Random Image

Wesley

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for January 15, 2022

Started by so_P_bubble, January 15, 2022, 07:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gloria

Good morning everyone. I was here yesterday but could not post or see my name at the top or sign in. Had to use Facetime to talk to my daughter yesterday, glad I keep that phone charged and not for using that thing. I dislike talking on a cell phone. Beginning to think I should get hearing aids. Had a light dusting of snow overnight. Now I have phone calls to make.
No news here so will try to post and hope to get off the phone before the CNA gets here. I sure dislike their coming early. Messes up the routine I have had for several years. Oh well, that's life and at least I am still here to aggravate everyone.  :-\
Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Jane, that would be a great job for Frankie and you!! You will get Cooper to look after .Praying she gets the job!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria I am glad you are here also, But we calll it loveing not tormeanting.we have over cast skys even tho the weather says clear sky it is 33º here now. I am going to hull and crack more black walnuts today. they are a good iteam to have in the frezer. all of you stay safe and sound, see you later.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria ? Nancy and I neither cant reamber where we Had dinner with you and othere for one of our Bashes, do you.

Lloyd

phyllis

I'm sorry, Shirley.  I know how you feel...we lost our much loved mini-dachshund, Charlie Brown, more than 40 years ago and I still miss him.  He was the most loving little dog I had ever had.  I never got another pet....didn't want to go through that heartache again.  Hugs of sympathy for you.

Cold again this morning but sun is shining.  I'm not functioning very well today...brain fog.  I'll go eat some breakfast and hope my brain will start working again soon.

Take care, All.

EDIT:  Have you seen the latest "must have" appliance?  The Instant Pot Dutch Oven.  Looks intriguing but think I'll pass this time.  I have too many things sitting on my counter and stored in the cupboards, as it is now.   :idiot2:
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Phyllis!! You're an enabler.........now I have to go look!!! :2funny:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Amy.....hee! hee!  (snicker)
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Phyllis, I did go and look and I too shall pass on this. I do have a cast iron pot that is enamel lined and heavy to boot!!

One good turn deserves another.....have fun with this and warning it can be addictive.

https://wordlegame.org/

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Good morning from the Interior where we're presently at 36 for a low and expecting more snow, ice and rain! These days evidently anything goes! :-\

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Janie, so happy that Frankie and Cooper are back "in residence" (part-time, anyway) and wishing Frankie Good Luck with the possible new job.

Shirley, so sad to learn about Tom Cat. I know these last days have been hard for you and you will miss him.

Didn't go back to check but I think - was it Patricia? - mentioned a toaster oven in the Instant Pot/Air Frier conversation.  I couldn't do without mine, either.  Was glad to find toaster-oven size baking pans in the Miles Kimball catalog and have several small casserole dishes that fit perfectly.

I'm making progress with the office shelf sorting/organizing.  Will have a large heavy trash bag of "stuff" to be shredded/recycled.  Fortunately, there's a place here that takes large amounts of that sort of thing.

Sunny and temperature supposed to be in the high 50's today.  Then we're back in the deep freeze.  Patricia is right in saying "Anything Goes".

Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.

patricia19

We're now at plus 38 and still rising to an expected high of plus 40. However, the clouds that hold the heat in are leaving ever-widening patches of blue skies so I doubt we'll go that high.

At 2:12 we're now at plus 41! Unreal for January!

mycheal

Now you ambitious one's come to IOWA,help shoveling the snow in 5* weather, going to -20* below tonight,.
But hey I will get the pressure cooker out, toss a beef roast in it and we'll have "Hot beef sandwiches" that are out of this world.
I too am on my last gasket and cannot find another YIKES now what !~!~!~
I too had a wiener dog ,  my kid, nearly 13 years old, thus NO MORE...Still miss her.
SO while this contraption is still running I'll close for now...Let me know so I know how many or big of roast to get :)

RAMMEL

Finally made it to the attic. The new (unused)Pressure cooker I have is a "duo Pressure Cooker made by FAGOR.  I believe it was a QVC presented item when my wife bought it. It came with two sized pots and one interchangeable cover - with controls built into the cover. It's stainless steel and for stove top (not electric). She was always afraid of pressure cookers - as so many were. I read over the instructions once but must do it again.  Will learn better with "Hands On". My guess is my first attempt will be the Bean Soup that was posted here on S&F. I also found a Braun Immersion Blender up there and some other neat stuff.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Phyllis,
About that bean soup you mentioned a few days ago. How long does it stay under pressure, and is there any indication about the pressure? As I indicated above I do have a pressure cooker, but it's not a IP (No auto features).  But I think if I can get in the ball park I can "adjust" as needed  :2funny:

You can teach old people new tricks
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  I think I'd like to root around in Rammel's attic and maybe take a couple things home with me!

Frankie is back to work tomorrow and for how long neither of us knows.  She was offered a part time job at the hospital today and she asked them if they had any full time ones available.  They said they do and they sent her the info to apply for full time.  She did that today and now we wait and see what happens.

I'm off to the haystac,.  I have to be up early tomorrow to see Frankie off to work.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow!  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Shirley

I'm thinking about going to bed early, THINK about it every night but usually about 11:30 pm when I finally crawl in, cover up & say my 4 short prayers that put me right to sleep. I've always been able to go to sleep fast but after being on my own for going on 9 years, Fitbit will tell me for sure how fast sleep comes. I focus on each word, prayers we all learned as children & take less than 5 min to mentally say & I'm doing good to get the last few words in.

Thank all of you for the kind words, I really was shocked at the whole day, helpless feeling at not being able to make his passing more peaceful. I will get a pup when Callie & Tiger are gone, I need something to take care of. Today has been surprising, I didn't realize how much time I spent fixing food for Tom & the girls, but it was Tom that was hungry all the time. Today Tiger has not eaten any of the foods Tom liked best, Callie did. Tiger has been sleeping in Tom's bed & doing what Tom liked to do. On the other hand I'm guessing that nature teaches mothers to give up their attachment to their young & Callie is spending more time out than inside. I so miss him but more relieved it is over.... at this time I think I will opt to find a way to make it easier for them, even if I just ask a vet to give them a shot to let them be asleep during the time it takes for their body to shut down. I did print 3 copies of the Rainbow Bridge, first time I saw the link to original version to print, for each of my kids since all 3 have kids with pets & for sure those grands will be a mess when they have to deal with pets deaths themselves. Like I told my kids, "it's part of life & worth dealing with for the years of happiness each pet has been".

And life goes on, I'm getting a kick out of Rick's venture in the kitchen. I think that is the brand name of the pressure cookers I bought for my kids. I used mine yesterday to cook a pot of beans & enjoying having some to freeze for more meals. I have some microwave "glass" bowls that are large enough to run hot water over the bottoms of the frozen plastic ZipLoc tubs, pop the beans into a bowl & cover with those plastic covers for that purpose (sure saves cleaning the microwave every time).

The roast sound delicious, I've never done one in my pressure cooker as I use the cast iron Dutch ovens for that. Two of my brothers could cook better than their wives & my father bragged about "all the guys on a camping trip would help with the cooking". They used pressure cookers in the higher elevations & cooked a lot of beans & chili...

Micheal, last gasket I found for that big old pressure cooker was at a repair shop, was SO surprised to find it. I even used to make meat loaf in the pressure cooker because the old one had a rack on bottom to keep from scorching & let the grease drain out, but stainless steel won out, even though the meat didn't sit on the aluminum. Good luck. 

My scrambled thoughts for this day. It was comforting to hear from each of you dealing with pets & how much they are still missed. My sister just adopted a large poodle that a man took to the humane society where her daughter's friend works. They are a perfect match & has made a big difference in my sister's days (she was 91 Christmas Day). She says the dog is just like her, not interested in being outside so she opens the door to fenced back yard & it is back wanting inside before she walks away from the door. The man gave them $400 to find homes for his 2 dogs, he couldn't take care of them anymore. I suggested she have the Humane Society contact him to let him know the one has a great home.... if me I would invite him over to visit the one she has, but she didn't like that idea. My sister & I are not at all alike.  :-\  ;) 

Rick, I let the pressure go down & check my beans & add water if needed, I like mine "mash/soft" so build up pressure again & again until the soup is the way I like it. I think I learned along the way that it takes different times depending on if the beans are fresh picked or end of the season.  One time with the old one I walked past the stove & flipped the dinger off without thinking & bean soup sprayed to the ceiling & ran down the wall behind, never saw such a mess. Never did that again!

RAMMEL

Quote I even used to make meat loaf in the pressure cooker because the old one had a rack on bottom to keep from scorching & let the grease drain out, but stainless steel won out, even though the meat didn't sit on the aluminum.

The old Mirro also had a basket with seperators.
Shirley, Is the one you used yesterday the old Mirro or Fagor? If it was the Fagor what setting (High or Low) did you use?  And HOW LONG (for a start).

JaneS - You'd love to rummage around in my attic. All sorts of pots and pans, dishes, glasses. I think I could start a small housewares shop with all the stuff.

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

I haven't used the old one since getting the new.... Fagor is what I think I got for the kids. I brought the lid over on one I used yesterday, brand name is Rapida, got it on sale because the book was missing so I Googled/using duckduckgo/ & discovered it is Fagor Rapida... so that's what a sharp memory I have.  :2funny:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fagor+rapida+pressure+cooker+manual&t=chromentp&atb=v1-1&ia=web   And if that doesn't work you can Google yourself!  ;)  My lid only has 3 settings & one is for steam. It has a green "switch" lever on the handle to lock the lid for pressure. A little orange button pops up when pressure builds up & that has to go down to remove the lid. Doesn't sound like we have the same model & I didn't see any links except to e-bay to find them now.  I love mine so give it a try, can't do more than blow up.  ::)

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I've been complaining about how this computer is so slow and this morning I figured out what was making it slow...it needed a battery in the remote hand piece.  Now it's working fine.

SHIRLEY, I don't know if I ever said how sorry I am that you lost your little guy.  I am sorry!  I know how that feels.  I still sometimes call my little girls when it's time to go to bed or I think they might want to go out.  I miss them something fierce and I know you will miss him, too!

I have to get dressed and take Cooper for a walk pretty soon.  He's finished begging my breakfast and that means his next setting will be at the door.  And sometime this morning, I have to get a shower and get ready for a visit with the Dr. who did my surgery.  I haven't seen him since I opted out of the radiation and I'm wondering what he'll have to say about that!

Also, I think they'll be calling me to pick up my car sometime today and I'm hoping that on our way home from the dr. appt will work.  Cathy could drop me off then and it would save someone a trip!

Yesterday, Frankie ate my last pint of veggie soup.  I have 2 quarts left of last year's soup and then I'm finished.  I have to start assembling the stuff to make more.  I don't think I've EVER been out of Veggie soup!

Rick, if you hear a noise in your attic, it's probably just me, rummaging around up there!

And I better get this day started.  I wish you all a good day...better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning

A wee bit of snow here  maybe 1 1/2" so nothing to worry about.
Need to make sure work is done today  and a meal prepared that will have leftovers for tomorrow.

Mycheal, both Shirley and I have snow blowers and would make short work of the 5" of snow. Mine is a 29" 3 stage cub cadet and can blow the snow over to the neighbours. :)  Google parts for  the make of your pressure cooker . I do like Shirley's idea as they make keep parts for older cooker. I do like the idea of you making the meal, as I think all of us that cook appreciate a meal we didn't have to prepare. Hot dogs would be perfect too!!

Rammel, I believe we all were intimidated by a pressure canner/cooker and some did have a mess on their hands...or ceiling . :2funny: As Shirley said wait for that button to go down. The Instant pots (electric) have a built in pressure gauge and once I put all the ingredients in I can walk away from it......I won't go far when I am using the one on the stove though. You will master this, just takes time.

Jane, that is good news  now to get the full time job for Frankie!!

Patricia, we are -10°F at the moment......bet your temp will pass it!!

Gloria, one day closer to having Yvette back!!

Phyllis, made your rice pudding with arborio rice in the IP turned out really tasty!

Callie, we have a shredder called a cookstove...once in there the paper doesn't stand a chance! ;D

Better get on with the day..

Enjoy your day and stay safe..

Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.It Is 33ºF and clear here this morning. I am dressed for the day,the usual dailey head ake. I think I will cal the new docter at VA and see what he thinks, life is no fun this way. Havea good day just like you like it.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, snow overnight again, about an inch this time. 2 nights in a row is snowed here if it keeps up like this we may end up with some real snow, not the teasing we are getting.
Think I am going to make an appointment to get my ears checked, the TV is starting to sound garbled to me. Maybe if I turned it up louder I would hear it better and then the neighbors would complain and the witch would be knocking on my door.

AMY yes I know you have had enough already this winter but I still enjoy looking at it and wish I could still get outside to enjoy it.

LLOYD  looks like the overcast here is getting lighter, maybe we will have sun before the end of the day. I never went to any of the bashes in SN. We have never met.

JUst had to go back to yesterday's posts, wonder how I missed all of them.

SHIRLEY  sorry about Tom but I think you knew it was coming. I know what it is like to see a pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.

JANE  would be great for Frankie get that job closer to home and you.

PHYLLIS  if i had more counter space or place to store things I would most likely have a lot more appliances. With a toaster oven and dish drainer on one side of the sink and a microwave and Keurig on the other other is no room for anything else. The other side of the kitchen has the fridge and stove with a foot between them and a foot on the other side of the stove.

I better get moving because CNA will be here before I get dressed.
Have a good day and stay safe.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

Rammel, I don't think I can give you a good answer on how long to cook the bean soup.  I haven't used a top of the stove Pressure cooker in years and I believe the stove top and the IP cook under different pressures.  My last stove top cooker was a BRAVA.  I don't remember who made it.  I can only tell you that in the IP I set the timer for 50-60 minutes.  I check the beans (I don't pre-soak them) and if they aren't soft enough (we like them soft and mashable, too) I put them back in the pot and cook for another 5-10 min.  As Shirley said, not all dried beans are the same.  The older the bean the longer it takes to soften.

Can someone else here who maybe still has instructions for a STOVE TOP pressure cooker answer Rick's question better?

mycheal,  Our little Charlie Brown died at age 13, too.  We had him from the time he was weaned from his mother until the day he died.  Those little dogs worm their way into your heart, don't they? Was your little girl a mini or standard?

I'm running late, as usual.  Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Rick, I am posting this here so you can see the timing of the beans. Hope this helps. Made me hungry!

Pressure Cooker Bean Soup.

1 pound dried navy beans, sorted and rinsed
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, cut into ½ inch dice
2 cloves garlic, sliced
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 ½ pounds smoked ham hocks (or a hambone and some leftover ham)
8 cups water
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
Minced parsley for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS
Sort and rinse the beans: Sort the navy beans, removing broken beans, stones, or dirt clods. Rinse the beans and set aside.
Saute the aromatics: Heat the butter in the pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat until it stops foaming. Add the onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt. Saute until the onions are softened and browning around the edges, about 8 minutes.
Pressure cook the beans: Drain the navy beans, rinse, and add to the pressure cooker. Set the ham hocks on top of the beans, then pour the water over everything. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, and cook at high pressure for 30 minutes in an electric PC, or 26 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure release naturally, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid carefully, opening away from you - even when it's not under pressure, the steam in the cooker is very hot.
Shred the ham hock, season, and serve: Remove the ham hock from the pot with a slotted spoon or tongs, and set aside to cool. Ladle 2 cups of beans into a blender and puree the beans, then stir back into the pot. (I use my stick blender for this step.) When the ham is cool enough to handle, shred it, then stir the ham back into the pot. Stir in the fresh ground black pepper. Now, taste the soup, and add salt until the soup tastes sweet and full of body, and you can just feel the taste of salt on the tip of your tongue. (I needed 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to get the taste I wanted.) Serve with a sprinkle of minced parsley on each bowl.
NOTES

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Good morning in the Interior with plus 25 to start. Tomorrow we begin creeping downward again. We've had close to an inch of daily snow, but nothing sticks around. All the past heavy snow has been either removed or shoveled into submission—nothing new here. I finished laundry yesterday and general tidying as well. Today, I hope to work on a vexing graphics filter issue.

I had quite a collection of cooking appliances at one time but beginning in 2013, with retirement, I started decluttering and today have only some cast iron or anodized pieces and some crockery. I do have three past Christmas presents I've never used and won't, but I won't donate them here as most are also contributing. I no longer can or meal prep as I'm eating less and more fresh. I've been on a fresh or frozen fruit kick lately and experimenting to see what I will eat.

I'm allowed white meat such as chicken or pork, frozen or fresh fish, fresh or frozen vegetables, turkey, tea, or coffee. Not microwavable, dairy, fast, convenience, or processed foods. Last grocery shop, I purchased some plant-based meats and have yet to try them. My hair, skin, and nails have never looked better or stronger but I miss many of those banned foods. However, a quick trip to the hospital over McDonald's brought it home to me to quit being childish.

Lloyd Hammond

patricia19 better be carfule with that frozen food, may chip a tooth or chill your toung. HA HA HA

Lloyd

patricia19

patricia19

The reason for our warmer temperatures, is winds whistling through the close mountain ranges. We have three sets.

According to Melissa Kreller, a Meteorologist with the National Weather Service, the warm winds have traveled to the Fairbanks area all the way from the Alaska Range.

"Right now we are in a southerly flow through the Alaska Range," Kreller explained, "and that's what's creating our Chinook winds, which are our down-sloping winds. So it gives us nice warm weather across the area, extending from the Alaska Range all the way north. Or when it's very strong, as far north as Fairbanks."

Normally, the winds need to be traveling at high speeds to be able to reach as far north as Fairbanks, and these current winds are going at extremely high speeds.

"What happens is, we get some southerly flow through the passes which creates kind of these warm, strong winds through the passes," Kreller elaborated, "and it goes down the mountains, and warms us up. So basically we get this warmer weather just because of the winds going through the passes, and right now we're experiencing anywhere from 70 miles per hour to 80 miles per hour. So it's a stronger Chinook wind, which means our temperatures here in the greater Fairbanks area are warmer."

However, these winds are already beginning to diminish - and as they do, the temperatures will begin to drop once more according to Kreller, "We are expecting the winds to diminish through the day today (Monday) and through the evening. So, we're going to see our warmest temperatures in the morning in the greater Fairbanks area, and it will be steady through the afternoon, and then slowly decrease in temperature as our winds start to diminish. The high wind warnings out for the Alaska Range go through 3:00 a.m. for the eastern Alaska Range, and then for the Denali area through 6:00 a.m."

RAMMEL

My thanks to all contributors of info for my venture into the world of food.  I will likely blent the data and come up with something good. The time and pressure were important items to me. The ingredients can surely be varied to ones taste.

I have mastered the Pork Chops. -- Something both my son and I like.

Shirley - I googled the info you gave here about your Pressure Cooker. The manual looks just about the same as the one I have, Might be some minor differences if the model is different.  Looks like they have several models, even one for canning (not for me).

Went over most of last years bills, receipts, bank statements this morning. Shredded those not needed and set aside receipts and other inf that may be needed (Tax, etc).  Murphy's law says I'll need some of the disposed stuff soon.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

I'm not ready to think about taxes yet, Rick, gives my tummy the shakes to have that go thru my brain. Ever since Cas died I've been trying to organize all those files, bought new ones & as I attempt to switch from his to my way of thinking, something else comes up & here I am with stuff in both files & a lot more on top of the desk that is waiting to go in one place or another. So far I've muddled thru 8 years but I'm always afraid I'll miss something.

When Cas was alive we filed quarterly taxes & he wanted to teach me how to do that & I refused. Fact was I knew when he died the "income" would cut in about half the way he set up the pension & Social Security, not a problem but I was pretty sure I could forget the quarterly & my tax guy agreed. I give the gov a lot more than I think they deserve but nobody listens to me! Still scares me to think about taxes.

And now with all the talk about cooking I am hungry for a bowl of sweet rice.... I know the milk will give me issues but gonna have some anyway. I did buy some Minute rice & cook a little longer so the milk & sugar absorbs, add some cinnamon on top & there's my protein & dessert all in one. I've enjoyed the pot of beans but added some salsa on top last night & was NOT the flavor I wanted. Ever since having Covid a year ago I can't eat what doesn't sound good, don't think I'm being spoiled but food won't go past the mouth if the head says "no".

Patricia, I copied the paragraph you described your new diet to send my daughter. With her Crohn's she is finding any time she eats all those same foods your body doesn't like she has a major upset. Since she got her Crohn's from both grandmothers, not surprising all 4 of her kids have it to some degree. The oldest (son) has had some surgeries & next (daughter) is on that awful med that keeps hers in remission but who knows what damage it will do. The younger two have learned what to eat & the youngest is super sensitive about gluten & soy. She takes her food with her where ever she goes & doing pretty good.

Have nothing to show for my day, both cats have slept & didn't even want much to eat all day. We were supposed to get some snow but radar kept showing it falling apart as it got near Wichita. We need moisture SO bad. I am going to do some house cleaning tonight since I slept off & on all day. Hate to run the sweeper with cats in the house but they are going to have to listen tonight!