Random Image

poinsettia

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/camera-status.html

New Duluth Harbor Cams:  (Click above)
Where you can see the whole harbor, now.. 
Gives a new prospective on the area...

Sandy
:coolsmiley:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior and Farrah and me.

Farrah has taken to either curling up next to me on the sofa or behind me on the couch back where she can play with my hair or swat me upside the head if I suddenly move.She also enjoys getting in and out of tight places and guarding the balcony doors against all comers from the tabletop.I am betting with myself if she makes it to my lap or not. Or will that leave her defenseless in her eyes? 

Yesterday was not a good day.First, Maryann, the woman who begged me to take her on the bus and then left me. And later, insisted she had waited forever for me as well. Who, when asked about the store paging her on my behalf, three separate times, that she had been in and out of the bathroom.

She suddenly rushed me on the bus when I was talking with a friend across the aisle, to ask me if I was still upset with her. Not only was she interrupting me mid-speech to a friend but her breath and manner was offensive.

I wish I had dismissed her but I was too polite, and she joined in with our conversation the rest of the bus ride. Then later at an acquaintance's home for lunch with the friend from the bus, we were served apple slices.I asked if she, the hostess, had washed the fruit.She gave me a look and said she always washes the fruit first. I apologized and told her I was allergic. She said not to worry.

Later, I began to feel uneasy and called a taxi. The hostess was giving me dirty looks, and when I got home, I was very ill throughout the night. I talked to my friend when she called about it, today and she said the hostess mentioned that she disliked people who affected certain behaviors. I replied, miffed, what would she have done if I sued.

I wouldn't have; I was just speaking in anger. However, I was shocked to hear "my friend," say back, but what would you say to a lawyer?! When I said What?!? She replied defensively that it was an odd allergy.

So does everyone think I'm lying for some strange reason or rationale? I am still upset!

Kelly has a hand disability and may have been hospitalized or in a nursing home without computer access. I know that Sandy and I have checked IOM's death notices, and some have his phone number but hesitate to call. Many have emailed. I think someone should call.

Sometimes it's harder to post in more than one area, and many of us post in both places. Others that used to post in SeniorNet or S&F only post on Facebook now.

angelface555

Thank you,  Sandy!  It gives you a different perspective when they switch from cam to cam! I think MaryPage would enjoy watching the "Abbey Road, Denis Sullivan, US Brig Niagara, Pride of Baltimore II depart Duluth 08/22/16."

I'm sorry to have come across so negative in my earlier post. But when an allergy to chemicals sends you to the Emergency room at times with a 4000. pricetag or more often to spending hours in the bathroom, you tend to pay attention, even with so called friends thinking you're making stuff up, just excuse my  whining.

JeanneP

I tried that new web site but didn't care for all the little things it was showing. Maybe I don't know the right way of moving things around. Will just keep on old one on for now.

With Kelly, I don't think there is anything wrong other than he wasn't getting the attention he wanted from everyone. After all he posts what. 3000 post in 2 months. We all do less in years. Think he was thinking that when he asked or said something that everyone supposed to answer. Saying Goodnight. Goodmorning does not mean we all reply. That is not what these kind of Forums work like.
Also we have had many people drop out without knowing the reason.  They just find different ways of communicating. Some of us even got E-M from him wanted to do it this way. Again we do that with very few people that we talk to daily in a Forum.
I don't think his medical was anything that would have him going into hospital for. Let just hope he is being kept busy doing other things. If he feels like coming back he will
JeanneP

MarsGal

Angelface, I know what you mean about washing fruit. My Mom was allergic to sulfa drugs. Okay, so what have sulfa drugs have to do with fruit you may ask? Well, I don't know about now, but some time back they often used sulfur in mold inhibitors on fruit to keep them from rotting before they get picked or get to market. Mom's face blew up like a balloon one day after eating a peach just like her sulfa drug allergy. She never at another peach. Come to think of it, I remember buying a pack of lima bean seeds one year that were coated with pink powdery stuff and a warning not to eat the seeds as they were coated to prevent mold. That is the only time I ever saw that in seeds for planting.

MaryPage

I have to confess that I was in my thirties before I began to take allergies seriously.  My next door neighbor's sister took her sick 5 year old daughter to the doctor and he gave her a penicillion shot and she promptly died right there in his office in her mother's arms.  Laurel, was her name.  They called her Laurie.
Not being medical in either nature or training, that was a real eye opener for me.  Up until then, I had thought the allergy stuff was all in people's heads.  Later, some of my children began to show up with allergies.  Still later, in my old age, I have begun to have dozens of them myself!
As far as fruit is concerned, I read ages ago that any poisons, pesticides, etc. that it may get sprayed or treated with tend to concentrate in the skin, and that everyone would be best off if they stopped eating skins.  So I peel my apples, peaches, and so on.  I boil a saucepan of water and dunk my tomatoes in for just a minute in order to make it easier to peel them.
But I am in complete sympathy with you, Patricia, about your allergies.  You'll figure something out in case you incur a similar situation in future.  As for The Pride, which is what we here in Chesapeake Country call The Pride of Baltimore, we are unseemingly proud of her!  She often comes here to Annapolis, and she is always part of any parade of Tall Ships that go up and down the bay.  I'm glad to hear she is sharing her great beauty elsewhere this summer.
As for the nut case, I would just tell her that YES!  You were and are annoyed.  End of story.  That should get her off YOUR back, and make her think twice before she treats anyone else so inconsiderately.

JeanneP

MarsGal.  that is so true. I have to be careful around Sulfa, Penicillin. Codeine and a   few other things.  I know that foods coming in from Mexico. Veg. Fruit Etc is sprayed heavy. I just watch where things come from. Even what they wash the  trucks in can get to me. 
JeanneP

angelface555

I am sorry your mother went through that and if I were you, I would keep that in the back of my mind as sometimes these are genetic or run in families.

Jeanne, so many folks, are showing up with these type of allergies, and they aerial spray here in this country too. Do you know they now can point to the product, "Roundup," in many of these types of allergies?

Thank you MaryPage, I so agree with you but tend to be too passive in these situations. A product of my mother's admonishments I'm afraid.

There are so many chemicals involved nowadays. I have IBS, am lactose Intolerant and am allergic to a chemical doctors believe used to extend the shelf life in processed foods. I have to wash all fresh fruit with a peel or not in a cider vinegar and water solution and cannot eat fast food or processed or microwavable foods.

A Hormel microwavable spaghetti dinner sent me to the hospital with lobster-red skin, hives, throat closing, and other issues that the doctor said are now starting to show up with toddlers and older people. A reaction to the chemical world we live in.

Doctors believe that the IBS, Lactose Intolerance, and chemical allergy which showed up after sixty are due to the increased chemicals in our daily lives and not a regular allergy as this seems to be more common and growing. 

On a more interesting note,

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/08/26/the_bizarre_true_story_behind_the_this_is_a_work_of_fiction_disclaimer.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

"Virtually every film in modern memory ends with some variation of the same disclaimer: “This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events, is purely coincidental.” The cut-and-paste legal rider must be the most boring thing in every movie that features it. Who knew its origins were so lurid?
For that bit of boilerplate, we can indirectly thank none other than Grigori Rasputin, the famously hard-to-assassinate Russian mystic and intimate of the last, doomed Romanovs. It all started when an exiled Russian prince sued MGM in 1933 over the studio’s Rasputin biopic, claiming that the American production did not accurately depict Rasputin’s murder. And the prince ought to have known, having murdered him."

June Drabek

W.Joan, your son Dan is sure a good person. He takes good care of you and even helps with your emailing.God Bless him.

All is well in Stanton, Ca. we had another beautiful day. Cloudy in the morning, then sunshine through the afternoon. Just the way I like it. A high of 80.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Mary Ann

Has anyone considered contacting the chief of police and/or the mayor of Ramsey on the Isle of Man?  Or the newspaper?  I am not sure about Kelly's living in Ramsey, but he did show us a video of the town with some vehicle racing - so long ago I don't remember.

I know Ruth was living with a daughter in Calgary but I don't know the daughter's name.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Patricia and others, I do believe you when you say you are allergic to various foods.  I think I do not have any food allergies, but I am allergic to things in the air, such as dust, mold, trees, grass and ragweed.  I took subcutaneous shots for four years to increase my tolerance to those things and they helped.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Just my opinion, but I don't think Kelly would like it if we tried to track him down to the point of contacting the Chief of Police or Mayor!  I think he is just taking a break from S&F, for his own personal reasons.  He has been posting regularly since way in Senior Net, where he had a couple of different user names over the years. Then he dropped out and reappeared in S&F, with the name of Kelly.

It seems that he was in email or PM contact with many people here in S&F. I believe that someone in his family would have messaged one of his email contacts, and told them if he was seriously ill, or no longer with us.

I believe he will eventually return . . . or maybe not? :-\

wjoan

June, yes he is.  Helps with a lot of things here for me.   Not sure what I would do without him.  He is a treasure, for sure.  :)

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a beautiful Sunday morning here in South Carolina.  According to the forecast it is suppose to get to only 88 degrees today but we usually exceed the prediction by two or three degrees.  This will be a typical Sunday for me as am ready to go to Sunday School and Church.  I will bring something home for our main meal of the day and spend the rest of the day resting and quietly. 

Yesterday was a pretty quiet day.  I did make the trip down to the church to deliver something to the ladies making the pillows and then went down to the cafe to see if any of the guys came there on Saturday for coffee.  I asked the waitress and she said they did not so I didn't stay. 

MaryPage, Jenny has been posting in the S&F Soda Shoppe almost everyday but has been super busy.  I wrote to Kelly several weeks ago via the messaging system here, but never had a response. Kelly is his screen name and not his real name.  I agree with you that we miss our friends when they sort of disappear.

Patricia, your trip on the bus and the apple slices certainly caused you an unpleasant day all around.  Hope you are better much better now.  As you know we have no control over how others perceive us.  It sounds like you were wise to get home as fast as possible.  I didn't take your message as whining at all just stating the situation you had experienced. 

I haven't taken penicillin since the 1980's  when my legs broke out and itched for a solid three weeks.  I also have a milder reaction to Codeine and Morphine, although it isn't as severe or last after the medicine has worn off. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne, I suggested the chief of police and/or mayor because e-mails have not worked.  If Kevin Kelly has died, they might be able to tell you.  If people really want to find him, they'll try something other than what hasn't worked so far.  When he was missing before, a friend filled in for him, but after he returned he said she was not well so would not be posting.  So go ahead and e-mail him and maybe some day he'll respond. 

I think Kelly has a voice activated computer and he has had trouble with it not working.  He cannot use his hands.  He had a landscaping service that he had to give up because of his hands.  I believe he also has special controls on his car so he can drive.

Mary Ann

June Drabek

W.Joan, I have two sons like your Dan..my oldest son, also named Dan, takes care of my major stock holdings, and Gary, the younger and his wife life 20 minutes away and they do everything for me. Gary has power of attorney, so takes care of all my business dealings locally, takes me to appts, etc. and Dori, his wife, does SO much for me. Hung all my pictures here in the Apt., came to visit me a few days ago with a big beautiful bouquet of flowers...no occasion, she just knows I like flowers. So you and I are both extremely blessed.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

wjoan

June, I believe that my oldest son would be the same as my Dan, but he lives in Calif.  Another nice guy.  LOL  I have 3 sons and two daughters.  All are great some just closer than the rest.  Not sure how that happens.  Just does.  Yes we are blessed,

Mary Ann

Since he's going to be gone much of the day, Tom took me to breakfast/brunch.  We went to Mr Burger where Dot and I usually go.  It gave us a chance to talk.  Usually when we're in the car, Tom has a talk show on and I hate to interrupt that if I don't have to because he then shuts off the radio.

It is a nice day and I do have the air on.   One of the Assn officers is to work on my yard today to remove some dirt so they can put down plastic, then stones.  This is to protect the sides of the garages.  Our "resident gardener" removed my myrtle yesterday and will replant it between my garage and building. 

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good afternoon, I finally got outside to read the paper, my back yard is so pretty and green after that heavy rain storm we had, now back to dry weather.
Early this morning, I tried to read my paper and have coffee, but s yellow jack would not leae me alone, then I got a small black mosquito on my arm, I had never seen one like that. then I read in the paper about a Tiger mosquito, that has a very stinging bite.My friend on the other side of the park, said she was bite by one, and it stung so bad she droped her glass.

MaryAnn, will you be able to see the myrtle, when they replant it?

Joan and June you both are so lucky to have such loveling sons.

Patricia, I hope you are feeling better, I am glad you got home safely.

Marilyne, I use to get email from Kelly when he was in seniornet, I forgot what name he used then, then he was not heard from in a while.  He use to like the quize also the post you use to fill in the last line,  My old brain has forgot the name of it but it was a fun thing.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Now the Police Dept. or any other would give info out on anyone or thing In the UK.  I had not heard on by elder brother for a few years and tried that route. Took 2 months and lots of info was had to be given by me just for them to Give me the Red Cross Address. They then contacted my brother to say I was worried. He wrote me that week.
I don't believe Kelly had any type ailment that he would have died from. Not that old either.  Just think how many people we knew both in Seniornet and a few here that just vanished after awhile.. A couple of them from Seniornet I still E-M all the time. Been about 20 years now. Fact just heard from one and he was 90 years old Friday. How time passes. He was still working when we started. So was I.

I miss more the people that we did E-M contact with and have now  passed on. Mostly in UK and one in Belgium.  One lady in Indiana that we E-M daily. Went to Gambling Boats all the time. Called me to say won $10 Thousand and never heard from her . Her daughter E-M me week later to say her mother passed the night she called me.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Quite nice here today. It was the Corn Festival Th. Fri.Sat.  Got rained out Th. Fri. Sat. was O.K after about 11am. To bad not on today.
I will head for Japan house and gardens soon. A big Japanese Festival there today. Always a big crowd.
JeanneP

angelface555

Good morning from another day in the Interior. I slept until 11:00 this morning and am still staying in and recovering. I hope to be fully back by Monday. Even a mild attack may take a day or two for the body to recover fully. I did get a Library book, Wednesday, on arthritis exercises, so I am trying a few of those. If they seem to help, I'll look for the book on Amazon.

I know Kelly's full name, his town and other details. However, I never knew him in SeniorNet. I only started hearing about him when his then girlfriend posted awhile here in S&F. We started corresponding over trivia games and some other stuff, primarily geographical.

I have to tell you; I was out for a couple of months in 2006 when I was working and waiting for a computer repair. A police officer called me at work to tell me someone from the web was concerned about my disappearing and only knew my first name, the town I lived in and where I worked.

He suggested I call her at the phone number he had and let her know I was okay. I was surprised and called her back to let her know I was okay. That started a friendship to this day. It was Adrienne from San Franciso who had taken time and effort to see how I was.

Farrah has worked through so many of her fears. She used to first run out of the living room to the bedroom if you flushed the toilet. Then when she started napping on the bathroom rugs, the sound would startle her into running. Now she jumps onto the shelf to watch it, and I have taken to leaving the lid down as a precaution.

The blender, coffee pot, and coffee grinder are also sounds she seems to ignore these days instead of running. I wonder how bad it would have been if I had taken advice and given her back in exchange for another friendlier feline? She is alert, athletic and very verbal. If you spread out your hands and make a questioning sound, she will come to you and start talking. I wish I understood cat!  :thumbup:

MaryPage

Patricia, I met Adrianne at a SeniorNet Bash back in 2001; eons ago now.  I liked her instantly and enormously.  I miss her posts, and, if you still correspond with her, I wish you would give her warmest regards from MaryPage.  Have things gotten better with her granddaughter?  That was such a sad saga.

JeanneP

MaryPage.  Her Granddaughter must be married now.  Goes back a long way since they found each other. I think she had them over to meet her mother in UK when I was over. Had to be about 11 years old then. I met here one time at the London Bash.  Ages ago
Does Adrianne Still post anywhere. I have not seen any. Think she left her house and moved into a Senior Appt.
JeanneP

angelface555

MaryPage, I left a note for Adrienne to  email me or to check in here to reconnect with you. She is doing well and Etta Sue has recently found a new friendship with a gentleman I believe she dated years ago. She sounds very happy.

Aki now posts just on Facebook and his grandchildren are becoming older. His son gave him a new grandson a year ago, making it two of each. The girls are beautiful now. Many who used to post are now only on Facebook such as Caroline of New Zealand who has another new dog.

MaryPage

Oh, so sad; yet I completely understand.  One reason I do not do Facebook is that I have very limited time available for social media, and if I did do Facebook, I would probably have to follow Caroline's example and give up this.  Besides, my husband, who was in intelligence, thought Facebook a bad idea.  Too much information out there for those who would do us harm, kind of thing.  I prefer to keep a low profile, while at the same time being faithful to who I am.  I never met Caroline, but felt we were, in many ways, soulmates.  So does she have 4 Bichons now, or did she lose one and then get a new one?  Her granddaughters must be grown up by now.  Such lovely children.  I remember Etta Sue, or at least I think I do, had a sister who died.  I never knew Etta Sue well, but her sister was a great friend.  I am aghast to say that I cannot now remember the sister's name.  I used to laugh and say "Senior Moment!"  But now it is getting really tiresome.

angelface555

MaryPage, Carolyne left because of an argument with someone here. She has two bichons now, one who is a recent addition. I think the two girls were her nieces, but it was a long time ago.

Most of the teenagers and young people left a long time ago to more "in spots." There is talk that it has more seniors there than young people, but you are right, it is far more open than here. I post here more than there and it is an open Internet area. I have between 7 and 10 friends but some folks, especially those posting in hot topics or game playing, number their friends in the thousands which to me is crazy and dangerous.

Pat Scot and most of the owners and staff here are on Facebook, posting frequently as well as many who post in Norm's.

I left and went back as my town and state have a large FB presence that I missed. There are literally millions of players on that stage.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is going to be another hot and dry day here. 

Yesterday was a very nice day.  Our minister gave a very good message on being humble.  Our advancing third graders were given Bibles during the church service.  Each was given a children Bible with the pictures of stories and a regular Bible for when they outgrow the children's Bible. 

Today is going to be a full one.  I will leave about 8 this morning to go to our GP's office to pick up another sample inhaler for Pat.  A prescription for the medicine has been submitted to the CVS/Caremart mail order pharmacy but it takes several days on a new prescription.  She has been without the inhaler for several days now and is really noticing the difference.  There is a Walmart across the road from the doctor's office so will go to the pharmacy there to get Pat some needed items.  Then I have my noon meeting and finally Pat has a 4 pm chiropractor appointment.  I also have to get things ready for our dinner tonight.  I plan on having tilapia and a vegetable salad or or regular salad and I am not sure what else at this point.  I have already completed the morning chores and got things in order for Pat's breakfast including getting a bowl of the huge frozen strawberries out of the freezer and set out to thaw.

June and Joan, I am confident that our son will also be very attentive of his mother when I am gone I may also need him more before I leave this earth. 

Patricia, I have missed Adrienne's participating on these new board.  I had the opportunity to meet her at the Atlanta Bash in 1998 and have followed her love of animals and her health issues when I had the opportunity.  She was a lovely lady who donated so much of her time.  I have also missed the postings of Etta Sue as she was a very faithful poster and friend.

Mary Page, I see my comments sort of mirror yours regarding Adrienne. 

deedee

Quote from: JeanneP on August 27, 2016, 02:57:16 PM
I tried that new web site but didn't care for all the little things it was showing. Maybe I don't know the right way of moving things around. Will just keep on old one on for now.

With Kelly, I don't think there is anything wrong other than he wasn't getting the attention he wanted from everyone. After all he posts what. 3000 post in 2 months. We all do less in years. Think he was thinking that when he asked or said something that everyone supposed to answer. Saying Goodnight. Goodmorning does not mean we all reply. That is not what these kind of Forums work like.
Also we have had many people drop out without knowing the reason.  They just find different ways of communicating. Some of us even got E-M from him wanted to do it this way. Again we do that with very few people that we talk to daily in a Forum.
I don't think his medical was anything that would have him going into hospital for. Let just hope he is being kept busy doing other things. If he feels like coming back he will

JeanneP, what a very cruel post.

angelface555

I think we all felt that way, DeeDee. Not everyone is just like everyone else or needs to be. I know Kelly's disability was real and that he had severe pain at times.

I also have a disability, one that I was born with and feel pain with; even tho mine is mild.  I have balance and coordination issues and arthritis all due to an incidence at birth. I have no peripheral vision or sense of depth perception, yet look perfectly healthy with no sign of any issues.

That is until you see me carefully lowering my foot off a high sidewalk stoop and might think, what's up with that, has she been drinking?

There are billions of us on this earth with mild to severe handicaps and the majority look and act just like everyone else. But each one of us struggles with our dilemnas and hopes to find friends and consideration just like everyone else. Not special or singled out, but one of the group.