April 10, 2021, 07:48:26 AM

News:

WELCOME HOME TO S&F!!
We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Random Image

adirondacks2a.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 10, 2021, 07:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Feb 24 2021 8:23pm
mycheal: Spring  thaw has arrived here :)

Feb 21 2021 3:49pm
Oldiesmann: Ours is finally melting.

Feb 20 2021 8:05am
so_P_bubble: 4 inches in Jerusalem!

Feb 13 2021 11:01am
Oldiesmann: Anyone else buried in snow? We got 8 inches here Monday into Tuesday, another half inch or so Wednesday and more is coming next week

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

Jan 01 2021 8:00am
Amy: Happy New Year to you also !

Dec 31 2020 11:16pm
Oldiesmann: Happy new year everyone!

Dec 18 2020 8:22am
mycheal: Ya all stay safe now  >:(

Nov 29 2020 1:51pm
Oldiesmann: You're welcome. Glad you like it :)

Politics

Started by diglady, March 29, 2016, 03:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

February 04, 2021, 02:05:32 PM #750 Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:07:17 PM by patricia19
From CNN today,

"The Justice Department has now brought more than 180 federal criminal cases against rioters and others connected to the US Capitol siege. Prosecutors are digging into some of the histories of those involved, uncovering at least one case of stolen valor (when someone lies about military service or awards) and a New Mexico county official who said he wanted to return for President Biden's inauguration with guns in his car. Newly minted Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas says the type of domestic terrorism seen at the Capitol is "one of the greatest threats" to the US right now, echoing the findings of a 2020 Homeland Security report. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has ordered a staggered pause of operations across the entire US military over the next 60 days so commanders can review the handling of extremism among their ranks."

Now if they would do the same with all the different police forces and private prison guards.

patricia19

Re Twitter;

Over the course of the 2020 campaign, then-President Donald Trump held crowded rallies packed with thousands of his supporters in his effort to secure a second term. He also spent months parroting baseless and outright false claims about the devastating pandemic, frequently contradicting his own officials in the process.

A study published late last year found that Trump's reelection campaign rallies contributed to at least 30 thousand cases of the highly contagious virus, while Trump mocked now-President Joe Biden for holding smaller gatherings that complied with CDC guidelines against them.

Just over two weeks into his tenure, Biden will fly on Air Force One for the first time as President on Friday, returning to his home state of Delaware for the weekend.

Despite its own spread of disinformation surrounding the pandemic, Fox News reported that Biden—who has been vaccinated and is flying on a private government plane—was flouting CDC guidelines.

patricia19

Also via Twitter;

"Even with former President Donald Trump two weeks out of office, Congressman Matt Gaetz (R-FL) remains one of his most vocal defenders in the House of Representatives.

After the 2020 presidential election saw then-President-elect Joe Biden secure a victory, Gaetz amplified the same lies that Trump spewed, falsely arguing that Democrats stole the election by somehow orchestrating widespread fraud.

Trump earned his second impeachment after these lies led a mob of pro-Trump extremists to storm the United States Capitol in a deadly failed insurrection. Just hours after this deadly riot, Gaetz—with other Republican members of Congress—continued his effort to toss out certified electoral votes of swing states Trump lost.

The former President's impeachment trial is set to begin in the Senate next week, and Gaetz has offered to represent Trump on his defense team—even offering to resign from his congressional seat to do so.

Gaetz made the comments in an interview with former Trump advisor and avowed white nationalist Steve Bannon.

When asked by Bannon if he would step down to represent Trump, Gaetz replied:

"I love my district. I love representing them. But I view this cancellation of the Trump presidency and the Trump movement as one of the major risks to my people, both in my district and all throughout this great country. Absolutely. If the President called me and wanted me to go defend him on the floor of the Senate, that would be the top priority in my life."
He went on to gush that Trump was the greatest President of his lifetime and potentially the greatest President the country has ever seen, and that Gaetz would do anything to make sure he got a "full-throated defense."

Even Gaetz critics weren't opposed to the idea—but not for the reasons he pitched it.

"For once, Matt Gaetz has had a great idea!

He want's to be a pundit more than a legislator anyway."
Quote Tweet

diglady

I guess we have to remember Hitler had backers too!

Impeachment trial starts tomorrow. I doubt if there are enough Republicans who are sane enough to vote guilty or who can change their vote when they hear the testimony.

This monster belongs in jail. He is responsible for 450,000 deaths in my mind.

patricia19

I'm not so sure about the sanity part. Besides Trump, this is also Marjorie Taylor Greene, conspiracies and an insurrectionists' party as Lincoln's party has been snuffed out.

diglady

Upsetting: Some idiot wants to name a road northern Arizona for Trump!

Sandy

February 10, 2021, 12:39:07 PM #756 Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:41:11 PM by Sandy

How about naming the
road to the DUMP....

"Dump Trump"   (Perdition Way)

lol

Sing like no one's listening.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like nobody's watching, and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

patricia19

;D  We could start a petition!

patricia19

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Sandy

I have to admit,  I rarely turn on
the news now...  I feel so much better about our
government as it is becoming under Joe Biden. 
Bless his heart. 

he can't please everyone but IMHO,
he is truly a good man,  who will do
his very best to bring some order back
to our government. 

The battle is not over.    It is going to
take a long long time to improve enough  so
that we can have a working two party
system  which our republic needs. 

But I am hopeful that we are on
our way ..

Have a good week Everyone.. 
Pray for peace. (If praying suits you) 

Sandy

Sing like no one's listening.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like nobody's watching, and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

patricia19

The Republican party has kicked out the moderates and become the conspiracy party with pockets to let.

diglady

We need a laugh now and then so:

I met a Magical Irish ☘️ Fairy yesterday who said she would grant me one wish.

"I wish to live forever," I said.

"Sorry," said the Fairy, "That is the only wish that I'm not allowed to grant."

"Fine," I said, I want to die the day after Congress is filled with honest, hard-working, bipartisan men and women who act only in the people's best interests!"

"You crafty little bastard," replied the Fairy.

patricia19

FBI Uncovers Contact Between Trump White House and Proud Boys Before Capitol Attack.

The bureau is also looking into members of Congress who communicated with rioters

Federal law enforcement officials have uncovered contact between the Trump White House and a member of the far-right extremist organization, the Proud Boys, just days before the January 6 attack on the Capitol.

According to a New York Times source, the FBI obtained "location, cellular and call record data revealed a call tying a Proud Boys member to the Trump White House."

Earlier this week, CNN reported that law enforcement officials are looking at communications data to determine "whether lawmakers wittingly or unwittingly helped the insurrectionists." And so far they've found "indications of contact" between "alleged rioters discussing their associations with members of Congress."

On Thursday, a former Trump State Department aide, Federico Klein was arrested for taking part in the attack of the Capitol.

Klein, the first known Trump official to be arrested for crimes related to the insurrection, was charged with several felonies and was allegedly spotted in a video recording assaulting an officer with a riot shield. According to the Washington Post, the FBI said Klein "had a top-secret security clearance that was renewed in 2019" and "was still employed at the State Department as a staff assistant on Jan. 6."

The FBI said that Klein, while wearing a Make America Great Again red hat, could be seen and heard on police bodycam video shouting directions during the insurrection.

"We need fresh people, we need fresh people," Klein said as he and others in the mob assaulted police. According to Politico, although prosecutors asked for Klein to held until trial, the judge set a bail hearing for Tuesday.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/fbi-trump-white-house-proud-boys-capitol-attack-1137922/

patricia19

From CNN;

"2020 election

A US intelligence report has determined that Russia attempted to interfere in the 2020 election to help Donald Trump and hurt Joe Biden. The report also describes a smaller, covert influence campaign by Iran. One of the biggest bombshells of the report confirms what we had assumed last year: Trump and his closest allies publicly embraced Russia's disinformation campaign against Biden, met with Kremlin-linked figures who were part of the effort and promoted their conspiracy theories. CNN's Stephen Collinson writes that the finding underscores a fundamental truth: "The gravest threat to US democracy comes from within."'