Random Image

Osprey

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for January 1, 2022

Started by so_P_bubble, January 01, 2022, 03:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

I'm on my way to the haystack.  My eyes have already entered slam shut mode and I can hardly keep them open.  My bed is cleared off and ready to receive me so all's well.  Cooper will be joining me tomorrow morning at 7 so I have to be wide awake and ready.

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning...

The day is starting off chilly here with a temp of 5°. Busy morning  then coast this afternoon. Taking Kyle in for an appointment and will pick up his planer blades this morning. He looked for them yesterday but didn't find them . I looked for them on line and yes the store does have them ,even gave the isle they were on. I was going to pick up 1/2 pint jars to can more mushrooms but when I checked for prices they are about 3.00 more a case here!! So mushroom soup will be made today and I will pick up jars when we go to the city. I noticed all jars were up in price!

Jenny Kyle uses a planer to make rough lumber smooth. Blades do last a long time and it has been a while since they were replaced.  This will give you a better idea.

https://tinyurl.com/3uye8f4b

Better get a wiggle on and get ready for town.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

A WINTER FRIEND

> This article is so befitting for all of us... take time to ponder... the
 last statement printed in red cannot be refuted:
  READ SLOWLY!
 AND THEN IT IS WINTER
 You know time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the
 passing years.  It seems like yesterday that I was young, just married, and
 embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons
 ago, and I wonder where all those years went.

I know that I lived them all.  I have glimpses of how it was back then and
 of all my hopes and dreams.      But, here it is... the winter of my life,
 and it catches me by surprise... How did I get here so fast? Where did the
 years go and where did my youth go? I remember well seeing older people
 through the years and thinking that those "older people" were years away
 from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or
 imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey... they move
 slower and I see an older person in myself now.  Some are in better and
 some worse shape than me... but, I see the great change... Not like the
 ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age
 is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see
 and never thought we'd be.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the
 day!  And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory!  Cause if
 I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so... now I enter this new season of my life unprepared for all the
>aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things
 that I wish I had done but never did!!  But, at least I know, that though
 the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last... this I
 know, that when it's over on this earth... it's over.  A new adventure
 will begin!

Yes, I have regrets.  There are things I wish I hadn't done... things I
 should have done, but indeed, there are also many things I'm happy to have
 done.  It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet... let me remind you, that it will be
 here faster than you think.  So, whatever you would like to accomplish in
 your life, please do it quickly!  Don't put things off too long!!  Life
 goes by quickly.  So, do what you can TODAY, as you can never be sure
 whether this is your winter or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life... so,
 LIVE FOR TODAY and say all the things that you want your loved ones to
 remember.. and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things
 that you have done for them in all the years past!!

The most important thing we need to do is meet and accept Jesus Christ> into our life as our Lord and saviour.
 "Life" is a GIFT to you.  The way you live your life is your gift to those
 who come after.  Make it a fantastic one.

Remember:    "It is Health that is real Wealth and not pieces of gold and
 silver."

~Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
 ~Going out is good.. coming home is even better!

~You forget names... but it's OK, because other people forgot they even
 knew you!!!

~You realize you're never going to be perfect at everything.... especially
 golf.

~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you
 really do care that you don't care to do them anymore.

~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's
 called "pre-sleep."

~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF"
 switch..

~You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"...???

~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.

~Everybody whispers.>
 ~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never
 wear.
 ~But "Old" is good in some things:
 Old Songs, Old movies ...
 and best of all, our dear ...OLD FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!"
Just get started
        and
Keep on Keepin' on
You Can Do This
if you  really want to..

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

I liked this one, Amy.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only OLD person left in the world.  I live on a street where there are young children playing in the yards and new babies are being born to young and active parents and I realize that I am the oldest person in the neighborhood by a lot of years.  How did that happen? It's reassuring to know that I am not really the oldest woman on Earth and that others have the same problems and feelings that I have.  Thanks for posting it.

Cold and breezy and cloudy here.  I'm waiting for the sun to come out later today.

Take care, All.   
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. AMY thanks for the Post. you realy figured it out right with It. well I don't froget any thing I just cant reamber It when I need to. I Have a sore throught today. sun Is very bright today, Not a cloud in sightIt has creaped up to 25º now and very bright sun. I have a lot of things to do Out side But with this sore throught I am going to be a cpuch jockey today. and sip on My honey liemon and burbon Mixtuer. A old drugest gave Me that formula yers ago. It will take care of head or chest cold. Have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

JaneS

Oh my gosh, SHIRLEY!  That soup smells so good I can hardly wait for lunch.  I have the canner ready and I'm going to do 8 pints right now.  When I have it in the canner, I'm going to eat a bowl for my lunch!  I bet it's GREAT!

AMY, love your post and it's sooooooo true!

Amy

Jane, I bet your kitchen makes ones nose happy!!

Lloyd, gargling with warm salt water will also help a sore throat........just won't make you as happy as the bourbon ;) ..
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Oh, Jane, I hope you have some taco chips. I have to go to the store first, before I make mine! And isn't it great to realize you are getting a balanced diet with that one soup.  :thumbup:

The sun is bright but still nippy out. I went out to open the gate to the pool area so Callie doesn't have to climb the fence & two of the neighbor's chickens took off. They have almost become regulars & we don't know if they fly over or have a hole in the fence we haven't discovered. I don't care if they want to come eat my bugs but not anxious for them to leave their little "gifts" on the grass carpet around the pool.  ::)  The cats ignore them but I am concerned that they will cross over my berm into the pitbull's yard on the other side.

Poor Tom is hanging on, he got me up before 4:00 am, wanting something other than the bowl of dry food. I brought him into (followed so he could hear my voice) the kitchen where Tiger & Callie slept and fed them a heaping T of tuna & made myself an egg sandwich & we all went back to bed for a little over an hour. Tom isn't safe to let outside at this stage, he loses his bearings & goes in circles.

Amy, I loved the article, exactly what I preach to my kids all the time. My brother used a planer a lot. He had quite a lot of land with a creek (haha, creek was wider than the Arkansas River behind my house). Trees would fload down the river, nice ones, walnut, oak, etc... so he would let them dry out on his landings & then saw them up & plane them smooth. He started doing this when he took me to one of his friends that had walnut slabs about 2" thick that I bought to have bases cut for sculptures. I paid $75. for the small one & $150 for a larger board, they were small enough to fit inside my van to bring home. Then paid a man here to cut them the sizes I wanted, planed, sanded & varnished & so far I've donated 2 pieces for charity autions that each brought well over $100, & a larger base I put under a Father Christmas I sculpted & gave to my daughter.... Can't say I made any money on those deals~~ I quit doing the art shows when I started sculpting and since then quit sculpting. Got busy taking care of OLD people (Cas & myself).

Phyllis, I still have one neighbor my age but don't see her often. We've lost touch with Covid. Two of the ladies my age have moved into retirement places but still own their homes. I hope to have a Christmas in July "tea" for the close neighbors. We'll see how Covid is then. I have not been down "Back Bay Blvd" since the leaves are all gone. They put a roundabout at the end of the park across the river, before it turns into downtown Wichita.

Lloyd, hope your sore throat gets better soon. Don't take any chances. I have good luck with gargling with hot salt water, just keep a mug full & pop it into the microwave to heat every hour or so & clears me up fast.

haha, Amy, I see you agree with the salt water gargle! I'll bet Nancy says the same. For sure my father indulged/prefered Lloyd's remedy!

JaneS

SHIRLEY, I just took 8 pints of SHIRLEY'S TACO SOUP out of the canner to cool and the canner is heating up to do the rest of it.  I don't think it will be a full canner but we'll see.  And I had a nice bowl for my lunch.  I tasted it and it was goooooo-oood!  But I'm someone who likes my Mexican style food a bit on the hot side so I sprinkled a little "SuckleBusters Texas Gunpowder" and it was just what it needed (for me).  I was going to add some to the rest of the soup but decided to use it as I eat it because everyone I feed doesn't like hot stuff.  Frankie does but her mother doesn't!

I'm going to enjoy this for the rest of the winter!  Thanks for that recipe!

Now I'm going to try LLOYD'S fried pies.  I'm doing them with cherries because I have cherries canned and ready to go.  And I'm going to do them in the oven instead of frying them because Nancy said that's better for us!

It's sunshiny here but still cold.  It only got up to 27º and that's cold for this area.  We do sometimes get down in the low to mid teens and we've had days below 0 in years past but that was back when I was young enough not to mind.  I'll be looking forward to Spring!  Just like all the rest of you!  Enjoy the rest of your day!

patricia19

Good morning from an Interior that has warmed up from a week of minuses to a week or two of pluses. Of course, that means we have another snow advisory, blowing snow and wind chills. That must be the meaning of what is happening outside my window today.

A large grader with military markings has a small fleet of seven city dump trucks following it as it scrapes its way along the street. It's a coordinated action as when the dump truck fills and leaves; another one moves up on the left. Of course, the four feet or so of filled sidewalks remain.

Wednesday, management will clear our parking lots and hopefully our sidewalks. Taxis, mail, and delivery trucks have issued a ban on entering our parking lots, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it...

This year's paradox is that it both slammed the record books in Interior's snow amount and climate changes.

Tomorrow, I'll be going outside for the first since the third as the unnecessary travel ban has lifted.

Amy

Patricia, can you handle all that excitement?  :2funny:
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

The grader returned to clear our side's sidewalk off, putting the snow back in the center of the street. Does this mean the grader will return with its fleet of dump trucks? Stay tuned for what's next in this riveting drama!  ::)

Yearly snow averages;  "In December, for instance, one in four years totals over 13.5 inches of snow. Another 25 percent of years receive less than 6.2 inches for the month. Similarly, in January, fresh snowfall in the heaviest years amounts to 11.5 inches or more, while the lightest years get less than 4.6 inches."  December 2021 saw an 89% increase in the historical average in charted snowfall.

Amy, I've been practicing deep breathing techniques so I've got this covered... :2funny:

Edit: Grader and trucks are back. Now, whatever will I do for entertainment next?

20220110_104918a.jpg

Shirley

Hey, Jane, I had to have a nap I could remember the name of the stuff Cas added to a lot of my recipes because "he liked it HOT"... name is Tabasco sauce!!!  I thought my tongue would fall off when I tried it ONCE.  I do add the fresh cilantro salsa I buy at Sam's Club to mine sometimes, when I go to heat a bowl. I also add that to my chili at times. Just enough kick for me.

It is almost dark, too dark to walk to the river. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I may wash the grime off my car. I can't get in without getting myself dirty (short legs). I was disappointed that the dealer I bought this one from doesn't vac the inside when they wash the car after an oil change.  Besides, they don't chamois it off, either. Not all Buick dealers are the same.  ::)  Had a 7 year warranty on the last one & only 3 years on this, won't be buying a car from this one again. Basically the same cars with all bells & whistles (that I never learned to use but helps with trade in value). I do not like all the new bells & whistles Buick came up with in those 7 years! Enough whining.

Patricia, I watch the birds & squirrels (& now the neighbor's chickens) from my windows. My son & wife gave me a gel floor mat for my birthday, I was surprised & pleased when they brought it over yesterday since they will be gone to DisneyWorld for my birthday. Their daughter & family plus son-in-law's parents are all going at same time so they can share the 2 grands. Both sets of grandparents babysit & take to school/preschool those little ones since the day they were born. Not many kids have it so lucky. I do spend a lot of time leaning on the counter top at the sink, watching the world from that front window. The chickens come to the back yard so I see them when sitting at this computer. Your snow is beautiful, I can still appreciate even if I'm not crazy about cleaning it off this year.

Oops, forgot & am typing on the post instead of Wordpad. Better post before it vanishes!

patricia19

Shirley, I have three windows that all look down on the backside of the building and an old mix of older homes and even older industrial areas. Those on the other side look out at the central park and city buildings. Since they took out all the trees, the only nonavian wildlife I see are occasional dogs in the building's dog park below.

I can see portions of the river if I look, squint further west, but that's it. The river is a block away, or at least the main loop is. I would love a better river view, or of chickens, and animal life. Many of my friends live in the ridges and foothills and see wildlife daily, wolves, foxes, eagles, hawks, etc. They also have yards that may measure in acres. I am so jealous and take hundreds of drool-worthy photos every time I'm out there.

Unfortunately, they're at the age where they and their children are starting to talk about selling out and moving into town. It's the same feeling I have about no longer being able to take my camera and visit the wildlife refuge and sanctuary.

JaneS

OK, I ended up with 16 pints of SHIRLEY'S TACO SOUP one of which will be gone tomorrow because Frankie wants to try it when she picks up Cooper tomorrow.  I have a feeling it's not going to last very long.  It's way too good.

I have all my Christmas decorations down and put away for another year.  I had to leave them up until Christy and her husband made it up here to celebrate with us!  And now (except for the plants) I'm back in the normal groove.

My eyes have already entered slam shut mode so I'm off to bed.  I didn't get LLOYD'S fried pies done today so that's a job for tomorrow.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Amy

Good morning..

Another geemogotchee day here temp is - 20° . Taking van in for an oil change first thing this morning then home to pick up hubby, take him back in to the  pharmacy. Ra Dr. phoned yesterday and has given him a new med plus upped  another.Not sure how the rest of the day will go but will know by tonight. :thumbup:

Jane, I need to pick up some of the items for Shirley's soup and then I am good to go. Made mushroom soup yesterday and will use that up first.

Lloyd, hope you are feeling better this morning.

Phyllis, I think we all feel that way at times. Sometimes this body works well and other times it feel older than dirt. One foot ahead of the other and we do get to where we are going.

Better get ready for town..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Got up early with Tom, cats fed, I'm fed and only Tiger and I awake.... so heading back for more of those zzzzzzzzzzzzs I missed out on last night. Supposed to be 60° the next 3 days, that'll sure confuse the trees & shrubs! 'night-'night

Gloria

Yikes  9° here and feels like minus-6°. First time in 4 years it has been that cold here. So happy I do not have to go out today. Guess I have become soft since I retired and stay inside when it is too cold or too hot these days. In my working years I went to work every day no matter what the weather was.

JANE  looks like you are happy with that soup. I think I am too much a Yankee to ever get a taste for Mexican food. Every time I went to San Diego my daughters would take me somewhere to try some but never cared for it. My SIL will not eat any of it. He says he lives north of that border so will eat the food from that area.

PATRICIA  you really do not get much snow there. Some years here we do not see bare ground till March after the first snow fall.

SHIRLEY  I see cars and the parking lot and trees when I look out and maybe someone walking to their car or coe in from their cars. There is a black cat that wonders around.   

AMY  it is a geemagotchee day here, too. not as cold where you are but the coldest in almost 4 years here.

Better go get dressed, CNA will be here at 9 this morning. I sure do not like having to hurry and do anything in the mornings anymore.

Have a good day and stay safe. 

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. I had a very rough night last Night, I have Just got up about 15 Min. ago.temp Is 38º and clear, not a cloud in sight. My rt hearing aid is not staying to gather very good, I just got it back a few days ago.so I am going to take it to the local girl after while, she dose a lot beter re tubing it. Have a great day everyone. see you all later.

Lloyd

phyllis

Bright and sunny here but a little too cold for this body to enjoy.  ;D It will supposedly get up to 41 deg. today.  I realize that doesn't sound cold to some of you but it is cold enough to me.  I'm  grateful for a nice warm house.

I'll get a delivery from Papa Spuds today so I must make sure there is room in the fridge for everything.  And, that plus a little household laundry pretty much sums up my day's activity.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm late getting in here because I had some things nagging at me to get done.  I got them all done and there's already something else raising it's head to begin nagging.  Where do they all hide?

PHYLLIS,  I'm going to have to look up Papa Spuds.  I've never heard of it.  Is it some kind of dinner plan?  There are so many of them around these days!

Our temp has made it all the way up to 16º from a low of 10 when I got out of bed this morning.  I'm ready for Spring.  I hope February 2nd is not a sunny day and Punxatawney Phil doesn't see his shadow and go running back into his hole for another 6 weeks!

I have to get busy and get some stuff done.  I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow!

Amy

Morning has had a wrench thrown in it. Vehicle needs work so I phoned  the neighbour to see if he would pick me up. Garage will call when work is finished and neighbour will take me back in.

Jane, we are up to -12° now and a nice sunny day out there. Just fed the birds and now they too can have a tummy full.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Good morning, everyone, Amy; I hope your day goes better, minus two this morning with a high expected of plus ten and with one to two inches of snow this afternoon and evening. Our street and sidewalks are plowed. The opposite side's sidewalk is full of snow in something of an enigma.

There's nothing on the agenda today except for general chores and perhaps some laundry if I have time. I have to check in with my sister to see how my niece is doing, and that's about it for today.

Amy

Patricia, you're warmer than we are!!!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Don't worry, it'll be back. We're just enjoying a respite.

JaneS

I'm having one of LLOYD'S pies for my supper and it's delicious!  It must also smell good because Cooper is sitting beside me begging!

Amy

Jane, did you bake them in the oven or use your air fryer?
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

I noticed Rick has been missing so I sent him e-mail threatening I'd track him down like we did with Lloyd, he still didn't answer so I called him tonight & got his son (Ricky). Rick is in the hospital with a problem he has had before so they do the IV drip of antibiotics & he hopes to be home in 2 or 3 days. He does NOT have Covid (but hospitals can give it to you, right?) Anyway, say a prayer, anyone in the hospital can use them. His son sounds like a really sweet kid (okay, anyone under 75 is a kid, right?) 

I'm heading off to bed as soon as Callie comes back inside. She is loving the warmer weather so spent most of the day out, came in several times to eat & right back out. Poor Tom, he went out in the pool area for a little while & even managed to walk to the other side when Callie & I went down to the river. Tom isn't up to the walk anymore & was happy to come back inside & go back to the only room where he knows his way around. He gets up every couple hours to eat some dry food, have a drink & find the litter box, so I listen to make sure he is back in bed before I go back to sleep. Today I didn't get a nap to make up for the lack of zzzzzzzzzzs last night so I am staggering & starting to snore before I get to bed. Tiger is watching all the goings on but mostly stays inside. She has the run of the house upstairs & down but is missing some of the attention she used to get before Tom got so sick & blind.

While we're on the record for missing people, has anyone seen a post from Jackie lately?  I know my mind/brain has been "fractured" with holidays & Tom needing attention, but I haven't seen a post from Jackie for quite a while. 

I'm off to bed, sweet dreams to all and God Bless! 

JaneS

Prayers on the way for RICK!  Thanks for letting us know about him, SHIRLEY.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jackie over in the word games but I can't say for sure.  I'll check that out after I finish here.

I'm just about to hit the hay and I hope it's full of zzzzs because I'm really tired and my eyes have already let me down.  They entered slam shut mode while I was trying to watch TV.  Now I'm going to let them do their thing.

I wish all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow and may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

Well I stoped in before I caled it a night. well I went to local VA and goy my hearing aid fixed with the girl that Knowes what she Is doing and cares also for Us vets wel being. I am off to bed, If I never told you all before.we got a heated Matres pad, shure helps for a good peasfuel nights restfull sleap. see you all tomorow.  Good night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd