Random Image

Puddings

Owner: Natureboy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for October 1, 2021

Started by so_P_bubble, October 01, 2021, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning Gloria well yes you are the only one I see here this Morning so far. we had hard thunder boomers through the Night, and it is cloudy and 69º Now the weather guesser says clear, I see the sun off in the east starting to peak out under the clouds. Like the girl used to sing what ever will be will be. Have a good day. Nancy got up and left me in bed and went by her self to her doctors appointment. Last night I was cracking and shelling hickory nuts that our oldest daughter brought to us. they are so tine I think they are not or the trouble. A neighbor Has a big walnut tree, and she said I could ick all of the I wanted. they do not use them. the sun hid and Is raining again as I am typing the post . Have a good day I will see you Later.

Lloyd

Shirley

I woke up, fed cats & myself and seriously thinking more sleep is needed. After over an inch of rain yesterday & last night I need to open the motorhome, put the slide & awning out to dry. It does catch water in those canvas parts that open & don't want to mildew. My NEXT vehicle with the bed in (like those '40s & '50s conversion vans) will fit into a garage or not for me. I watched the Rialta age as well as this one, from the sun & all weather. Pains me... Too bad none of the big car makers realize a lot of us out here would love one of those vans again, but I checked all over the US & they just don't sell them. Dealers can still buy the E-150 but don't. Anyway, tired of thinking about it so why not some extra zzzzzzzzzzzzzs?

I thought about getting my tags for the vehicles but thought again... it's Columbus Day only called something else now, so expect all state & fed offices will be closed as well as no mail. I do not see why Columbus Day is offensive to anyone, without his "sailing the oceans" we wouldn't have an America, isn't that right? Anyone here wish that never happened? REALLY??? Picture the world without an America... would we all be dying in our 40s, go to the moon, feed the world?

Amy

Good morning..
A dull over cast day here...thought of putting a fire on but got to work and no fire needed now. :thumbup:

Thank you for the Happy Thanksgiving wishes. We are staying put, with Kyles compromised immune system we don't need to be in crowds.

Shirley at one time like the rest of you I would put a 30 lb turkey in the oven...not now. We have a Butterball turkey breast,and all the fixings. Dressing/stuffing will be made in the IP as it turns out so good!! A double batch will be made this time. Have pumpkin pie and whipping cream for dessert. Granddaughter is 25 and loves to camep and yes there are bears, wolves (4 legged) moose and deer. Not sure on if there are elk in that area.

Gloria, my friend and I shared a bushel of Macs and they smell like macs too!! Will make some applesauce and may can some..

Jane, that was a nice surprise to see Christy. Enjoy your visit.

Enjoy your day and stay safe!

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

Merry Monday, 

Shirley,  we'll have to find someone farther west to turn off the faucet.  The severe storm system that blew/rained/hailed through here last evening came from the Texas panhandle and moved up toward Lloyd and folks northeast of him.
Lots of damage south of OKC but, since I live "north of noon", just heavy rain here.  I was watching t.v. with my "t.v. ears" in so didn't really notice it until I turned on outside lights and looked.

Happy Thanksgiving, Amy. 
I grew up with bread stuffing for the turkey but learned to make it with cornbread as a side dish when I married a Mississippi native. Family prefers the southern kind and so it's a "must" when I go to dil's family gathering for Thanksgiving.

Gloria, good to see you back.

Jane, how delightful to have the unexpected company.  Know you've enjoyed all your recent visitors.

Jackie, I'm sure I had scones with clotted cream and jam when I was in England but the only ones I've had here were more like our cupcakes.  (Is clotted cream anything like our thick sour cream that comes in a carton?)
Southern biscuits are often served for breakfast or supper topped with a thick creamy sausage gravy - along with scrambled or fried eggs and hash-browned potatoes. 
They can also be served with sorghum molasses (NOT molasses syrup like what comes from the grocery store).  My mother was horrified when my Dad taught his grandsons to poke a hole in the side of a biscuit and put in molasses mixed with butter instead of slicing the biscuit and spreading the molasses and butter over it like jam.

Off to find something useful to do.
Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.

Lloyd Hammond

Good afternoon, well for now it is just cloddy and no rain at the minuet. I have a Bad headache And just slept very restless Last night and have ben dosing most of the morning and till now, just ate for a noon meal just a few Min. ago some home Made vegie soup. Nancy is good at it. I am going back and watch TV some more. Have a good evening everyone.

Lloyd

JaneS

Everyone is gone now...even Cooper went home!  We had two walks this morning and it was nice.  My daughter Christy left at 7 a.m. and Frankie went to work at a few minutes after 7

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, AMY and KYLE! 

SHIRLEY, I'm with you about changing the name of Columbus day.  They could have just added a holiday for the Indigenous Personnel.

I'm practically worn out and I'm trying to keep too busy to think about tomorrow. 

I hope you're all having a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Jane, thank you.  We are both stuffed!! Even the dogs had turkey, squash and beans and pumpkin pie!!
What ever tomorrow brings I am sure you will meet it head on and tackle it.
Callie, thank you....we need to back away from the table at times like this.......too many goodies to par take!I can make a meal out of bread stuffing, even make a sandwich from it. Haven't made cornbread dressing, may have to try that.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

Amy,  if you ever want to make "southern" cornbread for any reason, do NOT put sugar in it!

Your meal sounds deeelicious. Any leftovers to put in the hidey hole?  If so - I call "First Dibs"!  ;D

Lloyd Hammond

well Nicole came over and tried to get this computer to work like it should. it will not Load my printer. It was a while back but I clicked on the wrong key and it went away and will not come Back. some one please  post how to Please.

Lloyd

Shirley

Callie, I still try to keep the White Lily corn meal mix on hand to make that southern corn bread. Cas loved it "fried" in a cast iron skilled with plenty of Wesson corn oil... and begged for the crunchy part if any left over. Had to have the grease "dancing" before pouring in the batter & then pop into a hot oven. A must with beans & ham... my mouth is watering... and his Mom always made fresh coleslaw & sometimes potatoes boiled in beef broth and or green beans fried with onions. She was just as apt to pull a skillet of fried chicken out of the oven to go with all that other, a wonderful cook but we always came home "with zits" on our faces from all the grease she used. I never would have thought of green beans & dried beans at the same meal, but was a meal to remember. No sugar in her cornbread, for sure, and only white cornmeal. I love to eat good food.

Sweet dreams, got one more meal to feed the cats & something for me & off to bed. It is nice & cool with the door open right now.

JaneS

Vanilla-Jackie

Callie...from what i gather is clotted cream is made from skimming the cream from the surface of the milk...there is a difference between both, only clotted cream is used for Devonshire - Cornwall cream scones....
" There is no present like the time "

Vanilla-Jackie

Just a note Rammel - Rick might not be posting for a while,  :( please hold him in your thoughts and prayers..

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend.  I'm getting ready for an early Dr. appt. this morning so not much time to post.  Right now the temp is at 61º and not supposed to go any higher than 71 today.  No rain!  No snow either! ;D   I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Amy

Good morning..

Finishing off another quilt along with DD'S...Callies Domestic Duties.

Jane, prayers and hugs  go with you..

Callie ,we don't have boxed cornbread here, which a lot of the recipes call for . I will just make up a cornbread, minus sugar and try it.
Shirley, thanks....you made my mouth water and now I want to try a corn bread in the cast iron frying pan..

Patricia, hope today goes fast and the workers get the job done .

Enjoy your day and satay safe.
Jimmy Dean

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S..
good morning...hope your Doctor appointment gives you positive encouragement and good feedback for what you are about to face..

Gloria

Good morning everyone, another cool cloudy one here again. Seems like the sun wakes up after noon lately. That is the forecast for today again. Was dpwn to the upper 40's when I got up this morning. Today will be my las t day for the CNA I have been getting and Yvette gets here t omorrow. Will be good  to get her back. BUT next  mont h she sill have a knee replacement surgery. She will be out again. Fran-the one I will have today- I had before Yvette s tarted coming here.

LLOYD  like you I have nights I cannot get to sleep so next day I mostly lay on the couch watching TV and dozing on and off all day.

JANE  I wish you the best  of everything today. Hugs and prayers for you.

AMY  my Mom made French dressing-hamburg and mashed taters-, my MIL made chestnut  dressing and I learned  to make that,  too. Chestnuts are too costly these days to buy, lot of work, too. I no longer cook a turkey, leave all those big meals to my family now.

CALLIE  I never tried making cornbread but  I do like eating it.

SHIRLEY  I used  to love ea ting good food and had a good apetite but now I could go all day without eating and still not be hungry. Any wonder I weigh 80 pounds?

JACKIE  will miss Rammel's posts. Prayers all goes well for him.

Time  to get into the shower and then have breakfas t.

Have a good day, stay healthy and happy.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Shirley

God Bless to all in need today, tomorrow & all days.

phyllis

I'm keeping you in my thoughts today, Jane, and thinking only positive ones for you.

Happy late Thanksgiving Day, Amy.  Your celebration meal sounded perfect! 

I was born in Fort Scott, KS, and raised in Ottawa, KS, but my mother cooked mostly Southern.  Cornbread NEVER had sugar in it!  Heaven forbid!  I was surprised when we moved to New York and discovered their cornbread was sweet.  I never got used to it even though we lived there for 27 years.  And, I agree, a cast iron skillet pre-heated in a hot oven is the only way to bake cornbread.  It gives that lovely crisp brown crust and soft inside.  My husband's family never put sugar in cornbread either so we were compatible in our marriage.  ;D 

Adding Rick to my good thoughts and prayers.  And, there is always enough left-over for anyone who needs them.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. It Is 52º Now here in Mo and sunny, @ 8:55. I just got up and feel pretty good. we have a few of turnips growing In our front side yard. One of is just about big enough to eat. I like them raw and or cooked. see you all later.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

I like sugar in My cornbread. I also have a bread Machine and like Making home Made bread and or roles. Have a sea food digit see food and eat It.

Lloyd

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Amy, cornbread mix in a box has sugar in it.

My mother-in-law would grease her cornbread stick pan with Crisco and put it in the oven while it was heating to about 400º. Then she put "some" (she never measured) self-rising cornmeal in a bowl, broke an egg into it and turned on the hot water. She would move the bowl in and out of the hot water while stirring until "it looked right".
Her cornbread was always crisp on the outside and absolutely delicious.

She had promised me the cornbread stick pan but it wasn't there when we cleaned out her kitchen after her death.  I suspect I could have found it in her granddaughter-in-law's cupboard but it wasn't worth the effort to get fussy over.

More stormy weather due in later today and overnight.  One forecast is for this area to get it between midnight and sunrise.  May be a short night!!!!

Prayers for everyfriend with concerning issues and  :smitten: for all.

Amy

This weather is unbelievable ,almost 70 °  here now and sunny!!

Just talked with Jane and she has to have surgery, doesn't have a date yet though. Prayers and healing thoughts are needed.

Callie, I enjoy cornbread...sweet. Haven't had it any other way but willing to make some just for the cornbread dressing. My friend gave me a recipe for cornbread muffins and I try not to make them too often as they are delicious...betcha can't eat just one!!

Lloyd, our turnips didn't amount to much this year but I did buy some and canned them.

Phyllis, thank you....the best part of a dinner is the leftovers which we will have tonight.

Gloria, was there any bread in the dressing? My friend liked water chestnuts so I put it in the dressing one year and he enjoyed it. A little crunch in the dressing.

Jimmy Dean

Denver

Good evening, EVERYFRIEND.

I have been thinking about and holding good positive thoughts for you all day, JANE. I am sad that you have to undergo another surgery, but we want you to not have ANY of this C left in your body😡. Continued thoughts and prayers 🥰

Thank you AMY for the update on Our Jane.😩  We certainly want her to be clear of this awful C, so this surgery is necessary.  Your Thanksgiving meal sounded yummy....glad you two and the pups enjoyed it. 

JACKIE, sorry to read that you have heard from RAMMEL and he won't be posting.  Positive thoughts and prayers for our friend. Thank you for sharing this news.

Loved all the comments about cornbread and how it is fixed, etc.  Cornbread was not a big thing in our family when I was growing up.  We did have it with ham and beans, but it was never fried in grease as it cooked, and it DID have sugar in it! We did not have cornbread dressing either, always dried bread.  My hubby, a southerner did grow up eating cornbread, and cornbread dressing, of course!

CALLIE, I am sorry you did not get the cornbread stick pan.  Bob and I can relate to that having been promised something and it was already gone.  Nothing to be done about it, and your right not worth a fight over. Let this be a warning....if any of us want someone to have something of yours , either give it to them NOW or make sure it s written in a will.

GLORIA, yippee your Yvette is back! Happy, happy for you!

SHIRLEY, I, too, still think about your little motor home.  I know you loved it.  We wish we had been the lucky person to buy it😩😩. My dad is doing about the same. Sure wish I could travel to see him.  Hopefully soon.

PHYLLIS, good  to see your post.  I did not realize you were born/raised in Kansas.  My mother was born in Kansas also, however she was not happy about it.  My grandfather worked for the Rio Grande Railroad and he was sent to a very remote location about the time my grandmother was due to deliver.  Grandma went home to her parents in Western Kansas, and my mom was born😘
I had my 6 week check at the surgeon yesterday and he was pleased.  The X-ray showed everything was in place.  Will see him again in 6 more weeks. 

OK, I still can not tell ALL, yet, but I will say that a son and his family are going to be  moving to Colorado !  YEA!   We are thrilled to death.  As many already know, our youngest just moved out of CO!  WE have had this happen once or twice before!   In addition, while we were with them we were told the wonderful news that a new little one is on the way.  So those of you who guessed these two thoughts are the WINNERS‼️

Peasant dreams to all. Good morning, JACKIE.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Shirley

Jenny, I'm thrilled with your news & thank my "lucky stars" that both my boys live near & my daughter comes to visit every couple months (if not oftener). So happy to hear of another baby. My mother taught us all her life that "the best thing you can do or give your child was a sibling". I believed her and see how much my 3 mean to each other. How I wish you had been the one to get my Rialta, did I tell you how much that crook stole it for?  He knew I was in no rational condition that day we came to pay & pick up the new one without ANY price on the Rialta for trade. If ever someone got "screwed" it was me that day! They are no longer in business so that is some satisfaction (not much).

Jane, I am so sorry you are facing more surgery, hopefully you caught it early and that will be the end of this trial. You know my prayers & thoughts are with you.

Callie, we also found some things missing when my parents died, things I am positive neither would have given to anyone. Dad spent his last few months in a nursing home & a nephew & wife stayed in his home during those months, but before he went in several people stayed with him & had access to the room where the items were kept. I feel certain that anyone that took them has been punished already and not by the family.

About the sweet & fried cornbread, quite a difference & took me a while to appreciate the white & fried kind. We didn't have cornbread often & think the Jiffy mix was only kind Mom fixed. She made wonderful bread & rolls but I don't even remember eating beans often. I know Cas' mother made fresh churned butter & the buttermilk went into the cornbread & biscuits.

Better close this down tonight, we are expecting severe weather after midnight, even a tornado watch & high winds. The power line has some tree limbs that could cause trouble so better get sleep while I can. I really don't want to think about hail since the new roof on house & RV was put on less than 3 years ago, BUT this is Kansas!

Hugs to all, God Bless and give all of you a peaceful night. I loved June's saying about "turning your worries over to God, he is awake anyway", I have her real quote somewhere but not on this computer... 

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  Beautiful day in Central PA today!

OH, JENNY!  I'm so happy for you getting some family close by and adding another little member to the family!  What fun that will be.  And congrats on the healing process on your arm!

SHIRLEY, take care if the bad weather hits close by. 

About the cornbread...we had lots of it while I was growing up.  My mother made it and my grandmother made it.  I don't know if it had sugar in it or not but it baked either in a loaf pan and sliced or in muffin tins.  I wasn't a huge fan and my husband didn't like it at all so I didn't continue to make it.

Sorry to hear Rammel isn't going to be around!  I hope whatever it is that will keep him away will be short!

I do have to have more surgery and it isn't going to be easy but I have a surgeon that I trust partly because I was impressed with his time with me and partly because my other surgeon that I've had for a couple of years said that if she needed what I do, he's the one she'd want to have do it.  There's a surgical staff meeting tomorrow and after that I'll know when the surgery will be scheduled.  My daughter, Cindy, is coming this Friday from Oklahoma for a week long visit and he said that it will not be until after that.  I have not seen her since the pandemic shut down cancelled her last visit and I wasn't about to miss this one!

It's not easy to talk about this right now.  I thank you for your prayers and please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  I know you all have an "IN" and HE hears you!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Sandy

Jane   I am sorry to hear that  you need more
surgery.  Peace be with you. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...Duplicated: i know you are always happy when your sons ( your babies ) are living closer to you....Oh forgetting you mentioned another baby...so it is double good news..

Jenny good morning from me, and a good night to you...

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S...good advice from Shirley and Junes quote " Turning our worries over to God, He is awake anyway "

Jane i am off to morning church this morning i will say a prayer for you when inside...

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Thank you for any and all prayers.  Cooper is asking for his walk this morning and I have to get dressed and take him.  I'll try to get back later.  In the meantime, I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!