOYD, good luck with your dentist today.  I don't think anyone likes going to the dentist!

We had rain all night but it must not have hit that side of the house.  My towels are dry!  I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

Amy

Jane, recipe sent. He is the same person that makes the Moose Farts..
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

"Dad taught me how to putty windows....do you think that was the start of silly putty?" That is really a good one, Amy!!!

I hope you have better luck with getting these odd ball jobs done that I do, Jane!  Some things we can't (or I am NOT willing) to take on, right now I'm waiting for a call back from the pool guy. I know he rips me off but right now neither son able to help.  :'(  Finally got thru to the mower man, they are splitting yards so the one I've been calling for a couple years isn't doing mine. When the other one called last week we both assumed I could get his number off caller ID...BUT I had so many robo calls right after, I couldn't find it. I did write it down but have a bad habit of making notes on anything laying on the table in whatever room I'm in. That's a problem when I don't write down the name & throw all those scraps of paper away!!! 

I am beyond frustration this morning, fed 3 cats early (got up at 5:00am) knew better than to fill MY tummy or I'd want to go back to bed (less than 4 hours sleep). Already had one robo before 8:00am from that same "cardio-service" that calls 3 times a day. Too bad you can't blow up thru the lines.... I've blocked all of them but will have to dump my blocked numbers soon before I'm over the limit. Anyway, I am weary & waiting for a return call. Mower will be here before noon so will unlock gates & do what's needed (move down spout extenders, etc) In the meantime.......

BY THE WAY.... FYI.... I looked around for robins & don't see any of the locals. We get waves of them passing thru going south, you'd be surprised how many slight variations of color they have. Maybe an early fall.... please?  Watched a couple flocks of Canada geese trying to teach their kids how to form a V for the trip south, some stay all winter but not all. I still saw some of the white egrets on the river this week but none this morning. We are to be in or near the 100s this week & already this morning it's hard to breathe. 

EDIT: I almost left the computer without posting, heading back outside before it gets any hotter. Pretty sure that's where a lot of MY posts go when missing.  :uglystupid2:  :crazy2:

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. I had a very time catching anyzzzz's  and Shirley I am a hour behind you this Morning. It isalready 83º this Morning here in MO. Have a appointment with the denist to crown a broken tooth. Hope yo all have agood day.

Lloyd

Amy

Lloyd, hope your van has a/c!! It is 76° here at the moment. Looking like a good storm could visit..I hope not though..
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone, once again we excaped Mo ther Nature's wrath. We have had mor rain and s tronger winds in a regular rain s torm before. Needless  to say I could not sleep wait ing for the wind and driving rain that never came. Did not even hear the rain hitt ing the window AC like I hear most  times it rains. Have not heard any news so don't know about any area where it hit.
Fell asleep after 5 this morning and just now having my coffee. Yvette will be here at noon and I am still in jammies and robe.

OK AMY & JANE you are making my mouth wat er with your Butter Tarts. I would no t be able to make them but my DIL likes to bake and my son oft en brings me treats she makes.

Yvette is here so have to ge t going.
Have a good day and keep safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

patricia19

Good morning, Cloudy with rain expected back this morning. Amy, I could probably punch right through those clouds!

The construction folks are back for finishing touches, and then that's it until window replacements in October. I wouldn't say I like these new balconies. The only view is the top tips of the foothills and sky unless you get up nose to door pane, and even then, you can't see the street below but across it.

The front of the new balcony is at least a foot or higher than the old one, so to see the street below, you must walk out on it. Not much going on today after a restless night except being grumpy, so I'd best get to it.

I hope everyone's day is or will be going better than mine!

JaneS

Cooper and I took 3 walks today and the only one that I forgot to take a baggy along was the one where he produced!  Thank goodness, I had a load of tissues in my pocket and I managed to clean up after him.

I'm sure all of you were very interested in that first paragraph.  I sure do lead an interesting life!

I took the curtains in my bedroom down, washed them, ironed them, and got half of them back up.  The valances are on strange rods and it always takes me a couple of tries before I get them back up right.  This time I broke one of the holders so I'll have to see if I can get another one before the valances go back up.  It's always something, isn't it?

I'm going to say goodnight because I won't be back in before I hit the haystack.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

P.S. I didn't have to water the plants tonight.  We got more rain!

Gloria

Good morning everyone, still raining lightly even this morning. This storm hit south county pretty bad, lot of trees down-some landed on roofs and one right into the roof. Flooding in the usual places but all in my family here OK. Only a few inches of rain but the ground is so saturated with so much rain this summer that they showed a few trees on the news  that were uprooted and pulled up a big chunck of earth with them leaving a hole in the ground.

PATRICIA  maybe the new balconies are safer with the higher rail and you do have a balcony. None here-would spoil the beauty of this building.

JANE  that's what you get for washing curtains at this time of year. Not spring or fall cleaning time. ;)

Goodness where was every one yesterday? Only 2 posts and one was a ride to a photo. May be I am up too early?

Have a good day and hope those will too much rain get  some sunshine today. I sure would love to see blue sky and sunshine.
Stay safe and dry or cool where ever you live.

Amy

Good morning..

We are off to the city this morning to pick up our glasses. Trip will take longer than the appointment!
Hope this heat wave soon breaks and cooler weather comes in.I feel sorry for anyone having to work out in it.

Have a long list of "to do's" when we get back home, hope my energy doesn't fly out the window!

Gloria, I saw the damage the storm did on the news. Fire and water do a lot of damage with little control.

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  We had a bit more rain overnight but we're not supposed to get any more today.  My grass is growing like crazy!  I think it drank every drop of the falling rain and reproduced itself over and over!

I'm off to a dr. appt. this morning.  I'm afraid my BP is going to be up but there's a reason for that!

I better get a few things done before it's time to go.  I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

patricia19

Good morning, another rainy day, and another grump.

Shirley

One of those "off" days. Callie didn't show up for breakfast & nearly 1:00pm and still not here. I don't know what to think since she stuck like glue & ate every few hours since she came home. She & I visited with a neighbor last night, out on the driveway. She didn't stand right beside me as this is the neighbor with the German Shepherd she gave the bloody nose one time. After they left she joined me & talked as long as I stayed out. I invited her inside & gave her another dish of food. She wanted back in the garage & back outside, acted like she wanted me to come out but it was MY bedtime! I've been out & walked around the driveway, inspecting flowers & waiting to see if she was laying around somewhere. Tom stayed out last night, not sure if he goes out front "after midnight", but he never does in the daytime. Tiger stayed inside with me (so not a lot of sleep for me). The cats are family but sure not predictable, wonder if she will be back.

We have heat warning all week, wind blowing like crazy, super hot & humidity high. YUCK!

patricia19

Farrah surprised me yet again this afternoon. In the past, 2016-2018, she used to run and hide under the bed when she heard the loud reverberating fire alarm go off or a loud siren.

2019 to now, she watches me, and if I don't get upset, neither does she. And yes, the vet said her hearing is fine. She believes I'll let her know in plenty of time to run away and hide.

Last week the loud construction noises and the heavy machinery and lifts going in and out of our fourth-floor view sent her back under the bed for the day. Today, two guys on a lift, rose past her on her cat tree, and up, before attaching a net from the roof draped over the apartments; and she only moved from the cat tree to my side. She'll be nine early next month, and I guess with age comes wisdom.

And no, I don't know what the giant net draped over the building is for.

patricia19

I'm reading some items that were considered correct in the late fifties, early sixties. Here is only one that's crazier than taking up smoking would ease a pregnancy, "Babies should adjust to the normal eating habits of the family as soon as possible

By the time a baby was nine weeks old, they should be eating the same foods as the rest of the family. Even more shocking was that this was somehow linked to preventing the child from growing up to be a communist."

"Single women should pick up a man at an AA meeting
In the 60s, it wasn't easy to find a good (rich) man, and single women were encouraged to attend AA meetings to meet their future husband. Apparently preying on a man during a time of struggle was the perfect way to get him to marry you."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/mind-blowingly-bizarre-things-people-actually-believed-50-years-ago/ss-AANGUSE?ocid=msedgntp#image=22

JaneS

It's going to be up int the 90s again tomorrow but that's not the worst of it.  The humidity is predicted to be at 81%!  I don't like the high humidity!

Today wasn't too bad and we got another short rainfall...lasted about 15 minutes.  I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.  The guy is supposed to be cutting my grass tomorrow or Thursday.

I just can't seem to get myself organized since Mickie's gone.  When Annie was gone, I still had Mickie and when I lost other doggies through the years, I always had plans to get another one.  I won't be getting another one now.  It wouldn't be fair to the doggie because of my age.  There's a place near here that has doggies looking for homes and they ask for temporary homes for them while they look.  I'm thinking that might be something I could do. When Cooper goes home, I just feel alone!

I'm thinking I better hit the hay and try to get an early start tomorrow.  Maybe I can accomplish something.  I'm sure as heck not getting down to business these days!  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Shirley

Well, Patricia, not sure where that person came from, but those weren't the rules we lived by in the mid-west or England during those years. My daughter was born in Jan of '56. Besides that, I wanted nothing to do with anyone needing AA before I got married. In fact, I wouldn't get in the car with anyone drinking, we had too many kids die in drunk driving wrecks. Guess it depended on where you lived.

Interesting how Farrah has mellowed out. Wish Tom would adjust to riding in the motorhome & I didn't have to clean up messes before leaving the driveway!!!  Hey, BIG NEWS HERE... Callie showed up to eat about half an hour ago.  I've checked all day, called & whistled, but she never came to eat so I figured the week long starvation got to her & she probably just died in her sleep somewhere. Not going to try to outguess her from now on, they are free to come & go so I will do what I can for them when they are here. I was concerned when I saw the 2 pairs of falcons floating around over our yards earlier tonight. I can't grab a camera fast enough to get a photo to identify them. Callie lays under the motorhome or in the tigerlilies or behind the big dumpster, so she must be afraid of them now. She sure ate plenty tonight & headed right back out front. Something put a fear in her about being in the back or pool area. The fox & coyote can't get inside the pool area so had to have been the hawk or falcons.

Gloria, glad your family is high & dry with all this rain. Haven't talked to my brother-in-law that lives in eastern TN but know his house is about mid-way UP or down a hill so should be safe. Have a good friend that lives in Anderson, SC that has a beautiful house that backs up to a big lake so hope she is safe. She lives alone & doesn't drive anymore & her only son lives "clear across the US" from her, but she seems to have good friends that help her out. Awful news all over.

Jane, hope your Dr. appointment went okay. My BP is normally high but does go up with those appointments. Lots of time, especially if I am rushing, I'll take a 325 Bayer to take the edge off & numbers will be more tolerable.

Amy, hope the glasses are a good fit. I got progressive for the first time, shocking price... & the optometrist added anti-fog saying, "it's free now but will charge later".... only it fogged worse than any other & couldn't clean with just anything so when I was ordering the sunglasses I told him that anti-fog had to go. They had to remake the glasses so I asked if they would make them to fit some frames I had and they could have the ones I paid them about $250 for & wore less than a month. Mine had spring nose & ear pieces & the new ones after surgery  did not. That first pair of glasses cost me just under $800(my cost) and not sure what Medicare paid "for the first pair after cataract surgery".... on top of that check I wrote!  The 2nd pair (tinted) was over $500 using my other frames with the spring noses & ear pieces. I keep getting the statements from Blue Cross/Blue Shield of how much they paid after Medicare paid.... and was tempted to call them to ask if maybe I got double billed in all this. I thought I was paying full price up front for glasses. 

You snuck in, Jane. I've also considered fostering dogs but know me well enough that I would not want to part with after caring for. I'd be more tempted to just adopt one that I fell in love with from the Animal Shelter. At this stage I still plan to get a pup and know it would have a good home with one of my sons if something happened to me. I can't have one as long as the cats are alive. I do think most of the places that foster have the option of keeping the dog (or cat) if it is a good fit. Some of us just don't feel whole without a dog (or cat) to talk to.

Sweet dreams to all, I'm going to eat a bite & head to bed. Got a whole list of to-dos for tomorrow.  God Bless and peaceful dreams to all. Love ya. Shirley

patricia19

Shirley, that was for the forty-eight states, not including Alaska or Hawaii. Here is the link,  https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/mind-blowingly-bizarre-things-people-actually-believed-50-years-ago/ss-AANGUSE?ocid=msedgntp#image=22

Jane, I started out fostering for Pet Pride, but nineteen years ago, I went to permanent fostering. I take in cats that don't get along with other cats, dogs, or children and care for them for the remainder of their life. I pay for food and basic health care, and Pet Pride pays for the vet, dental, and emergencies.

That might be something for you to look into. The majority of animal rescues do both types of fostering, and you wouldn't have to worry about a later home for them.

Amy

Good morning.

Yesterday went well, a quick trip with just one stop on the way home at the cheese factory. Picked up a new to me cheese, garlic and pepper. Will be buying that one again as it is delicious!!
Today is heading into town for dog food, milk and to the hardware store. Then home to catch up on work left undone.

Shirley, glasses are an awful price! Next time we will go to Costco where you can get two pairs for less than I paid for one pair! Glad to read the roamer is back home if even only for a short time, at least you know she is ok.

Jane, fostering would not only help you but the dog. He/she won't have to spend time in a cage until he is adopted.

Patricia, pets soon adapt to our ways and it has taken Farrah a long time to feel safe with you.This is a new experience with you having the workers about, not only strange people but sounds too. She has adapted well to all of this.

Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone. No rain in the forecast today BUT a "maybe" violent thunderstorm. We are also in the middle of a heat wave with very high humidity. Mother Nature is sure angry with us this year,  don't think I did anything to anger her. Thank God I have this window AC to keep me comfortable in here.

AMY  this town made out without any real damage from Henri but now we have  these 90+ temperatures and this is something I cannot take. I tend  to hybernate and stay close to the AC. When Yvette gets here she has to walk on the pavement from the far end of the parking lot to the entry with the sun beating down on her. She is overweight and when she comes in my place she is sweating. Oops excuse me, ladies perspire, we do not sweat.

JANE  hope you did noy have high BP yesterday with the doctor visit. I have a SIL that has the white coat syndrome woth her bp shooting up.

SHIRLEY  we don't have even a breeze when it gets this hot and humid here. At least a breeze to dry the skin a little when outside. Today is the day the landscapers are here every week.

PATRICIA  some of those old "laws" states still have in the books are really crazy. Just think od feeding a 9 week old baby some of the spicy food adults eat? Would give them tummy troubles for life.

SHIRLEY  I wish I could have bough t the frames I really liked when I go these new glasses, frame alone was $500.- A case of champagne taste and beer wallet?

Gonna go get  my shower now and hopefully I will cool off soon. I ha te this icky feeling of my skin when it is  this humid. Have to put  the AC on already. I always shut it  off for a rest in the mornings when I get up.

Have a good day and keep cool if you can.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's not raining here this morning!  And that's news!  It's a little hazy out there but that's pretty normal for this time of year. 

I have no plans for today.  Frankie is coming over later and I'm not sure what's happening with her.  She doesn't work today.  I'm thinking of a trip to the Farmer's market this morning.  And I found a bag of summer squash on my porch yesterday.  My neighbors have been very generous!

I guess I better get busy or it will be another day like yesterday....nothing to show for it!  I hope you all have a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!