Random Image

Bougainvillea blossom

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

[ I am fine, it's just that I feel so bloated all of the time.  I am just so tired.  I talked to the dietician and she said I could skip dessert.  There is a second menu, kind of ala carte  that I can order individual items and that may help.  My breakfast is good - cereal, orange juice and coffee.  I get the same food a 300 pound man would get if he ordered off the menu and that's too much for me.

Sundays there is ne no therapy and that is OK too. 

Today we were to have a party for the twins but Tom said the whole family was sick, so we will have the party later.

I have mentioned to three people today about the size portions offered for meals.  I don't want to necessarily ily lose weight, but I want to maintain my weight, not gain.  I have gained 9 pounds here ad I seldom eat much of the food.  I think they should weigh the people people when they come in serve appropriate portions.  I know the reason I am tired is because I am served so much.

It is snowing here but not much.

TTYL

Mary Ann

JeanneP

MaryAnn
That p lbs. is just after weight. You are either drinking to much water or dehydrated. You will be fine once you get home.
Jackie. I hope they get all that mass taken care of before spring. You need to be selling that place.
What a storm here right now.first high winds rain and now heavy snow storm. No going out for me.
I am getting off my iPad and moving to desktop.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I understand how you feel about the hospital food, because I've been there, and AJ was recently there too.  It's not that there's anything wrong with the food, or that it isn't tasty, or that there isn't enough or that there's too much.  It's that it's completely different from what we're used to eating, and somehow it doesn't seem right, because it's not like at home!

All of us get into certain routine eating habits at home.  Some good, (healthy), and some bad, (unhealthy). It matters not, because it's our food, it's familiar and it's comforting because we're at home.

When you get back home, your weight will return to whatever it should be for you, and you'll start feeling like yourself again.  I'm hoping you go home this Tuesday, as planned. 

FlaJean

Beautiful day today, but I only went outside a few minutes while Larry was filling the bird feeders.  The leaves are popping out on the trees and the azaleas should be blooming in another month.

Mary Ann, I hope you are able to go home Tuesday and that you will be more comfortable there.

Not much to write about so I think I'll Go look at the Hallmark Mystery Channel.

Have a good rest of the day, everyone.

Mary Ann

Jean, I got the wrong Tuesday,  When Tom corrected me, I realize it would be another week.  It was my fault. 
Tom and Annie stopped here this afternoon and both fly to Tulsa tomorrow.  Tom is anxious to see where Annie lives and she will be glad to have her dad with her.

I'm waiting to have someone "put me to bed" now. 

I ate more supper  than previous. 

One reason I will be glad to get home is that my mind will work  better an so will I; I have work better and so will I!

My light is not good.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Mary Ann, I'm hoping you'll be able to go back home soon.  It sounds as if you are making good progress.  Keep us posted and know we're all hoping/praying that you can get home again soon.

Sue

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior, where we had a very snowy weekend, and temperatures remain the same as last week, highs and lows in the twenties. I still have the head cold, but I can tell it's getting better.I'm still in quarantine, however. Farrah remains the same, hanging with me where ever I go in the house.

MaryAnn, another week sounds as if they want to reinforce some new habits, now you just need them to reduce your meals or perhaps substitute a nutritional supplement for some so you feel better? I hope Tom and Annie have a good visit and she gets some confidence back.

81157820_10216335220877091_5376696938831806464_n.jpg

Shirley

Haha, Patricia, your Maxine is perfect for MY Monday. I decided I had to do something to get the BP down before the cataract surgery or they wouldn't do it. Cutting out coffee is first on my list. Trouble is it works opposite on me & I had trouble going to sleep without my usual cup before bed. This morning I had a cup (can't do it cold turkey).... & could feel the heart race. It was 190 over ??? at the vision place , my normal good it 160 over... So will call doctors to try some new script & will do without coffee the rest of this day.

Mary Ann, I've done the same "rushing" the weeks to be over. This time my dreaded week is coming too fast! Do you think you eat smaller portions at home, reason for the weight gain? Main thing is to get your muscles strong enough to get up & down without help. You are same age as my brother and he is annoyed that he is so tired & winded. I remind him it is those pills they give you to slow you down, like a ball & chain dragging you down. That is what I am fighting to NOT take, but think it is a must do for now. Behave!!

Must get a move on, errands to run and a nap sometime. Cats are all sound asleep in different parts of the house. It is 34 degrees but feels like 26. Sun is bright but supposed to be cloudy. Weather guessers can't win 'em all.  ;) 

angelface555

This video is very similar to Farrah, even in regards to looks! Farrah was aggressive at all of her previous foster homes and she hid for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em93wRWURUY

FlaJean

Well, another day and another dollar or so the saying goes.  The sun is shining and the temps are supposed to be close to 70°F most of the week—at least in the afternoons.

Mary Ann, you will be ready to go home in another week for sure.  I'm glad Tom is going to Tulsa for a visit.  It will make Annie/Cate feel better.  When Gigi first left home and moved to Tampa for a job, my mother, Larry and I visited and she was so happy to see us and show off her "new" apartment.  My, such a long time ago.  Anyway, I'm sure Annie will appreciate having her dad and later her mother visit.  Everything will feel so different for awhile.

Marilyne, I hope AJ's medical results were good and that your weather has warmed up some?

Patricia, you sure have had a battle with that cold.  It's good to hear you are feeling better.

Jenny, I don't know how you keep up with that busy family of yours.

Jackie, I just hope the storm isn't too bad.  Let's just hope with the coming of spring there will also be better days ahead.

Have a good day, everyone.  Haven't heard from you lately, Rammel.  I trust all is going well in your life.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Sounds like you're feeling much better, except for the food not agreeing with you.  I hope you get that straightened out today?  I'm wondering how long Tom will stay in Tulsa?  I know you're anxious to go home, so I'll be hoping that when Tom gets back, you'll be able to return to your condo.  :thumbup:

Jean - AJ's appointment with his doctor isn't until next week, so we don't know the results of the Pet Scan yet.  However, we read what is posted online on his Stanford Patient Portal, and it looks good.  They told him if there was anything serious, that he would be notified and given an earlier appointment.  Yes, our weather has finally warmed up too.  Today is supposed to hit 70 degrees, and it will be a welcome change.  I walked out in the backyard earlier, and still a brisk wind blowing, but supposed to subside by afternoon. 

Patricia - I haven't looked at the video yet, but will look when I leave S&F.  If I click on a link, I can't get back into S&F again.  Used to be able to click on all links posted, and then right back, but since the most recent upgrade, it no longer works for me.  Glad you're feeling better.  Everyone here is talking about the Coronavirus, and many are wearing face masks when out in public.  We have four cases here in the Silicon Valley area, and many others under surveillance.  Reason being that there is a huge Chinese population here, and they go back and forth to China, on a regular basis.

Mary Ann

The only thing worse than Monday?  is another Monday, I guess.  Still, I love Maxine cartoons.

I have therapy twice a day and she was very kind to me today in that I went there this morning and brought me  here this aternoon.,  They're both young woman, both with families.  What I had this afternoon had to do with my legs and my legs were worn out.  I asked if I was improving they both said I did more minutes on the bicycle machines than  yesterday  so that is encouraging.  I will keep this short because I want to send a message to Indps.   My typing is bad.

I wonder if some of my meds are causing my problems and I don't like to feel this tired.  I don't know why I don't sleep.

Jan and her mother were here today.  I have not heard from Tom since they got to Tulsa yesterday.

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Monday evening to ALL.

This day has passed quickly for me......I had all kinds of plans for the day but only accomplished a few things! 

We started out with sunshine, but it did not last and just after noon  the snow flakes were flying again!  We planned to run a few errands, but decided to put them off until tomorrow.  Edit: Dave just called on his way home at 6:30 PM and the roads are really slick! 

Yesterday we attended a comic show, JEANNE ROBERTSON, at Denver University.  Michele bought us tickets, and we really enjoyed it.  We met Jeanne as we were walking in and chatted for a couple of minutes.  One of Bob's first cousins was sorority sister of hers at Auburn University, and she did remember her as they have been in contact over the years.  Many know her as the lady that talks about her husband that she calls "Left Brain".  She is a very funny lady.

Some friends of ours are on a 4 month cruise on the Queen Mary 2.  They are approaching Asia and have been told that they will not disembark in Asia at all.  They will stop in Malaysia for fuel and supplies.  This coronavirus is getting very concerning.

I have had many disruptions so think I had best post this before I loose it.

Have a good evening. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...the storm was bad, it is now over, i think even my workmen are a tad concerned as they have dug a long 4 foot high trench right across the garden which is high on a slope with a steep sloped field behind as i live down in the valleys, and the trench with the rain from the field is causing the trench they are digging to start to collapse...anyway leave it in their capable hands, at least they have been here cracking on with the work with another 2 or 3 weeks to go, hope complete before my home buyer gets back and comes round to see the mess..
" There is no present like the time "

Denver

JACKIE, they showed planes trying to land and take off in the U.K. and the winds were horrible.  It is not bad enough that you were dealing with the workmen and the mess and now this storm.  I sure hope the trench they have left open will not collapse.  What a mess!  Sorry for you😢
🦋 Jenny

MarsGal

Mary Ann, it sounds like they keep you busy. Glad you are doing okay. You might be interested to learn that I started reading Station Eleven. To my surprise and delight, the story is centered around the Lake Michigan/Lake Huron/St. Clair River (even mentioned Marine City and Algonac) area.

Sue, her husband Jim, and I had lunch at Cracker Barrel yesterday. I had the blueberry pancakes and a side of bacon. I was glad that the rain held off, but gee was it chilly and damp. Today it looks like more of same.

I could have sworn I saw something that said a student at Lafayette College in Easton came down with cronovirus, but now all I see are reports that although there are a bunch of quarantines but no confirmations yet. The closest here are students at F&M College in Lancaster and a couple from York.

Jenny
, I am sorry to hear that Michelle has to go through even more Chemo.

SCFSue

Good morning, all you Bait and Tacklers!  It's good to hear from Mary Ann--and I hope you're continuing to improve.  I hope you'll soon be able to return home.  Will Tom be back in time to bring you home?  Keep us posted--and I'm sending thoughts and prayers for your health and hope that you'll be able to get home ASAP!https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/Smileys/alive/rolleyes.gif

Have a nice day, Every Buddy--and stay inside if your weather is miserable!
Sue

angelface555

Good late morning from the Interior. Absolutely nothing going on here other than it's gone back to the minus rather than the plus twenties. The good news is I have 25 pounds lost of the 40 I need to, so that's good.

Marilyne

Is it just me, or are others having some problems with S&F today?  I couldn't get in for a long time, then it opened up, and then I got the blank page again.  Just now reopened for me, but I must be the only one, as I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone?

Nothing happening here today.  I have an appointment at 2:00, this afternoon with my Opthalmalogist, for pressure check and range of vision.  I don't think he will be dilating my pupils this time . . . I hope not.

I see we heard from a few members earlier today, so hope we hear from the rest of our usual contributors, sometime this afternoon. 

Mary Ann - I'm looking forward to hearing from you today.  I hope that you're feeling stronger and sleeping better?  Also that you're getting the food that you like?

Mary Ann

Patricia, good news on your weight loss.  It is hard to keep track of your location here  because I can't see the posts that good.  I had not posted any thing so I did not lost anything, but I hit a key and ended up at square one.

I have seen the sun shin and I guess I am sitting in sunshine. 

Sue. I hope to go home Tuesday but we will see.  It is a good time for Tom to be away..

MarsGal, they do keep me busy with therapy twice a day.  I swear they give me the same times and exercises they give younger people but they say they don't.  I'm tired by the end of therapy.

I read things about the virus - it is more serious than thought - and it is not!  Who do you  believe? 

Marilyn, it showed S&F with no messages today which seemed odd and I'll give it it another try.  I'll try again.  My computer showed no messages today which was odd.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne..
... no it isn't just you, our site has gone down a couple of times this last day or two, even was down this morning when i tried to get in from 5.30am but Oldiesmann is now in and i have gotten back in at 6.30am UK time...no one else is in apart from us two..
Our Christian site has also been down...
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

I couldn't get in yesterday afternoon, so I went off and did other things.

It looks like it is going to be a half decent day. It is 39o now and will climb into the high 40's. They have been underestimating how high it will get the last few days. It was 50+ yesterday.

I don't know what is up with our local Giant Food store. Lately, they have disappeared some branded products and are pushing their house brand. Also, the last few times I went into the store, they were out of some of the items I wanted. That is highly unusual for them. I also noticed, not unsurprisingly, that after all the pre-holiday specials, they raised regular prices, and hence sale prices, on a bunch of products. The company has also been on a push to buy up more of the local/regional grocery companies.

Other than checking on George's cats, I have nothing special on my agenda today.

Mary Ann

Things are OK for me but Tom is sick in Tulsa with a chest cold which disturbs me.  I sent him a message to take care of himself because I've got three women to take care of me when I get home.  Annie is gone during the day so he is alone but he has a room where Annie is.

TTYL

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Good morning to the first three members here this morning - Mary Ann, MarsGal, and Jackie!   It's good to see S&F, up and working again.

Mary Ann - Sorry to hear that Tom has come down with a bad cold, while in Tulsa.  That will probably keep him confined for a while, and he won't be able to get around Tulsa, and see the city and surrounding areas.  Well, there will be time in the future to return and see more. 

MarsGal - I've also noticed that prices have gone up considerably, at Safeway, and other grocery stores here.  I'm hoping it's just a Winter thing, and that maybe prices will drop again when Spring arrives. 

I got up early this morning and went to See's Candies to get a few special Valentine gifts.  There is a small store here in town, but it's always so crowded during any holiday, that I rarely go there.  However, tomorrow I'm going over to visit my dil's mother, who is bedridden with Polymyalgia, and will take her one of the small heart shaped Valentine boxes.  Also, Shelley and Claire are coming for the weekend, and I bought Claire a Valentine basket, filled with as assortment of different See's candy.  Now I have to go out later and get some cards, and I'll be all set.       

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Mary Ann, the weather across Oklahoma (including Tulsa) has not been good for being out and about.  Cold/wet - then warm/sunny - then back again.  It's a wonder we don't all have pneumonia!!!
Did Tom drive or fly? 

Marilyne,  how lovely to be gifting See's candy.  I had a "touch" of polymyalgia several years ago and remember I could not lift my arm to reach the salt shaker on the table.  Fortunately, that's the only episode of polymyalgia I've had but I still deal with mild fibromyalgia.  Hate it when the fatigue hits; nothing to do but give in and rest until it goes away.

Cold and wet today. Wet is supposed to move out but Cold is not.  I was supposed to go to a funeral and then to a meeting but decided it would be wiser to stay put.

Cox installed a new box for the t.v. because they're "upgrading" Contour (whatever that is) and say many channels will no longer be available in March. Fortunately, installation was free and there isn't supposed to be any change in my monthly rate.  Good thing - because I'm paying them plenty as it is!!!!

Noticed the award winning movie "The Two Popes" is on Netflix.  Off to see if I can bring in on the new box.

Denver

Wednesday morning HELLO.

I came in yesterday morning with news on Michele.....went to post it and the 404 message came on.  Of course I did not copy it like I usually ALWAYS do....so poor it was gone, gone, gone😩😩

I am not going to rewrite it all right now as we are awaiting the official word on how bad the brain scan REALLY is after it is compared to the last one, but the moral of the story is, it is not good news. I know many have her in their daily prayers and on prayer lists......I am just again saying THANK YOU for all of your support and yes, PLEASE keep the prayers coming as they are needed now more than ever🙏🙏🙏

I also want to say thank you for all of the sweet comments about Jonah.  He is one cute little guy and it is wonderful that we get to FaceTime and see little video clips of him nearly daily.  It does help to have this as the positive in our lives to weigh out the sadness that we also have.  The comment was made about The Gerber Baby, and funny enough today there were several things on the internet that said they are searching for a new Gerber Baby.  Of course this grandma thinks he would make a perfect one, except I think he is too old already!  He has great facial expressions and he REALLY like to eat EVERYTHING...... only bad thing is he has hardly ever eaten baby food as his mama makes his food and he eats pretty much the same food they do.  He loves broccoli but has just now started not wanting to eat meat.....  I just wish he were not in CA so we could see and HOLD him more often, but right now he is "boy on the move" so he is no longer into cuddling❣️❣️

MARY ANN, I am sorry to read that Tom is not feeling well.....the cold virus is really going around and it is not easy to get rid of.  I do hope he can feel better fast!

PATRICIA, congratulations on your weight loss.  You have been very dedicated to your diet and it is working well for you. 

MARILYNE, I do hope your eye  appointment went well for you yesterday. 

JACKIE, good to read that your storm seems to be over, so the worse damage should be done to the garden....I do hope there was not too much damage done.  The mess of the redo is bad enough! 

EDIT: Michele did go to chemo this morning and Dave just called and said she is home, and not feeling well at all😩😩😡

I really must go.  I wish you all a good rest of your day. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Mary Ann

Did you know the original Gerber baby was from Fremont MI where Gerber baby foods was made?  I don't recall whether it was a girl or boy and that child is an elder adult now. 

Tom is getting along OK but was going to urgent care.  He very much wants to fly home Friday - and I want him to be back home.  He had hoped to make some meals for Annie but has spent much time in bed or lying down.  I think the plane atmosphere has much to do with his being ill. 

The Rehab keeps me busy and it's been wall-to-wall people today - or wall-to-wall activity.  Jan and her mother came this morning and Dot came this afteroon.  I had a shower earlier in the afterooon.

I am still tired from all of the activity, overeating, and drinking but I am losing the bloatedness I've had.  By the time I go home, I may feel better.

Marilyn, someone gave me a See's chocolate.  I had heard much about them, but I don't remember much about the piece I had. 

If I missed any question, I'm sorry, but I'm tired and I want to lie down.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

I tried to post last night but the site was down.  I had to do some grocery shopping and just now tried to post and everything seems ok.

It is a warm day.  A bit windy but it is a warm wind.

Mary Ann, I'm sure some of that tiredness is probably from the exercise that you are not used to.  One thing for sure—-they wouldn't get me on the treadmill.  I've always had a slight balance problem and treadmills scare me unless I'm the one running the machine.🤒

Having a cold is so miserable.  I hope Tom is taking good care of himself.  Going to Urgent Care sounds like a good idea.  When I'm sick there is no better place to be than home and sleeping in my own bed.

Our son called this morning and he was on the phone with Larry and I for over an hour.  He has MS but is doing pretty good and just wanted to talk a while.  We haven't been up to visit him for over a year.  It is just getting harder for us to travel these days.

Marilyne, I hope your visit goes well.  I have a visit with the ophthalmologist every six months.  My last visit he dilated my eyes so the next visit will be that machine test for peripheral vision.  I take Lumigan at night and Timolol in the morning.

Well, Must go and find a bite to eat.

Mary Ann

Jean, neither of the machines is like a treadmill although I have been on one because Norm had one.  I'd go to his former condo and use it each day.  These machines are like bicycle machines where your feet are on the enlarged pedals and you pedal with your feet while hanging onto handles. 

You're probably right about the exercise I am not used to because I am so tired at the end of the day.  The women who guide me are so patient.

I don't know if I told you about the peanut butter sandwich episode of yesterda.  We had another; maybe episode is too strong a word.  Anyway, supper tonight was ravioli; I could not figure out what it was although one of the pieces was round and filled.  It was absolutely tasteless!  Most of their foods have been good, so this was an exception.  One of the women suggested a peanue butter sandwich to which I agreed and I told her I wanted mayo, not jam.  They had not heard of using mayo (they're all younger - in their 50s and below) so I told them when I was young PB not homogenized and it stuck to the roof of our mouths.  Somone suggested to my mother that she use mayo and it worked.  Norm and I were brought up on PB and mayo sandwiches and I've heard others since say they like it.  Sotwo women started out to find the ingredients in the kitchens here.  They could not find any PB.  Mayo, yes, no PB.  One woman finally went to the bakery and was able to find some and made me a sandwich.  From the suggestion to getting the actual sandwich probably took a half hour plus.  I only wanted a half sandwich so I am hoarding the other half to eat later tonight.

Nothing new tonight.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I'm another Peanut Butter and Mayo, sandwich fan!  There aren't many of us out there anymore?  I remember years ago, we had a discussion here in S&F about what we liked best with peanut butter, and there were others besides us.  I think Mary Page, was one. I remember her comment, because she said it had to be Miracle Whip, NOT plain mayo!  After reading that I always wanted to try Miracle Whip, but never did. 
Speaking of the Gerber Baby:  I looked it up on Google, and found out that the original Gerber baby is still living, and is just a little younger than you, at age 93.  Here is a link, so you can see a picture of what she looks like now. https://go.tiffinohio.net/2019/11/original-gerber-baby-ann-turner-cook-turns-93/

Jean - Sounds like you had a nice long conversation with your son. Too bad he doesn't live closer, so you could see him more often.  Sounds like we have similar issues with our eyes.  I also have glaucoma, and I take the Timolol drops every morning.   I don't take the other one that you mentioned.  I think we're on the same schedule.  Next time I also have to sit at that machine that tests for peripheral vision - the one where the little white lights flash on different parts of the screen.

Callie - Polymyalgia is an extremely painful illness.  My dil's mom can't even walk to the bathroom, or take a shower without help. Her doctor put her on a stronger pain killer on Monday, so she is hoping to get some relief soon.  Apparently, it's one of those illnesses that cam go into a recession, so that's what they're hoping for.
I watched, The Two Popes, and thought it was excellent. Lots of dialogue between two great actors.  My favorite scenes in the movie were the ones in the Systine Chapel.  What an awesome sight . . . just spectacular!

Jenny - It's so sad to read the bad news about Michele, and learn that after all of her radiation and chemo and gamma knife treatments, that the evil and relentless cancer is still there.  It's such a puzzle, as to why some cancers respond favorably to treatment, and others don't.  Some day there will be a complete cure, but unfortunately it won't happen in our lifetime.  I will continue to pray for Michele, and hope for a miracle.