October 21, 2019, 06:19:16 am

News:

WELCOME HOME TO S&F!!
We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

collapse

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Random Image

I Couldn't Hide

Views: 518
By: Shirley

Shoutbox

• so_P_bubble: Good luck in your search, maybe you will be lucky and even get a better bargain than last!
    Today at 04:12:06 am
  • Amy: Oldiesman Hope you found a car today..
    October 19, 2019, 03:22:27 pm
  • Oldiesmann: I guess on Saturday I'll go out and get my stuff out of the car, but I'm now back to searching for a car
    October 16, 2019, 10:04:54 pm
  • Oldiesmann: Heard from them this afternoon. The cost of repairs ended up being far more than they originally estimated and about $1200 more than what they say the car is worth (which is a little more than what I paid for it), so they're going to total it.
    October 16, 2019, 10:04:30 pm
  • so_P_bubble: Fingers crossed! I hope the final cost for repair will be lower than previously estimated!
    October 16, 2019, 01:17:17 pm
  • Oldiesmann: It was towed to the local body shop on Friday so I should know more this week about whether they want to repair it
    October 14, 2019, 12:50:22 am
  • Oldiesmann: I believe he meant "borderline" in terms of cost of repairs vs how much they think the car is actually worth
    October 14, 2019, 12:50:00 am
  • so_P_bubble: the yearly licence. Big loss. and I cannot do without a car.
    October 12, 2019, 04:59:02 am
  • so_P_bubble: Michael, that does not sound good, especially for your own security. Maybe you could sell as spare parts and find another bargain? A few months ago mine was stolen during the night and the security cams showed it fleeing toward the Palestinian territories - gone forever. I had just paid the yearly l
    October 12, 2019, 04:57:34 am
  • Oldiesmann: Bubble, the insurance company is having it taken to a local body shop to further inspect it. The appraiser did say it was "borderline" repairable though, despite otherwise being in good condition and having low miles (less than 76,000)
    October 07, 2019, 09:28:19 pm
  • brian: when  I   klik   FORUM  I just  get   soapbox
    October 07, 2019, 02:36:34 pm
  • brian: nobody   said    a  long   while--------------    never   answered  my  question
    October 07, 2019, 02:35:14 pm
  • so_P_bubble: Michael, so sorry about your accident. That was really bad luck but we are all glad that you didn't suffer any personal injury.  I hope you found a good repairman/garage to make it safe for driving again.
    October 07, 2019, 12:18:46 pm
  • so_P_bubble: Brian, what is your problem with how long it has been? There won't be a chat here for a very long while.  If you want to chat, please find some other place more compatible to your needs.  Most of our members much prefer the forum discussions which are perfect for our different time zones.
    October 07, 2019, 12:14:43 pm
  • brian: pooch    mind  yer own  business 
    October 07, 2019, 11:06:57 am
  • Pooch1: Why anyone would want to chat with you, brian, is beyond me.  Put a sock in it.
    October 06, 2019, 05:38:49 pm
  • brian: there   was no answer to the  question " how  long  has it been"?
    October 02, 2019, 11:11:47 am
  • Oldiesmann: brian: The answer about the chat isn't going to change anytime soon.
    October 01, 2019, 08:56:06 pm
  • brian: predictably    no answer to MY post  LOL!!! Still    sorry  bout  accident
    October 01, 2019, 01:18:18 pm
  • Amy: Glad you are ok...this may be a pain to fix but at least you are ok.
    September 30, 2019, 02:44:05 pm

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

Always great to Beat Texas!

Mary Ann. My PBS station no longer shows Rick Steves in prime time. Will need to look at daytime schedule.

Neither my elementary nor my Jr/Sr high school are standing.  Town built a school complex with big athletic fields. Great improvement but I wish they could have found uses for other buildings.

Guess I'd better tend to laundry now that football is done.

CUL8R

Mary Ann

Callie, our PBS station has some offshoots and when I find Rick Steves, it is purely by accident.  I do think he is on Saturdays at various time. 

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Saturday HELLO💕

SHAME ON ME......I have been in here several times, starting to post then get interrupted and by the time I get back my post is gone! 

We are enjoying a warmer day after our snowstorm and a drop in temperatures 60+ degrees during the storm!  Crazy Colorado weather🤪

PATRICIA, the Halloween video you shared sure is a detailed one.....I watched it a couple of time and could not believe all that was going on.  Thank you for sharing this! 

JACKIE, I have been thinking about you and certainly hope you get to the crematorium memorial service safely tomorrow.  I know it will be a very emotional time for you but I hope and pray it will give you some peace as well.  I know the time has not passed quickly for you as you have struggled with every single day, but I can not believe it has already been a half of a year since Richard passed🦋.

MARILYNE, our Matt is a very confident young man, and I do think it shows! 😘  No, Matt is not the quarterback, but he should be due to his size❣️  He is a defensive tackle.....but he did get quite a few hits this year.  As you know, I was rather worried about him playing tackle football.....I, and his mama, would prefer he stick with his tennis as he is a very good player and there is pretty much no risk of major injuries!  😩❣️

I am sorry that I have not commented to everyone that said something to me.  I am going to do my best to not get this behind again.

Enjoy your day,

Jenny

FlaJean

We had a beautiful day.  The days are getting cooler.

I've never lived in a place that put up so many decorations for Halloween.  One of our neighbors has a huge monster tall as the house.  People here also go in for a lot of Christmas decorations.  My daughter did some cute things in her yard.  We never had trick or treaters in Ocala.  The first couple of years we were here we handed out candy but last year we just put a big bowl of candy out with a sign saying Please Take Two and I think that is what we will do this year.

Mary Ann, my coconut cream pie was good.  I had trouble sleeping last night also.  I'm sitting here now yawning 8:45 pm, but don't want to go to bed yet.

Marilyne, the Grade schools I attended were torn down and replaced.  They kept the same names even 'tho they weren't even rebuilt in the same areas.  The news showed a pretty bad fire on the news last night, but I don't think it was near your location.  I just hope we can get thru this month and next without a hurricane.

Jackie, I hope tomorrow will bring you some comfort and not too much sadness.
Click for Niceville, Florida Forecast

MarsGal

Good morning everyone. Catching up on a few day or two old posts....

Patricia
, I loved the Halloween post. It seems more and more folks around here are spending big bucks on decorating for Halloween. My next door neighbor is one of them. Every year she adds something new. This year there are a few new inflatables including a big stripped snake on the porch roof. Her main love is zombies, so her yard is crowded with them in a graveyard, The corner this year is a grouping of ghosts waiting for blood donations.

Marilyne, I haven't heard of any Columbus removals here. Funny that Californians should be all bent out of shape about celebrating him since he never made it, to my knowledge, to that area. He did get to parts of Central and South America, and of course, the Caribbean Islands. Were those peoples considered American Indians? You were wondering about how we know these things? Aside from his logs, there are also surviving letters, journals, and official documents. The Spanish government did look into accusations about him and his brothers which resulted in Columbus losing his position as governor of Hispaniola. I agree that people are going over the top with reaching so far back in time to score politically correct points and devalue the accomplishments of those way in the past.Did you know that the descendants of Columbus moved the Columbus family chapel from Spain to Boalsburg (near State College), PA in 1909? There is a museum there with a number of Columbus relics, too. Now, there is a story I'd like to know more about. I've never stopped in there. I'd love to know more about why the family moved from Spain to Pennsylvania and why they chose Boalsburg of all places. Oh, and Boalsburg is concidered the birth place of Memorial Day too. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52224-d2204421-Reviews-Columbus_Chapel_and_Boal_Mansion_Museum-Boalsburg_Pennsylvania.html

Mary Ann

October 13, 2019, 01:02:31 pm #15365 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:05:11 pm by Mary Ann
MarsGal, it 's funny about Halloween.  I never have done any Halloween decorating, however, I did have (maybe still have) some Pilgrim candles that I put out for Fall.  Also an old brown pitcher with some fall foliage in it that I used to put out.  Since I don't go down stairs now, I have no idea what I have, but I don't go big for Fall decorating; I'm lucky if I can keep what nicknacks I have without someone moving them. 

Jean, I hope it wasn't the coconut cream pie that kept you awake!  Today Dot and I shared a cream pie that had chocolate sprinkles on top, but not inside it.  No matter what kind of cream pie we have, we always like it.  Of course, we had the Tuna Melt.  I think it is a bit different each week, but it is always good.

While I've heard the controversy about Columbus and Columbus Day, I don't recall any recalls of Columbus.  And the PO still does not deliver on Columbus Day. 

Jenny, I hope your snow is gone and it sounds like you have been warming up a bit.  We were at 46 degrees this morning, a little on the cool side but I did not wear a coat over my sweater.  We are to be in the 50s all week.  I'm not ready for snow and I'd like it to be dry for another month when we will go to Portland MI to meet the new baby to be born tomorrow.

Tomorrow, Monday, October 14, Paula will have a C-Section for the birth of their second baby, a boy.  He will be about a month old when several family members will meet at Portland to celebrate his birth and to wish Paula a happy 35th birthday.  Paula is the oldest of Norm's grandchildren. 

There still are a lot of whitecaps on Lake Michigan.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I'm going to just say a quick Hello, and then return later.  We didn't lose our power during the recent fire-prevention blackout. However, our surrounding mountain/hillside areas did, and now are being returned to full power.  This has caused lots of quick power failures here - 5 to 20 minutes. Nothing we can't deal with for the next few hours, but its raising havoc with the computers.  Best to turn them off now, and wait for this to be over.

angelface555

October 13, 2019, 01:22:49 pm #15367 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:26:10 pm by angelface555
Good morning from the Interior! It has been a while since we've had any more snow, and even the foothills have no snow at this time. Perhaps we're back waiting that first Halloween snow?

I've never decorated for any holidays other than a tree for Christmas. My mother and younger sister always went all in for every holiday. My older sister didn't celebrate any, including family birthdays. I celebrated my daughter's birthday with two parties, one for her friends and one for family. Primarily because she was born two weeks before Christmas, and many sent one gift titled happy birthday and merry Christmas. I was employed in retail when the Christmas season started at the end of August and culminated in January's extensive inventories. So, I was already tired of the holiday.

it sounds like Paula is going to have a delighted birthday this year, and I wish them both a happy one!

MarsGal I agree, oral histories, letters, journals, and other information contradicts what has been known as history. About Columbus, he was only one of several who encountered a land long settled. His main contribution was opening up the continent to trade, settlement, the decimation of aboriginal inhabitants, and in a period where historical changes in religion and the invention of the printing press coincided.

What we learned in history is not always accurate, and what we need to take from that is to learn from our mistakes, or we are doomed to repeat them.
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. -Desmond Tutu, clergyman (b. 7 Oct 1931)

Mary Ann

October 13, 2019, 02:03:07 pm #15368 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:05:04 pm by Mary Ann
Patricia, I used to decorate for Christmas, complete with a tree.  Even in this small condo, I had a tree, artificial, but it looked nice with lights and ornaments.  It got so there were no children who came to visit and I was the only one enjoying the tree.  This was before Tom came to live with me.  I have a few things I put out now, but nothing elaborate, except for my Father Christmases and Mary, Joseph and the baby. 

Patricia, I'm glad for your sake that you haven't had more snow because I think it is easier for you to get around without it.  It's nice to look at from inside, but a horror to get around in, especially if you don't drive.

Patricia, Paula is the one who went to the doctor for something else and found she was four or five months pregnant.  She had a rough time with her daughter and decided that was it!  Little did she know.  I understand this pregnancy has gone better.  We will have another birth in November, in California. 

Hi Marilyn, I hope this catches you with one of your "power on" segments!  Ha!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

October 13, 2019, 02:07:56 pm #15369 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:10:56 pm by FlaJean
Marilyne, Smart idea about unplugging all your appliances because when the power is suddenly turned on the voltage surge can damage them.  Larry use to work in electronics so we have also done that.  Best not to take chances.

Mary Ann, I don't think the cream pie kept me awake.  It was reading some political stuff that bothered me.

Another pretty day, but we could sure use the rain.  It is supposed rain next week.  We will see.  A couple of nights ago we had a strange thing happen.  I put soap on my hands and turned on the faucet and there was no water---not a drop.  I went into the kitchen and no water.  Here I was with a handful of sticky soap and no water.  We have an outdoor pump for watering the yard so Larry got me some water so I could wash my hands.  He walked over to the neighbor's and he said he had seen a whole bunch of trucks a couple of blocks away but didn't know what was going on.  No one in our area had water.  No car accidents, etc., as far as we knew. We never did find out what happened but it was fixed a couple of hours later.

I read about a terrible typhoon in Tokyo and thought about Sato and asked him if he was OK.  He sent me a message (also a beautiful video of fall roses) and said he was OK.  They didn't receive any damage.

Tomorrow is Canada's Thanksgiving, but my daughter said many Canadians celebrate it over the long weekend.  They celebrated yesterday but were having chicken.  To me Thanksgiving means turkey and dressing.  That and possibly Christmas are the only times we have turkey.  I don't know why as we all enjoy it.

Well, will close for now and hope everyone is doing well.

Mary Ann

Jean, I worked with appliances most of my working life and my entire working time was with an electric utility and it never occurs to me to unplug anything electric.  I will say I don't have anything in a working position during an outage.  We have underground wiring here, so rarely do have an outage but if we do, it's because of downed wire in other locations. 

We've had kind of a rainy day.  It was not raining when I left for church so I did not put on a coat over my sweater.  When we came out of church, we could see it had rained a bit but when we came out of the Cholesterol Pit, all was dry.  I've been home ever since so I don't know what's been going on.  I will say our temperature has not been over 50 degrees today.  Damp chill.

Jean, your trouble with no water reminded me of when I went to take a shower and had no hot water.  I did not shower that day.  At least I was not all soaped up.  I'm glad you contacted Sato about their typhoon so we know he is OK.  I did think of him, but I did not think of contacting him.  I think he has said he does not live near Tokyo.

When I was a kid, our Christmas dinner always consisted of stuffed chicken.  Turkey was not that "big" then, but there were only four of us and we had no relatives near so a chicken was enough.  I think I had my first turkey the year my mother died and neighbors invited Dad, Norm and me to have T-Day dinner with them.  There were six in their family so with three more, a turkey made sense.  They probably had it every T-Day anyway, I don't know.  After Norm married the first time, we always got together with his wife's family and there were five of them, but other relatives were included.  It was turkey for T-Day after that, but we might have anything for Christmas.  Easter was always ham.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it is supposed to be a family day, but commercials are turning it into the circuses other holidays have now.  This is when I like the "old" days!

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Patricia, I used to work with a fellow who would seek out first person account histories, etc. He figured that was the closest to the real history. I got to thinking about that, and decided that it probably wasn't anymore accurate than a lot of current event books out today. The writer would have personal biases, may have remembered prior personal events not quite accurately or slant the event to put himself in a good light. And, of course, there were the political tracts that denigrated opponents while playing up their faction's good points (ignoring bad points). Even people reporting the same event slant or can't agree on what exactly happened.

Must have been really big to light up the area like a flash bulb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gQkVqpgIo

Marilyne

Jean - That is really weird about your water suddenly going out. Something similar happened here during the summer - I turned on the kitchen tap, and the water came out a cloudy brown color. Checked all other faucets and they were all bad.  We called the Water Company, and a recorded message came on, telling us not to worry, that the water would be back to normal soon, but in the meantime, the brown water was safe to drink! (Maybe so, but . . . not happening here! ha ha) After a couple of hours, the water was fine, and there was never an explanation given as to what caused it.  We also eat Turkey, only at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I love it, and would prepare a turkey at other times during the year, but you cannot buy them here at any other time.  You can special order them from butcher shops or poultry shops, but I've never done it.  Not many stand alone meat markets or small grocery stores around anymore.

MarsGal - There are so many PC controversies going on in California, at this time, that I'm getting them mixed up!  The beautiful mural in the San Francisco High school, is the George Washington Controversy!  I'll get into that one at another time, if anyone is interested.

The Columbus Controversy, does not involve a mural, but involves many statues throughout CA in Parks and  buildings.  The Italian community is huge here . . .  descendants of Italian immigrants, who started coming here toward the end of the 19th century, and developed this area. They are responsible for the fruit orchards and subsequent canneries here in San Jose area, the vineyards and wineries in the North Bay, and banking and finance in San Francisco. (A.P Gianini) 

Anyway, Columbus is big with the Italian Community, and there are schools, parks, and always big parades on Columbus Day, in all the major cities here.  The San Jose City Hall, had a large statue of him in the lobby. Which was removed last year, after people demanded that it be taken down!  It was vandalized a number of times, and finally saved by the Italian American Heritage Society, and moved to their facility in San Jose.  The protests were mainly focused on the idea that the indigenous people, American Indians, and Indians from Mexico and South America, are the ones who "discovered" America, not CC.  Therefore, the day has now been changed to Indigenous People's Day.   
Here is a newspaper article about the moving of the statue in SJ.
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/1/31/16956286/san-jose-columbus-city-hall

My take on it, is that European people were different back in 1492, when the various explorers started coming to the new land to settle it, and set the stage for settlements, communities and eventually cities and hundreds of years of progress.  Columbus might have been an arrogant jerk, but most wealthy men and lots of others with authority, were, back in that time of history.  How do we really know what actually happened, and what these explorers and settlers, as well as the indigenous people, were really like back then?  It was over 500 years ago!

Anyway, I've once again, written a "book", so I'd better cut it short and get ready for a trip to the grocery store.  AJ is going to a San Jose Sharks hockey game tonight, with Brad.  This will include the two of them having a meal near there, before the game starts.  That means I will have dinner by myself, so I'll pick out some interesting items to eat, that I usually don't get.

Mary Ann

October 13, 2019, 05:20:52 pm #15373 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:23:14 pm by Mary Ann
MarsGal, Norm and I would laugh when we'd both remember the same occasion differently.  And we would probably have been standing or sitting close to each other.  Toward the end of his life, Norm's memory of things past was quite good, not always as I remembered it, but ask him what he had for lunch that day - oh, did I have lunch?

As I've said before, I wish people would leave history alone.  Things happened and it may not be the way we'd do it now (even today some things are not PC), but it was OK for the times.  I've heard there are people that do not believe WW I and/or WW II did not happen.  Just because they were not there does not mean it didn't happen.  I saw a headline today (but did not read the article) that some people think certain people did not exist - Cleopatra was one. 

Marilyn, I'm eating alone too so pick out something good at the store and I'll enjoy it too - via online!  I'll see what is in the freezer but last night I had an old favorite - a peanut butter sandwich; I like mine with mayo, not jelly or jam. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

October 13, 2019, 05:43:13 pm #15374 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:44:59 pm by angelface555
A dissenting opinion.

MaryAnn, Marilyne, and MarsGal, I agree that any account either verbal or written will have an inherent bias. However, when a multitude of accounts from across the board, both written and eyewitness differ completely from the official accounts, it bears investigation. A good example is the Battle of the Little Big Horn. The official account is totally different from eyewitness accounts from various forts, accounts by the cavalry's Crow Indian scouts, cavalry survivors and from surviving Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho. The archeologist accounts and those who treated the remains, debris, and terrain as a crime scene also totally differs from the prevailing account.

If we close our eyes and accept the status quo, we cannot, grow, change or advance as a people. We will remain in an endless cycle.

Archaeological Perspectives on the Battle of the Little Bighorn
by Douglas D. Scott, Richard A. Fox, Melissa A. Connor, Dick Harmon

"Ever since the Custer massacres on June 25, 1876, the question has been asked: What happened - what REALLY happened - at the Battle of the Little Bighorn? We know some of the answers because half of George Armstrong Custer's Seventh Cavalry - the men with Major Marcus Reno and Captain Frederick Benteen - survived the fight, but what of the half that did not, the troopers, civilians, scouts, and journalist who were with Custer?

Now, because a grass fire in August 1983 cleared the terrain of brush and grass and made possible thorough archaeological examinations of the battlefield in 1984 and 1985, we have many answers to important questions.

On the basis of the archaeological evidence presented in this book, we know more about what kinds of weapons were used against the cavalry. We know exactly where many of the men fought, how they died, and what happened to their bodies at the time of or after death. We know how the troopers were deployed, what kind of clothing they wore, what kind of equipment they had, how they fought. Through the techniques of historical archaeology and forensic anthropology, the remains and grave of one of Custer's scouts, Mitch Boyer, have been identified. And through geomorphology and the process of elimination, we know with almost 100 percent certainty where the twenty-eight missing men who supposedly were buried en masse in Deep Ravine will be found.

http://astonisher.com/archives/museum/picto2.html

https://thedebrisfield.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/the-battle-of-little-bighorn/

https://app.mt.gov/Shop/mhsstore/uncovering-history-archaeological-investigations-at-the-little-bighorn-4

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-the-battle-of-little-bighorn-was-won-63880188/
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. -Desmond Tutu, clergyman (b. 7 Oct 1931)

Mary Ann

Patricia, what you say is true, but from what I've read about people disagreeing with some of history is from people who are no more knowledgeable than I am and who want to do away with history simply because it does not fit in with today's standards. 

I do not want to be drawn into any deep discussion about this because I have not done the reading and research that Patricia has. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - I don't think either MarsGal or I were talking about anything as recent in history, as The Battle of the Little Bighorn, which happened in the middle of the Nineteenth Century!  I was talking about what would be ancient history, regarding the USA.  What true accounts do we have from anyone - white Europeans or indigenous people - as to what really happened in 1492?   Stories have come down through the ages about Columbus and Queen Isabella, etc., and then his landings in what I think was Central America?  People have speculated on what might have happened, but nobody really knows. After CC, other white explorers landed further North, eventually leading to the Pilgrims and Plymouth Rock.  I'm sure you have noticed that Thanksgivingis now on the endangered list!  Yes, there is a movement afoot, to eliminate Thanksgiving as a National Holiday, because it is said that the Pilgrims were in fact mean and ruthless to the native Americans, and treated them poorly, killed them, etc. The thing I wonder, is where did these new revelations come from?  I haven't read enough about it yet, to get the full story?   

Denver

A good Sunday evening  HELLO.

We have just finished watching the Bronco Game 🏈🏈.

A friend sent this to me this morning and I sure enjoyed it....
I hope you all will to

http://wallythekat.tripod.com/A_Pages/AA-Videos-YOU-Tube/NFL.html

Enjoy your day❣️

Jenny

MarsGal

Brings tears to my eyes. Thanks Jenny!

Good point, Patricia, where there is archeological evidence to be found. So much of ancient history, though, is still buried or completely lost to us except for a few surviving eye-witness accounts. Then there are ancient texts that have been stored away and forgotten or ignored. There are texts that still remain remain untranslated, and of course, texts that were mistranslated or misunderstood. Some histories were in oral tradition and not written down until centuries later. So, I wonder if we should consider history as a dynamic, fluid thing rather than something static. What I worry about is how many of these histories we read are biased by the author's world view (some are obvious, others are not). I am betting almost all of them. It is so very hard to be entirely unbiased; some of them can be so subtle.

angelface555

I love history, I have two degrees. One in European History and one in Mankind and the Transition to City-States from the early seventies. So, of course, I'm biased, and I recognize that everything written, spoken, or thought is full of bias. How can it not as we 're shaped by our perceptions, filtered through our convictions?

The thing about history is yes, its fluid, and it changes as we learn more. There are always oral histories, written accounts(some just now being translated!), good and bad translations, and what some love to propagandize. You look for accounts' similarities that can be proven or unproven. Not all will pass a further rigorous inspection. It is like any science.

The stuff said about Columbus isn't a new revision; it's simply finally been listened to and investigated, and yes, there are written accounts even if they're not from a European language. Columbus was a man of his time and with his own ambition and beliefs.  I'll leave it at that.
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

Marilyne

October 14, 2019, 12:21:31 pm #15380 Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:23:23 pm by Marilyne
Jenny - The video you posted really makes us realize how quickly opinions and actions have changed in this country.  Super Bowl #39, was in Feb., 2005.  That will only be fifteen years in 2020, and it seems like a whole different world now. Thank you for posting, and making me think about then, as compared to now.  It will be on my mind, trying to put together the many different reasons for the radical change.

I as going to relax with a movie last night, while AJ was at the Sharks game with Brad . . . but decided to watch the game instead, and was glad that I did.  Sharks won - 3 to 1!!  They've had a slow start this year, so we're hoping the "tide has been turned"?  Also, I like to watch hockey on the nights that AJ goes, in hopes of spotting him when the camera pans all the fans in the arena.  So far, I haven't seen either he or Brad, or any other friends that I know are there.

Hope you all have a nice day today.  The weather will be bland and mild here, with no wind, which means no fire danger!  Yay!

Hi Patricia - Looks like we were posting at the same time!     

FlaJean

Another nice day here in Northwest Florida.  Our temperatures have cooled some and are so pleasant.

Columbus Day was one of my paid holidays back in my working days so I always looked forward to it for that reason.  My opinion is to keep to the true facts of our past as much as possible.  I worry about the present and what it means for my children and grandchildren and their futures.

Patricia, that is really interesting about what has been discovered regarding the battle.  I have to admit that often when we learn new facts about the past it can affect our feelings in the present.

Has anyone heard from Jackie?  I wonder how her day went yesterday.  I hope she wasn't disappointed.

Well, I need to get busy.  Hope all of you have a good day.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the
cool,  sunny and very pleasant,
rocky coast of Maine.   

Nice Fall Day !

I will be getting my right eye
operated on on November 12 th
to have the cateract removed.     

I am pleased that they do not have
to do both eyes because I can not see
out of my left eye.    They are not making
me stop my blood thinner...   (HOORAY)

So I am very pleased but still normally
nervous about having this surgery done. 

I am looking forward to seeing better out
of my right eye.

And hoping for the best all around
on "operation day" !

Otherwise,  All is well here.
Sandy
 8)

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching.
  Duluth Harbor Cams:

Mary Ann

Sandy, I know each case is a bit different, but Norm and I both had cataract surgery at the same time and all went well.  I hope yours goes as well.  We had both eyes done, but not both at the same time. 

Marilyn, I just saw the Weather Channel report that you will be having rain for a few days, so that should quiet the fire threat for a few hours!

We are enjoying a nice, cool day - 50 degrees at 1:25 pm.  I can handle that. 

Kendrick is sleeping near me; he doesn't wander much, even in the house.

I don't get into the truth or non-truth of history.  I read about the challenges, but I'm not historian oriented enough to try to delve into it.  What I get from some of the protests are that many people are trying to apply today's standards to yesterday's history without knowing any of the background.  I will stay out of the discussion, if no one minds.  However, I will read whatever others write.

Jean, we had to work on Columbus Day, but we had a lot of Federal holidays off. 

Mary Ann

Denver

October 14, 2019, 04:33:00 pm #15384 Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:47:37 pm by Denver

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY....🇺🇸🇺🇸  I know this is a touchy subject, but for now, this is what we call it❣️

I, too, hoped we would have a post from you, JACKIE, telling us about your memorial service.  I do hope it went well and you were at peace with it.

PATRICIA, I did not realize you had two degrees in history.  I understand what you wrote and agree.  I have a bit, not really a bit, rather BIG issue with trying to destroy HISTORY though.  We must learn from our mistakes, but wiping them out, i.e. statues, does not change what happened!  Also, it seems many of our forefathers we not what we thought they were, nor was/is our government, but we just have to move on and try to make things better in the future!  IMHO

I appreciate all the nice comments on the video.  I see many of you had the same "boost of spirits" as I did.  I just do not understand why there are so many these days that just seem to show no patriotism at all, infact they are extremely  UNpatriotic 😢

MARILYNE, glad you enjoyed watching the game last night.  There is no hockey game watching here.   There is a big dispute with the TV channels going on here, so none of our games are televised.  There are a lot of very unhappy people here🤬. I saw that LSU won!  😘

Trying to get packed for our trip tomorrow......I tell you, I am getting slower and slower every day. 

Enjoy the rest of your Columbus Day 🇺🇸

Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

October 15, 2019, 01:23:44 am #15385 Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:11:02 am by Vanilla-Jackie
Everyone who was asking after me, re, the annual memorial -crematorium remembrance service Sunday...

Yes it was a lovely service of remembrance for our loved ones...we were invited up to light a small candle which with help is what i did...Our service topic was " dreams " and the vicar's reading gave us a glimpse of our beloved's New Heaven and New Earth that our God has provided for us - for our loved ones which gave some peace, hope and comfort...Although my reality still sets in every morning that i wake and get out of bed that all i want is my Richard back, i feel so lonely and frightened by myself and coping with my MS alone does not make my life any more bearable...No my loss of Richard is not giving me full closure, although the day will come when Richard will know i am not needing him so much and i am ready to let him Rest In Peace without having to worry over me...I know he wont be in peace while he knows i am not in peace...

Revelation 21 New International Version (NIV)
A New Heaven and a New Earth

21 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

" bloom where you are planted "
~ Francis de Sales (1567-1622), the Bishop of Geneva

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  I hope everyone looking in is "up and at 'em" this morning and facing a good day.  Take care and keep us posted.

Sue

Marilyne

JACKIE - I'm glad that the memorial service was calming and inspirational for you.  Were there lots of other people there, who were also mourning their loved ones, or was it just a small gathering?  It must be helpful for you, to be around others, who are feeling the same pain the you're feeling. I hope that as result of the service, that you'll begin to feel stronger, and that each day will be easier for you to endure.

FlaJean

Jackie, I was thinking of you and praying you would find some peace in the service on Sunday.  I'm glad you were able to go and participate.

It rained yesterday evening and last night.  So glad to see some rain after several dry weeks.  It is getting cooler and there is a slight feeling of fall in the air.

Trying to get a few things done around the house---washing clothes, dusting...  would like to drop by the library later and see what new books, if any, are on the New Book shelf.  There is one new book especially I want to read and if the library doesn't get it, I will probably buy it for my iPad.

Sandy,  i was so glad to have my cataract operations over and be able to see so much better.  You'll see a big difference, I'm sure.  It's good news that you can continue on with your blood thinner.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Sandy

Thank you for your good wishes
for my cataract surgery.  I am not going to
worry about this and I also will be glad when
it is over and that I do not have to go
off my blood thinners.   Plus only one eye is
scheduled to be done.   Hopefully the other one, which I can not see out of,  will never have to be
done in the futuer. 

Slowly but surely I am getting my body
fixed up ...  with hopes that I have no more
issues in the near future.. 

Fingers crossed ..

Have a good day,  Everyone.
Sandy   

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching.
  Duluth Harbor Cams: